• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Am I the only one here to pre-order the Tesla truck?

The company down the road from me, ATS diesel, was built on Cummins tranny issues. Sound like you have one of the older 12 valve motors?

Rant time:
I hate ATS! their torque converter suck. I bought there billet triple disc converter for over 1200 dollars and it blew out on me in the middle of my PCS move going over the blue ridge mountains. They didn’t help me at all even though it only had maybe a 1000 miles on it. I was stuck on the road in a hotel and they We’re giving me the runaround and wanted me to send back my converter so they could inspect it and told me it would be a month turnaroun! The local tranny shop tried to help me out and explain to him that I had to report at my new duty station in 5 day’s and all they had to do was ship a new converter and I could get back on the road. They didn’t even give a crap. So every chance I get I tell everyone how ATS screwEd a active duty military guy and offered no assistance.

Manual gearboxes will last as long or longer as automatics but modern automatics come with far more gears ,you are already past 10 gears in SUVs and in big rigs past 12 gears , which is kinda impractical in manual .

Last edited:
Manual gearboxes will last as long or longer as automatics but modern automatics come with far more gears ,you are already past 10 gears in SUVs and in big rigs past 12 gears , which is kinda impractical in manual .

So like this explanation of the endless shifting:

Reactions: Cheyenne Bodie
Rant time:
I hate ATS! their torque converter suck. I bought there billet triple disc converter for over 1200 dollars and it blew out on me in the middle of my PCS move going over the blue ridge mountains. They didn’t help me at all even though it only had maybe a 1000 miles on it. I was stuck on the road in a hotel and they We’re giving me the runaround and wanted me to send back my converter so they could inspect it and told me it would be a month turnaroun! The local tranny shop tried to help me out and explain to him that I had to report at my new duty station in 5 day’s and all they had to do was ship a new converter and I could get back on the road. They didn’t even give a crap. So every chance I get I tell everyone how ATS screwEd a active duty military guy and offered no assistance.

Their reputation is shit around here too. At least amongst those who know better. And it seems to apply to his business reputation as well. I'd steer clear personally.

There aren't any rules, I'm making this game up as I go along. Now that we're moving towards a real discussion and away from the passive aggressive banter its not as fun. Mostly I just like hating on automatic transmissions.

Yes, its a 12v, so simple I can perform all necessary maintenance with a hammer and vice grips!

Used to be if you wanted the most power you'd have to option a manual. Now it's the reverse. Probably due to the computers that govern power so you can't overpower the clutches. Also probably the reason we're seeing so many super high power engines as options these days.

And now I understand why you like noisy cars. You're deaf from all that diesel chatter of that 12 valve. ?

• Haha
Reactions: TonyTheTiger
remember when vehicles were advertised by half naked women.... that would make that truck look better....

Upcoming GT model

ea653aa0257227fe47854dfc847e979b

Here's my unique referral code. Please use when ordering your truck or any other Tesla products. Gonna need my free charging. ?

Better order now before the big bugaloo hits full speed.:geek:

EXOSKELETON
Cybertruck is built with an exterior shell made for ultimate durability and passenger protection. Starting with a nearly impenetrable exoskeleton, every component is designed for superior strength and endurance, from Ultra-Hard 30X Cold-Rolled stainless-steel structural skin to Tesla armor glass.

And don't forget my referral code!

I like it, but remember, it’s a solid 2yrs before production, so some things will certainly change. Probably a little softer lines. And windows that are actually shatter proof lol.

I like it, but remember, it’s a solid 2yrs before production, so some things will certainly change. Probably a little softer lines. And windows that are actually shatter proof lol.

The lines are integral to the structural strength and also keeping production simple and costs low. Not sure how much it will change in regards to looks other than headlights, trim, etc. I would expect it to look pretty much how it is today.

Here is a question to think about and @Gunfighter14e2 may have some input:

Cool truck and all, but let's say you are driving around town with it and a really good EMP hits and knocks out the computer systems of your vehicle. Will you be able to get out? The lock / unlock / handles are somewhat computer controlled and with smash resistant glass.......

