• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Anyone running a new model 70?

Jjm84

Private
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2008
PA
Thinking of picking up a new FN manufacture Model 70 Super Grade in 30-06. Will be primarily used as a hunting stick. I've got a couple Rem 700's, a CZ 550 and Savage but think it's about time to add a model 70 to the mix. What's the general consensus on the new models? How's the MOA trigger?

Re: Anyone running a new model 70?

I recently purchased a Winchester 70 CRF stealth 308. Looks very much like my FN SPR minus the chrome lined bore and 8x40 scope mount holes. The trigger is nice and crisp but I like the one on my SPR better. I have not made any adjustments to it yet and it feels to be around 4-4.5 pounds.

Accuracy... every bit as good as my factory Remington 308's... well below moa at 100 with good hand loads. I haven’t had a chance to shoot further, deer season got in the way...
smile.gif

Awesome chamber, tighter and shorter lead than the Remington’s. I can jam just about any bullet (designed for LR) into the lands if I choose too.

I just purchased the winchester model 70 featherweight deluxe in 270WSM. It will be my hunting stick. Topped it off with the Leupold 4.5-14 x 50 LR with the varmint retical. I have wanted a 270WSM. I just started loading for it so I don't know how it will shoot. From the advice from my dealer, he shoots one and raves over it. Once the weather breaks I will have some range reports on it.

I played witha new M70 featherweight and having quite a bit of experience with M70's, I have to say that I am very impressed with the quality of these new 70's. The CRF acrtions aren't usually all that slick, but the new actions are quite smooth. The trigger on the rifle was extremely crisp and broke at around 3.5 lbs. The wood stock fit the action perfectly and I believe the recoil pad was a decelerator which is a Huge improvement in a featherweight rifle over the old thin red,hard rubber pads. I have seen a number of articles claiming that the accuracy of these new 70's is sub moa. That's pretty good for an unbedded factory hunting stick IMO. I plan on purchasing one of these for next hunting season. The only negative is the choice of calibers. Ther are very few short action choices. Now if they mad a 260 or 6.5x55...maybe a 250 Savage, 257 roberts or 300 Savage...
smile.gif