• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Anyone preparing for a diaster such as 2012?

Re: Anyone preparing for a diaster such as 2012?

Someone on the Hide posted an excellent link in regards to the subject and it was related to the Argentina Economic Meldown of the late 90's and early 2000's (IIRC).

The article was written by a young man that survived the ordeal and he had several practical thoughts in regards to the situation. Couldn't find the link but will post some of his thoughts as I best recall. (like I said...HIS thoughts)

------

First of all, the paper money was worthless. Junk gold and junk silver became the currency of choice. Sure there were Kruggerands, etc. but they were no more of value than the junk gold. "Barter Towns" for purchasing and trading became common and were ruled by Mafia types. You were actually safer in the Barter Town than anywhere else. These guys didn't put up with any kind of crap...'period' and the police didn't mess with them.

Weapons of choice were handguns, especially one that can be concealed. Glocks, Sigs, Colts became priceless but especially Glocks. Bersa was also mentioned as a favorite and not so high priced. Any handgun that was dependable became the gun of choice. Rifles? What are you going to do with a rifle when you have to go work? You think that everyone is going to let you on the ferry or the buss if you are carrying an M4 carbine? Long Range Rifles? Do you really expect a hoard to be approaching from a long ways off blowing whistles announcing their approach while you pick them off one by one from your FFP? Its the friendly people up close and personal that you least suspect that will steal you blind...or kill you. (he doesn't discount the use of rifles, sure they have their place but not in the situations he was faced with).

Living in the city by yourself was dangerous enough and living in the country by yourself was of little advantage. Loners became easy prey for armed thugs traveling in large groups. These predators would find such a place and stay until they had raped, tortured, murdered and used up all food and fuel and then moved on. Living in a small communtiy was not just a an asset but a necessity.

Generators? Good luck finding one and if you did you were an extremely prosperous person. Night time wondering around in the dark because the grid was always down got really old. Flashlights? Yeah, they are a necessity but nothing takes the place of a good head lamp that keeps your hands free, especially at at night when a person wanted to read. What else was there to do?

Have an emergency and need the police? Don't hold your breath waiting for them. Too many had been dispatched in the early stages of the collapse only to be ambushed and murdered for their weapons. You have an emergency...you deal with it.

Driving through a city? Never stop...for anything and never let youself get pinned in traffic. Many/most ignored the traffic lights. If someone jumped in your path to force you to stop...speed up. Trust me, they WILL move.

---------

This is just a short synopsis of a VERY INTERESTING and practial read.

If I find the link, I'll post it.

i can't believe this thread is still goin on!

has anyone heard "a country boy can survive" by hank williams jr.?

look at today's date 10-10-10. if the man made world didn't come crashing down at 10:01, 10:10, 1:00 1:01, 1:10 am or pm, 2012 don't mean much when it comes to cyber stuff. remember Y2K?

"2012 the end of the world", end of days, armegeddon, end of mankind - whatever you want to call it means there are none of us around to use what was prepared beforehand. sure the cockroaches appreciate it, but that's about it.

as for lesser than the end of the world:

gun and ammo: something easily found, is versatile and light -12gauge or .22lr. relatively quiet that location will not be comprimised if having to shoot dinner. you are not going to need something to knock things down at longer yardages - that's just bad planning. don't plan on utilizing found military weapons and ammo, if things are that bad, they are already dead before they deployed.

food: whatever can be preserved and carried without a diverse effect on mobility - jerky, MRE's, dried fruit etc.

water: only enough that can be carried without a diverse effect on mobility - better off bringing filtration tablets and filters.

dependable firestarters: for water purification, heat, illumination if needed, and cooking whatever you scrounge up.

offensive or defensive positions: avoid confrontations of either, the idea is to survive. if giving up what little you have to another to help preserve health or depletion of what your trying to defend, run baby run. offensive actions will cause the same.

clothing / shelter: - whatever is adaptable. if you are in a warmer climate now, it may turn into colder if there is some wierd tilting of the earth's axis, nuclear winter, ash in the atmosphere or something like that - learn to tan animal hides or weave grasses for clothing / shelter. a few ponchos stashed could do both clothing and shelter in the short term.

biggest tools to have is mindset and knowledge, not so much as tangible tools - will you be able to do whatever it takes to survive, and do you have the knowledge to adapt to changing conditions and make sustaining items out of "nothing" or what is available? it's amazing what they did with sharp sticks centuries ago.

either no one will be around on dec 22nd to worry about it, or off to work we'll go hoping the commute isn't a bitch.

