• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Alpha type 2 mags in a JP chassis

Super-X

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2010
Calif
Just got my Lawton back from the smith who opened up the receiver to accept the longer mags/oal What I noticed right off the bat was they wont drop free when released. My JP mags do drop free wo issue. The action is mounted in a JP MOR chassis though they have changed the name recently. Looking at the mags the issue is width and not length. So if you have this JP chassis there will be more effort than plug and play with these magazines. Just an FYI........TM

Two mags were purchased - both have the same issue. If you are interested in measurements or photo's... pm me.

Re: Alpha type 2 mags in a JP chassis

They have a snug fit for fitting "good" into most AICS bottom metal.I'm assuming JP built their mags to their tolerences for their chassis,but just a hunch.I have a couple of these and they are snug but for me as I think it's perfect.I'm not too into side-to-side movement.They also run flawlessly.Goodshootin'

~Reagan

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Widowmaker0001</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They have a snug fit for fitting "good" into most AICS bottom metal.I'm assuming JP built their mags to their tolerences for their chassis,but just a hunch.I have a couple of these and they are snug but for me as I think it's perfect.I'm not too into side-to-side movement.They also flawlessly.Goodshootin'

~Reagan </div></div>

Agreed, I put it down to mass production and the fact that not every combination will work.

Comparing the two mags, JP VS Alpha
Followers
The JP is a nicely machined black synthetic of some sort.
The Alpha is off the shelf teflon that looks like it was roughed out with an axe and finished with a rat tail file.

The metal on the JP mags is heavy blued steel. They feel like quality and feed as such.

The Alpha mags appear to be painted stamped sheet metal made,
well I'm not sure where... some 3rd world country. The idea was solid... the oal of the type 2 is a good idea and should be standard for all of the aftermarket mag makers. I'll likely have to put on some Magpuls to use them. I have not tried to feed rounds through them yet and I may change my mind about them if they feed/function well.

The fit issue I'll own and is no way Alpha's problem. The finish of the metal and followers is however. They really do remind me of the $10 mini 14 mags I used to see at the gun shows back in the 80's.

This started out as an FYI, hey the Alpha mags are too tight for the JP chassis... and I have turned it into a JP VS Alpha mag comparison. My apology for the rant theme.

SuperX-Use whats good for YOU.Alot of people here use the Morta mags.and most don't have problems with them.But like any magazine thats made,some will.I hear yah tho.Goodshootin'

~Reagan

I really need the the xtra oal of the type 2 mag. I'm set up to shoot 7mm08 w/ the 162 amax and that needs 2.965 in my chamber.
If there are any other iacs type mags available with that oal I'll be giving them a try.
My bad for not doing more homework on the Alpha mags. I did put up a post asking for reviews of them. They seem to have good reviews.
Any info on longer oal mags would be appreciated. TM

Well, mostly, when you do ask for/read an Alpha mag review it is good.
I have considered them for my 7MM08 but, as I have the Badger M2008 in an AICS, think I will convert over to AW mags.
It is those few nagging comments that steer me away from Alpha.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RWSGunsmithing</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Super-x,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. Please let me know if I can help any. </div></div>

Thanks R, but this is all on me. I should have done more home work on the mags. I'm pretty sure they are the only game in town for the xtra oal.

Your machine work is very clean, very happy with that hands down.
I won't do any mods to the stock because of the stock vs mag cost. I'll likely remove some from the sides of the mags and have them re-coated. While they wont be pretty, they will drop free if I remove .005 from each side + - . The marks on the mags are a clear guide where remove material.
TM