• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

A Quick Heads up on the CZ457 Trigger

JAS-SH

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 5, 2020
Hi all,

I use a YoDave spring and have the trigger adjusted to ~1 1/4 pounds with about a 16th of an inch take-up. It was super smooth until lately. While at the range I noticed some annoying scratchiness/grittiness on the take-up. An oh crap moment cause I became really conscious about it and messed up my shooting. This morning I tried the trigger at home and found 3 distinct, but very light grit stops on the take-up. Can't stand that. I hate that feeling and I think about it on every shot.

So, I thought the hell with it, lets take the rifle apart and see what's going on. Got all my tools out, put the rifle on the bench and turned the bright lights on. Then I noticed something weird. I saw hundreds of really tiny yellow/orange spheres all lined up In between the receiver and my KRG stock, on both sides. When I took the rifle apart there were more around the trigger guard and some on the trigger housing.

Thinking it could be unburnt powder, I got a magnifying glass and it wasn't, it was pollen. wiped all that off, and thinking the stuff might have gotten inside the trigger housing I gave it some shots of Blast, a great cleaner from Boretech. Had to wipe some oil thinly on the receiver and some other blued parts because Blast leaves it down to dry metal.

Put the rifle back together, tested the trigger and it's back to OOH so sweet :) Lesson learned....

Maybe if you used some saline nasal spray on it...🤣...just kidding.

However that brings up a good point regarding the trigger. Does this mean it will be particularly susceptible to dust and dirt from less than ideal conditions? It’s something to consider for the hundreds of people now using them for long range .22 matches such as NRL22 and pRS22.

In March, I shot my Savage .22 in a match that was constant light rain with high winds (measured 37mph at one point), in a muddy range in Florida. On the ninth stage, the trigger stopped working and I was done. Took it home, removed it and cleaned it up completely then lightly oiled it. Works fine now. Just too much dirt and grit got in.

I now have my new CZ457 and haven’t shot it yet in crap conditions, but it’s only a matter of time.

However that brings up a good point regarding the trigger. Does this mean it will be particularly susceptible to dust and dirt from less than ideal conditions? It’s something to consider for the hundreds of people now using them for long range .22 matches such as NRL22 and pRS22.
After my episode I would think that in really dusty conditions it is not a matter of if but when. It might not fail outright but gritty it will get. The CZ457 trigger has a lot of openings where stuff can get inside onto the mechanism. I know because I sprayed Blast in all those openings. All that said the KRG stock is a pretty "open" one so that might contribute to getting the stuff in there.

Reactions: ZG47A and lash