• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Member Link Up All Oregonians check in !

Re: All Oregonians check in !

I just got back from PDX area and stopped at Keith's Sporting Goods on my way back through Gresham. It is a well equipped little gun store, with a lot of firearms to browse, and lots of ammo and accessories too.

It was quite a bit smaller than I was expecting but like I said, well stocked. As far as scopes go, they had an impressive selection of Leupolds, a pretty good selection of Swarovskis and a lot of Bushnells to choose from. Didn't see any Nightforce or US Optics though. They had several Eotechs too.

The place was hopping and the staff seemed very well versed and able to help. There were quite a few staff members present also, so it would not have been too bad a wait.

Just wanted to provide a store report for those who might be interested.

MeridianNW~

Born in Coquille, Raised in Coos Bay. Living in Albany now. Just getting in LR shooting.

Near Milwaukie, and TCGC member and active in practical rifle, precision rifle, and used to shoot the 600 yard league. All great fun.

Zack here from Keizer, OR near Salem, other owner of Southwest Ammunition. Oregonians should stick together and you should purchase your ammo from me. Great deals going on, check them out.

I will be home for the holidays and looking for a place to shoot, someone should hit me up

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: planalpha</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anyone interested in meeting up at one of these BLM areas for some practice? Have any steel? </div></div>

I'm probably going to get my hands on some steel soon I'd be down if you know a spot
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MikeSWammo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Zack here from Keizer, OR near Salem, other owner of Southwest Ammunition. Oregonians should stick together and you should purchase your ammo from me. Great deals going on, check them out.

I will be home for the holidays and looking for a place to shoot, someone should hit me up </div></div>

Hey Mike, er... Zack I mean, thanks for checking in.

I've always liked the idea of 'shopping' online and then seeing what's available (more like testing business philosophy, actually) locally to support local commerce... but ammo is one of those things that happens to weigh so much, shipping costs tend to tip the scales in favor of not being able to actually purchase online without falling into the apples to oranges category.

In other words, by the time I pay for shipping, I could probably buy it at a gun store locally for less, 9 times out of 10. And so I see you're profile says AZ, but maybe you travel here a lot and sales could be FTF then?

I'm actually pretty good for ammo right now, but I'm always shopping for the best place to buy it. There is a seller from Salem I believe, who frequents the PDX shows who can actually compete favorably selling it shipped the La Pine / Bend area... maybe that is you! (but only if you've changed the name of your business recently)

Merry Christmas,
MeridianNW~

Hey Zack, welcome! Did you go to North? I went to Sprague 82'.

Edit: re Post just above; yeah, you can buy some great federal or other crap with SD's of 35 or what not at your gun store but what you will not get is commercially manufactured match grade ammunition that an outfit like SW Ammo produces at a reasonable price. Shopping ammunition in the way you describe is akin to critiquing a meal based on quantity (and right, the Kings Table wins that battle every time).

I think we all should try and get a shoot going if someone knows a good spot to shoot out to 1000+ yards.
I have some steel and maybe I can have one of my shooting buddies here on the hide come with us with his steel.

Mac

That's the problem with the Salem area; nobody I know knows of a spot (public land that is) for up to 1000 yard shooting. My Salem buds have joined COSSA and make the drive to Bend for that. If you guys know of a spot near Salem for long distance shooting, could you send me a p.m. about it-I have folks in Salem who would really appreciate such information.

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scottishtornado</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think we all should try and get a shoot going if someone knows a good spot to shoot out to 1000+ yards.
I have some steel and maybe I can have one of my shooting buddies here on the hide come with us with his steel.

Mac </div></div>

I'm up for it just give me some warning. I really don't know where we could go though, but I do have some ideas I think out on logging roads in the coast range there might be a few spots out there where we could open up enough not to have to shoot across a road.

i've got a nice place to shoot out to 700 yards and if you wanna hike, 1000+++++ yards lol. Nice to see fellow oregonians on the hide!

Meridian,

Zack here, My wife and I own a house in Keizer and have lived there since I was 11. I work in Arizona Lately 2 weeks a month, I do plan on moving to AZ though.

On the ammo side, if you buy your ammo in quanities you will find a better deal on the internet everytime. One or two boxes, yea a store will be better. My ammo is probely as low in price you are going to get, and all comparisons against the big boys have favored our direction. Right now we are a factory direct for ammo needs which you cannot beat.

We do match and custom hunting loads for most calibers.

