• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Hunting & Fishing Anyone hunting with a Schmidt and Bender Zenith Fire Dot?

Hosshunter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2012
North Texas
Anyone hunting with a Schmidt and Bender Zenith Fire Dot? Just wondering if the illumination is visible during daylight hours. Sometimes I find the FFP reticles a little hard to see at lower mags.

i assume you mean flashdot, not fire dot ...

i'm hunting with a 3-12x50 s&z zenith, and the flashdot reticle 7. i absolutely love it. i compared it with the swaro z6i. the flashdot is reflected into the reticle ... so you have a normal thickness of the bars of 1cm@100m. when you compare it with a swaro z6i, the crossing/light is notably thicker and looks pretty much like flyshit on the reticle. same applies to kahles (which is just swaro with a different name), recently checked it.

about the brightness: i would argue that it's easily bright enough for austrian/german daylight. but i remember the sun from austin/texas ... and i have to admit that 'our' sun feels like a candle compared to that blazing circle in the sky that i experience in austin.

when you get it, you might ask for two quick changes before shipping (well, that's what i did): you can also get a turret for the zenith. so i've had them install them. and you can directly ask them to install the tenebraex cubs which i found to be tons better than the butler creek cups (i broke 3 of the new butler cups in one year. the tenebraex never failed me since then). get the turret+cups factory-installed and you'll be twice as happy with the zenith fd7 ;)

Sorry I did mean flashdot. You read my mind...I was definitely planning on converting over to turrets both windage and elevation. I am replacing a 4-16x50 PMII on my long range hunting rifle. I like the adjustment of the PMII and the P4L fine but the illumination does not help with the visibility of the reticle during daylight at lower magnification. Not to forget, the weight is a little much to drag around the countryside. It looks like the Zenith 3-12x50 would be a good compromise. Thanks for the feedback! You're making my decision a little easier.

I hunt with a Schmidt & Bender Zenith 2,5-10x56 FD / FD-7 reticle and use it especially for hunting hogs at night and at dawn / in the early morning hours (foxes, roe deer). Great scope.

I did it....just dropped by SWFA and picked up a 3-12X50 FD9. I'm thinking I'm going to love this scope. Excellent illumination in broad daylight!

After being on the fence about the FD9 reticle,, I now find myself wondering why the US hasn't caught on to the effectiveness. It really does bring you eye right to the center crosshairs.