• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Any advantages to running a 34or35mm scope?

Danny25

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2011
Houston, Tx
I'm looking to replace my current scope on my DTA this summer and I'm seeing a lot of 34mm and 35mm tube scopes out there. Is there an advantage of running a bigger diameter scope?

34 is the standard for high end long range scopes. There is more internal travel available.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Tapatalk

Larger diameter scopes tend to have more available elevation/windage as there's a bit more room for the erector cell to move around.

According to S&B, the larger tube diameter allows for higher resolution and image quality.... being it's S&B, I believe them.

Dont forget about rings. When I was looking for 35mm the choices were slim and VERY EXPENSIVE. Ended up with 34mm, expensive, but lots of choices.

If the only advantage of a 34mm is additional internal adjustment compared to a 30mm and most long range 30mm scopes are running 70+ moa of adjustment: I would conclude the only time there would be a significant advantage would be at extreme long range.

Dont forget about rings. When I was looking for 35mm the choices were slim and VERY EXPENSIVE. Ended up with 34mm, expensive, but lots of choices.

Seekins Precision makes 35mm rings and make the rings for Vortex for their Precision Matched rings. Others do as well. Not a lot of choices when compared to 30mm or 34mm but I don't need anymore options and neither is "very expensive". Street price on the Vortex rings is $119 and the Seekins run around $135.

Scope Rings - 35mm Tube

Vortex Tactical - Precision Matched Rings-35mm Medium

34mm is what more companies are leaning to, Vortex with the new Razor II line/NF BEAST/Leupold etc, but there are good scopes out there with 35mm, like the original Vortex Razor, that shouldn't be dismissed due to the 35mm ring size as I have shown excellent options are out there. Advantages to the larger tube are as stated more adjustments.

Seekins Precision makes 35mm rings and make the rings for Vortex for their Precision Matched rings. Others do as well. Not a lot of choices when compared to 30mm or 34mm but I don't need anymore options and neither is "very expensive". Street price on the Vortex rings is $119 and the Seekins run around $135.

Scope Rings - 35mm Tube

Vortex Tactical - Precision Matched Rings-35mm Medium

34mm is what more companies are leaning to, Vortex with the new Razor II line/NF BEAST/Leupold etc, but there are good scopes out there with 35mm, like the original Vortex Razor, that shouldn't be dismissed due to the 35mm ring size as I have shown excellent options are out there. Advantages to the larger tube are as stated more adjustments.

I'll have to keep all this in mind as I narrow my search.

OP never said for what platform. My experience was trying to find rings for my AR. Check the options for 35mm tube 56mm scopes on a flat top AR.

OP never said for what platform. My experience was trying to find rings for my AR. Check the options for 35mm tube 56mm scopes on a flat top AR.

1" high 35mm rings on a Badger 22 MOA riser works just fine. 50mm obj here but room for 56mm. If you wanted more room the Seekins 1.26" height 35mm will work. Some platforms are harder to configure for but all can be done.

Same for 34mm here with a 56mm obj.

Who makes your 22moa riser? I don't think I ran across this one in my search before, would be good info for the future.

That's a Badger Ordnance 22 MOA riser. Works very well. I put a little blue loctite on the threads and torque it down properly and it has never loosened up. Just like a base onto a bolt gun.

I have seen zero difference of image clarity or brightness with the tube diameter being the only difference. The Obj lens size, the lens coatings, quality of glass, number of lenses have a MUCH bigger impact on the brightness and clarity of the image than the tube diameter. The biggest difference between 1" vs 30mm vs 34mm is the amount of internal adjustment. This is what I will go off of until someone shows me a scientific study showing the comparison where the ONLY difference is the tube size and there is a measurable difference in brightness or clarity. As others have said the mounting options for a 35mm are more limited than a 34mm.