• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors Anyone shot any Q company 30cal silencers

TexasEric

Private
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2017
Background:
I ordered my lower for my 300 SBR build last week. I want to order a suppressor and do all my NFA paperwork at the same time. I also own an AR in 308 that is fairly accurate.
The can will spend most of its time on the SBR, but will see use on both. It will be used as a range toy, a hunt or 2, and at carbine class when I get the chance.

I have my selection down to a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 or 9, and I am researching Q company. They have qd 30 cal cans on sell at silencer shop. Has anyone shot them? Does anyone have knowledge or experience with them. Good or bad, I would like to hear it.

Last edited:
I think the ultra series is the best on the market for precision rifles, but I also think you would be better served by something a little more durable on an SBR. It's a little soon for many reviews on the Q stuff, but I'm certain it's great. Check out the Dead Air lineup in the meantime.

Or the Omega. They are popular for a lot of really good reasons.

Reactions: rwest309
Got some new data in from both companies. The Q cans are looking good right now. I am going to try to arrange a demo with Thunderbeast and Q cans, for direct comparison. Not sure how that will go.
I will resurrect this thread when it happens, or after my purchase. Feel free to post more info!

Found another interesting suppressor

griffin armament sd-30

it seems to have better suppression numbers then an ultra 7 at the shooters ear and muzzle, it is heavier.

https://www.silencershop.com/griffin-armament-30-sd.html

Does anyone have any experience with these?

They sound good, but I have heard multiple horror stories about their customer service.

As others have said, TBAC seems to rule the roost when it comes to precision.

I have also found that I rarely notice a can sounding that different with any super sonic cartridge, especially out of an AR due to the action noise.

I found another can of interest Socom 300 sps made by surefire. Not a precision can, should be more than capable of taking abuse.
It metered impressively well on during range report.

https://youtu.be/o1xKaS7hAKY

anyone shoot one yet?

I found another can of interest Socom 300 sps made by surefire. Not a precision can, should be more than capable of taking abuse.
It metered impressively well on during range report.

https://youtu.be/o1xKaS7hAKY

anyone shoot one yet?

I wanted an SPS300, but by the time Surefire actually got it to their stocking dealers (more than a year from when they placed their order direct with SF?) I had picked up a can my dealer had in stock. They have one on the shelf now, seemed pretty light for its size vs the older 762RC I played with years ago.

Also, my SOCOM 556 carbon locks on every rifle host I have that wears the matching brake. Requires cleaning the brake after every time I shoot else I have to shoot the can off. Won't buy anymore SF SOCOM cans due to that.

I wanted an SPS300, but by the time Surefire actually got it to their stocking dealers (more than a year from when they placed their order direct with SF?) I had picked up a can my dealer had in stock. They have one on the shelf now, seemed pretty light for its size vs the older 762RC I played with years ago.

Also, my SOCOM 556 carbon locks on every rifle host I have that wears the matching brake. Requires cleaning the brake after every time I shoot else I have to shoot the can off. Won't buy anymore SF SOCOM cans due to that.
That sucks, I was worried about that with my Rugged Surge on my Tikka ctr 260. It keeps getting caked with carbon build up on the brake. It's got 1000 rounds worth of carbon on it now but I can still mount the can and remove it with ease. I've heard numerous times that people have issues with SF cans and the latch not releasing. I was considering a 300 sps until I heard of this.

The latch and collar can eventually get free, but the suppressor is REALLY stubborn to come off. Bonus points that it's impossible to handle while hot without some kind of nomex or FR glove because that's the best time to get it off.

The Q offerings are aesthetically unpleasing, but the QD shorty Ti can seems interesting. If I ever get back into stamps I might pick one up as I'd like something shorter and lighter than my SpecWar 762 since you're not getting total suppression of a supersonic rifle cartridge anyway. Shorter is handier, especially on a 26" rifle...

The latch and collar can eventually get free, but the suppressor is REALLY stubborn to come off. Bonus points that it's impossible to handle while hot without some kind of nomex or FR glove because that's the best time to get it off.

The Q offerings are aesthetically unpleasing, but the QD shorty Ti can seems interesting. If I ever get back into stamps I might pick one up as I'd like something shorter and lighter than my SpecWar 762 since you're not getting total suppression of a supersonic rifle cartridge anyway. Shorter is handier, especially on a 26" rifle...

Honestly, I went to my dealer and held most of the can I was interested in. The sig was a stand for the Q cans, it was pleasant to hold. Even got to hold the new DD WAVE from Daniel Defense. The dealer just got one in.

