• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Any Savage MSR 10 Long Range reviews yet?

Fenix Mike

Minuteman
Aug 19, 2012
Tulsa, OK
While I dislike Savage as a company with something fierce, the rifle seems pretty awesome, and I just saw they were added on Experticity for LE/Mil pricing so it looks like it might be a ringer for a cheap accurate rifle. Side charging non recip and standard top charging, looks like a similar rail to the DDM5, 5R rifled barrel and in 308 or 6.5 CM. I see the notch in the front rail and I was hoping it was for some sort of adjustable gas valve, but cant find any information or close up pictures.
Has anyone shot one of these? Most of the reviews are hype and "easy half MOA with federal ammo", but nothing with groups, reliability etc.

https://www.savagearms.com/firearms/...msr10longrange

Edit - looks like it is an adjustable gas block!
http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2017/01/jeremy-s/savage-arms-msr-details-emerge/

Last edited:
I'm interested in the Hunter. I'll likely buy one from Experticity. You can't build one for anywhere near that. Just not sure about an 18" 6.5 creedmoor.

I'm interested in the Hunter. I'll likely buy one from Experticity. You can't build one for anywhere near that. Just not sure about an 18" 6.5 creedmoor.

Ive got the order form filled out for a Long Range in 6.5 CM and a Recon in 5.56... going to call Monday and find out the barrel thickness. The reviews all say "Heavy Barrel", but I'm looking for something at least .850. Worst case, I guess all the other parts are solid and I can do a barrel swap. Reading more, in addition to head spacing the Bolt, they are serialized to the gun! Should either be a nice cheater rifle, or at least on part with other rifles such as the DDM5V1.

Have any of the MSR long range even hit the distributors yet?? I haven't found any in stock....
No idea. I saw some reviews with people holding them, then the stuff at SHOT, but haven't really looked too hard on the retail sites yet.

Got my response today from Savage... So sad :(

Debra Roberts (Savage Arms, Inc)
Mar 6, 3:46 PM EST

Hi Mike,
At this time the firearm is not in production and the specifications are not available. Once the firearm is in production we will have more information available
thank you,
Debbi

Has anyone had their hands on one of these yet? I've had mine on order since March. After having a lot of time to think about and research potential issues I have a few.
#1. With the upper, lower and bcg being proprietary will replacement bolts be available or for that matter uppers and lowers.
#2. I have had a Dracos Barrel sitting on the shelf ready to be used with this. The issue I see is the ID of the hand guard is 1.485" The dracos barrel is 1.2" itself and 1.6" with the integrated gas block. Hopefully there is room for the gas tube under the upper picatanny rail on the handguard.
#3. Having propriety parts I'm wondering if I'd be better off trying a different route ie (Aero Precision, Mega etc...) who have extra parts readily available.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Has anyone had their hands on one of these yet? I've had mine on order since March. After having a lot of time to think about and research potential issues I have a few.
#1. With the upper, lower and bcg being proprietary will replacement bolts be available or for that matter uppers and lowers.
#2. I have had a Dracos Barrel sitting on the shelf ready to be used with this. The issue I see is the ID of the hand guard is 1.485" The dracos barrel is 1.2" itself and 1.6" with the integrated gas block. Hopefully there is room for the gas tube under the upper picatanny rail on the handguard.
#3. Having propriety parts I'm wondering if I'd be better off trying a different route ie (Aero Precision, Mega etc...) who have extra parts readily available.

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated. Thanks

Why would you buy a factory rifle to use for a build???

Not building just wondering about parts availability if things break on a factory rifle with proprietary parts. I realize it's a case by case situation but didn't know how Savage has been in the past for parts availability. At some point the barrel will be shot and I have a Dracos barrel I want to use on this rifle if nothing else. I have seen on a couple reviews of the hunter model ,accuracy was not great and the barrel was considered suspect.
The main reason I'm interested in the Savage Long Range is the side charger as well as standard charging handle. I could buy a JP side charging system for the price of the whole rifle I'm getting. Savage is good enough for me. Im just wondering if anyone has handled one and if they have any opinions of it.
Thanks

Well I just paid for one of these site unseen. Should pick it up before the end of next week? Anyway I'll try to let those interested know the results. Done all the research that was available to me. 308 lr

Well today mine came in. Got a notification from ups. Just waiting for a call from ffl to come and pick it up!
I will post more later.

