• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up All Oregonians check in !

Re: All Oregonians check in !

Hello All,
Im from the Bend area, Prineville to be exact. Im down in Commifornia working alot. Been fortunate enough to go shoot at Sac Valley in the wind quite often. Actually Im a member there. I am really wanting to go shoot some steel silo and or some 600 plus. Any ranges in Oregon I need to know about? Any how if any of you Oregonians need anything hauled up from the Bay area north give me a shout I may be able to help ya! Ciao

Oregon Shooter:

If you are from bend you need to get out to the COSSA range out on Highway 20 east of Bend. I have only shot there once, but they have several ranges, one that goes out to 1000, and one that has steel every 50 yards out to 500 if I am not mistaken. Just google central oregon shooting sports association and it should come up, scroll down to a link to a map, but it is pretty easy to find.
Have fun.

Just found this post. Sorry it took me so long. I have been away from the computer. I am located in here in Bend. Also new to the Hide.

Yes. Usually twice a month at least. Lately I have been at the public range shooting pistols and my .223.

How many hide members are shooting the COSSA match next week?

See you all there if your going!

I shoot mostly at tri-county, but would love to get more time on Douglas Ridge's 1000 yard range. If there are Douglas Ridge members who would like time at Tri-county ranges, I can swap hosting you at Tri-county.

Tri county has 600 yard shooting Tuesday evenings starting about 5 or 5:30pm. Just enough time to shoot two relays. If you are there late though, you might be out of luck because when they divide up for shooting or pulling targets you miss out picking where you start...And it is sorta uncool to show up and say "I want to shoot, but can't pull targets". But at least if you are there, you can get in some 600 yard trigger time.

Almost any of the members will help you get onto the range for the shoot, but you have to start out with a good 300 yard zero. If you can't hit the 600 yard backer within 2-3 shots, the club's liability says you have to stop shooting. But if you have a good 300 yard zero, it is usually pretty easy to get onto a 5x5 foot target backer.

I'm in the Milwaukie, OR area. Have been on this site for quite a while, but just found this thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Willys46</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How many hide members are shooting the COSSA match next week?

See you all there if your going!

</div></div>

That COSSA sure is a nice range ,it was a fun shoot even with the dust kicken up

Greetings from Portland! TCGC is home for me. I've been shooting PR matches there and just getting started in LR. Just shot my new 770/SS there this morning. Hope to see you all out there.

hello all from butte falls oregon where men are men and sheep are well just used to it haha

I am located here in Bend. Always looking for a somebody to shoot with. Feel free to send me a PM.

Someone asked me via PM how to find places to shoot. I thought I might as well post it here as well. Also for those that are looking for others to shoot with: A) Go shoot by yourself. 99% of all the rounds I have fired have been by myself. Your schedule rarely matches up with another's. Don't let not having a partner stop you. B) You will have better odds of finding shooting buddies if you are the one that always knows where to go shoot.

How to find places in the woods to shoot:

1. Go to the county's GIS web site such as http://washims.co.washington.or.us/gis/- many counties in OR have these, some are better than others. Worst case you may have to call the county or even a title company - give them an area and ask for an inventory of all public lands and the appropriate map (parcel map) to locate them.

2. Fire up Google Earth

3. What you want to find using a combination of the two is PUBLIC LAND that is easily accessible, and will give you the right amount of distance - use the Google Earth Measuring Tool.

4. Get a USGI Quad Map for the appropriate area.

5. Pull the coordinates off Google Earth and go out and physically inspect them (remember Google Earth datum is WSG 84, your USGI map may be different. When you load the co-ords in your GPS, load them right off of Google Earth using WSG 84, then via your GPS convert them to whatever datum your USGI Quad map is in). Make 1000% sure you are on Public Land and not on private land - use the map / gps / compass to confirm this.

