• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors AAC Adapters causing accuracy issues.

Pappasniper

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 13, 2011
AZ
I have 7 AAC cans. I frequently tout the mounts cause no accuracy issues, with or without can. But I have had two guns that the mount has destroyed accuracy. I need one more day on the range to prove it.

Here is the situation. I have 18 SPR with White Oak barrel that shot under a half inch all day long, SSA TRIGGER.... With 69g SMK or 77gr and would shoot VMAX great. It was my go to gun. It had a battle COMP on it. I put a AAC mount and it went to a 3 inch gun with sometimes worse. Crazy 6 inch groups. So I cleaned it and shot and shot , tried multiple loads. Kept on on for months, just thought I'm screwing up and kept making excuses.

I removed mount, threw a birdcage on it and now I'm back under an inch. This is my second such experience .

Anyone else ?

PB

Is this their brake or Blackout mount? You need to make sure they are timed properly and the correct amount of torque applied.

"Under a half inch all day ling, + AAC mount - 3" gun, + bird cage - under an inch" - you're there, we aren't, sounds like more than a mount issue (torque?).

Also, mirage could play a factor into your 100 yard shooting on a hot day. I had a rifle that would not group better then one inch, I even knew it was more capable then that. When I took it out to 500+ yards it shot perfect. Come to find out the mirage was destroying me at 100 yards on the days I was zeroing. I never considered it and felt pretty stupid!

Make sure you are at proper torque specs and specify what brake you are using.

I have had the exact same issue. I put an AAC blackout on my 18" SPR and my 1 moa gun went to rounds just disappearing. Tried it with 4 different loads. Glad to see it may not be my gun or scope issues.

This has been discussed at length. Use search function. It is possible/likely that the mount is out of spec. Assuming we're talking about the 51t mount, check and see whether or not the mount locks up solidly and fully engages at the last tooth. If it does not, and the latch is not flush when fully torqued, you could have a considerable amount of play, when the latch reengages the previous tooth. AAC would tell you this is a non issue, I'm telling you that is bullshite. I had to time several mounts myself and it helped with accuracy no question. 2 of 3 of my AAC mounts were not locking up correctly. It's a poor design, poorly implemented. Either the cans are out of spec or the mounts are, either way, timing the mount is the only way to correct it. You can send it back to AAC if that's the case (good luck), or you can do it yourself. There is a great DIY thread on here about correcting the mounts a gentleman did a while ago. Search and find it. Good luck.

This issue has been debated to many many many extents.

There are varying levels of bandwagon riders that will appear. Here are my concise and proven thoughts on the topic.

The AAC quick attach system is not a system to use and expect precision. Due to the way the can and mounts mate up there will never be a guarantee of the repeatable precision that you expect out of your precision equipment.

My issue, as others have experienced is that the can will back off about half a tooth and rock back and forth during shot strings. I did contact AAC on this issue and they replaced the internals of my can. They were professional, courteous, and everything happend in a timely manner. That said, they designed a product which clearly fails at the application we are applying it to. Some fanboys will chime in and blame it on anything but the can. Fact is I believe in your case it was not the shooter or other equipment but indeed it was the can/mounting.

If you dig around one guy has a "fix". It isn't permanent and it doesn't always work. AAC has not formally stated whether this fix voids or doesn't void your warranty.

As for a solution. My AAC can is a paperweight. I won't put it on anything, tried different mounts, tried different rifles, nada.

I am currently waiting on 2 TBAC cans a 30-P1 and a 223-P1 and I'm not looking back.

There are varying levels of bandwagon riders that will appear. Here are my concise and proven thoughts on the topic.

The AAC quick attach system is not a system to use and expect precision. Due to the way the can and mounts mate up there will never be a guarantee of the repeatable precision that you expect out of your precision equipment.

My issue, as others have experienced is that the can will back off about half a tooth and rock back and forth during shot strings. I did contact AAC on this issue and they replaced the internals of my can. They were professional, courteous, and everything happend in a timely manner. That said, they designed a product which clearly fails at the application we are applying it to. Some fanboys will chime in and blame it on anything but the can. Fact is I believe in your case it was not the shooter or other equipment but indeed it was the can/mounting.

If you dig around one guy has a "fix". It isn't permanent and it doesn't always work. AAC has not formally stated whether this fix voids or doesn't void your warranty.

As for a solution. My AAC can is a paperweight. I won't put it on anything, tried different mounts, tried different rifles, nada.

I am currently waiting on 2 TBAC cans a 30-P1 and a 223-P1 and I'm not looking back.

