• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Annealing

Hill Top

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2022
Australia
I have bought an AGS annealer

What gas is best to use annealing, I can get heaps of the yellow Mapp gas cans from work

1656391019228.png

MAPP and Map/Pro burn hotter than Propane.
Both will work, but I would add that when flame annealing you want to be very consistent and when things happen too fast the speed can make this more difficult. Giving yourself a little longer, means that any small error in time has a smaller affect on the results. YMMV

Reactions: straightshooter1
Both will work, but I would add that when flame annealing you want to be very consistent and when things happen too fast the speed can make this more difficult. Giving yourself a little longer, means that any small error in time has a smaller affect on the results. YMMV

This is something that many people miss. Too many times people look for speed, but with that comes a loss of consistency. Except for timing, it is better to move the flame nozzles back and go for longer.

Reactions: RegionRat
This is something that many people miss. Too many times people look for speed, but with that comes a loss of consistency. Except for timing, it is better to move the flame nozzles back and go for longer.
I will get some blue cans, I gave the MAPP gas that I have plenty of a try on old scrap brass attempting to find the correct timing, 4 to 5 seconds in the flame was not enough had zero glow and 700deg templaque had not reacted, 6 to 7 seconds resulted in a cherry red and was over done, I may have had the flame to close but I thought was good positioning

I understand the lower temp blue cans will give more time to get it right, I just wanted to try what I had freely available first

Thanks for the responses,

Reactions: RegionRat