• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Advice on my final scope picks....

MichaelR1213

Private
Minuteman
Apr 13, 2020
Good evening,
New member on snipers hide and like most who join I was a long time lurker. I appreciate the vast knowledge this site provides and finally decided it was time to join. Again, like many on here, I have been bitten by the urge to compete in PRS. Here is a little bit about my and goals..
-The Platform will be a Tikka T3x CTR in an MDT Chassis
-Chambered in 6.5 Creedmoore
-Intended use is PRS
-Typically shoot in daylight
-Shooting at 500yds (range limited currently) but would like to stretch it out to remain competitive
-would prefer FFP since I have been shooting with an FFP scope and have come to like it
-budget is 1000-1400

These are the scopes I have researched and narrowed down too
-Vortex Viper PST gen II 5-25X50 FFP EBR-7C mil $775.00
-US Optics TS-20x $822.00
-Nightforce SHV 4-14X50 F1 $900
-Nightforce NX8 2.5-20X50 F1 $1225
-Viper Razor HD gen II 3-18X50 EBR-7C
This is by no means an end all be all, just what i have put together with research and inputs from friends. Regardless any of these will be a welcome upgrade from my current glass which I am steadily outgrowing. Obviously, price is important and could sway some suggestions, which is why I included the prices which I would pay for each respective scope. Open to any and all feedback Thanks!

The list is more or less the scopes that I (in my limited knowledge) have put together, more than welcome to your
suggestions in adding to the list...
As some have stated you are close to a used razor. I personally am not a huge fan of that scope, but they are a very good option and cont be best for the money on the used market. I personally suggest saving another ~$600 and springing for a used kahles 624i. I suggest trying to get behind a few of these scopes and deciding for yourself.

Reactions: Painjob38
Seems to be a reoccurring theme so far... do you believe there is enough value in the extra mag? While not new to shooting, I would be a novice in PRS and am curious if I would benefit more from a scope with lesser mag... Then again it is nice to have something to grow into...

As some have stated you are close to a used razor. I personally am not a huge fan of that scope, but they are a very good option and cont be best for the money on the used market. I personally suggest saving another ~$600 and springing for a used kahles 624i. I suggest trying to get behind a few of these scopes and deciding for yourself.
Good call, sadly this is the third time that I have extended my budget lol, not sure if the CFO (wife ) would approve another increase... but I am definitely leaning toward the "buy once, cry once" mantra... just not sure i wanna cry that hard...

Seems to be a reoccurring theme so far... do you believe there is enough value in the extra mag? While not new to shooting, I would be a novice in PRS and am curious if I would benefit more from a scope with lesser mag... Then again it is nice to have something to grow into...
In prs type shooting I can count on one hand where I have used over 20 power. Mag is vastly overrated and people should just stop this silly trend toward high mag scopes for prs. Just one guys opinion though.

Reactions: racer95

You can leave a 4.5-27 at or around 18x. You can’t turn a 3-18 up to 27x. It’s a have an not need situation.

You’ll develop a personal shooting style that may or may not use the high end of the magnification. But having it as an option is usually better than not.

In prs type shooting I can count on one hand where I have used over 20 power. Mag is vastly overrated and people should just stop this silly trend toward high mag scopes for prs. Just one guys opinion though.

Yet there are just as many people who shoot at almost the max magnification. I know several national level shooters that run pretty high mag (25+) on most every shot unless mirage is bad.

You can leave a 4.5-27 at or around 18x. You can’t turn a 3-18 up to 27x. It’s a have an not need situation.

You’ll develop a personal shooting style that may or may not use the high end of the magnification. But having it as an option is usually better than not.
This is the main reason I started adding some higher mag scopes to the list...

All seem like decent scopes. If you can't try any of them out, at least get the one in the mag range that make sense to you and shoot. You're going to replace it anyway. Guaranteed...

Reactions: NorthWesterner
In that price range and shooting mostly at day time I would consider the Burris XTR III 3-18x50 or 5-30. I have compared it side by side to the NF NX8 2.5-20x50 and it’s much easier to get behind and eye box is more forgiving. I’d second the Vortex Razor 4.5-27, 3-18 or a Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29 if you insist on illumination. I think any of those would be better choices for your application and given budget. JMHO

same a little more money for the gen 2 razor they are awesome as long as you don't mind the color.

