• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International Pics

Re: Accuracy International Pics

Id,

In the second pic, are those the rubber shoes on the AI bipod? Where can I get them?

I got the rubber shoes from AI in UK

L1000227.jpg

<span style="font-size: 8pt">Lowlight, if it's a problem, I can post the pic without the text - I just put it on because I think it looks cool!</span>

Regarding the AE barrel change, it is different from the AW but can be done with the same barrel change kit.
The action on the AW is a one piece CNC machined part with an integral recoil lug. Barrel removal and replacement can be easily completed and does not impact the recoil lug or action.
On the AE there is a seperate recoil lug. The action has a rear bolt and the front of the action is held down by the recoil lug so there is a threaded hole in the lower portion of the recoil lug. In order to change the barrel on the AE it requires losening the recoil lug and therefore the rear action bolt. Barrel change is then done in the same way as the AW but after completion of a barrel change then the rear action bolt and recoil lug bolt have to be retorqued. This is just like an AICS kit on a Remington 700. Basically the same but with just a little extra work in torquing/untorquing.

Tom- what would be the torque specs on the AE bolts(rear action bolt and recoil lug bolt) ? ...and by the way great job on Discovery Channel "Future Weapons".

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RSR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Tom- what would be the torque specs on the AE bolts(rear action bolt and recoil lug bolt) ? ...and by the way great job on Discovery Channel "Future Weapons".
</div></div>

I know my name ain't Tom, but anyway
smile.gif

Torque.jpg

<span style="font-size: 14pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">Corr.: Action Retaining Screws under AE shall be 10 Nm </span></span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Id</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I got the rubber shoes from AI in UK

L1000227.jpg

<span style="font-size: 8pt">Lowlight, if it's a problem, I can post the pic without the text - I just put it on because I think it looks cool!</span> </div></div>

You don't happen to have a full resoultion/size of this picture? It is awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MrButterpants</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
You don't happen to have a full resoultion/size of this picture? It is awesome. </div></div>
Yes I do - just PM your email.

Tom, are you sure - I got this list from AI in UK?
I will check it with AI in UK and come back - sure I'll be pleased to chance the numbers if you are right!
Can you agree with the rest of the list?

I was wrong and you are right - correct figure is 10Nm, apparently the figure was changed about a year ago!
I'm sorry!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tomirwin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Id,
Not sure who you checked with at AI in the UK, but that is usually me. Glad you now have the correct information </div></div>
PM on its way!

anyone have the AIs with the new tan color skins?

There are some pics on TacPro's website of the 10,000th AW rifle. It is one the table with tan sides. This was at the Shot Show '07.

Cut

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CST</div><div class="ubbcode-body">anyone have the AIs with the new tan color skins? </div></div>
The green is my doing, not the OD molded color.

IM001128.jpg

Here's my factory stock AE308 with USO 3.2-17 SN3-TPal illum GAP cm reticle on 34mm AI mount with infamous USO bubble level.
AE-USO-rt.jpg

AE-USO-SN3-T-Pal.jpg

AE-USO-Bubble.jpg

So are Accuracy International rifles as good as a cheap custom? Like how well do those rifles shoot on average?

AI rifles (not a Remington or other action in an AICS), while some are capable of it, are not known for shooting incredibly tight groups. Their value comes from the durability. They scope can be taken off, rifle could be dropped, etc... and it will still hold zero and shoot. If somebody could pull up the video of the test where he takes off scope, changes barrels, drops it, and fires a group, that would be great. Thanks

I usually shoot dots instead of groups for practice, but here is a 3-shot group from an AWP barrel with 5000 rounds through it (and 1500 since last cleaning). The two shots on the far right were sighting in the scope. The left-hand group is 3x 155 Scenars and measured 0.12 MOA. My 338 will also shoot "same hole" groups at 100 yards.

For the kind of practical shooting we do (as opposed to short-range KD benchrest), the difference between 1/8th MOA and 1/4th or even 1/2 MOA is moot because estimating wind to better than 1 mph over 1000 yards is virtually impossible.

[ link to LARGER image ]

The comparison to a "cheap custom" is laughable. On the one hand, you have a factory sniper rifle designed from the ground up to be bombproof, reliable, maintainable, and retain zero, and on the other hand, you have something patched together on a commercial action (Remington) whose origins date back 100 years.

