• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Suppressors AAC 762-SD can on a .300wm rifle?

GT40MkI

Texas
Minuteman
Mar 19, 2011
West of DFW, Texas
I know, I know...it's not "suggested"...but how do you guys think it'll hold up? It uses a 51t mount instead of the .300's 90t...and is Iconel and stainless instead of Titanium...only .75" shorter...

Occasional use ok? Don't even think about it not even once? How about full auto on a buddy's hk sear v51? If the .300 is specified for a bolt gun and the 762 is gtg for semi and full auto 7.62 and .300BLK, I'd imagine a few mags of .300wm from a bolt gun wouldn't be too bad. Then I sit next to the brake and immediately reconsider...lots of muzzle energy down there...

Specs on both cans below:

7.62-SD
Weight: 19.1 oz
Length: 8.75"
Length added: 7.25"
Diameter: 1.50"
Finish: Moly Resin™
Sound
Reduction: 27-29dB
Mount: 51T Ratchet Mount
Materials: Inconel 718 & 316L SS
MSRP: $ 850

300-SD™
Caliber: 300 WM & 7.62 NATO
Weight: 13.9oz
Length: 9.5"
Length added: 8.9"
Diameter: 1.5"
Finish: Moly Resin™
Sound
Reduction: 28-33dB
Mount: 90T Ratchet Mount
Materials: Grades 5 & 9 Ti
MSRP: $ 1795

Re: AAC 762-SD can on a .300wm rifle?

If AAC is telling you its not suggested for that caliber. I would take their advice. They designed the can and know what its capable of. Can it take a couple 300WM shots thru it? Ya probably, but at what cost are you willing to find out? If AAC finds that you shots an unrated caliber thru the can they will not warranty the repair and you will be paying for it.

Ive run mine on a 300WM with good success, others on this forum have not. AAC warrantied the can for them but I dont know if they still will.The key is barrel length on the 300, longer the better for can survival. Mine is 24in with about 100rds fired. In regards to a HK51, Id do it in a heartbeat. Dont know if AAC makes a mount for the 51 thread pitch.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tom Olson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ive run mine on a 300WM with good success, others on this forum have not. AAC warrantied the can for them but I dont know if they still will.The key is barrel length on the 300, longer the better for can survival. Mine is 24in with about 100rds fired. In regards to a HK51, Id do it in a heartbeat. Dont know if AAC makes a mount for the 51 thread pitch. </div></div>

Indeed they do, I have one on order in M15x1...

My 300wm has a 28" Kreiger barrel...but for all intents and purposes I don't NEED to use the can on the rifle...more of just a curiosity...

Any obvious signs of use on your can after 100 rounds?

no visible signs of distress/bulging etc. I bought a TBAC 30BA to replace it on that platform though

i sure wouldn't do any rapid strings of fire!

I was just PM'ing back and forth with a fella on another forum who had bulged his 762SD with a 26 inch barrel 300 Win Mag. I wouldn't do it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chainring</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I was just PM'ing back and forth with a fella on another forum who had bulged his 762SD with a 26 inch barrel 300 Win Mag. I wouldn't do it. </div></div>

That guy is me. I posted my experiences here in a different thread. But here's the story:

I have a 700P in .300WM - factory rifle with 26" barrel. When I got the can in 2009, I called Mike Mers and asked him if I could use it on this rifle. He asked about the barrel length on my 300 as they had some .gov/.mil users with 20" 300 barrels who had experienced bulged tubes on the SD. But he said that with my 26" barrel it shouldn't be a problem.

So I got their 18t brake for the 300wm and shot 3-400 rounds over the next year and a half with this combo thru the can. I did load development with the 208AMAX and H1000 and have posted the results in another thread on this site Accuracy was great with the can. Suppression was great. The suppressed .300 sounded just like a suppressed .308 to the shooter.

I noticed the can started shooting loose on my .308 bolt gun with the 18t blackout (not brake). But it never shot loose on the .300. Eventually, I noticed that the can was bulged in the blast chamber. It was not a concentric bulge - it was more pronounced at the 3 and 9 o'clock positions - right where the ports were on the brake.

