• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Another alternative to Krylon

onesureshot

Private
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2007
Utah
I noticed in the other thread about alternatives to Krylon that a few people commented on wanting a broader range of colors.

I have used Testors Model Master paints with pretty good success. While they are a model paint, letting them dry well, then applying several light coats of a good matte clear helps them hold up well.

I have used the spray cans and the brush on bottles. Spraying either right on the project, using stencils, or with the bottled stuff I have used an airbrush, sponge of regular brushes to apply a grass look.

I have also used these in conjunction with Krylon and AlumaHyde and had no issues.

The key when using different brands / types of paint is to let them dry overnight before applying the next brand, and just "dusting" it on in very light coats so as to minimize the solvent in the paint from causing the previously applied paint to lift. Hold the can a ways back and move it over the area quickly, so just a small amount of clear is applied. Let it stand for a few minutes and give it another coat, repeat, allowing time between dustings to let the clear dry.

I get the Model Master stuff at a local hobby shop. Here is a link the the web site showing the different colors.

http://www.testors.com/category/135232/Model_Master

Here are a few rifles that have been done with Krylon and Model Master paints:

Savage 10FP .308 in a "MultiCam-ish" pattern:
KSavage10FP308.jpg

Savage 12FV .223 in a "Left over colors" pattern, lol:
JSavage12FV223.jpg

Savage 10FP .223 ( coyote rig #1 ) in a broad based with small sponged / brushed pattern to give it grass / sage brush looking highlights:
ISavage10FP223.jpg

Doublestar AR .223 ( coyote rig #2 ) in a desert sage brush pattern:
HDoublestarAR-15.jpg

Re: Another alternative to Krylon

Yea, like that top one also. How'd you get the multi effect, stencil, freehand or what?

I have done a lot of plastic scale model building, and have accumulated a somewhat serious collection of Model Master paints, both spray and bottles. I have a quality Badger double action Air Brush, and oil-less compressor.

I decided thereafter to do my own color mixing and matching employing black, white, and primary colors, then sealing with gloss or flat clearcoats.

Since then, I've shelved the plastic kit building in favor of the stick and paper rubber powered free flight scale models, but I'm sure I could fire up the plastics operation again at any time.

These days, I don't have much use for camo on my firearms. Camo tape works as a temp measure for my hunters.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: recon-25</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Yea, like that top one also. How'd you get the multi effect, stencil, freehand or what? </div></div>

Both. I cut some various sized stencils, but started with a three color broad spray base. Once the base was done, I just using the stencils over and over, turning them different ways, overlapping some with the same color after the first spraying had dried to change the shapes up a bit. You should be able to see some of this if you look at the pattern closely.

Thanks for the praise. I got the idea from my plastic modeling past too.

1.jpg

2.jpg

4.jpg