• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Am I forgetting anything

scott123456789

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 26, 2012
Weatherford, TX
Just picked up a used reloading kit and trying to inventory an order from Midway.

I got RCBS press, 505 scale, lube holder, ram primer and primer pocket brush, plastic shell holder.

I have once fired brass.

planning to buy, 308 dies, bullets, powder, caliper, lyman tumbler, tumbling media, Lee hand trimmer setup, debur tool, shell holder and case lube.

Anything I am lacking?

Re: Am I forgetting anything

I HIGHLY recommend getting a SS media tumbling kit from one of the sponsors here. 2 hours in the drum with Dawn dish detergent and a little Lemi-shine and you will not believe your brass is anything but new. Outside, inside, primer pockets come out awesome.

Good luck!

You're missing reloading manuals, youre going to need a lot of them. Also you should get a bullet puller, always good to have one around. I also didn't see any powder dispensing tool, a powder thrower and a trickler will do just fine.

Ditch the lyman tumbler and lee hand trimmer setup, get something like an ultrasonic cleaner or tumbler with stainless media, and get a good trimmer like the lyman universal carbide trimmer or the wilson trimmer (would require you to buy holders for every caliber you reload).

Sounds like you have pretty much thought of everything. I don't see primers on your list though. I recommend varget for powder. Good luck.

Got a loading manual. Didn't want to spend quite enough to buy a SS media tumbling kit was hoping to get by cheap then jump into a nicer one when I get tired of cleaning out brass and primer pockets. Only going to be doing .308 loads for now do I wasn't as concerned with a powder drop as I wanted to be a bit more precise. Was going to add a trickler to the order.

I know there were better trimmer options but I was assuming I could get by with the lee kit even though it cuts to minimum spec. Don't shoot a ton, <100 rounds a year pre-reloading so if I begin to shoot a bunch more I had planned to upgrade the setup as I learn a bit more about everything.

Scott you are doing fine. You don't need expensive ultrasonic cleaners and wet tumblers. You don't even need to clean your primer pockets.
It amazes me what people think they NEED to load good ammo these days.

I do reccmend a Forrester trimmer when you can afford one. You can find one right now at Natchez on sale for $50, they usually run around $85. A Giraud trimmer is really nice but at $400 it is only if you have plenty of money. Again just like other tools that are nice but not needed. Depending on how much you load you may not need to trim at all. I am not a fan of Lee trimmers.

Gte some Imperial Sizing Die Wax and you won't have to worry about sticking a case.
You might want a trickler. You don't need a trickler, when I started many years ago I used a baby spoon as a trickler, but an actual trickler is very nice to have and they are an affordable item.
You need a powder measure long before you need sparkling clean brass. Get a powder measure, and just so you will know....don't ever refer to it as a powder thrower, it indicates you are not very knowledgable.

Good luck and stay safe.

Everybody always forgets something. I do it all the time, so much so, I've begun carrying a note pad. I have an excuse, I'm 65, and besides i never was that sharp to begin with.

As new guys we all thought we had to get everything right the first time. Clue: nobody gets everything right the first time. Fageddabout it.

Start simple, work from there. Never owned a trickler in my life.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Heretic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I HIGHLY recommend getting a SS media tumbling kit from one of the sponsors here. 2 hours in the drum with Dawn dish detergent and a little Lemi-shine and you will not believe your brass is anything but new. Outside, inside, primer pockets come out awesome.

Good luck! </div></div>

Contact Suasponte here on the hide for the SS media. He and his buddy started the SS craze. Only fair to contact the guy that started it all. I got my SS from him. The guy from Utah knocked off the idea and ran with it. That's a dick move in my book.

You don't *need* it until you need it, but a bullet puller comes in handy at times. A powder trickler is an almost-must-have. Most of what Lee makes is really, um, bad and to be avoided unless you're broke. I'd skip the tumbler and put the money into a better trimmer if I were you. You can clean cases by hand at first - they don't need to sparkle.

Also don't forget a powder funnel.

Powder funnel came with the kit but reading around seems like a tumbler doesn't need to come in my first order. All of the brass i've got, came out of the box went into the rifle 1 round at a time then back into the box. So I should be alright.

+1 on the Imperial sizing wax. 308 brass is the worst I've experienced about getting sticky. If it doesn't want to go in the sizing die, stop and put some Imperial on the neck and shoulder. Good luck, have fun and be careful. Real careful...

easy enough. Keep them coming. Going to go without a tumbler and begin by just hand cleaning then save up for SS setup if the bug bites hard enough.

Speaking of not needing it 'till you need it...

How 'bout a stuck case remover (or a 1/4" bolt, 1/4" tap & a socket...) When you stick a case in your die, nothing else will do.

I don't have a trickler (yet) but it's on my list (maybe that snazzy omega one - mmmmm)... I'm still using a spoon - it works.

I reloaded for quite a while without any kind of tumbler, but I wasn't shooting long range either. Not sure if it's needed for LR, but I have a vibratory one now, and use it cuz I have it.

Gotta bench??
smile.gif

Have Fun!

I've become a big fan of the lyman case prep multi tool. It gives you Deburr, VLD chamfer, and primer pocket cleaners all in a nice LARGE handle for about $20. Worth every penny!