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
Here is a question to think about and @Gunfighter14e2 may have some input:

Cool truck and all, but let's say you are driving around town with it and a really good EMP hits and knocks out the computer systems of your vehicle. Will you be able to get out? The lock / unlock / handles are somewhat computer controlled and with smash resistant glass.......

It doubles as a toaster oven. Elon was going to let everyone know in the next press release........

It doubles as a toaster oven. Elon was going to let everyone know in the next press release........

It won't double but you could plug your toaster oven into the standard 110 volt outlet and it would work, unlike any other truck on the market. You can also plug in your welder as it has 220 as well. :geek:

Love it or hate it, there's a couple notes of interest.

1. It's a frameless outer structure. It's not sheet metal but cold rolled steel. Hence being bullet proof. Not a design feature, just an added benefit of the structural steel. *There's no frame or body on frame construction.

2. Rides on airbags. Has three benefits. 1. Adjustable ride height. Lowers on hwy for increased effeciency. Raises for off road. Most clearance of any current similar truck i.e. F150. 2. Adjusts for load and active ride control. 3. On board compressor.

3. 120/220 volt outlets. No genny needed on the job site.

4. 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. Super Car territory and beat a 911 in the ¼ mile. 10 second ¼ mile.

5. 14,000 lb. towing capacity. This is legit.

6. Approach, departure, break over, and clearance are all very respectable for an off road type vehicle.

I'm happy to be first in line to resell to some one else or if it's as good as I think it might be, I'll keep it. I'll have plenty of time to consider it . And for $100 (refundable) you might consider it too. Probably be able to sell it for a profit due to demand. But only time will tell.

1. If you've ever had to repair any part major part of a vehicle with a subframe/monoframe I can tell you that it's a motherfucking goddamned nightmare. A. Fucking. Nightmare.

2. If you've ever had to repair an airbag suspension system I can tell you that it's a motherfucking expensive as shit pain in the ass. A broken airbag suspension system can literally total a $100k Mercedes, and that's why you see their airbag models all over CList for $12k and only 70k-100k miles.

3. That's a good feature, I like it.

4. That's a fucking awesome feature, I like it.

5. Sounds legit, reality is a motherfucker. It's very compelling at least.

6. That's a good feature, I like it.

I'm happy for you, I think it's a cool vehicle. No vehicle is perfect, though. I think it just has too much for me personally, lots of new ideas and old ones, but pretty much all of which I would have to depend on others to fix at great cost without a solid warranty. I like my motorcycles and my track cars, a quick electric truck with physical security measures is practically my wet dream companion for all that. If I had a lot more money I would probably buy one, but I'd be prepared to dump it the second the warranty was out.

1. If you've ever had to repair any part major part of a vehicle with a subframe/monoframe I can tell you that it's a motherfucking goddamned nightmare. A. Fucking. Nightmare.

2. If you've ever had to repair an airbag suspension system I can tell you that it's a motherfucking expensive as shit pain in the ass. A broken airbag suspension system can literally total a $100k Mercedes, and that's why you see their airbag models all over CList for $12k and only 70k-100k miles.

1. Pretty much every other vehicle on the road with the exception of ½ ton and ¾ ton and 1 ton pickup trucks has a unit body. And I'm not 100% sure what kind/type of unit body construction has but it doesn't seem the same as the usual. It seems they use the steel panels for the majority of structure and the goofy shape is integral to the structure as well. It's extremely simple. They cut and fold the steel panels like a paper plane or origami. This simplifies and reduces costs for production. How this will play out in repairs is anyone's guess. But it certainly is a concern to consider.

2. I have very little experience with air suspensions w/ the exception of my Firestone helper bags on my Tacoma. It was stupid simple to set up and maintain. Biggest concern on my end is air leaks in either the lines, connections, or bags themselves. These are in use in many applications on many trucks with very good results and reviews. I can change the ride on my truck by simply adding or removing air depending on load.

I'll take your work on it that as the primary dampening system, it is much more complicated than my airbags and I'm probably over simplifying the Tesla system.