-z

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: supertac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AI rifles (not a Remington or other action in an AICS), while some are capable of it, are not known for shooting incredibly tight groups. Their value comes from the durability. They scope can be taken off, rifle could be dropped, etc... and it will still hold zero and shoot. If somebody could pull up the video of the test where he takes off scope, changes barrels, drops it, and fires a group, that would be great. Thanks </div></div>
I must respectfully disagree here. My AI rifles have all shot as well as any expensive customs that I have built or shot. I have had the $3000 Remington builds that didn't shoot any better than the AI AE's and the AI's are much more solid, smooth and robust. I Love Remingtons, but would take the AI's over them any day.

Chris

I don't think there is really any disagreeance at all actually. I should have made it more clear in my statement. What I wanted to say was that AI's are known for their durability and robustness. They are not known for teeny-tiny groups, although many AI rifles do shoot these groups. It is their durability that makes them desirable.

I have a question for the AW owners. Can the end user switch calibers? Say a 338LM converted to a 300WM or the 308 to 260?

As for the comparisons between the Customs and the AI rifles I personally feel the break down goes AE, Custom (not a Rem but rifles built on Stiler, GA7K, Surgeon actions) then the AW. I spent many months window shopping before getting a precision rifle and read piles of reviews and opinions prior to getting one.

For the cost the AE is a great rifle and they shoot well. I honestly have a hard time believing that it will go toe to toe with a custom in regards to accuracy. I'm not taking this into combat so accuracy was my primary focus. When I considered the AE I factored in it would get a replacement tube from GAP which added considerably to the end cost. At this point I should admit that my logic may not make sense to everybody but this is how my mind works and the voices in my head agree
smile.gif
Aside from the barrel I had to ask what was unique about the AE over a Custom specifically a Surgeon in an AICS. The AE unlike its big brother is not bonded to the sub frame (lack of a better word) and is bolted to it just as a 700 in an AICS so no clear advantage there. What ultimately swayed it for me was the availability of repair parts for a 700 based action if ever needed I know that I can order new firing pins, springs, extractors etc. from Brownells and have it in a few days as opposed to waiting to get it from Tac Pro not to mention that most shops with an in house smith will probably have what you need already. Also the Surgeon and GA7K have identified the weak points of the 700 and corrected them. There are very few truly new actions out there AW and the ICON come to mind but other than that the rest are based on Mauser, Rem and Winchester or an amalgamation of several so I don’t think the 100 year old technology issue should be a deterrent…but then again I carry 1911's so maybe its just me.

The AW is another beast all together and I think that all around it has many advantages over the customs and the AE. The question of the barrel still is in my mind with this but I read that GAP makes barrels no problem and the end user can install without having to send the rifle to them I considered the cost of the "Kit" (999.00)to change the barrels and decided I have everything except for the action tool which looks easy enough to make myself. The AW has a completely different action from the AE with many innovative features, the nod goes to the AW on this. Lastly the factor of durability will always go to the AW in my book.

So the end comparison for me was an AE (3200.00) and a new barrel (350.00 plus install shipping and insurance both ways), a Surgeon in an AICS (3700.00 delivered) or the AW (4800.00 in 308 and again figure a barrel without the install charge). I ended up spliting the difference and got the Surgeon thinking in terms of accuracy I think it was the best choice of the three and had equal durability to the AE, to be blunt the AW was considerably more than I was willing to spend…maybe one day.

Off topic I also was dead set on the TRG but the pressed in barrel was a real negative feature for me because as much as I like the TRG you are stuck with the factory tube and from what I read it can only be replaced at the factory (Beretta ships them back to Finland).

Once I find some suitable places to shoot to 1K I would like to get a 338LM or 300WM and will more than likely go with the AWM so Its not like I'm AI bashing just trying to explain to those who like myself were torn between all of these great rifles what lead me to the choice I made. Besides its going to be a year or two before I can afford an AWM and SB PM2.

DCC

I want what you are on, ( good drugs ) , since when has Sako pressed in the barrel , like Steyr , its a swagged thread connection , they said it was a swagged thread was more precise .