Agreed. It is a great workhorse can, granted the mount is not an issue. Not built for precision. Doesn't mean that you can't squeeze the full potential from it if you know what the root problem is and it's an addressable issue. If you are looking for a QD can that fits a precision bill I would suggest researching TBACs 30BA and SWRs specwar 7.62. Even if the mount is a correctable issue, slapping lipstick on a pig doesn't get you where you are wanting to be. Jmtc

Sounds like he's not even running the can yet, just seeing an accuracy degradation with the mount installed. I could be wrong...

Just wanted to chime in - 24" Heavy Schneider BBL Rem 700 AAC BREAKOUT W/7.62SDN-6...

I have seen some accuracy issues but it typically happens after a string of rounds, assuming due to heat. I would however love to get that mount timed so that the suppressor hits the last ratchet properly. I wonder if thats someone any smith can do or do I need someone with some serious mojo...???

I used the "fix" on my 762-SD and it has helped me tremendously with accuracy on my bolt guns.

Got my break mount timed on my LMT MWS. My can fits nice and tight with no wiggle or wobble. I guess the breaks are better than the Blackout's or I got lucky. Either way I'm happy with my can. I will post more updates after shooting this weekend to see how it holds up during the 200 yard zero process.

I used the "fix" on my 762-SD and it has helped me tremendously with accuracy on my bolt guns.

So did I for my sdn6. FUnny thing is I haven't cleaned the brakeout or the sdn6 so after shooting more than 5 rounds through it after removing and reattaching the sdn6 onto the rifle the sdn6 just don't wanna come out after a day of shooting (100 rounds or less). I probably have over 2K rounds through it already and still works fine.

I have a brakeout on my bolt and can shoot well under an MOA at a hundred with and without the sdn6 on.

I heard over torquing anything on your barrel can cause accuracy problems... especially when the barrel heats up.
That Rocksett stuff works great if your not shooting full-auto and or bump/rapid firing. I burnt mine off my Krink bump firing with the sdn6 on and saw it coming loose as the "can" was just rotating.

If I had a chance to grab another one of these suppressors... my next "can" would be a "direct thread on" type.

I just mounted a Blackout flash hider /suppressor mount on a Remmy 700 and plan on running my M4-2000 suppressor on it. I have another blackout mount on my sig 556 and never had any mounting or accuracy issues with the "other" mount. It will be interesting to see how it performs on the bolt gun.

Does no one think that part of the problem is expecting precision rifle accuracy from an assault rifle suppressor?

If you are using a bolt gun, AAC makes cans for you. They are called the Cyclone and the Hunter. Direct, thread-mount, non-asymmetric baffles, straight bore, etc. They are designed for precision.

AAC's QD cans are designed for military carbines and the like. The mounts have a little wobble, the baffles are asymmetric to prioritize sound reduction over accuracy, the bores are taper EDM'ed because SBRs and machine guns frequently have some bullet yaw in rapid fire, etc. These are not designed for precision rifles, they are designed for door-kicking, with guns that are typically 2-4moa shooters on a good day.

This whole thread is like someone saying "My torque wrench doesn't cut wood very well, so it's a piece of shit."

Does no one think that part of the problem is expecting precision rifle accuracy from an assault rifle suppressor?

If you are using a bolt gun, AAC makes cans for you. They are called the Cyclone and the Hunter. Direct, thread-mount, non-asymmetric baffles, straight bore, etc. They are designed for precision.

AAC's QD cans are designed for military carbines and the like. The mounts have a little wobble, the baffles are asymmetric to prioritize sound reduction over accuracy, the bores are taper EDM'ed because SBRs and machine guns frequently have some bullet yaw in rapid fire, etc. These are not designed for precision rifles, they are designed for door-kicking, with guns that are typically 2-4moa shooters on a good day.

This whole thread is like someone saying "My torque wrench doesn't cut wood very well, so it's a piece of shit."

I don't know.. but in my humble opinion I think the barrel profile is much to consider as well when your mounting some weight on the end of that barrel.
I also got my SDN6 for the reason of many who can't afford many cans and try to get more bang for their $buck$.
I don't seem to have to much accuracy problems with my SDN6 mounted on my contoured Bartlein barrel

I shot to 400, 500, 600 yards.., and then back to 100 yards with this 5 shot group in the end with my SDN6 mounted on my bolt rifle.