6. Things to know - Oregon Law has no problem with shooting on public land, it has a major problem with shooting across a road - regardless of what type of road it is (skid trail, improved dirt, paved). Therefore, the common fix is when your driving look for areas of the road that "U" back around such that you can see the other side. If the shot looks good, go below the road line 30 - 50 yards (or more if the distance is really big) with a shovel and a matlock to dig a flat spot in the side of the hill. Set your target here and then drive back around to the other side of the "U" and make the shot. I like places where the public can not see the shooting position or the target from the road. This takes a little extra effort but not much in most cases.

** ETA - be smart - be able to see a good stretch of road on both sides of the target such that you can see any approaching vehicle. Regardless of how far your target is below the road line, do not fire while that vehicle is anywhere near it.

***ETA 2 - MRPC (Medford Rifle and Pistol Club) has Fullbore / F Class practice on Wednesday nights starting at @ 5:00 pm out at the Camp White Range - next to the drag strip at the Jackson County Sports Park.

Get out there and good luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Someone asked me via PM how to find places to shoot. I thought I might as well post it here as well. Also for those that are looking for others to shoot with: A) Go shoot by yourself. 99% of all the rounds I have fired have been by myself. Your schedule rarely matches up with another's. Don't let not having a partner stop you. B) You will have better odds of finding shooting buddies if you are the one that always knows where to go shoot.

How to find places in the woods to shoot:

1. Go to the county's GIS web site such as http://washims.co.washington.or.us/gis/- many counties in OR have these, some are better than others. Worst case you may have to call the county or even a title company - give them an area and ask for an inventory of all public lands and the appropriate map (parcel map) to locate them.

2. Fire up Google Earth

3. What you want to find using a combination of the two is PUBLIC LAND that is easily accessible, and will give you the right amount of distance - use the Google Earth Measuring Tool.

4. Get a USGI Quad Map for the appropriate area.

5. Pull the coordinates off Google Earth and go out and physically inspect them (remember Google Earth datum is WSG 84, your USGI map may be different. When you load the co-ords in your GPS, load them right off of Google Earth using WSG 84, then via your GPS convert them to whatever datum your USGI Quad map is in). Make 1000% sure you are on Public Land and not on private land - use the map / gps / compass to confirm this.

6. Things to know - Oregon Law has no problem with shooting on public land, it has a major problem with shooting across a road - regardless of what type of road it is (skid trail, improved dirt, paved). Therefore, the common fix is when your driving look for areas of the road that "U" back around such that you can see the other side. If the shot looks good, go below the road line 30 - 50 yards (or more if the distance is really big) with a shovel and a matlock to dig a flat spot in the side of the hill. Set your target here and then drive back around to the other side of the "U" and make the shot. I like places where the public can not see the shooting position or the target from the road. This takes a little extra effort but not much in most cases.

** ETA - be smart - be able to see a good stretch of road on both sides of the target such that you can see any approaching vehicle. Regardless of how far your target is below the road line, do not fire while that vehicle is anywhere near it.

***ETA 2 - MRPC (Medford Rifle and Pistol Club) has Fullbore / F Class practice on Wednesday nights starting at @ 5:00 pm out at the Camp White Range - next to the drag strip at the Jackson County Sports Park.

Get out there and good luck. </div></div>

Thanks for posting this MZB very helpful of you.

Any shooters in the Bend,OR area using any of the AI stocks? Hoping to shoulder one before taking the plunge.

Greetings fellow shooters,

I'm near the Sunriver area. I'm getting back into shooting after a long time off, but new to long range.

I've seen the COSSA booth a few times but never stopped by yet. Nice info Mo_Zam, thanks.

Great site and good shooting,
MeridianNW~

hello everyone!
I live in Eugene oregon just geting into lr shooting more starting to setup a nice new gun because i have a couple pretty good places to shoot that i own! Send me a PM sometime if u have any questions or ever wanna shooting

Hey Im in Portland and a member at TCGC hit me up if you want to go there I would be glad to take you. I also am looking for a coyote hunting partner if your interested feel free to call me. 503-799-1218

onajoyride-
I'm a TCGC member too. Do you shoot PR there?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: onajoyride</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey Im in Portland and a member at TCGC hit me up if you want to go there I would be glad to take you. I also am looking for a coyote hunting partner if your interested feel free to call me. 503-799-1218</div></div>

Coyote hunting in the Portland area? Is that like at the bars around the airport, or what?