I picked up the rifle Wednesday. Unboxed it and so far I really like it. I have gone over it pretty well and it looks like Savage put a lot of thought and engineering into this rifle. Taken a lot of pictures and loaded up some ammo. The barrel is .930 and fluted behind the gas block and .740 in front to the break.
The gas block is at rifle length+ 1-1/2.
bcg is really short, and light. Ejection port is quite a bit bigger than my other ar10. Like 3.54". The side charging is really pretty nice and me being a southpaw, it's almost like having a lefthanded bolt.
There are a lot of things that I haven't mentioned but right now I just want to get it out and send some rounds down range!

I was able to take it out Saturday and run some rounds through it. Things didn't go so well ( mostly me) and after dumping about 45 rounds through it I called it a day.
My girlfriend was shooting my other ar10 and she was just hammering with some old loads I had from a couple years back!
So today I started all over and the MSR shot pretty good. 175 mk shot the best @ .675" running 2590.
Shot 36 rounds today and it ran very smooth. Also ran 168 mk and smallest group with throes was .850 @ 2616 fps. I think it will be a shooter.

Hi,
Just dropping by to follow up on the Savage MSR 10 Long Range. No real reviews out there yet so I thought I would give you my experience so far with mine in 6.5 Creedmoor. First off I have never owned a semi auto before although I have shot an Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel and your typical .223 Ar 15's; however I have hunted and reloaded for over 20 years.

As the Whelen's quote goes "only accurate rifles are interesting" and the MSR long range is that. I have shot about 125 rounds working several different bullet load ups in Hornady's 143g ELD-X and the 147g ELD-M. I am working both Ramshot Hunter and IMR 4166 powder for optimum accuracy, SD and velocity. I have tried both the 143's and 147's in factory ammo and have tried several other factory ammo types like Berger in the 140 BTHP, Hornady 140 A -Max, Superformance 120g (which the gun doesn't like, heavier bullets seem better) and some American ammo. So far my handloads have performed the best outside of the Match 147g ELD-M from Hornady. My worst groups came from the factory Bergers (1.75 "!).

My Load results- Three, 3 shot group averages of the best so far at 100 yards:

143 ELD-X = .60
147 ELD-M = .62

Rarely does this gun want to print a group larger than an inch; it literally feels like an accurate gun (I know that's a wonky description but maybe some will get it).

It took a little while to get the rest and rifle recoil figured out for me as I don't often shoot semi's but overall I am very happy with the fit and finish of the rifle and the trigger. I have read various reviews of the other Savage MSR's and I honestly wondered about this BLACHAWK! Blaze trigger but after using it I have really started to like it. 1st stage is somewhat creepy but it's smoothing out with use, 2nd stage breaks clean at 2-3 lbs (I haven't measured it, no need, it's good for me). The rifle has fired all rounds with no jams.

My scope is a Burris XTR 4x20 and I am shooting off an Atlas bipod with rear bag on a concrete bench. To finish my range day yesterday I dialed in and shot at the 6 inch, 300 yard gong 6 times and never missed; then I had my two friends shoot the rifle at the same gong (they have never fired it before) all hits. Now this isn't too crazy as it's a 6 inch gong and with a MOA rifle off a solid rest and no wind this should be a breeze, and it was, but I guess what I'm saying is that it hasn't disappointed yet.

Anyway hope somebody finds this information as there really isn't a lot of reviews out there for the Long Range.

Reactions: Eddie Patrick
Hi,
Just dropping by to follow up on the Savage MSR 10 Long Range. No real reviews out there yet so I thought I would give you my experience so far with mine in 6.5 Creedmoor. First off I have never owned a semi auto before although I have shot an Alexander Arms 6.5 Grendel and your typical .223 Ar 15's; however I have hunted and reloaded for over 20 years.

As the Whelen's quote goes "only accurate rifles are interesting" and the MSR long range is that. I have shot about 125 rounds working several different bullet load ups in Hornady's 143g ELD-X and the 147g ELD-M. I am working both Ramshot Hunter and IMR 4166 powder for optimum accuracy, SD and velocity. I have tried both the 143's and 147's in factory ammo and have tried several other factory ammo types like Berger in the 140 BTHP, Hornady 140 A -Max, Superformance 120g (which the gun doesn't like, heavier bullets seem better) and some American ammo. So far my handloads have performed the best outside of the Match 147g ELD-M from Hornady. My worst groups came from the factory Bergers (1.75 "!).

My Load results- Three, 3 shot group averages of the best so far at 100 yards:

143 ELD-X = .60
147 ELD-M = .62

Rarely does this gun want to print a group larger than an inch; it literally feels like an accurate gun (I know that's a wonky description but maybe some will get it).

It took a little while to get the rest and rifle recoil figured out for me as I don't often shoot semi's but overall I am very happy with the fit and finish of the rifle and the trigger. I have read various reviews of the other Savage MSR's and I honestly wondered about this BLACHAWK! Blaze trigger but after using it I have really started to like it. 1st stage is somewhat creepy but it's smoothing out with use, 2nd stage breaks clean at 2-3 lbs (I haven't measured it, no need, it's good for me). The rifle has fired all rounds with no jams.

My scope is a Burris XTR 4x20 and I am shooting off an Atlas bipod with rear bag on a concrete bench. To finish my range day yesterday I dialed in and shot at the 6 inch, 300 yard gong 6 times and never missed; then I had my two friends shoot the rifle at the same gong (they have never fired it before) all hits. Now this isn't too crazy as it's a 6 inch gong and with a MOA rifle off a solid rest and no wind this should be a breeze, and it was, but I guess what I'm saying is that it hasn't disappointed yet.

Anyway hope somebody finds this information as there really isn't a lot of reviews out there for the Long Range.

Liked your write-up.
was wondering if you had to adjust your gas block?
I been trying to work up some loads and having to adjust gas block. It seizes up on me after about 40 rounds and I have to disassemble it to clean it out!
Kind of a pain in the ass.

Liked your write-up.
was wondering if you had to adjust your gas block?
I been trying to work up some loads and having to adjust gas block. It seizes up on me after about 40 rounds and I have to disassemble it to clean it out!
Kind of a pain in the ass.

I have been wondering about the gas block; not much instructions for it and I really haven't messed with it. I did try and turn it down because the rounds kick out so hard and at the 1-2 o'clock position. It would be great to get them to kick out at the 3 o'clock so they wouldn't land in front of the firing line. However, when I tried to turn it down (clockwise, from the barrel end looking back towards the stock) it wouldn't go down hardly at all. I can turn it the other way but this moves the adjustment screw out (showing more metal) and I think? thats opening it up, which I dont need. So I stopped and have resolved to take it fully apart at some time to figure out what's going on. In theory one should be able to turn it in (less metal showing) so it blocks more gas to the point of non functioning...but after bending an allen wrench trying I gave up.

If you have taken it apart could you tell me if my assumption on the turning of it is wrong or right? Thanks.

This is exactly what happened to mine. So I took the allen screw out that controls the gas flow. Then I put solvent in the block reinserted the screw and tightened it as far as it would go (witch was just a little bit more than where I started). Kept working it back and forth till it was free and was able to close it all the way. Then you have to reset it to where you get the desired amount of gas and remember the setting cause you'll have to redo it again and again after every 40 rounds or so it seems.

To remove the screw turn it counter clockwise.
Savage says that they haven't experienced this problem and told me to use "fresh factory ammo"LMAO!

Thanks for info, I was thinking it was stuck somehow. "Fresh Factory Ammo" What the hell does that mean? Are they saying not to put our dirty, stinking handloads through it lol. Now I'm afraid to touch it as I met gremlin it, sorry you're having those problems. I thought those gas blocks were relatively self cleaning...or so the interwebs told me...I just don't know a whole lot about gas guns, but logic would say they would need cleaning at some point....just not every 40 rounds.

RL15 and IMR4064. Its a 308.
unscrew the screw put some hoppers in the gas block the replace the screw tighten it down then back it off. Then tighten it. Keep doing this till it closes all the way. Or just send it back! Mine works best at about 12 or 13 clicks out

I told Savage that I'll just put an SLR on it and be down! Not sending it back! They've got hundreds of them! They can run their own test!

