• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

AR-15 - Looking for Top Accuracy

Re: AR-15 - Looking for Top Accuracy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Randall responded back. He says he does not know when he will resume taking barrel orders, being so busy with routine work.

- Phil </div></div>

So, does that mean you are giving up on your project?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Sig685</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phil3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Randall responded back. He says he does not know when he will resume taking barrel orders, being so busy with routine work.

- Phil </div></div>

So, does that mean you are giving up on your project? </div></div>

No, not at all. Fact is, I purchased some tools and plan to build more than one (AR). Wife has an interest in one. And I wish to make another in 6.5 Grendel or possibly .204 Ruger. And then there is the AR-10 build.

Insofar as a barrel is concerned, I have received considerable information, which I need to sort out to make an informed decision on bullets, twist, and chambering. The first two I can make educated decisions on now thanks to help here and from bullet makers, but the chamberings are over my head. A message from Compass Lake reads as follows and makes my point.

We don't stock 1-9 twist barrels and Krieger tends to run on approximately 16 weeks for delivery. A 1-7 twist, or 1-7.7 or a 1-8 twist barrel will shoot 59 gr bullets up to 80 gr and be a more versatile barrel.

We use our own Compass Lake chamber, particularly for Krieger barrels. It is similar to SAMMI spec, but has a 1.5 degree taper rather than the sharper 3 degree taper. It was designed by Frank and the folks at JGS to optimize life of the barrel and accuracy. The primary reason for buying a Krieger barrel is because it is a cut-rifled barrel and the life tends to be greater than other barrels. I'd suggest if you want a Wylde or NATO chamber, to go
with a Douglas barrel. You're going to lose a lot of the barrel life when you cut those two chambers and the accuracy of the Douglas barrel is excellent.

Well, I don't know who "Frank" is, much less JGS, or know what a change in taper from 1.5 degree to 3.0 degrees does for me. But I'll find out and use the info to make best choices.

- Phil

Well good for you.

At Compass Lake, Frank White is the big Cheese, and at White Oak, they have John Hollinger. It seems everybody has their chamber design and they make claims about superior accuracy, longer barrel life, more intense love life, or what have you.

While I am partial to Krieger's cut rifling method (I think it's more accurate in the rifling,) I have not fallen for the belief that it makes for longer barrel life. Also, some people believe that cold hammer forged rifled barrels have a longer life.

Will an almost imperceptible increase of 1.5 degree of taper dramatically reduce barrel life? Maybe so, maybe not. Where is the proof? Or better yet, define barrel life.

This is where we get into the voodoo area of rifles, with claims and counter-claims, which is why I brought it up. Compass Lake has a great reputation, as does White Oak, and certainly Krieger. To be honest, I seriously doubt there is much difference between the various chambers in terms of barrel life or accuracy, with the caveat that if you want to use longer bullets, you must have the longer leade. What is more important is the concentricity of the chamber to the bore. The best chamber in the world will not make an accurate rifle if it's not cut properly in relation to the bore.

Yes, Krieger has a long wait for barrels, they always seem to quote 16 weeks. But once you get in the queue, things sometimes happen to make it go faster.

In my case, I was quoted 16 weeks. I kept my upper until the barrel was ready and they called about 6 weeks after I placed the order and said the barrel was ready, send the upper. I got it back about 3 weeks after I sent it. I put it on my lower and never looked back.

I am sure White Oak and Compass Lake would do a great job also. It's nice to have choices, but sometimes one can over-analyze an issue.

Good luck.