besides if you don't already have something or yourself prepared for tornadoes, floods, fire, earthquake, zombie domination, alien abduction, or a visit from the in laws, etc., it's already too late.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TOP PREDATOR</div><div class="ubbcode-body">biggest tools to have is mindset and knowledge, not so much as tangible tools - will you be able to do whatever it takes to survive, and do you have the knowledge to adapt to changing conditions and make sustaining items out of "nothing" or what is available?</div></div>

A wise man once said this
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The best piece of kit one has is the 3 pounds of gray matter between the ears... if used properly. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So a 50 BMG is too much kaboom stick for "an diaster" TOP PREDATOR? </div></div>

If you were using your "Best Weapon",your BRAIN,as has been suggested here.You would already know you can pack the ports in the Brake with Shrapnel and take out an Enemy trying to flank you !!!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SANDRAT</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Shooter21</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So a 50 BMG is too much kaboom stick for "an diaster" TOP PREDATOR? </div></div>

If you were using your "Best Weapon",your BRAIN,as has been suggested here.You would already know you can pack the ports in the Brake with Shrapnel and take out an Enemy trying to flank you !!!
laugh.gif
</div></div>
I didn't think about that. Maybe I spend my 401k on pallets of ammo. I believe that the pallet of claymores I bought will come in handy too. Should I order a second Counter Sniper scope for backup as well?

This AM I was waiting on First Safe Light and a few of us, were talking. Seems many are seeing more folks asking about the art of table Fishing & Hunting, vs sport fishing an wall hangers.

Just before we hit the water a guy 99 years old spoke up and said, it was the same way before an after 1929.

Payday/back for all that plastic an "I got's to have it now", is just up ahead and there's nothing anyone can do about it.
Folks that think it can't happen here are the same ones that told you, "Yes, you can afford that 300K home on 50K a year, income".

The bulk of the voting public believes everything they see on TV, the internet, or told via the "Expert" on the spot, as truth,...

Keep believing,...it's the only thing keeping this country afloat!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Gunfighter14e2</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This AM I was waiting on First Safe Light and a few of us, were talking. Seems many are seeing more folks asking about the art of table Fishing & Hunting, vs sport fishing an wall hangers.

Just before we hit the water a guy 99 years old spoke up and said, it was the same way before an after 1929.

Payday/back for all that plastic an "I got's to have it now", is just up ahead and there's nothing anyone can do about it.
Folks that think it can't happen here are the same ones that told you, "Yes, you can afford that 300K home on 50K a year, income".

The bulk of the voting public believes everything they see on TV, the internet, or told via the "Expert" on the spot, as truth,...

Keep believing,...it's the only thing keeping this country afloat! </div></div>

Yeah, although it is like drinking salt water to stave off dehydration...

2012?

I have it all figured out, I will rule the world by 2014! First it depends on IF Greg is right though and half of America dies in the first week. I am gonna open me up a burger joint call it "The Being!" Their will be plenty of food supply with all these dead people. Only payment I am gonna accept are cigars, whisky, and ammo. Then Im gonna open up a cigar/whisky bar and only payment I will accept their is naked pictures of women, (hey sex sells right!) then with all these naked pictures I am gonna sell them for the grand finalle, but I cant tell you guys that!

I could go on, but I think I will leave it there!

Just where the hell is a zit faced 14 year old going to get an automatic rifle and body armor? Maybe you should go back and steal your dads playboy's instead of his solder of fortune.

My health is a significant issue, and I depend on medications to stay alive and active. My source is the VA, they keep track of my renewals, and it's essentially impossible for me to stockpile much more than 30 days worth of meds.

So this discussion, for me, is pretty academic. I would be but a memory in well under six months, no matter what happens to the rest of you.

I've been a Science Fiction fan for a lifetime, and these topics get thorough coverage within the genre. Such events tend to run toward the depressing, and there are stages of decay that can quickly exceed the capacity for recovery. Essentially, if you can't recover quickly, the alternative resembles the Dark Ages. Stories like <span style="font-style: italic">The Road</span> could seem opimistic by comparison.