1st. OMG the Thunderbeast cans are AMAZINGLY light compared to EVERYTHING else!! They are really nice cans! You can tell they are worth there price. The ultra 7 is NICE!!!!

2. I know I don't want a 9 inch can, my barrel well be 8-9 inches long. The longest I am willing to go is 8 in. So I am going for maximum suppression, in an 8 in silencer.

3. I agree about the aesthetics of the Q can, but I am a function over form guy. So I am waiting to see how the Q cans review online with db #'s. Silencer shop told me they working on a range report now.

4. Sig SRD 7.62 is out, the Q can should be an improvement on it. They made the sig and know what they would like to do differently to improve.

5. Waiting on reviews for the DD wave as well. The ISM-r, or whatever there integrally suppressed gun was disappointing.

6 Didn't know about the carbon lock on the surefires. Hopefully the fixed it on the gen 2 socom suppressors and war comps. They specifically mentioned that on the advertising.

Last edited:
Anyone have more info to offer? I am looking for more data before I buy.

I am looking hard hard at the Q thunder chicken, Omega 30 cal, Surefire Socom 300 sps. And of course I am still looking at the Thunderbeast Ultra 7, that is a SUPER NICE can. OMG it is super light and well put together.

Reactions: Roscoe Bane
Sorry to resurrect this post as it is a little old but wanted to see if anyone has any experience with the Q suppressor line since then. I'm interested in the thunder chicken and the trash panda. I saw a post on Q's Instagram doing a side by side comparison with the omega and seems to beat it in all categories but I cant seem to find any reviews of the sound suppression they have.

This is the post I saw on Q's insta.

GSsIURV.png

Sorry to resurrect this post as it is a little old but wanted to see if anyone has any experience with the Q suppressor line since then. I'm interested in the thunder chicken and the trash panda. I saw a post on Q's Instagram doing a side by side comparison with the omega and seems to beat it in all categories but I cant seem to find any reviews of the sound suppression they have.

This is the post I saw on Q's insta.

GSsIURV.png

Thank you for posting this, I am more than just a little interested. My plan is to purchase a 30 cal suppressor at Christmas.

I am more than just a little interested. My plan is to purchase a 30 cal suppressor at Christmas.

Same here. I was set on getting the omega but I came across the thunder chicken and trash panda which both really caught my interest. I asked someone from Capitol Armory if he could compare the suppressors since I don't have any experience with any of them.

This was his response:

"Performance wise, the Omega 30 and the Panda are going to sound similar and the Chicken is going to perform better than the Omega.

The Q products are going to be lighter (all titanium) and the SilencerCo products are going to offer more mounting solutions with removable end caps. Both offer the same great warranty.

I don't think you would be disappointed with either. If maximum suppression is your primary concern and you want one of these three, go thunder chicken. If you want something short, you could go

Omega with the flat end cap or if think you may buy something with a non-standard mount, again go Omega."

We don't EDM our bores. We just build them straight.

I appreciate that you don't Ray.
That's why TBAC and SilencerCo (one material suppressors like the Saker and Omega #K), along with Area 419, will continue to get my business.
The Qs have a conical shape to their exit hole, and if the EDM bore cuts into that, makes it asymmetrical.
Just like you don't want the crown of your barrel to have imperfections, I suspect that this would also have a negative effect on accuracy.

Last edited:
We don't EDM our bores. We just build them straight.

I have also never seen you try to make your product look good by trashing another... I don't put much faith in the comparison that one company does to another when they are obviously biased to their product. Having shot AAC products in the past I do appreciate that they (with their trendy new name and packaging) have now decided to EDM their bores, this should help with the 6 moa poi shift they are known for!

After seeing this picture I was tempted to throw a toilet paper roll on the ground next to a Q suppressor and do a quick comparison. The roll is lighter, shorter and made with one continuous seam instead of multiple. It is also a tried and true design that has lasted ages... My point is don't be fooled by misdirection, if Mr. Lambo is really producing a superior product then let the consumers and non biased reviewers do the comparisons.

I appreciate that you don't Ray.
That's why TBAC and SilencerCo (one material suppressors like the Saker and Omega #K), along with Area 419, will continue to get my business.
The Qs have a conical shape to their exit hole, and if the EDM bore cuts into that, makes it asymmetrical.
Just like you don't want the crown of your barrel to have imperfections, I suspect that this would also have a negative effect on accuracy.
EDM ensures that the face of the front end cap is symmetrical and that the bore of the silencer matches the bore of the rifle. Tapers and not using shims and washers also help with alignment. Shims and washers used to align muzzles cause some degree and misalignment due to tolerance stacking.Taperson the barrels and mounting systems help with alignment. The bullet passing closer to one side of a baffle or end cap than the other is detrimental to accuracy and POI shift.

I have also never seen you try to make your product look good by trashing another... I don't put much faith in the comparison that one company does to another when they are obviously biased to their product. Having shot AAC products in the past I do appreciate that they (with their trendy new name and packaging) have now decided to EDM their bores, this should help with the 6 moa poi shift they are known for!

After seeing this picture I was tempted to throw a toilet paper roll on the ground next to a Q suppressor and do a quick comparison. The roll is lighter, shorter and made with one continuous seam instead of multiple. It is also a tried and true design that has lasted ages... My point is don't be fooled by misdirection, if Mr. Lambo is really producing a superior product then let the consumers and non biased reviewers do the comparisons.

That's "Mr. Lamborghini". Only douches say "Lambo".

Science and engineering exist for a reason. A PVD finish is better than paint, it doesn't scratch or burn off. EDM bores are straight. It's the most precise way to cut metal. Using a 360 degree muzzle brake eliminates shims and washers for mounting. Shims and washers have tolerances that cause misalignment. Tapered shoulders on barrels provide better alignment than 90 degree shoulders. This also aids in proper alignment. Robotic welding is more consistent and generally stronger than hand welding silencers. This allows us to remove the heavy outer tube and have more internal volume. That's better for sound, back pressure, and mirage. Putting the threads on the muzzle brake behind the taper does not allow for gases, copper, and carbon fouling get to the threads, causing them to stick. This is better for easy removal after use and provides a better likelihood of proper installation.

Background:
I ordered my lower for my 300 SBR build last week. I want to order a suppressor and do all my NFA paperwork at the same time. I also own an AR in 308 that is fairly accurate.
The can will spend most of its time on the SBR, but will see use on both. It will be used as a range toy, a hunt or 2, and at carbine class when I get the chance.

I have my selection down to a Thunderbeast Ultra 7 or 9, and I am researching Q company. They have qd 30 cal cans on sell at silencer shop. Has anyone shot them? Does anyone have knowledge or experience with them. Good or bad, I would like to hear it.
TBAC is a great choice. I believe we offer some difference...EDM bore, PVD finish, better sound performance, lighter weight, and tapered brakes that don't require timing shims or washers.

Reactions: JeffLebowski
The millenial gun crowd will eat that up and soon enough they will all have matching sleeve tats, tunnel earrings, and Ruger precision rifles equipped with Athlon scopes and trash panda silencers.

If we don’t grow our lifestyle, we will all lose out. I’m sure the baby boomers look down upon you as well, but one must endeavor to see the bigger picture. Also, GenX forever! :D

As much as I love Qs current offerings, that graphic is a little misleading. With a flat end cap and use the direct thread or Area 419 QD mount the Omega is in the 5.8-6in added range past the muzzle. And when using said setup, it also ends up a bit lighter than the Trash Panda when you add in the weight of the mounts.

Of course the Q Trash Panda is a newer, better design which offers a number of improvements not the least of which being increased sound reduction to the shooter. But it cannot be as short or a light as the Omega can.

Kevin, any chance at a shorter .30cal QD version at some point? Also while you are posting here, do you have any thoughts on the Delta P Designs Brevis II suppressors?

As much as I love Qs current offerings, that graphic is a little misleading. With a flat end cap and use the direct thread or Area 419 QD mount the Omega is in the 5.8-6in added range past the muzzle. And when using said setup, it also ends up a bit lighter than the Trash Panda when you add in the weight of the mounts.

Of course the Q Trash Panda is a newer, better design which offers a number of improvements not the least of which being increased sound reduction to the shooter. But it cannot be as short or a light as the Omega can.

Kevin, any chance at a shorter .30cal QD version at some point? Also while you are posting here, do you have any thoughts on the Delta P Designs Brevis II suppressors?
I think you are incorrect about the weight of the Omega compared to the Trash Panda. The Trash Panda and Cherry Bomb muzzle brake combined are still a 1/2 ounce lighter than the Omega in thread mount configuration and flat end cap.

The Trash Panda is .30 and QD. Not sure if you mean even shorter, but if so, we are not currently considering it.

I don't have any experience with Delta P silencers, but I'm not opposed to what their website says they are doing. I doubt that their line up is all hearing safe based on the listed sizes. I would also prefer if the shoulders were 90 degree and tapered.

That's "Mr. Lamborghini". Only douches say "Lambo".

