• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Anyone ever used a freight trucking service and/or uShip? LOL

TheGerman

Oberleutnant
Minuteman
  • Jan 25, 2010
    the Westside
    Have a item I need shipped a few states away. I have a picture, exact weight and dimensions. I also have a very wide pickup/delivery window as I don't really need it RFN.

I've already spoken to 2 separate shipping/freight brokers and was quoted around $475 by both of them, for the exact same item, size, weight, time table, loading/offloading procedure and equipment, etc.

Decided to go on uShip and listed it with the exact same everything including a delivery window that can be from as early as tomorrow, to as late as the end of August. Just wanted to see if there was a better deal/better timetable, otherwise I'd just go with one of the brokers and be done with it.

All I can say is What. The. Fuck.

Almost instantly I got a chain of email alerts of pricing bids for the shipment.

Went and looked and they are all from 1700 to 2300+. For the exact same everything I got two quotes of around 475$ for from brokers. Absolutely zero difference.

I get that some of them may go out of their way a bit, or may not need to box or whatever. But literally 4-5 times the price? LOL

Then the best part is the ones sending add on messages trying to tell me that need all this special fucking equipment and shit to move a square crate on top of a pallet and that 'it might be more' if they have to use whatever machine to move it. It's a box on a fucking pallet you muppet; if you need 2k and special equipment to move it, you need to just work at the fucking mall.

Are freight companies just insane, or is this a case where they see individuals wanting a shipment and they send them some retarded idiot quote? Apparently whatever is happening is extremely common as I ended up with 12 different companies doing this within 30 minutes.

Reactions: MtnGhost
    Have a item I need shipped a few states away. I have a picture, exact weight and dimensions. I also have a very wide pickup/delivery window as I don't really need it RFN.

I've already spoken to 2 separate shipping/freight brokers and was quoted around $475 by both of them, for the exact same item, size, weight, time table, loading/offloading procedure and equipment, etc.

Decided to go on uShip and listed it with the exact same everything including a delivery window that can be from as early as tomorrow, to as late as the end of August. Just wanted to see if there was a better deal/better timetable, otherwise I'd just go with one of the brokers and be done with it.

All I can say is What. The. Fuck.

Almost instantly I got a chain of email alerts of pricing bids for the shipment.

Went and looked and they are all from 1700 to 2300+. For the exact same everything I got two quotes of around 475$ for from brokers. Absolutely zero difference.

I get that some of them may go out of their way a bit, or may not need to box or whatever. But literally 4-5 times the price? LOL

Then the best part is the ones sending add on messages trying to tell me that need all this special fucking equipment and shit to move a square crate on top of a pallet and that 'it might be more' if they have to use whatever machine to move it. It's a box on a fucking pallet you muppet; if you need 2k and special equipment to move it, you need to just work at the fucking mall.

Are freight companies just insane, or is this a case where they see individuals wanting a shipment and they send them some retarded idiot quote? Apparently whatever is happening is extremely common as I ended up with 12 different companies doing this within 30 minutes.
    or maybe uShip has spam bots to send you stupid high quotes so you believe you got a great deal and use them asap.

You have a Fastenal near you?

Fastenal to Fastenal store is cheap, reliable and secure. But your 'receiver' will have to go to a Fastenal to get the box.

I never use the YouShip stuff. It's full of crooked russians and incompetence.

Go to a 'major' hauler and ship depot to depot... not door to door.

They'll give you a price and stick to it. I ship engines all the time.

Sirhr

I had a generator sent via freight a few years ago. In the order, I clearly told them the delivery would be to my house with no loading dock. Guess what happened? Yes, they arrived at my house in a tractor trailer with no lift gate. Since the package weighed in at over $200 lbs, I wasn't able to take it off the truck by myself and the driver just sat in his truck.

They charged me an additional $70 to take it back to their facility and me having to drive 40 miles to pick it up myself. I tried to cancel my order but the seller would have none of that. They basically held my generator hostage. Either I paid the $70 or it would sit there forever.

I had a generator sent via freight a few years ago. In the order, I clearly told them the delivery would be to my house with no loading dock. Guess what happened? Yes, they arrived at my house in a tractor trailer with no lift gate. Since the package weighed in at over $200 lbs, I wasn't able to take it off the truck by myself and the driver just sat in his truck.

They charged me an additional $70 to take it back to their facility and me having to drive 40 miles to pick it up myself. I tried to cancel my order but the seller would have none of that. They basically held my generator hostage. Either I paid the $70 or it would sit there forever.

This is the type of shit as to why I think I'm just using the broker and done. If I have a problem, its his problem and he gets to figure it out.

Like a box of chocolate, you do not know what you are going to get. Professional or broke down van with two guys dragging my shit out of van and dropping on driveway and leaving.

uShip has an option to post the load to all the small independent operators, and that is where you want to be.

Do not deal with the 3rd party forwarders ! FedEx and UPS Freight were reasonable on uShip.

You have to communicate directly with the person picking up your freight or you'll have trouble.

Literally just got a quote for 3468 with a $100 'service charge'.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Literally just got a quote for 3468 with a $100 'service charge'.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Pm me your dimensions est weight and where it's going and I can have my guy check on it 🤣

Most LTL carriers are going to be hella expensive without pricing on an account with the carrier. Brokers have that pricing, hence the lower rate quotes.

I used U-Ship about 10 years ago and it worked out, but it was complete luck. The first independent shipper I contracted with several weeks in advance for a specific pick-up date was a no call & no show on that date and went complete ghost. I never heard from them again even after filing a formal complaint with U-Ship. I fortunately was able to contract with another shipper within 24 hours and he was awesome! I don't think I'd risk now though.

I've seen Fastenal mentioned several times on multiple forums for shipping large palletized items and do not recall any negative comments from those that went that route. Good Luck.

Business news was interviewing a CEO involved with transportation industry. Dude was saying the trucking companies were agreeing to contracts to move loads, then when the time came to pickup the loads they would bump the costs 2x to 3x the original contract quote. Companies were either paying up or now being forced to find another transport and wait longer for their products to ship out.

If it was easy I'd just buy a trailer and start running LTL.

Make sure you read the agreement for those $475 quotes.

I actually used uShip to get a MX bike from SoCal to northern IL for $350. I just used it again to get my new enclosed trailer from GA to IL. My motorcycle shipment was from a guy in MN that ran Amish furniture to the west coast and picked up random loads on the way back. That shipment went awesome. My trailer deal was good too. A husband and wife grabbed it from the factory and delivered it to my door for $950. Every company the trailer factory recommended was over $1500 for delivery. I personally think uShip works well especially if you hold firm on your price and are flexible with the delivery windows.

Those prices are absurd.

I'm moving a Graffunder Safe and not a low end model to Texas for less then most of those quotes

Try Fastenal. The will ship store to store usually decent rates.