So I think the brake was the culprit and I believe if I had used the blackout instead of the brake that the can would possibly not have bulged.

But the story has a happy ending. Mike offered to replace my SD with the new N6 can at no charge. Of course I would have to pay another tax stamp, but as the N6 costs $200 more than the SD, it was really like paying $200 to upgrade to the newer can. The N6 arrived at my dealer last week. I read the major malfunction testing posts and am a little concerned that the N6 is not as quiet as the SD. But apparently the N6 works better on short barrels and the SD works better on long barrels. I'm going to do a side-by-side comparison between a friend's SD and the new N6, both through nearly identical Noveske 18" N6 rifles so this should be a pretty good comparison.

For the comparison, we will use no scientific, quantifiable process. We will use our ears.

One final note: shooting the .300wm through a can is a WONDERFUL experience. I have no desire to shoot this rifle without the can.

I look forward to hearing your impressions after the comparison!

My dealer has a Yankee Hill titanium QD can and an 18" Noveske N6 rifle as well, so we hope to compare all 3 cans at the same time with nearly identical rifles. If we only had a TBAC and SAS and a couple more AR10s, then we'd really be doing something!

I wouldn't recommend it. I bulged my 7.62SD running it on a 11 inch SBR not entirely the same situation but an over pressure is an over pressure. Luckily on mine at least the damage was minimal but its not a good feeling trashing a can because you used it for something other than its intended use.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: colt933</div><div class="ubbcode-body">But the story has a happy ending. Mike offered to replace my SD with the new N6 can at no charge. Of course I would have to pay another tax stamp, but as the N6 costs $200 more than the SD, it was really like paying $200 to upgrade to the newer can. The N6 arrived at my dealer last week. I read the major malfunction testing posts and am a little concerned that the N6 is not as quiet as the SD. But apparently the N6 works better on short barrels and the SD works better on long barrels. I'm going to do a side-by-side comparison between a friend's SD and the new N6, both through nearly identical Noveske 18" N6 rifles so this should be a pretty good comparison.
</div></div>

I like it when I see manufacturers really take good care of their customers. Good for Mike and AAC.

So we did the 3-way comparison on Wednesday - old AAC Cyclone that had been converted to QD by AAC a long time ago (I called this one a 762SD but may not technically be one - although it was converted to QD back in the good old days when manufacturers could just destroy your can and give you a new one with the same serial number - so they might have just swapped the Cyclone out for a 762SD but marked the can 'Cyclone' and put the same serial number on it- impossible to know at this point), brand new 762SD-N6, and YHM QD Titanium .308 can.

We fired all three cans on three different but nearly identical 18" Noveske N6 rifles. Two of these had AR15 carbine buffer tubes with Slash AR10 heavy carbine buffers, the other had an A2 buffer tube with a Slash AR10 heavy rifle buffer.

We used my M118LR clone load with 178AMAX (LC match brass, 42.8gr Varget, CCI 200).

None of use could tell any difference in level of suppression among the three cans. All three were reasonable and seemed hearing safe.

The N6 is SMALL compared with the other two. And the YHM titanium can, while lighter than the N6, is not really very much lighter. We did not have a postal scale, but according to the manufacturer's websites, the YHM titanium is only 4.85 oz lighter than the N6. It hardly makes a difference.

All three cans provided a reasonable and acceptable level of suppression on these hosts.

I wish we had access to a TBAC and SAS!

Good info, thanks for the report...I wasn't sure on the 7.62 vs the SDN6, and seem ok that I went with the longer, heavier version.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: speedracer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I wouldn't recommend it. I bulged my 7.62SD running it on a 11 inch SBR not entirely the same situation but an over pressure is an over pressure. Luckily on mine at least the damage was minimal but its not a good feeling trashing a can because you used it for something other than its intended use. </div></div>

Was your 11" in .308 or 5.56?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: colt933</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
None of use could tell any difference in level of suppression among the three cans. All three were reasonable and seemed hearing safe. </div></div>

More important than that the can is a 7.62SD, would probably be what generation of 7.62SD it was. The 5 baffle 7.62SD is probably not as quiet as the 8 baffle version.

Reactions: Robspinn