• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AK-74 vs. Brown Bear outside of Anchorage

WGOS/WDOS BASES | Brownells

^^^ Here are the sights. Pick your fav.

I miss my days Canada goose hunting. Used to go almost every morning. Would get up at 4, hunt, get into the office at 08:30... still in camo with a truck full of dead geese... love sautéed goose breast. Ok, enough thread hijacking for now. Glad to talk custom cheap rifles... but let's move to vintage area! I don't want to hijack Bergmann's thread totally!

Cheers,

Sirhr

lol yeah, thanks for the link. got a good sized Goose this afternoon, and am apparently the talk of my parent's neighborhood. Guess they've never seen a guy pluck and clean a dead goose before.

Glad the hiker survived the dangerous encounter.
But I think the below pictures of the great bear with the puzzy Russian round on top of his skinned skull symbolizing I don't know exactly what, are totally unnecessary.

It beats the hell out of a picture of a pile of bear scat and a second place ribbon.

It beats the hell out of a picture of a pile of bear scat and a second place ribbon.

Don't get me wrong. Everyone is glad this person was able to defend the attack with the limitations at hand.
I think is ok to have pictures of the sights and the fallen attacker in a dignifying way. But why a picture of the bloody skinned bear's head with a puzzy AK round on top? What is the symbol of that?
I mean what is the point of putting that up online for everyone in the world to see? I don't think this was done in bad faith but we have to think about our attitude as responsible firearm owners
and many here probably hunters and conservationists. To me that is not bringing up any positive karma about the the animal and mother nature.
Keep in mind the great bear is a sacred animal for many people.

Keep in mind the great bear is a sacred animal for many people.

So are our fellow human beings.

Two great creatures met in the woods. One wanted to make the other dinner, while the other just wanted to enjoy some great scenery. Not faulting the bear for doing what comes natural but unfortunately for him he screwed with the wrong hiker.

Had not the OP taken this bear out and had the hiker become a pile of dung whats the Alaska game warden response to something like that in a populated area? I imagine more than one bear would have met a similar fate to find out which one perhaps had some human DNA in the small intestine and had perhaps developed a taste for long pig.

When the dances with bears guy and his girlfriend were killed I think more than one bear was put down to prevent further attacks on humans.

If you care about bears you may want to consider thanking the OP.

Edit - Regards the picture, after surviving something like that I can only imagine the adrenaline dump and the feeling of thank the supreme being for still being alive, I might have skull fucked that wonderful animal and taken a picture.

edit - Took another look at the picture come to think of it it is kind of grizzly.

Last edited:
So are our fellow human beings.

Two great creatures met in the woods. One wanted to make the other dinner, while the other just wanted to enjoy some great scenery. Not faulting the bear for doing what comes natural but unfortunately for him he screwed with the wrong hiker.

Had not the OP taken this bear out and had the hiker become a pile of dung whats the Alaska game warden response to something like that in a populated area? I imagine more than one bear would have met a similar fate to find out which one perhaps had some human DNA in the small intestine and had perhaps developed a taste for long pig.

When the dances with bears guy and his girlfriend were killed I think more than one bear was put down to prevent further attacks on humans.

If you care about bears you may want to consider thanking the OP.

Edit - Regards the picture, after surviving something like that I can only imagine the adrenaline dump and the feeling of thank the supreme being for still being alive, I might have skull fucked that wonderful animal and taken a picture.

edit - Took another look at the picture come to think of it it is kind of grizzly.

No doubt the person had to do anything possible to survive. That is not my point. The other of the fallen bear I am ok.
But It is the other picture I don't understand. I don't want to see any naked skulls no matter who won. It is not just the gruesomeness or anything unfortunately we have plenty of that
everywhere but what is the message we are giving as firearm owners. Again keep in mind we have hunters, protectionist, native Americans, people who are not antigun or PETA nuts but also they
are not pro-gun neither just neutral so how are we going to show we are respectful of each other and mother nature. As firearm owners we need to keep this in mind at all times.
This pics hit the search engines and then what message they send? What is the fun unless it was a forensic science study of some sort I guess?
Anyway. It is a long battle in youtube and forums and what not. Some folks get it and some don't. The future will be what WE make of it. Murrow's words.