Anyone know of a place to shoot out on BLM land near Sunriver? My dad, brother and I are meeting there for a guys weekend. We have heard of a gravel pit near LaPine, but would prefer someplace closer to SR if possible. We don't need anything too long range, We're just going to be shooting handguns and carbines.

Thanks in advance.

It might be too late for you but there is another pit closer to you than China Hat. Just head for the highway (97) and continue under it (Sunriver exit) to the east for about 1.2 miles or so, it's on the right hand side of USFS Road 9720, you can't miss it.

Cheers~

Bend/Redmond checking in..new to the forums not to central Oregon.

Welcome to the fo22rums dmwebb34 / neighbor.

Here is a question for all Oregonians & Washingtonians:

1) Where do you tend to go for your ammo purchases in the Portland/Vancouver area?

2) Where can you check out high end optics in the PDX area? I'd like to shop/compare S&B, USO & NF.

Thanks~

Meridian try Keiths sporting goods in Gresham. I think they carry those scopes and they had a good collection of ammo as well.

Mac

Thanks Mac, I'll definately be checking out Keith's. I go through Gresham all the time.
wink.gif

For high end optics and rifles you might want to check out Blackwater Tactical in Salem. Its a bit of a drive but worth it. Good advice and decent prices on ammo. There are no decently stocked or experienced tactical shops in the PDX area in my opinion. Plenty of black rifle retailers but too few that understand long range tradecraft.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PDXGS</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For high end optics and rifles you might want to check out Blackwater Tactical in Salem. Its a bit of a drive but worth it. Good advice and decent prices on ammo. There are no decently stocked or experienced tactical shops in the PDX area in my opinion. Plenty of black rifle retailers but too few that understand long range tradecraft.

</div></div>

Yeah, I've never seen much of value in gunshops around here. The most you see at the larger retailers like the sportswarehouse or whatever it's called now is Leupold scopes.

I generally just ask people at the range to view through their optics. When I get around to it I'll be buying online.

I load ammo, so no problems there
smile.gif

Thanks PDX, actually Salem is just as close if not closer!

And you too Cwolf, to have it confirmed is great, but I must say surprising too!

I've been to the PDX Gun show a couple of times but not since I became interested in high end optics. Man am I ever glad I waited! Now I'm suspecting that those top scopes don't really make appearances at those shows, just the dealers.

It seems many scope owners in the FS section went through what I would have been doing, trying to get their as much of their $750-$1200 back to move up the ladder.

I'll just keep reading, shooting and saving for the best.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Hey, I work in the PDX area and live just south of Portland. Starting up some serious LR practice, which brings me to a question.

Anyone know of good areas to get out to 600-1000 within a couple hours of Portland? I know about TCGC and Douglas, but I dislike ranges; I'd rather work on my own timing than pull and set targets when everyone else does...

Any wide-open BLM land around?

Theres got to be somebody on here between Ontario and Burns lol??? Maybe between Jordan Valley and Joseph going vertical???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MKSMN762</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey, I work in the PDX area and live just south of Portland. Starting up some serious LR practice, which brings me to a question.

Anyone know of good areas to get out to 600-1000 within a couple hours of Portland? I know about TCGC and Douglas, but I dislike ranges; I'd rather work on my own timing than pull and set targets when everyone else does...

Any wide-open BLM land around? </div></div>

I've yet to find any that wasn't owned by someone. When I do you can find me there about once a every other week or so.

I think taking Mo_Zam_Beek's advice above about the BLM maps is probably your best bet.

Anyone interested in meeting up at one of these BLM areas for some practice? Have any steel?

New LR shooter from Salem here. Been lurking around the hide for awhile gathering info, and I've been shooting for some years, but just getting into long range stuff.