• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Any reason you never see builds on Winchester Actions?

born2kill

Private
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2014
The mauser style clay extraction, the 3 position safety, super smooth bolts, figured it would make a nice action to do a build on?

It is; do it. The factory barrels are plenty accurate. I bed the action, and diamond-lap all the barrels. Rarely have one that won't shoot under 0.6" for 5 shots at 100 yds. Some are much better than that. If you want to change triggers, get a Jewell, either target or hunting, depending on the application. Other triggers like Timney and Shilen, if available for these rifles, are also good. Get a wood stock, or one of the models that's in a Bell & Carlson stock.
Also consider Rifle Basix triggers from Northland Shooters Supply/Jim Briggs.
Jim

Last edited:
Im a big fan of the M70, have a couple im going to use as bases for future builds. IIRC the action material is a bit harder than the 700, making it more of a pain to work with. I remember there werent nearly as many smiths who would do bolt handle mods on them or SPRs because of it.

aren't all the FN SPR's actions based of the winchesters. They make great shooters indeed.

aren't all the FN SPR's actions based of the winchesters. They make great shooters indeed.

The FN SPR action is not based on the Winchester Model 70. It IS a Winchester Model 70 with different rollmarks.

I used to have an NRA HP match rifle built on a pre 64 M70 action and it was a freaking laser.

I have a pre-war 70 in '06 inherited from my dad, that is close to being a lazer, wood stock and all. Just needs a little tweaking on my part. Better trigger will help, either rework the trigger or install a Timney.

Winchester model 70 triggers are easy to adjust and the rifles shoot, all mine are family guns I don't want to modify.

Looks like I found my kind of thread. Anyone have a winchester 70 with a boss? I was out shooting mine this weekend and would like to compare notes

I have a Kimber 84L Montana that is based on the M70. .3moa at 100y. It is interesting that most actions you see on custom and high end factory rifles are push feed style actions. I don't see anything wrong with push feed or controlled round feed.

I love the Winchester/ fn actions. they're superior in every way. Claw extraction, integral lug, 8-40 rail screw, 3 position safety and all...

that being said I have a FN magnum bolt face action for sale if anyone needs one

They are beautiful foundations. I like mine enough to have held onto it more than 10 years. Great shooter and stock trigger is great after it was tuned. It a push feed heavy varmint in 308. Had a xtc 308 built on one as well.

I love the Winchester/ fn actions. they're superior in every way. Claw extraction, integral lug, 8-40 rail screw, 3 position safety and all...[/B]

What he said, a vastly superior action that simply can't be made as cheap as a remmy and as such Joe six pack just wants something cheap.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great actions and I've owned quite a few and a couple of pre-64 super grades as well. My 51 vintage 06 will shoot ragged little holes with core locks or silvertips. The old model 70 actions are slick as greased owl shit.

The FN SPR action is not based on the Winchester Model 70. It IS a Winchester Model 70 with different rollmarks.

I used to have an NRA HP match rifle built on a pre 64 M70 action and it was a freaking laser.

The FN SPR actions also have the scope base holes at 8-40 and is why they came with the pic rails when you bought the action. The actions used on the standard rifles Winchester sells do not.

The FN SPR actions also have the scope base holes at 8-40 and is why they came with the pic rails when you bought the action. The actions used on the standard rifles Winchester sells do not.
The difference in screw hole sizes is irrelevant and does not change the fact that the actions are exactly the same in every way that matters.

We specialize building on the M70. Just wrapped up a very rare one in fact. Near as I can tell it's a 1941. Clover leaf tang but no bolt release, front guard screws is through the recoil lug (meh?)

Made me curious enough to call the Win historian. He had no idea.

I think it's a target action. Pretty neat piece.

best actions ever imo. My 1936 is my most cherished piece.

Here's a late model L/A that we did for last year's SHC. Awarded as the top prize to the match winner. Features our new clip slotted base too.

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

Last edited:
I love my FN! The action is super smooth and I can run it faster than both my Surgeon and Defiance builds. I have threaded the muzzle and run it with a brake/suppressor and had the bold handle replaced by PCR since these pics but you can get the idea.

my Win. 300wm has to be the smoothest cycling Bolt & action I ever had . it damn near Rivals a Sako in Smooth bolt movement & Round pick-up .
What a few others have said also. The factory trigger group is an easy adjust and polishing work for crisp snap.

love mine. i bought the action years ago when CDNN was selling the stripped down actions. The great thing about them is that they need very little truing, if any, unlike the 700s. Mine has been a tack driver and the factory trigger can be taken down to a very nice and crisp pull and break. I finished mine off with a CDI bottom metal, Mcmillan A3 stock, and Douglas Air-Gauged barrel in 308. Loves to be shot with a TBAC on it. Love that gun!

Yep Win70 type work very well, here is a couple from Dave Lauck DL Sports.
First one is a PDC Custom Chassis with .308 Montana Rifle Company Model 1999 Action, still Win 70 based with some small changes.
Second one is same chassis but with LA Win70 .300WM.
2jewms8.jpg

23ww9bp.jpg

Next build with Dave already in the works using ARC M5 action, should be getting DLC Coating very soon.

+1 on the FN SPR actions.

The controlled round feeding is sweet. Not that I have needed to but it but it will feed upside down and sideways exactly the same.
Ejection is positive and you do not need to chamber the round to cam the extractor over the cartridge rim so its smooth chambering / bolt throw.

[video=youtube;jxHh-qnI30A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jxHh-qnI30A[/video]

Here is. Question, does anyone know if manners makes a mini chassis for the model 70 action?

We specialize building on the M70. Just wrapped up a very rare one in fact. Near as I can tell it's a 1941. Clover leaf tang but no bolt release, front guard screws is through the recoil lug (meh?)

