• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

A new acquisition...

Powderman

Private
Minuteman
Aug 28, 2004
Washington State
Good afternoon from WA State. Haven't posted in a while.

So. I got an opportunity and could not pass it up. An AI in .308 (A MkII, I believe), with a Leupold 3.5-10 on it for $`1500. I snapped it up.

Got it out to the range, and intended to just do three foulers at 100 yards. I should mention that this rifle is a trade-in from a local SRT team.

I have a very small stash of Hirtenberger .308, 147 grain ball, and that's what I used.

Holy cow! First target is the three rounds of Hirtenberger...then, five of 168 grain GMM and five of 175 grain GMM--and that was with a VERY dim optic that completely subtended the center of the target. I'm about to put an NX8 on it and reshoot.
IMG_20211009_164603958.jpg
IMG_20211023_043251683.jpg
IMG_20211023_043234577.jpg
IMG_20211023_043239559.jpg

Here are my questions:

First, how hard is it to change the barrel on one of these rifles? I have seen a couple of videos, and it looks pretty straightforward.
Next, where do I get the wrench from to do it? What is the twist rate on these rifles?

Finally...any information you all can pass along is well appreciated.

Deal of the day award goes to you!!! Awesome snag

I believe you just need

Vice
Action wrench
Torque wrench
Go/no gauges

Mine uses the single Allen wrench but I think that covers the older rifles

Mile High Shooting or bug holes likely has what you need

Most 308 barrels like my LW on my AIAT are 1:12 twist

Last edited:
Reactions: Gohring65
You can measure rifle barrel twist with a cleaning rod. Google it up. Larry Potterfield of Midway had a nice video

If it shoots as well as the first target shows with factory ammo I would not change the barrel out, develop a load to tighten that first group up a touch and shoot it until the group opens up.

If it works don't fix it,
wade

Ya have the number or name of the guy ya bought the rifle from? If he’s that silly or desperate he has to have something else to give away…👀