The point is is the mount is flawed, or at least a number of them are, or perhaps it's the suppressor internals. Either way, if you have to Wylie coyote gunsmith parts yourself in order to achieve its full potential, there is something inherently wrong with the design, whatever its design and purpose are for. With a solid lockup, there is no reason why you can't be shooting 1 MOA with a bolt gun, granted you and your rifle can achieve that feat. Is there a better choice in suppressors for that, of course, but that isn't the point. Or was it? It's early and I haven't had a full cup of coffee.

Incorrect. The original 762-SD in the 18t and 51t models were designed as QD Precisions cans. We are not talking about new gen 91t mounts at this time.
The NEW 762SD-N6 was more geared for 300 blackout and heavy use on MG's but the can should still be able to go on a bolt gun and maintain 1/2 MOA accuracy.

The platform doesn't really matter in this argument, we are concerned that the mounts AAC puts out are not designed or made with care. They would get rid of the poor fitment if they wanted to. I guess they have little drive to address the problem.

KYS

You mentioned you did the "fix" to your AAC can. I have tried to find it on the forum to no avail. Can you link it for me or describe what you have done? I have a 762-SD on 18t mounts that works great with most calibers but not with some (M1A). I shoot 223, 300 Whisper, 6.5 Grendel, 308 and 300 Win with it so it has been quite versatile. I do have two precision cans coming (eventually) but having one can that I could afford at the time and switch between guns has been great.

Skeeter

The platform doesn't really matter in this argument, we are concerned that the mounts AAC puts out are not designed or made with care. They would get rid of the poor fitment if they wanted to. I guess they have little drive to address the problem.

If people keep buying their poorly designed crap mounting system, then there is no reason to properly redesign it so it functions properly.

If people keep buying their poorly designed crap mounting system, then there is no reason to properly redesign it so it functions properly.

How do we have a choice? You think they will EVER stop production on the mounting system when the military and large stocking dealers are buying them up as fast as they are made.
AAC makes SOME good items, but they also make a lot of stuff that just barely should pass most QC tests. Also, they are so mainstream and cool that everyone wants the latest and greatest from them.

I dont see it changing anytime soon.

Maybe it's poor QC, but the majority of AAC mount users don't have these issues. That would point to quality control problems rather than a basic design flaw. There's not really anything about the blackout or brake that make me think the design itself promotes poor precision.

KYS, the "original" 762-SD was like 6 generations of silencer ago, probably only a couple people in this thread have ever seen or handled one. 762-SDs are long-discontinued now, but even the later generations had asymmetric baffles that were not made for precision shooting. I reject the notion that you can buy a current 18T or 51T silencer from AAC that was designed with precision rifle use in mind.

You stated that platform is irrelevant here. That is utter nonsense. If you are not pairing platform to silencer correctly, then you cannot expect optimum outcome. It's like putting a .308 can on a .300RUM and complaining that it doesn't perform well. You state their mounts "are not designed or made with care." I disagree, I think they are well-machined (as most modern CNC products are, frankly) and work quite well... on the assault rifles they were intended for. They have publicly acknowledged for years that the mounts have wobble and that, for maximum precision, one should choose one of their thread-mount suppressors. If you then go and buy the "wrong" can for your 1/4MOA laserbeam, that's on you.

How do we have a choice? .

We DO have a choice, don't waste your money buying AAC cans. Plenty of people, including die hard "Kool Aid Drinkers", have backed away from AAC especially since Remington took them over and drastically changed Corp policy, QC, etc.

Plenty of other can companies that make quality cans without the issues of AAC.

Maybe it's poor QC, but the majority of AAC mount users don't have these issues. That would point to quality control problems rather than a basic design flaw. There's not really anything about the blackout or brake that make me think the design itself promotes poor precision.

KYS, the "original" 762-SD was like 6 generations of silencer ago, probably only a couple people in this thread have ever seen or handled one. 762-SDs are long-discontinued now, but even the later generations had asymmetric baffles that were not made for precision shooting. I reject the notion that you can buy a current 18T or 51T silencer from AAC that was designed with precision rifle use in mind.

You stated that platform is irrelevant here. That is utter nonsense. If you are not pairing platform to silencer correctly, then you cannot expect optimum outcome. It's like putting a .308 can on a .300RUM and complaining that it doesn't perform well. You state their mounts "are not designed or made with care." I disagree, I think they are well-machined (as most modern CNC products are, frankly) and work quite well... on the assault rifles they were intended for. They have publicly acknowledged for years that the mounts have wobble and that, for maximum precision, one should choose one of their thread-mount suppressors. If you then go and buy the "wrong" can for your 1/4MOA laserbeam, that's on you.

