• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Accuracy International Picture Thread

Honestly the weigh savings of a carbon barrel are so negligible...look at the weight of a steel 16 vs a cf 16. Carbon is really only worth it on longer tubes
Oh yeah, the CF was never for the weight savings, I just like CF and had been wanting to try a proof CF for myself. You'll save more or equal to cf with just a contour change in steel.

Oh yeah, the CF was never for the weight savings, I just like CF and had been wanting to try a proof CF for myself. You'll save more or equal to cf with just a contour change in steel.

It's all good all ya had to say was...

giphy (2).gif

• Haha
Reactions: M8541Reaper
Assume MSPR & AXMC/AXSR 300NM 26” prefit

Carbon Proof Barrel
Cost: $1,199.00
Weight: 3.937lbs
Cost/lb = $304.55

SS Proof Barrel
Cost: $709.00
Weight: 4.75lbs
Cost/lb = $149.26

Difference in weight is 0.813lbs

I just don’t see a good return on investment going to carbon. If it’s a hunting rifle that sees like 10 shots a year then it’ll last a life time and you’ll have < lb of savings so maybe that matters if you’re a mountain hunter. But I’d rather chop 4” off the barrel and call it good.

Short, carbon fiber, and 308 are all a little bit of contradictions. Like Husky said the weight difference is minimal on a short barrel. As far as CF goes a 308 seems like a good idea because of the long barrel life. But in my experience CF barrels don't really do that well as "beater" barrels. Like a lot of people use shorty 308's for. They are much better suited for super short round count range sessions like hunting barrels because of the mirage issue with them. Often times when I shoot some of my CF barrels I'm wondering if it's the mirage that's making POI shift or thermal shifting.

My 11” Carbon Bartlein 308w takes a pounding at the range. Lots of long strings. Mirage is apparent much faster than like for like non-CR barrels. Even still, dial back the magnification and it corrects the problem.

My ASR will be getting the Bruce Jenner cut shortly, too. Another shorty 308.

My 11” Carbon Bartlein 308w takes a pounding at the range. Lots of long strings. Mirage is apparent much faster than like for like non-CR barrels. Even still, dial back the magnification and it corrects the problem.

My ASR will be getting the Bruce Jenner cut shortly, too. Another shorty 308.

When that barrel is toast it would be interesting to cut in half. My gut says the inside layers of carbon will be completely delaminated but if it's stacking wtf cares.

Most of the highest temp rated resins I'm aware of start to reach tg around 600 f.

Reactions: SkyScrapin
Assume MSPR & AXMC/AXSR 300NM 26” prefit

Carbon Proof Barrel
Cost: $1,199.00
Weight: 3.937lbs
Cost/lb = $304.55

SS Proof Barrel
Cost: $709.00
Weight: 4.75lbs
Cost/lb = $149.26

Difference in weight is 0.813lbs

I just don’t see a good return on investment going to carbon. If it’s a hunting rifle that sees like 10 shots a year then it’ll last a life time and you’ll have < lb of savings so maybe that matters if you’re a mountain hunter. But I’d rather chop 4” off the barrel and call it good.
I just switched from a steel 20" M40 contour to a 24" CF straight 1.250 contour and saved around 2lbs. To me, there is hardly any weight difference going from a Proof Sendero contour to a straight contour. I'm more inclined to go for more straight contour Proofs as it looks mean as hell on the rifle.

I just switched from a steel 20" M40 contour to a 24" CF straight 1.250 contour and saved around 2lbs. To me, there is hardly any weight difference going from a Proof Sendero contour to a straight contour. I'm more inclined to go for more straight contour Proofs as it looks mean as hell on the rifle.
They do look sexy as fuck. Who did you order the straight contour CF from?

Someone on the Hide was selling one about a year back on the Hide. I really need to go ahead and put in a order for a 30 cal straight contour for a upcoming build.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
Part of the disparity in my comparison is that Proof has a weird contour for their SS AXMC/AXSR Prefits that is pretty light out the gate so it makes it look like the cost & weight saving between the two is almost meaningless.

I was in the carbon kick a few years ago considering I was getting 50% off Proof. Today I careless. Bergara has an interesting carbon/SS concept coming though

I tried running a carbon barrel with PRS style course of fire and it didn’t perform well at all. I don’t readily remember how bad it was but it was enough for me to say never again.

But if it works for other then so be it.

I’m curious how Bartlein carbon barrels are. I believe they make the steel sleeve thicker but I’m not sure.

I have had a few Proof CF barrels. They all have shot great but the one I chambered in 338 LM AI showed severe fire cracking long before my heavy Bartlein. My best guess is due to more barrel whip? I am not a engineer, hopefully someone much smarter can chime in 😂

When that barrel is toast it would be interesting to cut in half. My gut says the inside layers of carbon will be completely delaminated but if it's stacking wtf cares.