One other thing! THE gas block touches the hand guard on mine on the left side. I put a .002 shim on the right side where the hand guard meets the receiver and it doesn't touch but it's close! I'm going to replace it with a .003 shim!
probably will Just pull a SLR off one of my other guns and see if things line up!

RL15 and IMR4064. Its a 308.
unscrew the screw put some hoppers in the gas block the replace the screw tighten it down then back it off. Then tighten it. Keep doing this till it closes all the way. Or just send it back! Mine works best at about 12 or 13 clicks out

Ok thanks, I haven't had any problems with mine yet beside the whole not turning down deal. My handguard is clear of the gas block. Let me know how the SLR works.

One other thing! THE gas block touches the hand guard on mine on the left side. I put a .002 shim on the right side where the hand guard meets the receiver and it doesn't touch but it's close! I'm going to replace it with a .003 shim!
probably will Just pull a SLR off one of my other guns and see if things line up!

So I finally took off the handguard and cleaned the gas screw so it would close all the way, I'm going to try and adjust it to just operate now that my load work up is nearing completion. I did notice when tightening the handguard back on that it was touching the gas block so I carefully retightened the screws on the handguard using a cross pattern to tighten each screw a little at a time and now it doesn't touch anymore. It was crooked when I just tightened up one side at a time.

I had some really good groups the other day with several in the .36-.39 range. Both 43g of Hunter and 41.5g of IMR 4451 have been good for about 2685 fps range, I don't want to push it to much as I have heard that gas guns aren't as safe with max loads. I got a rear accushot monopod as I think my rear bag was introducing a little too much wiggle (probably just me not being good with it) so I am going to try that this week. I'm going to shoot about 10-15 of each load and look for whichever has the lowest SD's (I'm using an Oehler 35 for my chrony). If they are both equal I'll probably go for the IMR 4451 just because it's supposedly an anti copper fouling and temperature stable powder, I don't know how much stock I put in these claims but it cant hurt.

I got the bug a while back and got my LR 6.5 earlier this week from the only place that had them buds. Nice to have a gun pretty much to my liking out of the box. The only piece of furniture I don't like is the grip. Nice shape but hard plastic I hate and pretty fond of the Hogue rubber ones I have on my other AR's. I lapped/mounted/leveled/bore sighted a 20 moa American Defense Recon mount and a Vortex Viper PST GII 5-25 FFP with Vortex bubble level on it. That was a bit of a pain with the junk Tipton "best gun vise" but I got there. It also got a Magpul bipod mount and a Harris bipod. The guns supposed to weigh 10 but equipped its weighs in at 14.2 no mag. Maybe its the size but it feels like a boat anchor. As for the forearm Magpul hit it out of the park with the MLOK (have on another AR also). So much lighter, comfortable and functional than the cheese graters or even the overly heavy Troy alpha rail I have on another AR. Probably the only thing lighter in free float would be a carbon fiber tube. On the subject of the gas block nothing is touching on mine and I have not adjusted it yet but I'm going to need to. Also no issue with first 100rds of factory ammo.

I got out to a 100yrd range to zero it today and put 100 rounds of Hornady American Hunter 140g BTHP's down range. First time I used a 20moa mount and maybe something was off on my bore sight and it took me a bit to get it where I wanted it. Part of it was me and my stupidity with those turrets and first mil scope. The trigger is phenomenal but there again it threw me for a loop get used to a very crisp, very light 2 stage. That's going to take some practice as I'm used to good single stage. As to the gun with the gas block in factory position the gun hops like a freaking pogo stick. At least part of that is needing to be broken in. Its very tight and the buffer spring is very stiff. The side and top charging handle are a bit of a bitch to pull back. In any case with that scope I'm going to want a wide BCM charging handle on it. I was on a hard range table just shooting with the bipod and no sand bags and I had to move it to get back on target pretty much every shot. That and the other factors were a little annoying but eventually I was drilling the 1" stickers on my target at 100yrds. Towards the end I was getting some .5 moa groups. I've got another 500rds of the Hornady American Hunter 140g and maybe I will get my kinks ironed out. At that point I'll have enough brass to start loading 6.5 assuming I can get my hands on some powder. Great gun and no regrets so far.

