• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Another zeroing question

Rhoades

Private
Minuteman
Aug 16, 2010
MN
I am in a bit of a bind. I had to remount a scope using new rings. Now a buddy is wanting to go hunting. I won't have access to an outdoor range before we go. I will be able to get to a 50 yard indoor range.

My questions is this. If I work up a dope chart and see where my POA vs POI shoud be at 50 yards for a 100 yard zero would I be able to replicate a 100 yard zero using a 50 yard range?

I dont need surgical accuracy just "minute of coyote" out to 250.

Let me know if that doesnt make sense and I will reword it.

Thanks in advance!

Rhoades

Re: Another zeroing question

Why not stop somewhere a few miles from where you plan to hunt, and zero it at a hundred the day of?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawnMM</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Why not stop somewhere a few miles from where you plan to hunt, and zero it at a hundred the day of? </div></div>

Can't do that...too logical.

It'll work, sort of, but won't be real accurate.

The problem is that with most loads, if you zero at 100, the POI at 50 yards is almost the same. But since you are only half the distance at 50 yards, any error is going to be magnified by 2X what it would be at 100.

It's better than nothing. As noted, a longer zero range would be mo better.

I would just do it out in the field but the yotes round here are VERY skittish. One shot and they are LONG GONE!

I think I will try to find a spot tomorrow to get to 100.

Why not do your dope off a 50 yard zero? 50 yard zero is pretty close to a 200 yard zero for most cartridges and will be pretty flat out to 300.