• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Active Duty TA with SDI Advanced Gunsmithing

Solo72

Private
Minuteman
Aug 12, 2018
Hey guys,

I’m active duty, and am trying to use some of my TA towards a Gunsmithing certificate through Sonoran Desert Institute of Firearms and Technology to build a AR10 that I’ll have as my .308 Gas Gun and have as a fill the gap ability for a job during my eventual transition. I’ve already knocked out all my pre-reqs and have everything started up with SDI. My questions are. Is there anyone on here that has experience with SDI’s online programs? Then are there any guys on here who did it with their TA?

I hate to be the first one to break it to you but all of the online certificates in the world will NOT make you a gunsmith!! Only experience will. Check out this link >>>

I would agree that SDI sounds like an organized scam, BUT advising someone that TA isn't worth messing with while active is about the worst advice I've ever seen someone dish out.

"No, I don't want free money that I get to spend on educational opportunities at my discretion...."

To bad it's not really "free" and you don't get to spend it on educational opportunities at your discretion...

Must have missed the part of experiences may very also. I've already seen a considerable amount of people get burned by their command and have to pay the TA back in the end. I experienced it my self.

GI bill, go for it. Probably one of the smartest decisions I made post EAS and wish I started using it sooner but still not an infallible system as people like to think.

Because it's more of a loan. It's only free if you can complete it and pass the classes. GI bill is no different. Still also doesn't let you have in infinite amount of educational options either.

I've seen people with the false idea (generally given by their command) that they'll have time to complete classes but still be a part of the dog and pony show. I watched one friend be sent to the field nearly every week while he was getting close to the end of his enlistment. I've seen others TAD or TDI for some BS instruction, when they were assured they'd have "sufficient time" to knock out some classes. I've also seen others that can get most of the work done only to have to take a Final elsewhere and not get the leave approved to do so. The worst bunch of them all was Wounded Warrior BN where it was practically forced upon those trying to recover and used for the personal gain of the command and staff and the way they went about it was all wrong. Sure, to an extent it may have been under the guise as looking out for the "best interests" but in my case and a few others I know it was hardly that.

Maybe I could have worded things differently originally and possibly things have changed when people tried or have used TA, but from all those I know that actually had the interest of using TA, and tried to use it, very few were able to successfully complete their program or classes. If the OP and others CAN use it, good on them for pursuing a higher education but I'd encourage them to proceed with caution and do their own research on how they're going to use it, where they're going to use it, and the consequences if they flake or fail.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Lucreau
I actually used my benefits for SDI.
I really can't find fault with what is in the linked article, it really is true.
I did, however, learn stuff.
But then, I also tend to analyze stuff, so when I was given an assignment, I checked other resources. I was also a bit more advanced than the typical student. I also have a friend that is a gunsmith, so I get most of my real info and assistance there.
Would I recommend it as a means to begin a career?
I'm not so sure. As they rightly point out, folks will PAY you to clean their rifles or mount their scope. I've seen it at my friends shop (a local smith). In that case, it always helps to have a piece of paper on the wall.
You can learn more by researching youtube.

Honestly, if there is a community college or technical school in your area, you would be far better off attending basic machining classes, learning how to run a manual mill and lathe and reading blueprints.

Why did I do it? My benefits were getting ready to expire and I have a full time job. I couldn't attend the community college, all the machining classes are held during the day. I didn't want to waste my investment.
For the most part, I enjoyed the course work. I disagreed with some of it, but the instructors were open to debate, as long as you made well thought out arguments.

Reactions: Solo72 and redx
Instead, use the money to take some MANUAL machining classes at a local CC. Add in some metalurgy and welding as well.

If you want to become a gunsmith, this is the most efficient route to take. After you are competent around a Lathe/Mill/Grinder then you can actually start learning about gun smithing. A gunsmith who can't machine is just a troubleshooter.

Reactions: stefan73
Here in California, Lassen community college offers the program for minimal tuition costs compared to the SDI school you mentioned. I have heard that it’s an excellent program.

Yes come to California, where 75% of the shit u need to learn is banned,

Nice diss dude, that is really original. I was just offering a solution to somebody like you did but you must be a lot smarter.

And I did not suggest they take up residence here but take the course from the oldest gunsmith school in the country and earn an Associates degree which is a lot better than a certification. The Lassen area is incredible by the way.

And I did not suggest they take up residence here but take the course from the oldest gunsmith school in the country and earn an Associates degree which is a lot better than a certification. The Lassen area is incredible by the way.