It's a $100 refundable deposit. I don't have too much energy or emotion invested. More a curiosity that may play out it my favor in two to four years. I'm rooting for their success though.

Yea, new vehicles, mostly all of them, have some kind of hybrid frame and body design.

I'm not sure about the Tesla bag system, but usually OEM bag systems are sickeningly expensive and are required as replacement to not breach a warranty contract which frequently will not cover the bag system itself. The purchase cost is low so maybe they went the KISS route and it won't be such a concern compared to the AMG systems I am familiar with. I will say that for performance, bags are kind of more trouble than they are worth for the average person. Most folks want them for looks and not corner balancing utility or weight reduction.

Last edited:
I can’t believe any of you twats would be even half interested in this shitty looking con-man “truck” I am ashamed.

That is literally the stupidest looking “truck” I’ve ever seen. The absolute lack of any styling is proof of the charlatan Musk selling you shit paid for by your own taxes. Do some reading about service, or lack thereof, no body shop will work on them because of the complete lack of parts. If you get in an accident, the fire department has to put it in a roll off and cover it completely with wet sand because it will catch fire again up to three weeks later. Don’t ever try to buy a used one, even worse customer service. The rare earth minerals used are far from earth friendly, plus the extra load on the already over stressed electrical grid is absolutely insane or ignorant. Fuck Tesla.

Wait till Ford makes one at least.

No I’m not jealous. It’s fucking stupid.

9C72A6AC-5FC7-466E-A038-5B27A930AF31.jpeg

I have absolutely no use for an electric vehicle, and I'm a dyed-in-the-wool car enthusiast. I will never ever own one.

The notion of the entire country going to e-cars is untenable and a fantasy.

I am also quite certain that Musk will be found to be a charlatan / con-man. Just wait. It's coming. I don't trust him AT ALL. And, we're financing this billionaire's delusional con job.

Last edited:
I'm fuckin psyched for electric motorcycles, but it's still a pipe dream unless you're willing to be a early adopter. I am not, lol.

Otherwise I like my cars loud as shit and fast as fuck, electric just doesn't give me the same driving experience at all.

not that anyone gives a rat's about their carbon whatever-print, but it sounds like the tesla's eco batteries are just waiting to go china-syndrome under your ass.

Reactions: Bender
what is a truck that cant haul anything a family car sort of looks like a delorian of trucks . but if you like them more power to you . I do wonder how traction motors will run after they are driven through the mud read mud not staged semi dirty water .

what is a truck that cant haul anything a family car sort of looks like a delorian of trucks . but if you like them more power to you . I do wonder how traction motors will run after they are driven through the mud read mud not staged semi dirty water .

What do you mean can’t haul anything? It has a full size 6.5ft bed without wheel wells taking up space. I would bet 90% of the trucks being sold today are shorter bed lengths than that.

Reactions: Jefe's Dope
What do you mean can’t haul anything? It has a full size 6.5ft bed without wheel wells taking up space. I would bet 90% of the trucks being sold today are shorter bed lengths than that.

This is true. And it includes a retractable locking cover and an integrated ramp.

While I fully understand why some don't like it but the hate is kinda funny. It's a completely designed, manufactured, built and owned American truck and you'd think North Korea was trying to break into the American light truck market. It's funny and sad watching heads explode over this with no willingness to actually know what they're talking about. They saw picture and made a judgement. :geek:

Yeah, how DARE people who actually own trucks to do truck stuff disagree with the design vision of Lord Elon and the opinion of his flock...

If you'd bother to research what you're talking about, in regards to the Tesla, maybe it would be constructive. But all I'm hearing is nonsense or some outlier user need.

If you'd bother to research what you're talking about, in regards to the Tesla, maybe it would be constructive.

A comment like this presumes the people who think Cybertruck is a joke haven't "researched what they're talking about", which is frankly an arrogant and naive assumption. The flip side to this is Tesla didn't bother to research how many people who own trucks use trucks, because if they did, they wouldn't have designed such a visual abomination.