Anything dependent on industrial production would be lost for ages. This includes most of the current strains of agricultural plants and domesticated animals. They are all artificially produced, the very word 'artifical' would rapidly become much disused, and things of an artificial nature would soon become mistrusted. Society would become feudal and agrarian. The nanny state would be a short time going and a long time gone. Disease and famine would become commonplace. The basic unit of society would once again become the nuclear family. Amoral and/or antisocial behavior would not be tolerated. The key transnational organizations would be theological in nature. Technology might strike an equilibrium at the 17th century level, with the exception that most of the fuel source (forests) are already gone. Roads would soon decay, and waterways would again become key avenues of transportation. Natural resources would of necessity be mostly local, and would probably only be sufficient to support a population at least one order of magnitude smaller. Books would become a form of currency, and recordings would be nonexistant. Knowledge would become a trade commodity and would be jealously guarded, as with the guilds of yore. The 'Net would be down for a significant fraction of a millennium.

A Nation with a realistic approach to potential disaster would stockpile and guard the means to restore society at several levels of technological decay. Knowledge must be preserved; regaining it once lost would a munumental tragedy. Attempts to contain/regain current technological levels would be futile and utterly wasteful of precious resources. As callous as it may sound, logic would suggest that a large proportion of the population be allowed/assisted to perish. A large population would be unsustainable, and efforts to the contrary would be essentially counterproductive. I would tell them something very much like what we started talking about at the beginning of this topic, that we're all doomed anyway. That's how it would start.

Greg

Greg,

On the comment of artificial animals, just for clarity. Cows, horses, sheep and pigs are still completely breed on their own. Yes some are AI, but no genetic mutation in their dna has been done to prevent that. I have ran A LOT of cattle in my short life, calves are still made the same way as they were a millennia ago (by having sex). The only "artificial" thing that has been done to horses/cows, is that they have been bred for certain traits, ie performance or meat.

This is Fucking Bullshit, I pre paid my daughters college, I dumped an assload of money into my 401k, and Roth IRAs, meanwhile some fuck head in the 1600s and some rejects from down south say my kid 16th B-Day is the last day for all mankind, GOD I hope so...................................................

I'd probably want to quibble about genetics, but I'll concede the point. Around here, much of the stock is artificially inseminated.

Greg

IF they are dairy cows, yes I am sure! But beef cows, the lions share of the beef you eat, is from beef cows, not dairy cows, and Id swag, 90% of beef cows are bred by a bull. But I digress.

Yeah, but how many calves will you get in the spring if the 295 million folks who can no longer go to Mickey D's or the grocery store(and don't farm) come looking for your bulls and heifers? Won't be much livestock or wild game within six months of a systemic collapse. and forget using your ammo to save the herd, save it for the roving bands of cannibals.
eek.gif
On the upside, the roving bands of cannibals might include the some like the OP with some really cool gear for spoils. Although I doubt anyone who spent all their money on the greatest boots, pack and MBR ever will last that long, anyway. Shoot, those of us who grow our own food and actually train with our weapons might not be around that far in, due to the sheer numbers of the "golden horde"! Live for today, tomorrow is guaranteed to no one.

The bulk of my ammo will be used to "Harvest" cheap food stock for sale/barter,... Stealing an old name My "Soylent" company will have many Zombie offerings,...
Tight'y White'y,
Sassy Black'y,
Mellow Yellow,
and a very special,... Messie-Tex'ie BBQ.

All served with or w/o La. hot sauce,...

My point is not so much about bovine husbandry, but rather, about the invasive nature technology has come to enjoy in each of our lives, and get us all to give some thought to what our lives would be like if that technology became unsupportable.

As a Sci Fi subject, apocalyptic events and their consequences are both foreseeable and predictable. The basic idea suggests a reversion to former levels of technology, with some credence given to society levelling out from its plummet at somewhere between a 14th and a 17th century equivalent.

As much as many romantics might covet such a lifestyle, it would soon pale as the harsh realities of such a life imposed themselves on their reverie.

Greg

I like my comfort zone and those who try to disrupt it will pay dearly
wink.gif

i just got back from sams club. i bought a 50gal drum of rice just in case SHTF. I also practiced with my CQB crowbar a little. Does anybody know where I can get some authentic chainmail? I dont think zombies can bite through that.

LWRC556,
You and the like were my inspiration for THIS

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mscott</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OregonShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing ending in 2012 is a 4 year term. Thank God! </div></div>
When I read 2012 in the subject I immediately thought of the next big election. That could be as much of a disaster as anything. </div></div>
hahhaha
you actually believe 1 man controls everything?...sad, just sad..

bench

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only thing ending in 2012 is a 4 year term. Thank God!</div></div>

STRAW MAN FALLACY: add ridicule of course
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hahhaha
you actually believe 1 man controls everything?...sad, just sad..
</div></div>

First statement says NOTHING about <span style="font-weight: bold">1 MAN CONTROLLING EVERYTHING</span> or controlling anything. So Straw Man position fails because it presents a distorted, exaggerated or misrepresented version of the original statement.