Wrong again. There are stocking dealers all over the country that still have the 51t models. They were not "like 6 generations ago", the current 762SD-N6 is the 3rd generation of design.
It is a design flaw when the 45 degree angle of the suppressor mates up to a flat surface on the brake thus not allowing it to shoulder properly.

Most of the people buying a suppressor in todays world do not get to try before they buy. So how exactly are you pairing up the technology to the platform? It's usually a blind guess, you can research all you want by always remember "your mileage will vary".

Again, the first two generations of suppressor were DESIGNED AS A PRECISION RIFLE CAN. Wether it was semi or bolt, it did not matter. I have a 51t model on a GAP build that repeatedly shoots in the .25's

Well machined? Sure...
Well made? Maybe
Designed with 100% function rate..... no way. This is not just a few mounts, this is many. I have read dozens of these stories over the forums.

We DO have a choice, don't waste your money buying AAC cans. Plenty of people, including die hard "Kool Aid Drinkers", have backed away from AAC especially since Remington took them over and drastically changed Corp policy, QC, etc.

Plenty of other can companies that make quality cans without the issues of AAC.

They don't care! They are covered up in military and LE purchases. They dont need a few Kool Aid drinkers and casual shooters to make their loot.
Thus my point, without a big contract we wont see any significant changes to the products. They design for the military and we get them after they pass the trials. That is exactly why it took them nearly 3 years to redesign the 300SD.

How to fix AAC 51T tooth jump?

I too would like to know more about the "Fix" and have not been able to find it. Part of the problem is the search terms of "AAC" "51T" and "Fix" are all words too short to search!

On Saturday I shot the following at 100yd with a SA 308 and FGMM 175 with a 51T Brake and my AAC 762SDN. As you can see, the change in POI when it comes loose is significant. I did not continue to shoot a group with it loose. I tried to remove material from the bevel of my brake but have not removed enough to get to the next tooth. I have been marking the inside of the can with Sharpie so I can see where it is mating. I'm not the best with a file, I'm thinking of taking it to my gunsmith and see if we can do this on the lathe to keep everything true.

Am I taking material off in the right place? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Group without Suppressor.

Group with Suppressor

I too would like to know more about the "Fix" and have not been able to find it. Part of the problem is the search terms of "AAC" "51T" and "Fix" are all words too short to search!

On Saturday I shot the following at 100yd with a SA 308 and FGMM 175 with a 51T Brake and my AAC 762SDN. As you can see, the change in POI when it comes loose is significant. I did not continue to shoot a group with it loose. I tried to remove material from the bevel of my brake but have not removed enough to get to the next tooth. I have been marking the inside of the can with Sharpie so I can see where it is mating. I'm not the best with a file, I'm thinking of taking it to my gunsmith and see if we can do this on the lathe to keep everything true.

Am I taking material off in the right place? Any suggestions are appreciated.

Group without Suppressor.

Group with Suppressor

Thank you posting that picture. i have never been able to visually illustrate this problem quite like you just did.

Wrong again. There are stocking dealers all over the country that still have the 51t models. They were not "like 6 generations ago", the current 762SD-N6 is the 3rd generation of design.
You don't know suppressor history nearly as well as you think you do.

1. 762-SD with spot welds and bunghole endcap, 18T mount, flat blast baffle
2. 762-SD with spot welds and flat endcap, 18T mount, flat blast baffle
3. 762-SD with robot welds and flat endcap, 18T mount, flat blast baffle
4. 762-SD with robot welds and flat endcap, 51T mount
5. 762-SDN-6 with fluted cone blast baffle, 51T mount

That's at least 5 generations named off the top of my head. With some research there are probably 1-2 more evolutions not listed (for example, I'm not sure when they started taper EDM'ing the bores after assembly, or when they added the inconel blast baffle to the 18T silencers).

All of the above also ignores your completely erroneous statement that all of these were designed to be precision rifle cans. That simply isn't true. Manufacturers have known for years that good tight direct threading was the most precise mounting method; QD mounts in general were designed as a response to cans vibrating loose on semi-auto rifles, and AAC acknowledged the mount wobble from day 1 and have never attempted to conceal it.

Anyway, I'm done in this thread. Good luck to everyone trying to make a smoothie with a toaster. Next time maybe purchase a blender.

You don't know suppressor history nearly as well as you think you do.