Made me curious enough to call the Win historian. He had no idea.

I think it's a target action. Pretty neat piece.

best actions ever imo. My 1936 is my most cherished piece.

Here's a late model L/A that we did for last year's SHC. Awarded as the top prize to the match winner. Features our new clip slotted base too.

DSC_0044.jpg

DSC_0047.jpg

DSC_0052.jpg

That things is absolutely gorgeous! Thanks everyone that posted! please keep the photo's coming. I have a winchester 70 270. win that is a beautiful hunting rifle and a gentleman i know has built 3 off the winchester action and i realized you never really see that and was wondering how many others choose to do it as well!

SPR has treated me very well. My A5M is a great rifle. Shoots 3/8 with FGMM 175's at 100 yds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Longrifles, Inc, Chad, I just sent you a pm as your mailbox is full on your site, just a heads up to make sure you get it,

thanks,

Yep Win70 type work very well, here is a couple from Dave Lauck DL Sports.
First one is a PDC Custom Chassis with .308 Montana Rifle Company Model 1999 Action, still Win 70 based with some small changes.
Second one is same chassis but with LA Win70 .300WM.
2jewms8.jpg

23ww9bp.jpg

Next build with Dave already in the works using ARC M5 action, should be getting DLC Coating very soon.

Thanks for posting this, I have been wondering if anyone made a chassis compatible with a win70 action. Drop in fit or do you have to send them the action for fitting?

Thanks for posting this, I have been wondering if anyone made a chassis compatible with a win70 action. Drop in fit or do you have to send them the action for fitting?

Site says action requires modification to run AICS mags, best to call PDC Custom 269-468-4673 or email [email protected]. Whatever the case is I can tell you it's worth it.

What he said, a vastly superior action that simply can't be made as cheap as a remmy and as such Joe six pack just wants something cheap.

I would say it has to do more with the aftermarket support for the 700 over a Winny action.

Military went with a 700, so the market went with developing things to support that. Take drop bottom metal for example, if CDI didn't step to the plate, there wouldn't really be a tactical option that I'm aware of.

That goes with stocks and chassis also. They were created for the 700 demand first, thus driving more people to go with a 700 over the winchester because more options were available.

Q: Why are there not so many builds on Winchester/FN M70 actions?

A: Because there aren't enough of to go around as it is...... Best readily available action there is.

FN or someone should make a closed top, small ejection port model. Would make an already stiff action even better.

I think for me it's a price-point issue first, then an availability issue.

A new Win70 with control round feed is like $650 minimum (realistically over $700 after tax etc.) that I've seen. Add a blueprinting/truing cost to that and I'm not much better off than if I just bought a new production custom action. I've not yet been able to locate a used/abused M70 that's at a reasonable price locally, either.

Pre 64? You've got to have a hard-on for Pre 64 winchester if you can justify spending the prices people want, or get lucky-- IF your intention is to immediately scrap 90% of said rifle for the action for a build.

Then the after-thought is after-market availability. Not a huge concern, but the market isn't as big as say a M700. You can get what you need, just with fewer options.

You can find FN SPR actions from time to time for around $650 and they don't need any work done to them as far as truing. That's quite a bit cheaper than buying a custom action.

This is the dilemma I am facing. But I am going to go with it anyway. Atleast at this point. Or I'll just save up a bit, ok a lot more and go with an accuracy international. I just can't seem to get excited about a remington clone. Mcmillian used to make a sweet control round feed action but I can't find it on their website anywhere. The other option I was considering is buy a winchester Laredo and they eventually upgrade the barrel and stock.
Although looking at GAP price for truing and blue printing an action if they are installing the barrel seems very reasonable...$100 bucks.
Gotta love first world problems.
One question though, is a getting a bedding job worth it or can one get the same results with a bolt and go system like the pdc chassis that is pictured above?

Is there a significant difference , mechanically, between the CRF and the CRPF actions? As far as I can tell the latter has all the benefits of the former without the needing the giant claw. Or is there a depredation in extraction with the CRPF action

Q: Why are there not so many builds on Winchester/FN M70 actions?

A: Because there aren't enough of to go around as it is...... Best readily available action there is.

FN or someone should make a closed top, small ejection port model. Would make an already stiff action even better.

I like the way you think

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any reason you never see builds on Winchester Actions?

This is the dilemma I am facing. But I am going to go with it anyway. Atleast at this point. Or I'll just save up a bit, ok a lot more and go with an accuracy international. I just can't seem to get excited about a remington clone. Mcmillian used to make a sweet control round feed action but I can't find it on their website anywhere. The other option I was considering is buy a winchester Laredo and they eventually upgrade the barrel and stock.
Although looking at GAP price for truing and blue printing an action if they are installing the barrel seems very reasonable...$100 bucks.
Gotta love first world problems.
One question though, is a getting a bedding job worth it or can one get the same results with a bolt and go system like the pdc chassis that is pictured above?

This is the same boat I'm in. I'm about to send my FN SPR A1a to Mark @ SAC for their bedding job, barrel threading, fitting a brake, bolt knob and then refinish the whole setup. Well.. I started looking at other options and I'm just not excited about a 700 clone. The AI pre-2014 AIAX really caught my eye as well as the TRG... I've spent all day pouring over all I can find on the AI rifles and I'm just not sure. I found a great deal on a TRG as well..

I love love love the FN.. Thinking I should go forward with the plan to send it to SAC. Rifle in question:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1410150620.725625.jpg

I'm another one that thinks the Model 70 action is vastly superior to the popular push feed actions like Remington and Savage.

It is robust as hell and I also like that you can't really short-stroke the action as long as it spits out a case you are gtg.

A quick question to postulate; has anyone ever considered putting a side bolt release on a winchester 70? The rocker design doesn't seem to be as sturdy to me.