For starters:

You can't reach over the bed rails on this thing to put anything in or take anything out of the bed like a common truck.
If Model X tow tests are any indication, the truck is going to have a range 1/3 or less spec when towing even moderate weights.
Tow mirrors? Cameras are nice and all but nobody is going to pull a trailer of any size without mirrors.
You can't Supercharger with a trailer hooked up.
How you gonna hook a gooseneck or fifth wheel to that thing?
Musk is claiming the tri-motor Cybertruck will do 1/4 mile faster than the new C-8...
What's the GVWR? Claiming a payload of 3500lb almost certainly puts this thing into a GVWR exceeding modern half tons, despite its projected tow capacities being competitive with them.

I've yet to see a traditional "truck guy" rave about this thing; the only people big on it from what I have seen are Tesla fanboiis...who don't own or use trucks.

The technology is appealing and continuing to mature, but in this particular design, it falls WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY short. Give me an electrified F150 every day and twice on Sunday over this disaster.

A comment like this presumes the people who think Cybertruck is a joke haven't "researched what they're talking about", which is frankly an arrogant and naive assumption. The flip side to this is Tesla didn't bother to research how many people who own trucks use trucks, because if they did, they wouldn't have designed such a visual abomination.

You clearly haven't as you can't get past the looks enough to ask "why" does it look like it does. I've posted it several times in this thread as to the why but most just keep focusing on the ugly. You make a lot of claims of what it can't do for a truck that hasn't been touched by any one. You don't know if they asked truck users or not. That's your presumption because it doesn't fit your use needs or perceptions of a "real" truck user needs. I disagree completely, you're the one who's making naive and arrogant assumptions. You also seem extremely angry about the whole thing. Why? You don't need tell me why, but maybe ask yourself.

Angry? Nope, not at all. I could care less how anybody spends their hard-earned money.

Being critical of design from both an aesthetic and practical use perspective isn’t anger. As the archtype prospective Tesla buyer (college-educated suburbanite with upper middle class income who already has adopted solar but drives an ICE pickup) I’d think thoughts such as mine - specific design concerns - would be worthy of consideration moreso than owners of small electric or hybrid sedans.

I don’t like the way the Model 3 looks (not terrible, but looks goofy from the front), but I don’t see any glaring issues with its use as a sedan. Cybertruck, OTOH, seems to have quite a few issues for its use as a truck from where I sit as a truck owner

We’ll see if the next 2-3 years cause the design to evolve into something more traditional...

I like Tesla cars, almost bought a model 3 months ago before buying a 2019 f150, because lifestyle stuff. Personally I want a fully electric truck that looks like a regular truck. This cybertruck is a little too out there for me. The Tesla cars look, for the most part, like regular cars. This one just isn't for me.

Personally I want a fully electric truck that looks like a regular truck.

If you pick say the light truck category epitomized by the Ford F150 series, probably the greater majority of what F150s are used for these days is mostly commuting or driving around with very little load, and then on occasion needing to carry or pull something.

What would probably work better than a fully electric truck, is if you had a truck with a fully electric drive train, that could do all the fancy regenerative braking stuff and independent power delivery to each wheel etc. But it had a smaller battery, (might as well make it plug in to make everyone fully happy), with something like a 40 mile battery range without cargo and then have the engine setup as a dedicated electric generation plant. Still also have a decent 20+ gallon fuel tank.
Manual override control over when to go all electric and when to kick on the engine.
Customizable and shareable power route maps so people can experiment with the best mix for a given route and share it.

That would let you use mostly electric power for all the small stuff as well as maximize energy recovery but add the following advantages:

Much less dead weight as you don't need this huge battery
Much lower cost, since you don't need a really expensive huge battery
No range issues, with a full tank & a full charge, possibly up to 500 to 700 miles and then easy fill ups on the road.
If you use it for commuting, you can plug it in each night without needing more than a dryer circuit and you'll almost use no gas
There would not be nearly as much strain on the power grid, which simply CANNOT support large amounts of electric vehicles without huge upgrades that are near impossible due to cost and the ever present "Not in my back yard".

Then at any given time if you want to go "more green" or something comes up with Gasoline, the engine part can be swapped out for an engine that burns LPG / Natural Gas / Veggie oil / Hydrogen or some new fancy battery pack.