Pefhaps "Pressed in" was the incorrect verbage. I looked for the two artical which adressed rebareling the TRG and that I got the info from but it was a few months ago and I dont remember how I came to them...following link after link dont recal how or where it was.

Thing that I was getting at is regardless how they are made a specific type of tooling is required for install a press of some sort or it could be a hydralic swaging machine. Actually have a Steyr Scout and could not find anyone (Gunsmiths) who would attempt a rebarrel, again this was about 6 years ago but everyone I emailed said they were not "Set up" for Steyrs never did ask what specificaly that ment but I assume its more than putting it in a barrel vise and spinning it off. If there is something I missed here I would be interested to know as I have not discounted a TRG in 338 but the AI twist is better from what I read. So does anyone know if a TRG can be rebarrel with something other than a SAKO barrel?

The only thing google turns up in regards to rebareling the TRG is some were rebarreled at the factory for 308 warbird (lazzaroni). Other than that nothing.

Would like more info if anyone has it.

DCC

DCC: I have a new AE and it shoots well under 1/2 inch groups with the factory barrel. just wanted to let you know. There probably is no need to have it re-barreled unless you wanted another caliber like a .260.

Zak, I read that artical a while ago and even went out and bought the mag so I would have a copy for later when I decide to get the 338. I keep rereading it online then have to convince myself to wait a while to get one. Very well written artical.

Hitman, I have no doubts that you got yourself a shooter. As I said I did a few months of reserch prior to diciding on what to get. Reading past posts here I have read from others that their AE's were 1 MOA and they were dissapointed to guys who were 1/4 MOA and dancing in the street and couldnt be more pleased with it.

Gents the fellow asked the question of how the AI's compared to a custom 700. I think some of you thought that I was bagging on the AE which I wasnt so if anyone took it that way thats not the way it was intended. I would find it hard to believe that there is any shooter who dosnt drool over the AW unless they just plain dont like the stock. There is no comparison in my mind to anything else. Now I still think that the decision between an AE and a tricked out 700 (Surgeon or GAP7K) becomes much more difficult. I dont see any clear ADVANTAGE of one over the other across the board. Neither is bonded to the stock like the AW so ruggedness or durability is equal in my mind. The perceived advantages will be based on the individual. For me the barrel was an issue as I wanted a specific brand, length and twist. The "infastucture" if you want to call it that was another concern basically I have a certain comfort level with the 700 due to being able to get parts easily in the event they are needed. The 308 will remain my primary shooter for a while, at a later time when I get a Magnum I wont be so concerned about parts because I can live with the down time if it ever happens. Its all a matter of personal opinion and I wasnt trying to railroad this thread so I'm sorry.

I'll post the question about the SAKO in a new thread (in gunsmithing)and hope I'm wrong because based largly on Zaks artical I have a high interest in the TRG and can actually afford one as opposed to selling one of the dirt bikes to get the AWM.

DCC

Here is my AI AW Covert,
AWCOVERT01.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">If the images don't display correct, it is until I get a new photo gallery, this one has been a bear to work with.</span>
AWCOVERT03.jpg

FLG_137301.jpg

And my AE,
AIAELTM_8.jpg

AIAELTM_6.jpg

AIAELTM_4.jpg

My other AW is more of a working gun and not very pretty, soon I will slap my .260 barrel on it, and be off to the races with it.

Since I recently painted a couple of my AI Skins, I thought I would revive the thread:

Newer Version:
AIgoodness.jpg

Older Version:
6AI.jpg

Lowlight's AI AW Covert is probably the #1 rifle on my dream list right now! That thing is sweet!!! I'm about to move, which is going to tie up alot of my resources here for awhile, but once settled again, that rifle will be next for me!!

Awesome photo work, and even more awesome rifle!!! Don't even want to inquire what the price tag might be, as I might be tempted before I really should financially!!!

you guys with the coverts, how do the suppressors do? sound wise?

how about velocity out of the 16inch barrel?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jjmcrowell</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
DSC09125a.JPG

DSC09128a.JPG
</div></div>

I am very interested in this setup. please give any and all info on this rifle, ie: Barrel, Stock, etc... looks like a Remington receiver.

does any one have any pictures of an awsm without the skins? i have been searching the web for pictures of one but have been unsuccessful.