No doubt the person had to do anything possible to survive. That is not my point. The other of the fallen bear I am ok.
But It is the other picture I don't understand. I don't want to see any naked skulls no matter who won. It is not just the gruesomeness or anything unfortunately we have plenty of that
everywhere but what is the message we are giving as firearm owners. Again keep in mind we have hunters, protectionist, native Americans, people who are not antigun or PETA nuts but also they
are not pro-gun neither just neutral so how are we going to show we are respectful of each other and mother nature. As firearm owners we need to keep this in mind at all times.
This pics hit the search engines and then what message they send? What is the fun unless it was a forensic science study of some sort I guess?
Anyway. It is a long battle in youtube and forums and what not. Some folks get it and some don't. The future will be what WE make of it. Murrow's words.

If you thought the picture was in poor taste why did you repost it?
For what it was worth it was just a wild animal looking for dinner Not like he was looking for a date or any other emotional attachment.

Agreed, out of context I can see how this could be offensive. In this thread with the information as presented here. I think I understand what the photographer wanted to express by the photo.

I don't want to live in a world where I have to couch my language because someone somewhere may be offended. If that were the case no message of any kind could ever be conveyed. Take any picture you want, a mother holding a baby, and someone will find offense.

Those pictures go to the search engines so people can see full blown like that not in a thumbnail. Again I am inclined to think in the forums you have many professional hunters, protectionists and many other outdoors people
including native Americans and other people that consider that animal sacred.
It is not that is offensive or not and certainly not to me but simply questioned what is the point of that picture and what we can learn from this if someone wants to learn obviously. If we don't want to learn or we don't even
know what we are talking about then we are in a different frequency.
It is not arguing nor cheap talking. I can see the pics the person loves the outdoors and his dog. I am happy he is alive. It is about profound love for what we do and how to give the best example possible.
Responsible firearms owners and hunters are made of responsible citizens.

E, you need to develop a thicker skin. Frankly, I'm pretty much convinced that few around you in Gomorrah-on-the-Hudson would have given little thought to Bergmann if the bear had managed to kill him, other than to say something profoundly snarky about firearms and those who have and use them. Moreover, I'm not inclined to give much of a damn how we're perceived at this rate by self-righteous hipster twits who are afraid of rubber band guns as societally irresponsible.

My skin is just fine. I have barnacles in my balls already. Nobody is worried about self-righteous hipsters.
As I said I am very happy for the attacked person but like many senior hunters will tell you I just wanted to transmit a sense of respect to the animal and mother nature
and I that pic I am not sure what message is sending. Nothing else.
Obviously everyone is entitled to don't give a dam about anything. This is a free country after all.

Those pictures go to the search engines so people can see full blown like that not in a thumbnail. Again I am inclined to think in the forums you have many professional hunters, protectionists and many other outdoors people
including native Americans and other people that consider that animal sacred.
It is not that is offensive or not and certainly not to me but simply questioned what is the point of that picture and what we can learn from this if someone wants to learn obviously. If we don't want to learn or we don't even
know what we are talking about then we are in a different frequency.
It is not arguing nor cheap talking. I can see the pics the person loves the outdoors and his dog. I am happy he is alive. It is about profound love for what we do and how to give the best example possible.
Responsible firearms owners and hunters are made of responsible citizens.

Interesting ..That's soooooooooooo cute ..I think the real problem here is you have a problem and you're looking for something to bitch about. Your audacity is an emotional reaction to your own short comings that fester in your heart. I'm sure in the back of your head you know you would have shit your pants like a 6 year old girl and got eaten so you have to rag on me. Have you ever faced a bear that was gonna kill you in such a situation? No. That's the answer, NO..so shut your suck. I killed that bear. Fuk that bear, fuk that bear twice. I cant fathom caring any less who holds it sacred. Its survival and I survived. I earned the right to make any picture I wanted. If you dont like the picture, go find a bushcraft forum and sing campfire songs. This is a big boy forum and you'll need big boy pants here.