Realy fast/rough 3d print , now just how do i break the side windows for added authenticity

image05.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: E. Bryant
We’ll see if the next 2-3 years cause the design to evolve into something more traditional...

You've made it 100% clear you have not been paying attention and it's just an ugly, electric truck to you. The design is NOT going to change. It's integral, as I've stated several times in this thread, to the structural integrity and the ability to produce it at a cost that would attract real buyers.

For starters:

You can't reach over the bed rails on this thing to put anything in or take anything out of the bed like a common truck.
If Model X tow tests are any indication, the truck is going to have a range 1/3 or less spec when towing even moderate weights.
Tow mirrors? Cameras are nice and all but nobody is going to pull a trailer of any size without mirrors.
You can't Supercharger with a trailer hooked up.
How you gonna hook a gooseneck or fifth wheel to that thing?
Musk is claiming the tri-motor Cybertruck will do 1/4 mile faster than the new C-8...
What's the GVWR? Claiming a payload of 3500lb almost certainly puts this thing into a GVWR exceeding modern half tons, despite its projected tow capacities being competitive with them.

I've yet to see a traditional "truck guy" rave about this thing; the only people big on it from what I have seen are Tesla fanboiis...who don't own or use trucks.

The technology is appealing and continuing to mature, but in this particular design, it falls WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY short. Give me an electrified F150 every day and twice on Sunday over this disaster.

Not sure how old of a truck you drive but getting stuff (stuff that actually necessitates the need for a truck) out of the bed by just reaching over is a thing of the past on modern full size 4wd trucks unless you are 7ft tall. I’m dead on 6ft and the bed on my at4 is even with my underarm, already have to stand on the running board, tire, or bumper to get something of a decent weight out. Admittedly that is a 2” or so factory lift on that truck but my ‘15 Denali wasn’t much better.

I could reprogram the motor controller on my electric golf cart to do wheelies if I didn’t care about tearing stuff up or melting wires. As long as everything is designed around that kind of power, don’t see any reason they couldn’t get the truck to that time. Of course you can kiss that range number goodbye if running like that.

All of your other points are about towing. They aren’t targeting the long distance towing crowd with this truck. Diesels with plumbed in reserve tanks own that segment. You really see enough half tons running around with goosenecks and tow mirrors to think Tesla missed a statistically significant portion of the light duty non-work truck market? Looking around my neighborhood I’d say no.

I’ve driven trucks all my life except for a couple of jeeps in high school. Never had a desire to own a Tesla or keep up with Elon Musk and anything he is doing. I’m on the preorder list for this truck. The furthest I really tow anything is 85mi. I have 220 at the house and work. I like fast things and grew up drooling over the old Lambo SUVs for sale in the DuPont Registry mags which this reminds me of. It has camper shell functionality (that is out of the way when you don’t need it) without looking like an old man truck. I just like it and I’ll haul and tow the stuff I normally do with it. If I need to drive straight across the country I guess I’ll take the wife’s ride.

I own a 2017 Silverado 1500, and load/unload over the bed rails all the time. I also tow a 7600 GVWR travel trailer, utility trailer with UTV and zero turn, and a car hauler with tractor on a regular basis.

Perhaps I’m not a “typical modern truck owner”...

I own a 2017 Silverado 1500, and load/unload over the bed rails all the time. I also tow a 7600 GVWR travel trailer, utility trailer with UTV and zero turn, and a car hauler with tractor on a regular basis.

Perhaps I’m not a “typical modern truck owner”...

From a purely statistical perspective I agree!

I have a 2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins that I'm getting 750 hp out of. 4:11 gears and I get 25 mpg at 70 mph. I can get 35 mpg if I do not exceed 40 mph. I hauled my 2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon (not stock either) on a trailer about 1000 miles almost like it wasn't back there. I had to slow down a little on some long uphill grades to make sure I didn't get the pyrometer up there too much but I could have accelerated instead if I had the heat management down better. Both are beasts with particular applications. This Tesla will have it's applications to shine on. I'm pushing 60 years old, doubt I'll end up with one.