• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Ancilary equipment: LRF vs. Kestrel either or

cshank

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 29, 2010
Utah
If you were in the situation of an "either - or" proposition for this shooting season (LRF vs. Wind Meter). Which would you purchase and why? Which comes out of your gear bag more often / do you use more?

These two items are on my shortlist after having upgraded my optic to a NF F1 3-15 MLR 2.0 / Mrad.

Kestrel 4500 NV

Or:

Bushnell - Fusion ™ 1600 ARC 10 x42 mm

Re: Ancilary equipment: LRF vs. Kestrel either or

Get the LRF and a less expensive wind meter. You can find basic wind meters for under $50. The Kestrel 4500 are nice but unless you have a use for all the features you can get wind and temp from much less expensive units.

What is the typical scenario when you're shooting? Do you use DA or several inputs to calculate your drops? I ask because I had to make this decision a while back, and when I looked at the scenarios I was shooting in, it made more sense for me to get the Atmospheric Data Center first. Background on that, I use DA for all my drop charts, so I couldn't get a cheaper version to do what I wanted. On top of that, all the matches I went to, there was always a gaggle of dudes ranging the targets at the beginning of each stage. I just asked somebody for the ranges, or listened in, and I had what I needed.

Look at it this way: what is harder for you to estimate?
Wind speed ,direction, cross wind or distance to a known size target?

I have never used a wind meter in my life. Nor do I see a point will I ever will. What the wind is doing where you are could be 180 degree's from what it's doing half way to your target. Especially at 1000 yards.

I use a range finder every time I shoot. The Fusion's to be exact.

You can learn to read the wind with mirage, flags, tree's, grass, etc. Density altitude is not hard to figure out either. Especially with today's smart phone's and the internet. You could probably even guess within 1000 feet after some practice.

Get the Fusion's with out a doubt.

Range finder for the most part is 10x more important than a weather station unless you're a high speed low drag milling master... or are shooting at KD targets only of course.

Do you have a shooting partner you shoot with? If so, try to make sure that you have both items covered between the two of you.

At most matches there will be people with both willing to share info.

I would get the lrf. I personally find the windmeter useless since it tells you the wind speed where you are not 500 yds or 1000 yds away. On hot days mirage is my friend as are plants and bushes.

I was in the same situation as you. I got the Leica 1600 and get air pressure, angle and air temp in addition.

Number 1 on the Leica 1600. Still getting used to using it. Wish it was a little larger. Very handy.

Another vote for the LRFs first. I have the Bushnells your looking at and for the money I don't think anyone can beat them.

I'm gonna get the bushnell LRF that you mentioned for my bday from someone... who? I'm not sure, but it's 2 weeks away! LOL

Thanks SH members for all the input!

To answer a few questions: my primary 90% shooting discipline is LR practical tactical / precision rifle.

I'm not particularly fast at milling out my targets.

I'm certainly leaning on purchasing the Bushnell - Fusion ™ 1600 ARC 10 x42 mm.

If money is a concern and you're mostly shooting in matches, I've found the other competitors are always helpful if you need range, air temp, altitude etc. YMMV (I just learned what that means lol)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SSSamurai</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What is the typical scenario when you're shooting? Do you use DA or several inputs to calculate your drops? I ask because I had to make this decision a while back, and when I looked at the scenarios I was shooting in, it made more sense for me to get the Atmospheric Data Center first. Background on that, I use DA for all my drop charts, so I couldn't get a cheaper version to do what I wanted. On top of that, all the matches I went to, there was always a gaggle of dudes ranging the targets at the beginning of each stage. I just asked somebody for the ranges, or listened in, and I had what I needed. </div></div>

+1 or the Leica 1600 solution :-D

For the money you can't beat Bushnell Fusion 1600 ARC. And it's extremely difficult to shoot UKD without an LRF (unless you're pretty good at milling, <span style="text-decoration: underline">and</span> know <span style="text-decoration: underline">exactly</span> the size of your targets). But I'd really hate to be without my Kestrel...

I got a Leica 1600 LRF first, then the Kestrel if that means anything, and I'm not as "learned" as many folks here.

Sadly I'm going to take a slight beating selling the stuff.