• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Anyone re-barrel a MN?

Wannashootit

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
  • Sep 3, 2010
    FL
    I recently finished a 91/30 sporter. Came out nice- shortened/target crowned the barrel, shoots just over moa with handloads.

I want to do another, but with a new barrel. Has anyone had a blank threaded/chambered and installed in .308? It would be interesting to see what it would be capable of with a target bull barrel in .308...I'm tired of the limited availability of .311 bullets for the handloads...

Re: Anyone re-barrel a MN?

I'm doing one now, it's no big deal. Installing the barrel is easy,it's the bolt face that is the problem. It will have to be filled to machine it to fit the .308. Then you have to work the extractor,ejector and the interrupter. Best bet is fit a .308 bore barrel and chamber in 7.62x54 so you can use .308 bullets.

Have you tried shooting .308 bullets in your current Mosin? Mine shoots .308's pretty well (110gr TTSX). Try it out, you might be surprized.
    I also load .310 bullets intended for the 7.62x39. The 123gr Hornady SP's are great for Deer and smaller pigs

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jwSubMOA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm doing one now, it's no big deal. Installing the barrel is easy,it's the bolt face that is the problem. It will have to be filled to machine it to fit the .308. Then you have to work the extractor,ejector and the interrupter. Best bet is fit a .308 bore barrel and chamber in 7.62x54 so you can use .308 bullets. </div></div>

Yeah, that's what I have in mind. I see no reason to change the case, just want to have a wider selection of bullets to choose from. OTOH, brass is SO hard to find, being able to use .308 brass (which I already have for another rifle) would sure be a plus. The best Varget load for the MN with (.311) 174 SMK's- and our .308 Savage with 175 SMK's is identical at 43.5 grains. I usually end up buying Prvi ammo, then reloading the cases. I probably ought to just bite it and fork over a buck a case for the Lapua brass.

Dave, .308 bullets shoot like shit out of my rifle, bore slugs out at .311. It's very unusual for a 91/30 to shoot .308's well. I know some of the Finn's had smaller bores...

Big Noise,

I looked at the MG barrel route. Big job...the barrel needs to be turned down so as to even get it to fit into any stock, and then a "collar" needs to be made to hide the ugly shoulder. And in the end- it's still a machine gun barrel...

I'm thinking that if I were willing to go to that much expense (I don't have a lathe, so barrel work would need to be done by a smith)- I'd be better off getting a match-grade blank (Krieger, Benchmark, Shilen, etc.).

About 3 weeks ago i saw a place that was selling MG barrels that were all ready turned for a replacement barrel, they also had new heavy barrels. I just can't of the place i saw them but it was a small catalog i got in the mail. I will try and remember who was doing them. MM

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigNoise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check out these UK59 machine gun barrels. Would be a good route if you want to do a build on the cheap.

</div></div>

Building on the cheap sounds great. I think I am going to try one of these barrels and see if I can get a 1/2 MOA shooter for as cheap as possible.
    Might as well buy another $75 complete rifle to start with. Add the barrel for $80. Timney trigger for $100. Rework the stock etc myself. I could do this for under $300. If it doesnt shoot, who cares, dump the whole project.

If I was going to 'recaliber' an MN, I would do it in 6.5x54R which is same case, so bolt is same, but using the already good cartridge. Just resize 7.62 brass and load it up.
    Order an inexpensive ER Shaw blank- 125$ or so, rent the reamer, dies are available- easy loading etc.
    SHAZZAM!
    Newer and cooler.
    Russia beat Finland in winter Triathalon with this cartridge. Really cool.
    Might be food for thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Beef_Supreme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I was going to 'recaliber' an MN, I would do it in 6.5x54R which is same case, so bolt is same, but using the already good cartridge. Just resize 7.62 brass and load it up.
    Order an inexpensive ER Shaw blank- 125$ or so, rent the reamer, dies are available- easy loading etc.
    SHAZZAM!
    Newer and cooler.
    Russia beat Finland in winter Triathalon with this cartridge. Really cool.
    Might be food for thought. </div></div>

Just googled that...
    http://www.examiner.com/firearms-in-okla...-biathlon-rifle

Shit...what a hell of an idea...
    I read that you could push a 139 grain Scenar over 3,000 fps with that cartridge. Yowza...

Gonna dig around to see if I can actually find any load/ballisitcs data on this puppy.

How about that huh? smokin' badass there. I thought you guys might like that. It reallllllly is awesome. I'm 99.5% Positive Kiff has/will grind the reamers over at PTG.
    I'm liable to give one a shot myself, got some donor/bubbaed MN's laying around. Hmmm...............
    I hate it when I get something like this on my mind.