Science and engineering exist for a reason. A PVD finish is better than paint, it doesn't scratch or burn off. EDM bores are straight. It's the most precise way to cut metal. Using a 360 degree muzzle brake eliminates shims and washers for mounting. Shims and washers have tolerances that cause misalignment. Tapered shoulders on barrels provide better alignment than 90 degree shoulders. This also aids in proper alignment. Robotic welding is more consistent and generally stronger than hand welding silencers. This allows us to remove the heavy outer tube and have more internal volume. That's better for sound, back pressure, and mirage. Putting the threads on the muzzle brake behind the taper does not allow for gases, copper, and carbon fouling get to the threads, causing them to stick. This is better for easy removal after use and provides a better likelihood of proper installation.

Radial brakes kinda of suck when shooting prone...

Reactions: Bender
So Kevin which can from your line up do you recommend for a precision rifle the Full Nelson or the Thunder Chicken? Main goal is sounds suppression.

Reactions: DHwreckage
So Kevin which can from your line up do you recommend for a precision rifle the Full Nelson or the Thunder Chicken? Main goal is sounds suppression.

I mean I don't think you can go wrong with either, I doubt you will see much difference between the two. Just personal preference on DT vs QD.

Tagging in. Local silencer shop really likes the trash panda. In his words, compared to the tbac ultra 7, it’s very similar performance, and is like getting your stamp for free with the savings.

I’m not even a rookie in the suppressor game, have only been around a 22 with one on it. That’s it. But am looking to dive in. So, again, this is not from experience, hoping somebody out there can shed some more light on the ultra 7 vs trash panda conversation, as the panda with 2 breaks included seems like a steal as it’d be about the same price as a harvester with 2 thread adapters, and, on paper, looks to be a lot more for your money

Reactions: matt2143
My understanding is TBAC 7 vs. Q is that the Q is going to have less back pressure. On a bolt gun that doesn't mean much, but on a semi-auto that means a lot better at the ear suppression numbers.

My understanding is TBAC 7 vs. Q is that the Q is going to have less back pressure. On a bolt gun that doesn't mean much, but on a semi-auto that means a lot better at the ear suppression numbers.
Taper Mount, PVD finish, EDM bore, 30%-50% more internal volume, back pressure, quieter, less back pressure,

For a long-stroke piston rifle like a PWS, which would offer the greatest sound suppression to the shooters ear? I have considered the Trash Panda, Omega, MaxFlo, and Sandman S. TBAC is not in the running currently because I will be doing a decent amount of rapid fire, not quite mag dumps though.

Taper Mount, PVD finish, EDM bore, 30%-50% more internal volume, back pressure, quieter, less back pressure,
Interesting. Why the DT over QD? I think I read somewhere that TBAC Ray recommended the QD when queried with a similar question about TBAC's lineup.

For a long-stroke piston rifle like a PWS, which would offer the greatest sound suppression to the shooters ear? I have considered the Trash Panda, Omega, MaxFlo, and Sandman S. TBAC is not in the running currently because I will be doing a decent amount of rapid fire, not quite mag dumps though.
Trash Panda

Interesting. Why the DT over QD? I think I read somewhere that TBAC Ray recommended the QD when queried with a similar question about TBAC's lineup.
The Full Nelson is a little longer, therefore a little quieter than even the Thunder Chicken. QD makes no sense for a precision application when you have a taper DT option. The muzzle device in a QD set up adds unnecessary tolerance stack between the rifle muzzle and silencer.

Reactions: RickyRodney
Trash Panda

I saw some debate over on the ar15com forum about the barrel restriction on the trash panda and thunder chicken. There was email from Q recommending 11.5 inch barrels or greater for 5.56. Someone else stated that on Q's instagram they said there were no barrel restrictions for 5.56.

Was there any further testing done to determine the shorter length 5.56 barrels would be good to go on the suppressors? I ended up going with the thunderchicken as my first suppressor, just genuinely curious.

I saw some debate over on the ar15com forum about the barrel restriction on the trash panda and thunder chicken. There was email from Q recommending 11.5 inch barrels or greater for 5.56. Someone else stated that on Q's instagram they said there were no barrel restrictions for 5.56.

Was there any further testing done to determine the shorter length 5.56 barrels would be good to go on the suppressors? I ended up going with the thunderchicken as my first suppressor, just genuinely curious.
We just decided to remove all restrictions of barrel length, etc. Our silencers are tough. They are the best. We aren't fucking around.

Tough choice between Q suppressors Trahs Panda and the sig srd762ti-qd. I really like how the suppressor attaches. Any recommendations?

Tough choice between Q suppressors Trahs Panda and the sig srd762ti-qd. I really like how the suppressor attaches. Any recommendations?
We designed both, the Trash Panda more recently. I don't think that there is a better silencer for most applications.