• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

American Ammunition Company 77gr SMK HPBT

AAC Saber ammunition . . .
IMG_20230828_074456_jpg-2934913.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/AAC-55-gr-Saber-ammo-Case-Failure-/16-782183/

If you go to the ar15 link you will see PSA posting. Josiah is his name and if anyone has ANY problems with anything PSA message him. He will take care of it. He is one of their main people and handles everything on forums. Don't call PSA itself. You will run into delays and problems. But Josiah will have it sorted out the same day.

Should be able to make it to the range tomorrow…

View attachment 8110279

View attachment 8110280
A friend and I went and tested several of the lower priced ammo flavors. AAC 77gr. SMK and 77gr. OTM were two of them we tried. We shot a 5 round group at 100 and 400 using an 18” and a 14.5”.

18” WOA SPR barrel
1:7 twist
18” 77 SMK 2767 FPS ES 37
100 yards: 1.00”
400 yards: 5”

18” 77 “Precision” OTM 2761 FPS ES 108
100 yards: 1.19”
400 yards: 3.5”

I will say this seems to be dirtier than other stuff. I shot some of it then followed up with some M193, all suppressed. The AAC brass i picked up was filthy while the Lake City brass was dirty but still brass colored. Will add that pic below as well.

I added the whole list of what we shot. The Precision OTM did surprisingly well for $11/box.

IMG_2119.jpeg
IMG_2120.png

71840715531__D10FBEC8-EE7F-4D6C-ABD1-384B46ED0AC9.jpeg

Last edited:
Is this the same company out of FLA. that sold ammo labeled A-MERC about 10-15 years ago?
Palmetto State Armory bought AAC from Remington when they broke up due to the bankruptcy several years ago. Realistically they bought the name. They now produce ammo in South Carolina. They form their own brass and extrude their own lead for projectiles in their other ammo.

A friend and I went and tested several of the lower priced ammo flavors. AAC 77gr. SMK and 77gr. OTM were two of them we tried. We shot a 5 round group at 100 and 400 using an 18” and a 14.5”.

18” WOA SPR barrel
1:7 twist
18” 77 SMK 2767 FPS ES 37
100 yards: 1.00”
400 yards: 5”

18” 77 “Precision” OTM 2761 FPS ES 108
100 yards: 1.19”
400 yards: 3.5”

I will say this seems to be dirtier than other stuff. I shot some of it then followed up with some M193, all suppressed. The AAC brass i picked up was filthy while the Lake City brass was dirty but still brass colored. Will add that pic below as well.

I added the whole list of what we shot. The Precision OTM did surprisingly well for $11/box.

View attachment 8246130View attachment 8246131
View attachment 8246136
Thank you for sharing all this great info.
Super interesting results 100yds vs 400yds.
And not doubting your results in the slightest, but any idea / speculation as to how the groups "improved" ( MOA wise ? ) at 400yds vs. 100yds for some of the various rounds fired ?
Or am I misunderstanding something ?

And wow... that is some filthy AAC brass. I still would like to know what powder AAC uses.

Is this the same company out of FLA. that sold ammo labeled A-MERC about 10-15 years ago?
No. Thankfully A-Merc is dead.
PSA / AAC ammo does produce its own brass ( multiple calibers ) some loads use AAC produced projectiles ( again multiple calibers ), and AAC is close to producing their own primers.
FWIW, AAC used to produce suppressors as well, and PSA ( JJE Brands LLC ) now produces that suppressor line.
JJE Brands is a big 'ol company.
https://jjech.com/portfolio-companies/

I'd be willing to bet there are other companies not yet listed.

Reactions: Lange Carabine
Probably a different AAC.
This is America's Ammunition Company.
The suppressors were made by Advanced Armament Company. And still are. AAC still has an active web site.

Reactions: BurtG
Thank you for sharing all this great info.
Super interesting results 100yds vs 400yds.
And not doubting your results in the slightest, but any idea / speculation as to how the groups "improved" ( MOA wise ? ) at 400yds vs. 100yds for some of the various rounds fired ?
Or am I misunderstanding something ?

And wow... that is some filthy AAC brass. I still would like to know what powder AAC uses.
Do you know what the actual BC is of the 77 gr OTM BT's? Thanks!

I have shot a few hundred of the 77SMK 5.56 from AAC and had students shoot a few thousands when I was teaching

Pros
Accuracy has been very good
SD has been very good

Cons
Dirty as shit

I had mixed results shooting AAC. SMK's did the best accuracy for me out of my BA 18" SPR barrel. TMK's were a very close 2nd. I chronographed the SMK's on a 2nd trip and got an average of 2630 fps, which surprised me a little bit considering that I typically get 2750 from Hornady Frontier 75gr's and similar speeds from IMI Razor Core. ES and SD were also not great of the AAC SMK's, the Hornady and IMI are tighter.

I also shot the AAC "Black Tip" 75's, and the AAC 77gr OTM. My spread on those @100yds was the worst out of 6 different loads I tried. The black tips particularly had quite a few fliers. But ymmv depending on what your barrel likes. I too noticed dings in cases across the different AAC loads I ordered. I didn't check OAL on any of them. I did notice that the AAC stuff shoots dirtier than usual though. I did not notice any blown primers.

I think the AAC SMK loads are good for the price, certainly accurate enough for range use or otherwise in a pinch compared to BH or IMI, etc. But I'd need to do more testing on the other loads again to make up my mind on them.

Not bad did you chrono any?

i bought the 77gr OTM and had very good accuracy and POI compared to razor core in an LWRC piston.

here was velocity string from a 16” chromelined fn barrel:

lost the data from the LW but have gone through about 200 rounds in both barrel so far with no problems.

Reactions: Jsp556