Nice chattin,

Zack

I went to Mcnary High, 2000 grad. Thanks for the talk up there.

Zack

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: villhelm</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i've got a nice place to shoot out to 700 yards and if you wanna hike, 1000+++++ yards lol. Nice to see fellow oregonians on the hide! </div></div>

I'm not scared to put a good walk in send me a PM!

I'm a responsible shooter and will leave no trace that I was there.

There used to be some really nice spots near the Deschutes river. But that takes a bit of a drive, then you park by the river, and hike up over the top of the ridge onto BLM land. I don't know if there has been some recent ruling or regulation prohibiting shooting within a certain distance of the river though. It would be sort of tough to hike 2 miles with all your gear AND the steel to shoot at..

Thanks Zack,

I went to college at NAU, and I loved it. Flagstaff is pretty similar country to Central OR.

Good luck in your new endeavor and Merry Christmas!

Don't forget...precision rifle match toward the end of February at Tri-county. Because of liability, even club members have to go through a certification to shoot. But Non-members can shoot the matches as long as they complete the certification. Mostly, the certification reviews safety expectations, match rules, scoring system, and gives the people who run the match a chance to see you shoot so they know that you are familiar with your system.

They have actually had some people come to practical rifle matches who weren't familiar with all the operating mechanisms (safety, bolt release, charging handle) for their firearm. They are trying to weed those types of people out (I'm a bit leery of being around people with loaded weapons when they don't know what they are doing with them).

my wifes ENTIRE family is around sweethome so i'm up there a couple times a year when in the states. I"ll have to post up and see if you guys want to shoot next time i'm up. Probably moving up there in a couple years when i get out.

Precision rifle match at Tri-County on 12 February. More info posted in a thread on page 1 where an Oregon shooter is looking for long range shooting places.

Can anyone point me to some long distance ranges in Southern Oregon? The closest ones around me are in Merlin and White City, both go to around 600yds or so. Any others nearby?

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeeblerArmy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can anyone point me to some long distance ranges in Southern Oregon? The closest ones around me are in Merlin and White City, both go to around 600yds or so. Any others nearby?

Thanks </div></div>

Yea , its called THE DESERT .

I thought you guys might like to know about this from OTS' blog.

The guys from On Target Solutions are having another free new shooter clinic at Tri-County. If any of you or your friends are just getting started and would like to jumpstart your long range shooting skills come on out to TCGC on February 5th to attend the event.
http://www.otsnw.com/2011/01/ots-new-shooter-clinics-at-tri-county-gun-club/

Portland checking in.

Hopefully I'll make it out to one of the OTS new shooter clinics this year.

Long range shooting spots in western Oregon are called clear cuts. Drive in any direction for 10 minutes. You'll find one.

41 (Roseburg)

South East Oregon has some great places to shoot if you go past French Glen. There are a couple of places to stay at French Glen if you don't want to camp. Either the French Glen Inn, or there is a "resort" across the street from it where you can rent out mobile homes.

When we went there, we stayed at the resort across the street from the French Glenn Inn, went to the Inn for Breakfast, and had them pack a lunch for us. We returned in time for dinner at the Inn. the food there is great.

Shooting is down almost anywhere outside of french Glenn. Catlow Valley has lots of places to shoot. If you continue south, you can go to the community hotsprings (free) that are on the edge of the Alvord desert. You can shoot almost any place if you are intelligent enough to look for animals, buildings and such first. Make sure you are far enough away from anything that you don't bother the residents with noise, or make them worry that you are shooting their stock. The ranges down there are farther than you need. Finding a place to shoot 2000 yards is not difficult at all.

The wind is quite stiff out there, but that is reality. Great shooting, and no drunks, or dopers bothering you while you are trying to shoot. With a population of around 20, French Glenn, or Fields (maybe 40) you aren't really crowded finding places to shoot. Common courtesy goes a long way down there.

Checkin' in from Molalla! The Tri-County match was today, and as my first long range match I really enjoyed it.. Learned a bit, and I would encourage any shooters in the area to come out next time. Good people and very professional range staff...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LRS_Ranger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Checkin' in from Molalla! The Tri-County match was today, and as my first long range match I really enjoyed it.. Learned a bit, and I would encourage any shooters in the area to come out next time. Good people and very professional range staff... </div></div>

I was out there
smile.gif
was a great shoot. I had some painful technical issues unfortunately, but still a great time.

Any Oregonians interested in learning any skill level of rescue swimming techniques should send me a PM.

I've got a good personal friend that was a CWSS in the Marine Corps, and a commercial diver following who is going to offer some introductory classes locally here in Portland for interested friends.

I think I may have talked him into a pretty good price if I could get a few people together so let me know if you're interested.

He's also open to teaching just general swimming techniques, but I figured people here might be more interested in the lifesaving fundamentals.

I've had lessons from him in the past, and it'll definitely give you more confidence in the water if something were to happen.

Summer is right around the corner, and we hear about a lot of drowning victims every year here so it couldn't hurt to be prepared.

Hey, Eugene Shooters. Have any of you guys used a gunsmith by the name of Mike Hill? I've had him do some minor work that came out well, but have heard mixed reviews from other locals. I want to re-barrel a Savage 112bvss with a 1-10 Rock 5R or something similar. I also have some muzzle threading to do. Any horror stories out there, or success stories?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlcoholicusRex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Eugene here.I have found two spots in the coast range about 30 minutes out. Both have steel. The first one is the third spur road to the left off Fisk rd. which is on Poodle ck. rd. A saddle back ridge that with a new clear cut to the west. Somebody hung steel at 300, 480, & 750yds there. The other one is on Simonsen rd. off territorial that has one lone piece of steel hanging 900yds out from the easternmost landing. </div></div>

I would be really interested in checking out that Fisk rd setup if you could give me a little better directions. I drove Poodle Creek a few times when I was logging down that way so getting to Fisk is no problem. After I get on Fisk how far up would that left spur be? about? I google satellite mapped it and the third left looks like a driveway to someones house.

Very good info thanks for the spot on directions. I'm going to have to make it down there to check it out. I have some steel I just cant find anyplace to put it around here. I have 3 pieces of about 4'x4'x3/4" railroad car steel. You wouldnt happen to know who the land owner is by chance?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KeithR41</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Long range shooting spots in western Oregon are called clear cuts. Drive in any direction for 10 minutes. You'll find one.

41 (Roseburg)</div></div>

Not a very good idea around this area as almost all clearcuts are private timber companys like weyerhauser, starker forests and forest capital and if you get caught shooting on them you will wind up with a Tresspassing With Firearms ticket. Seven of my friends got them when shooting on the edge of a clearcut and no these were not hillbillys shooting tv's.

No problems shooting in the woods around her as long as you aren't shooting over roads.

New Roseburg Long Range shooter here! And there are some great spots up on the Callahans that you can go shoot as far as you can see. Its on Seneca property though, and I have been shooting up there for years with no problems yet. But dont try shooting on Weyerhauser property. I have been warned before and I never shot on their land again.

Not Sure who owns it. This area is saturated with shooters, many of whom may be hillbillies shooting t.v.s . There are also the ever present garbage dumpers, meth lab dumps, and tweekers burning plastic coating off wire they rip off from power companies and construction sites. The powers that be may not like the long range steel plinkers, but they have bigger problems down here. Just DO NOT get caught shooting at steel during a high level 3 fire danger. I've been warned by an un named forester, that they will take a personal interest in acquiring your belongings by any means necessary.

Please do NOT shoot on private land.

I posted instructions for everyone a page or two back on how to find public lands to shoot on - safely.

Shooting on private land - no made how clean or responsible you are - gives us all a bad name. There is no excuse.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AlcoholicusRex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just DO NOT get caught shooting at steel during a high level 3 fire danger. I've been warned by an un named forester, that they will take a personal interest in acquiring your belongings by any means necessary. </div></div>

IIRC - that is state law - if you are found to be grossly negligent for starting a fire - you will pay the costs to fight it.

Good luck

I spent 12 years in wildland fire suppression. The warning came as a courtesy among friends, and even though it seems like common sense, I felt it necessary to pass it along.
Question: If it has been logged, does that automatically mean it is private land?

Since I cannot verify whether or not the spot I posted is public, I am deleting that post. I am going to try Mo_Zam_Beek's advice and try to locate a suitable spot on public land. I have to shoot at least once a month, so rest assured that I will endeavor to persevere in this matter. I Will post my findings.

From my experience 5 years logging arond here if it has been clearcut yes it is private land. BLM does not do clearcuts it only does thinning at least that's all I ever did when I worked on BLM and thats all I have heard of being done on BLM. The only clearcuts I did were for private timber companies. You can go to a BLM office and buy a map of where you want to shoot and it will show you the property ownership of that area.