And you would be wrong. The oldest school in the country is Trinidad in CO which is one of two schools in the entire country worth going to. The other is the PA gun smithing school.

If you can't go to either of them, the your best 2 options are becoming an apprentice in a quality shop or starting the machinist path at a school that still does manual.

Instead, use the money to take some MANUAL machining classes at a local CC. Add in some metalurgy and welding as well.

If you want to become a gunsmith, this is the most efficient route to take. After you are competent around a Lathe/Mill/Grinder then you can actually start learning about gun smithing. A gunsmith who can't machine is just a troubleshooter.
+1

Gusmithing should be learned, like most trades, through academic education on the fundamental theory, hands on skills training, then followed by apprenticeships.

Come to think of it, that's how engineering should be taught as well.

ETA: here's another reason to follow Primus advice. If you can't find work as a gunsmith, move to the industrial midwest and look for work as a machinist, welder, maintenance tech, or even toolmaker apprentice. Contrary to what the stupid fucks from the business media and Harvard Business School would have you believe, manufacturing is not dead in this country. It is, however, STARVING for skilled tradesmen.

OBTW, learn ladder logic/PLC programming while you're at it.

Reactions: jMarine
In the PNW, there are way more jobs than people to fill them. They will pay for your machining school as well as pay you $16+ starting out to run machines.

I have a MBA and BS, and make great money. The electricians and lineman that I hire make about twice what I do with OT and per diem. They are in the $180-200K per year ballpark. The trades is where the money is and where it will be for a while as long as the gov keeps giving free money to morons who after 4-8 years of school, will be lucky to be qualified as a barista.

I have a MBA and BS, and make great money. The electricians and lineman that I hire make about twice what I do with OT and per diem. They are in the $180-200K per year ballpark. The trades is where the money is and where it will be for a while as long as the gov keeps giving free money to morons who after 4-8 years of school, will be lucky to be qualified as a barista.
I'm in the same boat as you.

I've even been thinking about taking some formal CNC training at the local votech to make some side money when I retire.

I definitely agree with what you are saying about college graduates entering the work force expecting to make good money with absolutely no experience or skill. Probably most of what these kids did in college was work as a barista or server and expect to be competitive in job market against people with years of experience in the field. Also a lot of these kids are so far in debt and rely on their parents so much all they do is move home and hope mommy and daddy can get them a job.

I'm in the same boat as you.

I've even been thinking about taking some formal CNC training at the local votech to make some side money when I retire.

I have been taking machining classes at the local CC to learn to use a Lathe/Mill/Grinder/ect. I highly recommend it.

I actually used my benefits for SDI.
I really can't find fault with what is in the linked article, it really is true.
I did, however, learn stuff.
But then, I also tend to analyze stuff, so when I was given an assignment, I checked other resources. I was also a bit more advanced than the typical student. I also have a friend that is a gunsmith, so I get most of my real info and assistance there.
Would I recommend it as a means to begin a career?
I'm not so sure. As they rightly point out, folks will PAY you to clean their rifles or mount their scope. I've seen it at my friends shop (a local smith). In that case, it always helps to have a piece of paper on the wall.
You can learn more by researching youtube.

Honestly, if there is a community college or technical school in your area, you would be far better off attending basic machining classes, learning how to run a manual mill and lathe and reading blueprints.

Why did I do it? My benefits were getting ready to expire and I have a full time job. I couldn't attend the community college, all the machining classes are held during the day. I didn't want to waste my investment.
For the most part, I enjoyed the course work. I disagreed with some of it, but the instructors were open to debate, as long as you made well thought out arguments.
I am in the same boat with my GI Bill and because of my schedule (LEO), in person weekly classes just isnt a possibility. I am assuming the VA paid the online only amount for BAH?
I have no notion that this course will make you a world class gunsmith but it seems like a fun-ish way to use the remainder of GI Bill benefits for someone who hates school.

Reactions: Solo72
My local community college offers a Manufacturing Technology certificate for three classes:

Basic Machine Shop (mill, lathe, etc.);
CNC Machine Operations
CAD-CAM Design.

Add to those gunsmith-specific classes (actions -- bolts, autos, revolvers, levers, and pumps; barreling and chambering; materials; bedding; finishing, etc.) and you are ready to apprentice.

Last edited:
I completed the associated program at SDI about 2 years ago. So speaking from experience, if you are looking at this program as a means of going big in the gunsmithing world, you are sadly misinformed. The article posted above says it all!!! You will not come out the other end of that degree with very much knowledge in actual gunsmithing. I have a great full time career and have zero desire to enter a new work field but my benefits were getting close to expiring so I thought “why the hell not.” And there’s the added benefit of getting an extra 800 something bucks a month for BAH that I could blow on gun shit and reloading supplies.

Long story short, if you’re interested in actually learning effective gunsmithing skills… find a local shop and offer your time as an apprentice or spend your money as others have suggested taking machining classes at a local tech school.

I completed the associated program at SDI about 2 years ago. So speaking from experience, if you are looking at this program as a means of going big in the gunsmithing world, you are sadly misinformed. The article posted above says it all!!! You will not come out the other end of that degree with very much knowledge in actual gunsmithing. I have a great full time career and have zero desire to enter a new work field but my benefits were getting close to expiring so I thought “why the hell not.” And there’s the added benefit of getting an extra 800 something bucks a month for BAH that I could blow on gun shit and reloading supplies.

Long story short, if you’re interested in actually learning effective gunsmithing skills… find a local shop and offer your time as an apprentice or spend your money as others have suggested taking machining classes at a local tech school.
My thoughts exactly, free money that I am throwing away if I dont use it. This seems a solid way to do it without too much of an ill effect on my home or work life. I appreciate the response Marine.

Onward to my shitty associates program and $917 a month added to the ammo budget.

• Haha
Reactions: jMarine
Ensure that the program is accredited and approved or else you will get hosed! You incur an ADSO Additional Service Obligation for TA last time I looked. I can't remember what the ratio (1 to 1 or 1 to 2) is but I used TA for my masters and incurred an additional service obligation which was no big deal for me since I planned to stay in but that was in 2010-2011 so things probably changed.

I would suggest you strongly look through what was posted. From conversations I have had with smiths it sounds like getting the machining skills is a huge plus. I would suggest working on that and then focusing in on firearms.

Just my two cents.

I left active duty a decade ago, theyre not getting anymore out of me lol. I agree 100%, but as LE I work a rotating 12 hour schedule, any traditional schooling/tech programs are not an option. I am not looking to work as a gunsmith, I am trying to use the remainder of my GI Bill before Uncle Sam decides they want the rest of it back.

Reactions: stefan73 and redx
GI Bill should cover vocational re-training to qual you as a chopper pilot, then. Ask your VA Counselor -- the vocational re-hab quals you for a job, not just a degree.

Sign out of the PD on extended leave of absence, get your FAA ticket, then go back on-the-job. You'll have both your pilot rating AND your POST cert.

I left active duty a decade ago, theyre not getting anymore out of me lol. I agree 100%, but as LE I work a rotating 12 hour schedule, any traditional schooling/tech programs are not an option. I am not looking to work as a gunsmith, I am trying to use the remainder of my GI Bill before Uncle Sam decides they want the rest of it back.
Makes perfect sense.

I appreciate the suggestion, but it only takes watching one helicopter fall out of the sky to tell me I'd rather get shot at than put myself in more helicopters than I need to. Extremely well designed death traps.

They made some changes recently where your benefits never go away. Make sure you look into it before blowing it on something you dont want.
That's good, used to be 10 years if I remember correctly. I used all mine up to get a degree and commission.

I am trying to use the remainder of my GI Bill before Uncle Sam decides they want the rest of it back.
I hear ya. I used some of my GI Bill to finish my BA, and there's no benefit in doing any grad work in my field. I started looking at welding, woodworking and bladesmithing schools in my area. Turns out there's some great ones! I plan on doing a lot of "heat, bang, repeat" next fall/winter.

Go get it man, use that hard earned money to do something fun. We could all die in a fiery blaze tomorrow and a Masters degree wouldnt save a single one of us.

I hear ya. I used some of my GI Bill to finish my BA, and there's no benefit in doing any grad work in my field. I started looking at welding, woodworking and bladesmithing schools in my area. Turns out there's some great ones! I plan on doing a lot of "heat, bang, repeat" next fall/winter.
Where are you at? I know Andrew Takach up in PA does classes as do others.

Where are you at? I know Andrew Takach up in PA does classes as do others.
Maine/New Hampshire. I drive by the New England School of Metalwork on my way to/from my work's remote training facility.

Another great program for those exiting active duty is DoD SkillBridge. It is up to 180 days of permissive TAD from your command for school, apprentice or internship. I have had guys at my command get taxidermy training, registered guide, and other non-traditional lernin' and such. It has been a great program for our 0311 and other trigger-pullers that don't have a lot of skills that translate to .civ.

Reactions: ECHO-5-PAPA
Hey guys,

I’m active duty, and am trying to use some of my TA towards a Gunsmithing certificate through Sonoran Desert Institute of Firearms and Technology to build a AR10 that I’ll have as my .308 Gas Gun and have as a fill the gap ability for a job during my eventual transition. I’ve already knocked out all my pre-reqs and have everything started up with SDI. My questions are. Is there anyone on here that has experience with SDI’s online programs? Then are there any guys on here who did it with their TA?

Do you want a job in this stuff? Do the following

• Show up and be well-spoken during the interview
  • Show up on time with a notebook and pencil
  • Do as asked and behave with some initiative
  • Have a student mind
  • Don't be a dipshit who wanders around distracting other staff members because you want to chat about guns

Do all of these things and any employer with any sense will take good care of you.

PS: I'm hiring and I could give two ferks about "skewel certificates" because they don't teach the right shit anyway. This is 2024, not 1960. You want to accel in this trade today you better have the ability to scale your business. The operational tempo of LRI exceeds most in this industry. I also have a state-of-the-art shop. Probably THE most state of the art.

An eBay-bought gap bed lathe and a Bridgeport knee mill aren't how you do it in today's world and that is what the schools teach. It's absurd.

Do you want a job in this stuff? Do the following

• Show up and be well-spoken during the interview
  • Show up on time with a notebook and pencil
  • Do as asked and behave with some initiative
  • Have a student mind
  • Don't be a dipshit who wanders around distracting other staff members because you want to chat about guns

Do all of these things and any employer with any sense will take good care of you.

PS: I'm hiring and I could give two ferks about "skewel certificates" because they don't teach the right shit anyway. This is 2024, not 1960. You want to accel in this trade today you better have the ability to scale your business. The operational tempo of LRI exceeds most in this industry. I also have a state-of-the-art shop. Probably THE most state of the art.

An eBay-bought gap bed lathe and a Bridgeport knee mill aren't how you do it in today's world and that is what the schools teach. It's absurd.
If only I was closer to you. I myself would change careers and give it a try. Actually went to school for machining cad/cam. Spent a lot of time with mastercam/solidworks/autocad drawing and such. Learned G&M code by hand and also how to post from cam.

Bump,

Keep the feedback coming! Just reawakened my account. Didnt go with SDI, instead I buckled down on using TA for a Bachelors in IR. I'm just two classes away from having my degree. Our armorers both went after the Associates that SDI has to offer and said it was pretty fun and that TA had no issues covering it. Then Ive also heard from our more popular gun shop that SDI isnt worth a crap.

At this point I feel like its worth doing since I've already pretty much knocked out a degree. Only delay is waiting to get back from this next deployment.

Reactions: ECHO-5-PAPA
I didn't notice the date on tour first post when I read it tonight. SDI wasn't great but it wasn't terrible either. Used my GI Bill for it and wanted to do some local community college machine shop classes but COVID shut down the in person classes so I left some GI Bill on the plate for someone else to use. It was a way to add to my hobby. I learned a little and found out distance learning hasn't changed much since the internet except you don't mail quizzes back and you watch a lot of YouTube. In the early 90's I did the Modern Gun School distance course on TA. I still use some of those tools also.

Lot of complaints about cheap tools that work well enough for class. I see a lot of former students get FFLs and open shops after graduation. Some do great work, others don't do anything but Glock is great and the AR is the best rifle in the world. I don't know how many fold in a couple years bit that is a hazard for any business.

I was going to recommend the degree over the certificate but I had the non gun electives covered already. I never finished my Electronics Technology Degree before I retired.

If I had the time to do an in school course, I'd go here. https://trinidadstate.edu/gunsmithing/

GI Bill should cover vocational re-training to qual you as a chopper pilot, then. Ask your VA Counselor -- the vocational re-hab quals you for a job, not just a degree.

Sign out of the PD on extended leave of absence, get your FAA ticket, then go back on-the-job. You'll have both your pilot rating AND your POST cert.
Wait a SEC! are you saying I can become a chopper pilot !!! I need more info

If your goal is to become a working gunsmith then I agree with you. For me, the monthly BAH along with the free AR-10 (they stopped doing 80% lowers so now its a factory built gun) aint too shabby.
Yeah in all honestly this is to build hobbyist skills. Ive already got my actual career/post-career and degree lined up. I'm just a big fan of guns.....especially through Tuitions Assistance haha

UPDATE: MAY 2024 I'm doing it TA now covers all but the education resource fee. I'm not learning a whole lot so far but I got a free cleaning kit and will be getting some tools.