And see you can discuss this without making personal attacks.

Seekers

Am amazed this topic is still going and that I am actually posting on it!!!
Not that this really matters if we are all vaporized in an instant, hopefully I have enough time for the misses and I to have a last ditch fun one in that case. I learned quite a few things during Katrina that have helped greatly and to some extent are related to this topic. I got to know my neighbors, really well. Thank god they are of similar mindset!!! We are a bit out in the country here, which was very helpful. It kept the car jacking looters away from this area, not that that would have mattered much. The first thing most of us did was to asess the damage on our own properties and to make sure everyone was alive. We lost over 40 acres of pine trees, made quite a mess when they landed too. The second thing that happened is that we all checked on our neighbors to make sure they were okay. Day one, we were on 4-wheelers with chainsaws, over 30 of us clearing roads. Barter and trade started almost immediately, you can fish our pond, if you bring over the rice etc... After the first week it was pretty easy. We started getting into sink and really became a tight nit community. Fuel was short, electricity non-existant but we had fire,food and friends. The hardest part really was the boredom, read more books then I could count. You tried not to exert too much energy to conserve your stores of food and water, we are on well which requires a generator, use it when you need it then shut it off!!! 20 minutes of generator time would give 4 of us a hot shower and plenty of fresh water. We have since added solar backup for the well's. I guess my point is, know who you are around, yea most of us on here could proabaly get by just fine if the SHTF, but it helps a hellova lot
to have friends that you know are there and what they are about.
Yes we keep 100 lbs. of rice per person, also 90 lbs. of beans dry stored. Typically (2) 55 gallon drums of fresh water, changed out every couple months to keep fresh. 300 gallons of diesel, 300 gallons of gas and a couple spare Generators when that one doesn't seem to want to operate properly. 1000 - 1500 rounds of ammo per caliber, full medical kit, spare parts for most of the weapons and hand tools, yes. Plenty of hand tools, and last but not least by request, a boat load of TOILET PAPER!!! All in all, we ran withought power for eight weeks out here, and honestly it wasn't too bad. The worst part was going into town, which we started just going in groups. It was safer and easier and we could get multiple things done at the same time.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

macdive1,this is one of the most commonsense and practical posts on this thread.

Great first post. Thanks for your story.

macdive1- What? No running gun battles with gangs of cannibals and pyromaniacs? No chance to find out if that uber-tactical assault rifle will really save your bacon when it is full of sand and epoxy?

Good post, most "survivalists" severely underestimate the need for good neighbors and allies. Most of the so-called survivalists I have known made poor neighbors and looked at everyone around them as potential enemies. They will be a self-perpetuating disaster if they ever are in a SHTF situation. Your account is a perfect example of what true survival is all about.

I agree. Tough as it was, it was still pretty local to the Gulf region.

Gotta make one think about what if it was a continent-wide, or wider.

It's one thing to hang on until help can get to you; it's another to know there's none coming..., or not know...

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave_</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You can learn a lot by studying how the Amish prepared for Y2K. They made sure all their animals and hand tools had upgraded software, so they made the transition without a hick-up. </div></div>

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Fascinating thread.

Fact: Every year in the US someone needs a survival kit and plan RIGHT NOW!

Fact: Most don't have them.

From the horrific fires in San Diego County to Katrina to Rodney King Riots, "localized" SHTF scenarios arise often. Some very large, others very small.

I am much more concerned about these smaller events, than 2012, TEOTWAWKI, or whatever.

Just my 2 cents,

Your Mileage May Vary,

BMT

This 2012 crap is getting old already. The Good Book says the Lord will come as a thief in the night. Nobody knows when its coming except for the Man upstairs. We are not promised another minute. Just enjoy each day here and thank God for giving us this day.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: countryboy300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This 2012 crap is getting old already. The Good Book says the Lord will come as a thief in the night. Nobody knows when its coming except for the Man upstairs. We are not promised another minute. Just enjoy each day here and thank God for giving us this day. </div></div>

You should shove your religion down some more peoples throats.

Scientists now say that we are most likely misinterpreting the Mayan calendar by as many as 20 years. So even if 2012 would happen. It won't happen in 2012.

