• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing Anyone know a legit anodizing provider?

pmclaine

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Nov 6, 2011
    MA
    Looking to have a builder send a DBM to an anodizing company that will do legit Type III hard anodizing.

There are some here in MA but if anyone has experience with someone capable of mil.spec. Industrial hard anodizing in black/dark gray my hope is your good experience will be my good experience.

Thank you!

Reactions: Average guy
    I’d like to find someone as well. I need to get a winch shackle mount done

Most of the anodizers require a setup and minimum charge. Those who take one offs are of questionable quality, especially if you are doing colors. There are some who do black pretty well, but I would not expect milspec.

I have heard from others that these guys do black anodizing well, but have no direct experience. Outlaw Anodizing

If timing is not important, I am happy to include anyone's products in the next batch we send for anodizing. No charge, you just pay shipping, but must be willing to wait. We send batches to anodizing every quarter. We pull whatever we have to send off. Mostly AR15 upper receivers. But, we are a small shop, when it comes to anodizing.

I’ve had quite a few lowers done by Dave Montana @ Hunter Rifle Works. He does great work! Knocks it out fast and has really impressed with his ability to get the right shades of ano depending on the era. Of the build.

Highly recommend

After struggling to find someone willing to return a call or email I ended up going with Vegas Metal Finishing. I had them blast and Type III hardcoat five parts in black. I paid the expedite fee and they did them in under a week. I will receive the parts on Thursday and let you know how they turned out, but I anticipate they will be good quality based on their knowledge when I spoke to them.

Reactions: Average guy
    All good info here.

Looking to hear about Vegas.

Last edited:
    UPS just delivered, I was wondering if they were going to make it.

On the receivers there is a slight greenish hue which I am actually okay with. The receivers were 7075. The KAC URX 3.1 is 6061 and doesn't have as much green hue. The receivers were machined billet and I sanded them some to get the machining marks out. The blasting that they did took out all the imperfections. I am very pleased with the results. I'll be busy this weekend putting them together. It has been a long process to get to this point. Hope this helps.

AS SHIPPED
    5 - SPC-10 Lower Receiver Left Sanded.JPG

RECEIVED
    IMG_1912.jpg

IMG_1913.jpg

Attached is their price list and requirements also.

Attachments

• VMF Price List (CAO 4422) (1).pdf
      53.2 KB · Views: 82
    • Required for completed lower receiver.pdf
      11.8 KB · Views: 57
    I apppreciated the part about non communist states. I sorrow for those living under the iron fist of communism.

Reactions: DustBun
    UPDATE: The previous pictures I took were under incandescent lighting which showed a slight greenish hue. I just took a picture in natural lighting outside. It is not as black as I had hoped and it has a slight brownish/bronze hue. I will call them later today to see if anything can be done and provide another update. I don't necessarily mind the color, they are going to get beat up some anyway.

IMG_1915.jpg

UPDATE: The previous pictures I took were under incandescent lighting which showed a slight greenish hue. I just took a picture in natural lighting outside. It is not as black as I had hoped and it has a slight brownish/bronze hue. I will call them later today to see if anything can be done and provide another update. I don't necessarily mind the color, they are going to get beat up some anyway.

View attachment 7952642
    I see the “brown” some….but probably only cause you have me looking for it.

Reactions: DustBun

View attachment 7952642
    Oil it yet?

Oil it yet?
    I have not. I was going to use one of my silicone cleaning cloths on it today and see what it does, then I will try some oil. Thanks. Although they are not quite as black as my other rifles, they did come out good. Vegas Metal Finishing did a good job.

This is great info. I'll have a few prototype parts for the MDRX to send out in a couple weeks, will probably be sending them to VMF if my local lead doesn't pan (y)

Las Vegas Metal did right by me....

IMG_0626.JPG

IMG_0627.JPG

image.jpg

I think they saw the part and might have said to themselves "Shirley he can't really want this to be mil-spec flat anodized like an M4?"

A little shinier than I desired but not too far off from a 60s Remington look.