1. 762-SD with spot welds and bunghole endcap, 18T mount, flat blast baffle
2. 762-SD with spot welds and flat endcap, 18T mount, flat blast baffle762-SD with spot welds and flat endcap, 18T mount, flat blast baffle
3. 762-SD with robot welds and flat endcap, 18T mount, flat blast baffle

4. 762-SD with robot welds and flat endcap, 51T mount
5. 762-SDN-6 with fluted cone blast baffle, 51T mount

That's at least 5 generations named off the top of my head. With some research there are probably 1-2 more evolutions not listed (for example, I'm not sure when they started taper EDM'ing the bores after assembly, or when they added the inconel blast baffle to the 18T silencers).

All of the above also ignores your completely erroneous statement that all of these were designed to be precision rifle cans. That simply isn't true. Manufacturers have known for years that good tight direct threading was the most precise mounting method; QD mounts in general were designed as a response to cans vibrating loose on semi-auto rifles, and AAC acknowledged the mount wobble from day 1 and have never attempted to conceal it.

Anyway, I'm done in this thread. Good luck to everyone trying to make a smoothie with a toaster. Next time maybe purchase a blender.

Probably because I quit buying AAC cans when they refused to admit their mounts are a serious issue to accuracy.
The 3 colors signify 3 generations of "technology" separation.

Straight from the owner and developer of AAC, before he was fired by Remington, he told me the 762SD was designed as a fast attach precision rifle can. Bolt or semi. I think I will take his word over yours.
I also own the 3 generations of the can currently. 762SD 18t, 762SD 51t, 762SD-N6. If there were spinoffs in those three then they were not advertised as different models and that is a fact. Kevin was a good guy, you could have learned a lot from him in regards to AAC products and where they WERE going.

I will put my 51t AAC 762SD up against any can in the accuracy department with the properly adjusted brakes.

Last edited:
We build a lot of custom precision uppers. Occasionally, we try to work with some customer supplied parts. That was my first exposure to AAC muzzle devices, several years ago.

Shooting unsuppressed, I've had such bad luck on multiple occasions with accuracy degradation using AAC muzzle devices that I just can't work with them.

I have several 51T mounts and an SDN6. What I can say good is that the can works really well. Very quiet with Blackout subs and good with all the supers I've used --they all sound about like an unsuppressed .22lr, but the subs are even quieter.

But the mounts... Two 5.56 lock up with very little motion and very little rotational motion, one a Brakeout, one a Blackout. The groups open up about 1MOA and are generally a little low depending. It locks up well on a .300BLK with mostly rotational motion that actually hasn't affected that particular one a much as I thought it would. About the same, 1MOA or so, but I have little data on that one. On the 6.5G, which I wanted as a tack driver, I carefully ground down the bevel on the mount until it locks up nice and tight. It doesn't move, and groups with it are much, much tighter, going from .33MOA to 1MOA with little to no vertical shift. It does have quite a heavy barrel. I'm afraid to use it on an FAL, it wiggles so much, and AAC doesn't care to replace it. They say it's okay without even seeing it. I can see, looking down the bore, the baffles when I wiggle it! It has wiggle on them all, but I only use it on one .30 caliber weapon, the .300BLK and it's okay on that one. AAC won't cover warranty on the mount, and if you have a problem with that can and you used that mount and tell them or they figure out you modified it, they won't warranty the can either. That's if you can get them to look at it; end cap strikes aren't covered and some baffle strikes aren't either if I recall right. Great folks.

All in all, were I to do it over, I'd have gotten two good thread ons from another good reputable dealer with good reviews and good CS for a little more. The QD isn't all it's cracked up to be, really. I mean, it's nice, but in a do over, like I said, a good small and light 5.56 can and a good, quiet and well made 7.62 can would be the way to go. Have all the barrels threaded for the cans on site if possible. It'll be good for AR's as well as tack driving bolt guns. That's my opinion.

Many years ago I bought an AAC suppressor. They shipped it without threading the mount. Sent back, returned with wrong thread size. Sent back again and shot. Did not cycle weapon. Returned again and got back a completely rebuilt can. Still didn't work. Made a formal complaint and was basically told to get fukd. Wanna guess how many more suppressors I have bought from them over the years?

Kevin was a good guy, you could have learned a lot from him in regards to AAC products and where they WERE going.
lol, thanks for the advice? He and I communicated with some regularity. I knew about a number of AAC products, like the Tirant, months before the public because of my talks with him.

Whatever, this thread is dead anyway.

lol, thanks for the advice? He and I communicated with some regularity. I knew about a number of AAC products, like the Tirant, months before the public because of my talks with him.

Whatever, this thread is dead anyway.

It was dead..... Till you drummed up a 3mo old post.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk