• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advice on 1st time equipment

lordt313

Private
Minuteman
May 27, 2007
Louisville. KY
I am getting ready to purchase reloading equipment because I can no longer aford factory ammo, I will be reloading one rifle in .308 and eventually want to make precision loads. i am just looking for some suggestions as far as a press, dies etc..

Thanks
Taylor

Re: Advice on 1st time equipment

A skilled reloader can use practically any press, any set of dies, (etc) and construct excellent ammo.

I happen to have, enjoy and use my Redding equiptment, expecially the competition dies.

For making the highest quality ammo, one does not need the competition dies, its just that the competition dies make finding the ONE best load significantly esier. Once you have found that ONE load, the difference between the std dies, the mid-range dies, and the competition dies is not so great--until you are searching for that ONE load using different components (again).

Case preperation, choosing excellent components, and especially meticulous assembly has more to do with the final 'print' of the load on the target than which press, or which dies do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MitchAlsup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A skilled reloader can use practically any press, any set of dies, (etc) and construct excellent ammo.

I happen to have, enjoy and use my Redding equiptment, expecially the competition dies.

For making the highest quality ammo, one does not need the competition dies, its just that the competition dies make finding the ONE best load significantly esier. Once you have found that ONE load, the difference between the std dies, the mid-range dies, and the competition dies is not so great--until you are searching for that ONE load using different components (again).

Case preperation, choosing excellent components, and especially meticulous assembly has more to do with the final 'print' of the load on the target than which press, or which dies do. </div></div>

THAT, is the BEST answer I've ever read!! and I agree with it wholeheartedly 100%......I use a Lee, standard, single stage press with a handheld primer tool and a digital scale....the scale cost more than ANY other part of my regime......I also use a hand controlled case trimmer instead of the motorized kind......it all comes down to what your budget is and how much care goes into making your rounds......even the MOST expensive of equipment can be messed up if you get into too much of a hurry.

Forster Co-Ax press, get extra die rings
Redding Type S FL die, don't forget the bushings
Redding Comp seating die
Imperial sizing wax, this may last the rest of your life
Wilson Trimmer with fired case holder
Lyman VLD inside tool
RCBS rocketship for the outside
Lyman flash hole deburr tool
RCBS primer pocket uniformer
Lyman powder drop
505 scale
Check wieghts
funnel
four O steelwool
loading tray

DAMN, Cobra! How un-philosophic!
grin.gif
You take all of the mystery out of buying equipment. No fun at all. BTW, didn't see a priming tool in the list. Do you prime on your Co-Ax?

Do you have a micrometer adjustment for your Lyman powder measure?

I've had many years of good reliable reloading out of my RCBS and really enjoy the speed and accuracy of my Lyman DPS powder dispenser. Makes for dropping those 100+ grain charges smooth and quick.

You can prime with a Co-Ax, I don't, no micrometer on the Lyman, and I forgot a trickler

"A skilled reloader can use practically any press, any set of dies, (etc) and construct excellent ammo."

Well said. All the blarney posted about the "BEST" brand of reloading tools give me gas. It suggests if you just use the right dies and right color preess you will be an expert! Nothing could be further from the truth.

What I use is largely irrelivant. I can make good ammo on just about any dies, press, scale, etc. on the market IF the tools are indeed good. I mean, they ALL make some less than ideal tools that get out the door but it's rare and they will replace any defective items if we are wise enough to recongnise it and send it back. On average, I have found that any brand has as much variation between their own items as there is between brands.

Some tool designs - dies, press, scales, etc - are indeed easier to work with but that sure doesn't mean the others are not equally effective in making good ammo!

Now, to offer an alternative to Cobra's list of goodies:

A Loading Manual - Lyman's for the first, others later.

Lee's Classic Cast Press - Very strong, all steel (not iron) and made on modern CNC machines. It handles spent primers well.

Hand Priming tool - Lee's Auto-Prime tool is as good as any. Get the complete shell holer kit too if you will ever want to do load for more than just one cartridge.

Rifle dies - Forster - Their seater is so good it was copied by Redding. The FL dies have a unique and excellant raised expander button that works well to help keep necks straight.

Neck Size dies - Lee's Collet neck sizers are great

Pistol dies - Lyman or Redding's copies of Lyman's

Case Lube - Imperial sizing wax or Hornady Unique, about the same (GOOD!), easy to apply with finger tips as you pick cases up to size, no messy lube pad to contend with.

Stuck Case remover - RCBS/Redding. You WILL stick a case!

Bullet puller - RCBS Impact type. You may want a press mounted collet type later but probably not.

Case TRimmer - Lyman Universal - works good, easy to use, needs no case holders (and Lyman includes several handy items; case pilots, pocket cleaners, plus a de-burr/champher tool.)

VLD tool - Lyman - IF if you are using those bullets

Flash Hole Debur Tool - RCBS and the caliber specific guides.

Primer Pocket Uniformer - RCBS/Lyman/Sinclair, all good

Powder Measure - Redding 3BR, AND stand (AND a Redding trickler)

Tumbler - any vibratory type - Lyman 1200 and Midway's 1240 are perhaps less expensive than others.

Tumbler Media/Polish - Cob or nut makes no difference, and use any cheap auto polish (NuFinish is good) instead of the more expensive reloader branded stuff - polish is polish!

Scale - RCBS 505 or 1010 scale (NOT a digital scale!)

Powder funnel - any brand is fine

Loading tray - any brand, two for each caliber

Stainless Steel Dial Caliper, 6", reading in thousanths - Any of the Chinese made tools are fine for reloaders; MidwayUSA, Lyman, RCBS and Harbor Freight Tools. All are identical. HF sells them for as little as $14 on sale, which they frequently are.

Headspace Gage - Hornady LnL (use it with your dial caliper) OR the RCBS Precision Case Mic - either is nice to have, you can measure exactly how much you're sizing cases at the shoulder.

Bullet "Comparitor" - Hornady's LNL or Sinclair's "nut" OR it's part of the cartrige spectific RCBS Precision Mic.

Concentricity Gage - Sinclair - IF you really want to make the very best ammo you can, a concentricty gage will tell you if it's straight or help you find where it's going wrong if not.

Neck Turning Tool/Pilots - For REALLY good neck turners, the Pumpkin or Hart gits the nod. BUT, for a much more rational price, and just as good for us non-BR types, IMHO, the Forster Hand Held Turner (HOT-100) is the best choice. It has a micrometer adjustable carbide cutter. From MidwayUSA, etc.

Bench - Perhaps the single best reloading "tool" you can have is a good, large, sturdy, convienent loading bench with lots of light over it. And a shelf at nose level for setting your scale on so it's easy to see. And lots more shelves for lots of tools, components and "stuff." You can't buy those, it's up to you.

If your carpenter skills and/or tools are lacking, any Lowe's/HomeDepot will have hardware kits that can greatly simplify building a sturdy work bench with just a tape, square, saw and drill.

You have some excellent advice here and I will add (or more precisely, emphasize) that the quality of your reloads will depend largely on your choice of components (Brass, Projectiles, powder), and the time you invest to measure, measure, prep, and measure.

I have been using my RCBS Rock Chucker since the Clinton years to churn out .308s that shoot sub MOA. I use Sierra Matchking 168 grain BTHP. Adam at Bauer Arms (he's on the hide) is a favorite and reliable supplier.

hey general, any load data you would like to share (powder, brass etc.) you use?

Thanks
Taylor

also Fuzzball, thanks for the time and info you gave me too; thats really what I was looking for

-Taylor