Reactions: tob5
Right now i can get a new razor hd 3-18 for 1399, I thought it seemed like a pretty great deal....but now i am slowly rethinking my budget...lol knew this would happen

Reactions: NorthWesterner
In that price range and shooting mostly at day time I would consider the Burris XTR III 3-18x50 or 5-30. I have compared it side by side to the NF NX8 2.5-20x50 and it’s much easier to get behind and eye box is more forgiving. I’d second the Vortex Razor 4.5-27, 3-18 or a Athlon Cronus BTR 4.5-29 if you insist on illumination. I think any of those would be better choices for your application and given budget. JMHO
how would you say the gen II fairs against the gen III, I can get the Gen II 5-25X50 for 899 right now...

The clarity, glass and field of view are much better in the Gen III. There is a long review in the scope forum on the XTR Gen III. I think for around $300 more you are getting a better optic and also can get the SCR2 reticle which should help you in matches over the SCR. I believe Tyler Kemp with MK Machining was selling new ones at a very nice discounted price. There also have been some in the PX selling less then new prices.

Thanks for that, I have been keeping an eye out in the PX as the XTR III seems like a great scope for a great price....

Well I think I have narrowed it down to the XTR III, I think that is alot of scope for the money.... now the decision is, stick with 3-18 or go 5-30....scope shopping is rough....

Good evening,
New member on snipers hide and like most who join I was a long time lurker. I appreciate the vast knowledge this site provides and finally decided it was time to join. Again, like many on here, I have been bitten by the urge to compete in PRS. Here is a little bit about my and goals..
-The Platform will be a Tikka T3x CTR in an MDT Chassis
-Chambered in 6.5 Creedmoore
-Intended use is PRS
-Typically shoot in daylight
-Shooting at 500yds (range limited currently) but would like to stretch it out to remain competitive
-would prefer FFP since I have been shooting with an FFP scope and have come to like it
-budget is 1000-1400

These are the scopes I have researched and narrowed down too
-Vortex Viper PST gen II 5-25X50 FFP EBR-7C mil $775.00
-US Optics TS-20x $822.00
-Nightforce SHV 4-14X50 F1 $900
-Nightforce NX8 2.5-20X50 F1 $1225
-Viper Razor HD gen II 3-18X50 EBR-7C
This is by no means an end all be all, just what i have put together with research and inputs from friends. Regardless any of these will be a welcome upgrade from my current glass which I am steadily outgrowing. Obviously, price is important and could sway some suggestions, which is why I included the prices which I would pay for each respective scope. Open to any and all feedback Thanks!

Where did you find a nx8 for 1225?

I just wanted to give a quick shout out to Tyler over at MK Machining for hooking me up with an XTR III 3.3-18X50! Not only did he give me a great deal on the scope but still included his throw lever and level. Oh and hooked it up on the unimount I purchased! Great experience and service! Thanks Tyler....

Reactions: Jsmith2631
I just wanted to give a quick shout out to Tyler over at MK Machining for hooking me up with an XTR III 3.3-18X50! Not only did he give me a great deal on the scope but still included his throw lever and level. Oh and hooked it up on the unimount I purchased! Great experience and service! Thanks Tyler....

Good choice... woulda went that or the NX8 for sure at that price.

POST PICS!! I was shooting mine this morning. Love the FOV...

Regards
DT

Ya the FOV is what one of the things that sold me... I will get some pics up as soon as it comes in...now comes the hard part...Waiting

I will 2nd a shout out to MK Machining. Just received a new Vortex Razor LHT yesterday from them. They had promo for a free scope level, throw lever, and rings at 99% off. I emailed them about upgrading to a 1 piece seekins cantilevered mount for additional cost. They sent it anyways. Good guys.

At the current exchange rate, US$1400 is CAD$1900.

I guess Canadian vendors add a $500 surcharge on the retail price, while making the usual excuses of “cross border shipping” and “import costs” on their dealer pricing ?

Lucky you guys. Those are 2400 up here in Canada.