I'm still here to be with my wife and friends and thats whats important. I dont care who is insulted by the picture. Grow up.

Last edited:
I'm a firm believer in that weapons evolve for a reason..here is a story of a Bolt action that didn't save the guy here in Alaska. I'm certain If he had semi auto, there would be a better chance of him being alive today..

Bear Attack

Last edited:
My skin is just fine. I have barnacles in my balls already. Nobody is worried about self-righteous hipsters.
As I said I am very happy for the attacked person but like many senior hunters will tell you I just wanted to transmit a sense of respect to the animal and mother nature
and I that pic I am not sure what message is sending. Nothing else.
Obviously everyone is entitled to don't give a dam about anything. This is a free country after all.

I figure she's about your speed ...

I'm a firm believer in that weapons evolve for a reason..here is a story of a Bolt action that didn't save the guy here in Alaska. I'm certain If he had semi auto, there would be a better chance of him being alive today..

Bear Attack

That's a sad story and what's crazy is that the 280 is no weakling of a cartridge...yet that bear got him. A 90 degree bend in the road is the perfect ambush point.
Good thing you had semi auto firepower...from what I've read/heard about bear attacks they are quick and violent.

My grandfather had a run in with a big brown/grizzley bear when he lived in British Columbia in his younger years...he got lucky and was able to kill the charging bear with a lever action rifle.

Bears are king of the woods, I wouldn't want to go into brown bear country without a rifle.

Glad you made it out alive.

That's a sad story and what's crazy is that the 280 is no weakling of a cartridge...yet that bear got him. A 90 degree bend in the road is the perfect ambush point.
Good thing you had semi auto firepower...from what I've read/heard about bear attacks they are quick and violent.

My grandfather had a run in with a big brown/grizzley bear when he lived in British Columbia in his younger years...he got lucky and was able to kill the charging bear with a lever action rifle.

Bears are king of the woods, I wouldn't want to go into brown bear country without a rifle.

Glad you made it out alive.

Thanks you, Sir. ...

Bear Attack

Thank you for sharing your experience and the Bear attack story above Bergmann!

Nope no Yogi there..The bear eating that calve could have easily been me..

We were at a wildlife refuge one day here in Alaska and two grizz got to scrapping right in front of me through a wire fence. It was an awesome display of power and aggression. These are pictures from that day..I was really close. Mere feet in fact and I remember thinking that an Ak-74 or AKM would indeed take one out..I remember firing and controlling every shot I shot as best I could to be sure he stopped. I'm glad I was correct.

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx48/bootnknife/2 July Whittier/SANY0053.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx48/bootnknife/2 July Whittier/SANY0054.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx48/bootnknife/2 July Whittier/00010011.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx48/bootnknife/2 July Whittier/00010005.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx48/bootnknife/2 July Whittier/00010006.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx48/bootnknife/2 July Whittier/00010004.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx48/bootnknife/2 July Whittier/00010002.jpg

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx48/bootnknife/2 July Whittier/00010003.jpg

I remember thinking that an Ak-74 or AKM would indeed take one out...

would an AK pistol be something to consider as well? Thanks
SAM7Kai.jpg

SAM7K PISTOL - 7.62, milled receiver

Not for me. Full rifle with proper sights for target acquisition...You would be spraying and praying with that, IMO...

I don't know, I got to fire my friend's and I surprised myself how well I did with it, at least offhand shooting. You can pull against the sling and the foregrip adds a lot of stability vs. handgun. Probably wouldn't make that much difference with the 30 rounds that would fly toward the bear with me at the trigger. The mobility and maneuverability might be worth the trade-off.

Edit: Monday morning quarterback mode off. :D