• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Air Travel w/ Rifle and Gear

chzhd

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
  • Oct 29, 2018
    Mo
    I have the Pelican Air 1615TRVL w/ TrekPak dividers setup like @lowlight has in the thread linked below. My problem is my AI, 2 barrels, TBAC Ultra 7, and RRS TFCT-34L w/ Anvil 30 puts the case at the 50lb weight limit. I am curious how you pack the rest of your equipment to travel by air? I have been looking at various Loadout duffle bags but wanted to get some more ideas from the community.

T

It’s not just the weight that is the issue. It’s also the volume. I keep almost all of my equipment in my MR 3-Day Assault backpack which will not fit in the case. Also, the CrossTac Recon shooting mat and Yeti 1gal Jug won’t fit in the case either.

I always get 2 free checked bags so I don’t mind checking another bag.

T

This highlights one issue I've always had with pelican cases - they're at times heavy and hard to keep under airline size/weight limits.

For me, anything airline regulated goes in the rifle case- rifle, barrel, bolt, ammo. Some airlines take issue with ammo being in the same case as the firearm. Check and print their rules before you get to the counter.

Anything that's not 'gun stuff' (tripods, booshie water bottles, etc) goes in my normal checked bag with clothes and stuff. I can usually get away with two checked bags and a carry on backpack. Beyond that, I've run out of hands anyways.

If I recall from prior experiences, (fool me once) you want to pay the extra bag fee, and NOT the overweight fee.

They make hard sided golf bag containers. I used one awhile back when traveling with rifles and gear and no one said a word.

And doesn’t look like a rifle case.

Here's an option... If it's within the continental US, and where you're going has a physical address that is capable of receiving packages and mail, you could ask them if you can mail them a package with some of your stuff in it, and then mail some of the non-fragile, bulky, heavy, and non-sensitive items in a big box to the same location you're going prior to your trip, that way you know it's arrived safely before you leave. Then you have less shit to carry with you on the flight.

People that think they need to carry around a gallon of water on them at all times are fragile

I used to think that - before landing in the ER with a diagnosis of acute kidney failure caused by dehydration, and then finding out that I was in Stage 2 of chronic kidney failure before that event based upon some previous bloodwork. Now I'm better about drinking water.

I carried on my MR beartooth last year going deer hunting. Put my tripod and shooting bag inside of it. It fit in Delta overhead compartments on the big plane. Regional plane I just gate checked it for free. You could take your scope off your rifle and put it in your pack. I had my rifle in my pelican double vault, which is oversized, but they let on under sporting equipment exemption

It’s not just the weight that is the issue. It’s also the volume. I keep almost all of my equipment in my MR 3-Day Assault backpack which will not fit in the case. Also, the CrossTac Recon shooting mat and Yeti 1gal Jug won’t fit in the case either.

I always get 2 free checked bags so I don’t mind checking another bag.

T

You're carrying too much shit then.

Go over every single item and ask yourself "when was the last time I needed or used this?". If the answer is never, I can't remember, or a year ago, leave it behind.

Yeah, there’s a big difference between “I’m carrying water because my exertion level requires it and there may not be any where I’m going“ and “I’m carrying water because some DB on tic toc said I should...”

Where are you going, and what are you doing? I cannot imagine needing 2 barrels for a hunt, or a comp. I can’t imagine wanting a yeti bottle for a hunt, and comps generally have water at various stages. If this is some sort of carry-all-your-shit event, a yeti is a terrible idea, and so is anything that adds weight to your pack.

If you really need water on your person, get a couple of the platypus water bottles. They weigh nothing and take up even less space when empty. Hell, buy a bottle of water at a 7-11 when you get there. Consider taking an empty support bag and filling it when you get there. Sand is ubiquitous.

2 barrels? For a “destination event?” Really? Gtfo with that.

You are traveling on the closest thing that humanity has to a recurring miracle. Don’t confuse want with need.

Beyond asking yourself “when was the last time I used this?,“ you need to ask “do I really need this.” A shooting mat? A heavy-assed yeti water bottle? More than “have I used this,” ask lcan I still be effective without it?”

Assaulter canteens = tape 30" of 550 cord like a sling on a bottle of water. Sling a couple of them and as you finish one just throw it into the desert. They are self-disposing and weigh nothing
    Or, just dump it in the trash can next to the stage...