KIDGLOCK, I'm not trying to get a religious debate started or push christianity on anyone. Your free to belief in who or whatever you want. I was just stating my views about the 2012 myth.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: countryboy300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This 2012 crap is getting old already. The Good Book says the Lord will come as a thief in the night. Nobody knows when its coming except for the Man upstairs. We are not promised another minute. Just enjoy each day here and thank God for giving us this day. </div></div>

AMEN BROTHER!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: countryboy300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">KIDGLOCK, I'm not trying to get a religious debate started or push Christianity on anyone. Your free to belief in who or whatever you want. I was just stating my views about the 2012 myth. </div></div>

I was stating MINE . See how that works ?? And yes you were/are pushing your Beliefs .

As to 2012 , its just another year . The real SHTF we face is a financial melt down like they had in Argentina . Google FerFal .

http://ferfal.blogspot.com/

Why in the fuck did you guys start talking about zombies? I hate zombies, they give me a bad feelings damn it.

It would be interesting to see what preparedness/survival books you folks enjoy. Some of mine are:
'Things Fall Apart' by Fred Heiser
'Patriots' by James Rawles
'One Second After' by William Forstchen

Yeah, just bought another pressure canner on ebay today!
Good price, and they might have 9 brand new ones left!
(Probably left from Y2K)

2012?
Shit, I thought it was going to end in 2011!

Give's me another year.

Personaly, I would rather go out with the bang, than live like a mad max.

Another theory is that the creator of the Mayan calendar just died, before he got any farther.

It happened in a Monty Python movie, so it is possible.

Can't wait to see how many are actually serious about this.

TC.

I would read such books when I was younger, and more as an info resource for high adventure Scouting programs.

Angier's <span style="font-style: italic">On Your Own In The Wilderness</span>, many of the Scouting individual skill handbooks, the Scout Field Book, and several works on Wilderness First Aid. Recently, some historic Scout handbooks from the opening shots of the 20th Century have become available, and they deal with ways of providing necessities that do not depend on modern technology and industrial production.

These are skills that I would have learned and developed regardless of any doomsaying, many simply as lesson material that can be passed on to younger generations, preserving the more traditional ways.

Preparedness is not about a specific threat, it's more about being the kind of person Heinlein recommends. Can you make soap? Can you make it only from farm commodities? Rope? Other often overlooked necessities?

We have Mennonites and Amish in fairly good concentration, farming in our surrounding countrysides. Their lifestyles vary in 'plainness' all the way from live horsepower to completely modern amenities. They have a family/community social interweave which puts modern life to shame in many aspects. I have been fortunate to be at least superficially accepted in their midst. We could all learn a lot from them, on this and other subjects.

I have a casual acquaintance whom I met during my work in Census 2000. I would probably never have met him in any other way. He lives a largely self sufficient, 19th century lifestyle in some outlying woods. I occasionally drop off some Pyrodex to him, and we have tea and conversation. He makes his living doing period accurate photography at Civil War re-enactments, and he travels from here and back to Gettysburg and other nearby regional battlefields. He has a full modern education, but decided to drop out several decades back.

These folks would hit the ground running, maybe even have very little inconvenience from outages that would be life threatening for most of us.

This tells me that emergency preparedness is something you do in advance, are good at before it becomes a real necessity, and is as much a matter of choices and attitudes as of anything else.

Like the Scoutmaster said, "Be prepared...". Like <span style="font-style: italic">this</span> Scoutmaster said, you're not prepared if you can't do it all right now.

Greg

A disaster could come at any time. Any year, any day. It could be either natural or manmade. The level and intensity may vary. Moral of the story...it's always a good idea to devote some time and energy to be prepared for what may come. Think in terms of diversifying your portfolio when investing. Too much effort spent preparing, or too much focus on any one scenario, is probably not wise in the bigger picture. But as many have already said, most folks probably would not last the first few days if society as we know it were to collapse.

You have to admit, this post has gotten a lot of interest and response.

I was skeptical about 2012 "disaster" myself. Just because the Mayan calendar ended with 2012 doesn't mean that will be the end of the world. After reading this thread I decided to do a little research and was alarmed with what I found.
I recieved a 2011 calendar for Christmas (with Harley Davidson motorcycles on it). Upon flipping to the last page of the calendar, I was horrified to see that the last day listed was December 31, 2011! It's not just the Mayans! This really is the end! What more proof does anyone need?

I have spoken to the bilderbergs and george soros
They told me that most of us have nothing to worry about
but you mr lwrc556 are going to a better place so please relax
and take the red pill.