Any additional range reports from owners of the long range version in 6.5C?

Well I finely ended up sending my 308 MSR 10 lr back to Savage.
It's a long story and after a lot of frustration and several calls to them I got some service. I'm not posting this to smear Savage but to follow up on my previous post I made.

The final straw was when the retaining pin for the firing pin broke and CS wouldn't send me the part, stating that it was a restricted part! I went off on her and she transferred me to management.
I had a lengthy conversation with him and he said he'd send the pin but he really wanted the rifle back! So I agreed and sent it to Savage.

Fast forward. They sent it back ( just over 30 days round trip) with paperwork saying what was done and when and the results!

Parts replaced (not specific)
Inspected---
function fired----Passed
Target tested----Passed (remarks) FGMM 168 SMK
3 shots 100 yds .5"

I haven't really got out to run it Through the paces but did fire about 10 rounds of factory GMM 168's in stormy wet cold conditions and 3 178gr hand loads and at this point things seen gtg.
Anyway thanks Savage!
Will post my final thoughts after I shoot it more!

Last edited:
Has anybody shot Hornady's 155 gr A-Max (.308) from the MSR LR yet? Curious how the groups came out..

Definitely in to see your results. I've been breaking in the MSR-10 Hunter in 6.5CM. Just put up a review (link here to the Hide post) and am trying to follow a few other posts to see results from other Savage MSR lines. If enough people keep getting decent accuracy, I may pick up their 224 Valkyrie to play with. Or I'll build one. :)

Please post pics and results after range run.

I probably have less than 500 rounds through my MSR 10 .308. Never shot corrosive ammo. But the barrel has extensive pockets of erosion the entire length of the barrel. attached photo is of one of them. Barrel is standard chromoly steel - not stainless. Any thoughts? Nothing else I have has anything like this in the barrel.

Attachments

• 2020-02-17-10-44-08 (5).jpg
    2020-02-17-10-44-08 (5).jpg
    615.8 KB · Views: 90
I probably have less than 500 rounds through my MSR 10 .308. Never shot corrosive ammo. But the barrel has extensive pockets of erosion the entire length of the barrel. attached photo is of one of them. Barrel is standard chromoly steel - not stainless. Any thoughts? Nothing else I have has anything like this in the barrel.

You’re rolling the dice with the odds against you when buying low end stuff and that one clearly wasn’t a winner.

You could send it to Savage and try to get it replaced but good luck. I sent back a long range hunter 7mm rem mag that grouped like a shotgun pattern and they sent it back to me a few weeks later saying it met their accuracy tests. Still shot like shit.

If standard barrels work on them then I would say dumping that barrel in the scrap bin and putting a good barrel on it would be your best option.

Has anybody shot Hornady's 155 gr A-Max (.308) from the MSR LR yet? Curious how the groups came out..
I want to know this too. Plus I'd love to hear about that combination at ranges of over 100 yards.
I've searched countless times with different parameters and I don't know how many different sites to see what that combination does at serious distances. All I can find is how it works at 100 yards. I want to know what it can do at 300 or more yards. Even at a thousand if possible...
Everyone and his dog does reviews on 100 yards. I don't have my rifle yet, as it is being shipped in, and I'd appreciate some reviews with substance.

After all, it's designed for range, obviously, but it seems that nobody's yet actually put one to the test. Or they've decided to keep their results classified.

Maybe I'll have to just do this myself, unless someone has pertinent information to share before mine comes in and I'll have to find out on my own.

Either way, I'll let you know, since I've been trying to get stocked up on 155 gr A-MAX. Current events has made even that a bit on the scarce side, but things will get better. Eventually.

These arent the first negative feedback on the MSR10 from Savage unfortunately...could be a great platform but the small, inconsistent issues don't help it...

I have a bone stock one that I purchased in late winter of 18. I put a gen 2 razor on it in a spur mount and took it to 920 ish the first full day of shooting.

I have had no problems with it. It has been surprisingly accurate and reliable. It prefers Hornady 120 ELD. It opens up with the 140 and 147.

My only regret is that I didn't put a 4-27 razor on it.

You won't mistake it for a JP, but I have $950 into it. Someday I will have the JP bu until then, this will do just fine.