Most of the highest temp rated resins I'm aware of start to reach tg around 600 f.

The longest string I have had was 60 rounds in 45 minutes. Maybe 30 minutes. Been a few months. Either way, no idea what temp that is.

Unique to SBRs running suppressors.. the can gets insanely hot without much effort. Not sure it’s avoidable with majority of powders not designed to be burnt in such a short tube. A good can cover does a great job mitigating mirage.

Downside to Carbon.. seems to insulate heat longer than a traditional non-CF barrel.

That's why I really just prefer steel barrels for those types of applications. Especially when it's in an already heavy gun and the barrel is hidden by a handguard anyway.

No doubt. This was a bit of an experiment for me. Idea being it could be yanked out of a chassis an thrown into a hunting stock.

I haven't weighed this system, but it's most definitely not light. I'd say 14-15lbs with S&B, AXSR chassis, Raptar, TBAC and bipod. The carbon barrel probably didn't drop it a half lb, but Frank Green was upfront and entertained my shenanigans anyways.

It's a handy system tho. Repeating my results with the ASR.

Reactions: Huskydriver
Gents
I would like some advice.... New to the AI game - Picked up a AIAX SA / Sage green from the PX

Is there a parts schematic or reference I can find somewhere? Looked but came up empty. Im considering replacing a couple of small items and it would be very handy. Thoughts?

Thank you

Gents
I would like some advice.... New to the AI game - Picked up a AIAX SA / Sage green from the PX

Is there a parts schematic or reference I can find somewhere? Looked but came up empty. Im considering replacing a couple of small items and it would be very handy. Thoughts?

Thank you
Which parts specifically are you looking to replace?

Butt Pad... Need to look to state others
Well…..short of trying to find my old paper manual that came with the rifle I’m not sure if there is one online somewhere. However your two main vendors for AI’s are going to be MileHigh and EuroOptoc. You can search their sites for “accessories” and find a lot of the stuff like but pads, rails, barrels, triggers, and various other small parts.

Gents

Thank you
Your best bet is generally to call Mile High Shooting, or email AINA directly with specific parts requests. They will help you out, get part numbers, etc, but you can only really get replacement parts from Mile High (unless it's a warranty issue direct through AINA).

More pictures.
Mark3 impressed me a lot. The bolt is so slick compared to the AXSR and ATx.

Attachments

• ACD20182-22CE-4235-BFEF-3F164243AE7B.jpeg
    ACD20182-22CE-4235-BFEF-3F164243AE7B.jpeg
    356.6 KB · Views: 206
  • EFDBEF6F-8AC9-4A04-9BC1-FB9B8DD7E303.jpeg
    EFDBEF6F-8AC9-4A04-9BC1-FB9B8DD7E303.jpeg
    413.6 KB · Views: 217
  • 41650002-4446-431C-B05E-C2388C227B59.jpeg
    41650002-4446-431C-B05E-C2388C227B59.jpeg
    518.2 KB · Views: 264
More pictures.
Mark3 impressed me a lot. The bolt is so slick compared to the AXSR and ATx.
Nice! Do you have an AXSR bolt you can put it side by side with? From what I hear the AXSR is slicker/easier to cock than the AXSA/AT...so i'd be interested to see what they changed to improve it again.
Thanks!

Reactions: RS14
Nice! Do you have an AXSR bolt you can put it side by side with? From what I hear the AXSR is slicker/easier to cock than the AXSA/AT...so i'd be interested to see what they changed to improve it again.
Thanks!

That is an axsr......

While it has many similar features , I believe it is a separate model....and he just compared the feel to an axsr....

Reactions: Darkside-Six
Thanks!
Will do. Just sent AXSR to Cerokate… will send you pictures when I get it back.

Here are the pictures for AXSR and AX MK3.

Attachments

• 67E62C1A-523A-4E74-B478-C5A45169FF0A.jpeg
    67E62C1A-523A-4E74-B478-C5A45169FF0A.jpeg
    192.6 KB · Views: 138
  • CF9C42A6-401D-4737-9038-C5683E2FBED5.jpeg
    CF9C42A6-401D-4737-9038-C5683E2FBED5.jpeg
    263 KB · Views: 147
Reactions: BLKWLFK9
From the information that I gathered, mk3 has different bolt than AXSR… they are not interchangeable.

Reactions: Darkside-Six
Dang and it says they improved upon the AXSR bolt for the mk3. Smdh

I wonder what the max barrel weight the AXSR action can handle?

I was thinking about doing a 338LM AI with a 32 or 34” barrel.

I bet you'd be fine...you have lots of tennon length and diameter to work with....

the action seems pretty thin. I have zero idea about what it can structurally support.

Nice. What contour did you use?

Mind sharing the load(s) you’re using?