• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AR10 barrel length ?

Re: AR10 barrel length ?

I've seen guys shoot out past 1,000 yards with a 14.5 inch barrel. I have an 18 but would probably go with a 16 when/ if I shoot this barrel out. Get the shortest you think you can get away with.

After I decided I was going Noveske, the good people of the hide convinced me to go 18". I thought I wanted a 21" but couldn't find one anywhere. It's handy, portable and, even with the Sandstorm on, not that long. GO 18" and you'll thank everyone who recommended it to ya.

Pic added:
AR-10.jpg

I run an 18.5" and have had great results out to 800 yds. It lessen some weight and makes it a more versatile length weapon IMHO

I am conducting an experiment that is outside the box. I am using a 14.5" barrel, on a piston driven AR (the horror)... and it's not even free floating.

What I intended to do was to use a very short platform, and see if I could get acceptable accuracy out of it, to be deployable as a Law Enforcement Precision Rifle.

I am findinig out, that the rifle does everything I ask it to do, with applomb.

With a 14.5" barrel, and a precision rifle compensator, I get an average velocity at the muzzle of 2540 fps with Federal Gold Medal Match 168 Grain SMK.

I have consistently hit 12" steel at 800 yards and in with it, and in real life "deployment" distances... I am able to make T Zone shots with it at 200 to 250 yards and in.

The rifle is more accurate than I am. That's for sure.

The only thing I am worried about, that I have not done yet, is intermediate barrier testing... vehicle windshields, etc...

I would second the masses here. For most practical shooting, I would suggest an 18" AR-10... no more than a 20".

Best of luck with your choices Brother... there are tons of people on here that know their way around an AR-10 platform.

Cheers!

I have a 18", but am in need of a re-barreling soon and might go with the 20" Kreiger M110 service rifle barrel.

I've come to the opinion that the best all-around barrel length for the .308WIN that facilitates decent velocity and portability is in the 16-18 inch range. Like DMack, I am running a POF 14.5" through it's paces, and once I get a few bugs worked out I'm sure it will be a solid 800yd performer.

I won't go less than 20" in my three .308 ARMALITE
AR-10s.

One is a classic 24" 10T that will probably become
a 24" Bartlein 6.5 Creedmoor within the next six
months topped off with the SH Group Buy SS 5-20x50.

The 20" 10A4 has less than 40rds through
it and my brother shot 5/8" and 7/8" groups when
July showed up. The 20" 10T is virgin. Still
deciding on a LT-158 or NF Unimount for the NF 5.5-22x50
that's been laying around since May or June.

I would accept a Bartlein 18" with a can if I ever get
into tactical competition.

Yeah, I know. No help from this guy.

Ive got the 26" floating Bull on my RRA. I had 2 1/2" groups today at 500 yards. Im shooting my handloads. 168 grain sierra BTHP 46 grains of Varget. can easily push it out past 1000 yds, but its a heavy weight....dont plan on carrying it for much distance.

18.5 MEGA MA-Ten w/JP recoil eliminator & SW Ammo 175's standard winn brass
8"-10" gongs @ 1k-1018yds no problem

20" here, but could be talked into a 21" or even an 18" next time. Mine goes from house to range and back. Not carrying it for hunting or alike. If I were, I'd opt for 16"-18". Don't just look at length, look at profile/diameter as well as balance. All those factors come into play when deciding on a build or new barrel for your existing.

Hawk is right! I would likely stick with my 18.5" barrel but would not keep a bull barrel next time. The tactical bolt gun shooter got the best of me on that part of my build

I just built a 26" barrel 6X47 Lapua with an extended gas system (2"). Cycles very smoothly but I haven't had a chance to get it on paper yet.

For mostly precision work, I would go 18" If I was gonna also do a little run and gun with it I might go 16"...

Another vote for a mid weight contoured, 18 inch tube on a .308 gas gun. Mine has been to 1000 yards, though some optics mount in 20 MOA flavor will be benificial if not necessary.

18" Noveske Does the Job for me I can launch 190's at 2600 and 150's at 3000FPS...CAN shift is 1.5MOA 6 oclock every time...Pounds steel at 600 yards in .5-.7 MOA ...Kills things DRT...

Its a heavy weapon,add Scopes Lights Bipods Any extra Items you may need and we are 14lbs easy...A light barrel around 16" would be nice and shed me a pound or so,But I know CAN shift will increase heat may effect accuracy sooner,But Honeslty I dont do rapid shoots with this weapon 3-4 rounds is average Per session and 600 yards max.If I didnt have the CAN or didnt need the CAN on there I would Go 16" Light contour for me,I have other weapons system's for Long range.My Noveke MA-10 is more than up to the task on 1k Duty,But its set up diffrently..

imageidz.jpg

Reality is short barrel 308 with less Kit will get the Job done in Hands That know how to use there Equipment...I have like experiance with standard weapons that do things wilh less Kit...Glad to know I am not alone.. <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am conducting an experiment that is outside the box. I am using a 14.5" barrel, on a piston driven AR (the horror)... and it's not even free floating.

What I intended to do was to use a very short platform, and see if I could get acceptable accuracy out of it, to be deployable as a Law Enforcement Precision Rifle.

I am findinig out, that the rifle does everything I ask it to do, with applomb.

With a 14.5" barrel, and a precision rifle compensator, I get an average velocity at the muzzle of 2540 fps with Federal Gold Medal Match 168 Grain SMK.

I have consistently hit 12" steel at 800 yards and in with it, and in real life "deployment" distances... I am able to make T Zone shots with it at 200 to 250 yards and in.

The rifle is more accurate than I am. That's for sure.

The only thing I am worried about, that I have not done yet, is intermediate barrier testing... vehicle windshields, etc...

I would second the masses here. For most practical shooting, I would suggest an 18" AR-10... no more than a 20".

Best of luck with your choices Brother... there are tons of people on here that know their way around an AR-10 platform.

Cheers! </div></div>

Nice Rifle! What twist barrel are ytou running? My Rock 1:11.27 and Tikka 1:11 do not seem to like the 178 A max but both love the 168 A Max and 175 SMK's

@ Branson, thanks. 16.5” heavy contour, fluted, 1:10 twist from Rock Creek. I'll try the 168 AMAX. It does seem to like Hornady 168 BTHP out to 600M and change. After that its a terd with the ammo I have used to date. Someone else suggested TSX 168. Made some at 39grs of H4895 for a starting load, and waiting to try them out.

I just got a 21in Noveske N6, but I'm probably gonna end up getting it cut back to 18 and thinking about having it fluted. I seriously doubt I'll ever shoot out to 1k - No ranges anywhere near me that are that far. It'll just make it a tad bit lighter and little more maneuverable.

Personally I'd say go either 16 or 18 in.
DSC_3346.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DMack</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

</div></div>

That is impressive velocity with a 14.5" tube...
What type of barrel is that?

Reactions: Joel Patton