• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Alpen Apex to test

advance

Private
Minuteman
Nov 15, 2013
central va
Alpen Optics Product List

I have this scope sitting on my .243 Savage for testing. I had been looking for an intermediate level scope to be able to teach my sons and grandsons the ways of dialing in a target at mid to long range(200-600yds)
I have used Alpen Binos for some time and have yet to find any others I would replace them with.
I'm hoping this rifle scope will be a pleasant surprise.
If I catch a break in the weather, I have some loads made and ready to go.

I'm not going to bad mouth it just because of the China label, I was more curious because at a quick glance of their website they of course avoid that question. I'm all for a lower budget scope made wherever, so long as I can identify and index my target, it doesn't break or lose zero easily, and it tracks true. I have yet to find anything nicer than a SWFA SS 10x for that purpose though.

Looking forward to you wringing this one out for us!

UPDATE:
I was able to get some bench time in yesterday after church.
Rifle: Hunting grade Savage bolt model 11 .243WCF
Optics: Alpen Apex 6-24x50 30mm tube
It started raining shortly after I set up, but the benches are under cover so I was able to get 9 rounds fired. First 3 at 50y to get close to zero.

The next 6 shots were without any more adjustment.

3 shots at 100 yds with IMR 4320 at 38gr & 95gr nosler balistic tip. 3 = 1.695":mad:

next 3= 37.5 4320 and they tightened up nicely to .378"

The Alpen optics were very crisp and clear at all power settings, and the focus adjustments cleaned up anything I was zeroed on.

I didn't shoot long because of the weather getting out of hand, but I hope to do some more testing next week with some more of that 37.5gr load of IMR 4320 and see how the tracking is.
First impressions are very favorable.

Last edited: