• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Alpha 6br Norma

hangunnr

Team Shutupnshoot
Minuteman
May 7, 2002
Flatlandia
So, since Lapua 6br brass has become difficult to find how does the Alpha stack up next to it?
Never used anything Alpha so I have no firsthand experience of the quality.

I don’t know about Alpha but Peterson makes excellent brass. Just as good and just as accurate as Lapua. I now have 200 of their 6br converted to 22br it shots the same as Lapua converted to 22br. In 6x47 i had 8 reloads and hadn’t lost a case. It was my 1000 fclass brass.

David

We used to have to fireform from 6BR to 6 Dasher.
Lapua 6 BR was the clear favorite for the parent case, but there were a few others.

Then Alpha came along with factory 6 Dasher.
In the beginning, there were some hiccups but they soon settled out.

Will there be some differences between Lapua and Alpha, yes but nothing you can't handle.
If you are capable of tuning with Lapua, you are also capable of tuning with Alpha.

I'm seven loads into my Alpha 6BR brass. No problems anywhere; plenty happy with it. I do anneal (AMP) after every firing. The only comparison I can make is with early-run Peterson 6.5CM brass. [shrug] They both get the job done. I don't have more than eight loads through any of it. I haven't used Lapua brass. It wasn't available in the calibers I wanted when I wanted it, so it's all been Alpha or Peterson.

One of my match buddies is using Alpha 6BR brass from the same lot I have (I picked it up for him at the same time I got mine). He shoots far more centerfire than me and has used Lapua brass for everything but his .223 practice ammo (Starline). He has also been happy with the Alpha brass.

fwiw.

Reactions: hangunnr
Went ahead and picked up a box of Alpha 6br brass. Packaging is nice. Applying the eyechrometer reveals nice consistent flash holes and primer pockets.

I then pulled 50 random new blue box Lapua and 50 of the Alpha and weighed them. Gotta admit I was surprised the Lapua showed such a large variance in a relatively small case. Lapua had a 2.1gr difference from low to high and the Alpha had a .8gr difference.

Neck thickness was then measured. The Alpha all showed just a tick over .013 and the Lapua right on .013.

ciur66.jpg

This won’t stop me from using Lapua brass but it’s nice to know there is very legit competition out there.

Last edited: