• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

AR10 Charging handle recommendation??

Stevo3556

Texas
Minuteman
Apr 10, 2017
Houston, Texas
I have a 1st gen GAP-10 in 260 and would like to replace the chagrinning handle with something that is wider and therefore easier to charge the bolt with a big scope hanging off the back.

I have read that there is no standard for AR10's, so I could buy one and it not fit. Am I correct that I need to buy the DPMS style?

Which one do you like?

Thanks for your help!

Steve

If it's DPMS style, the Vltor/BCM Gunfighter is a good option.

I wish Strike Industries would make a latchless charging handle like they do for the AR15.

Reactions: Stevo3556
Without question the raptor charging handles are the way to go.

I had a couple of those for AR15, one all aluminum, one the cheap plastic coated version. I wasn't impressed so I sold them and used the money to buy three Strike Industries latchless charging handles.

They just felt flimsy but the Strike has no latch cuts to bend or break, it just feels more solid to me which is why I wish they made if for LR308.

And there is no proprietary ArmaLite or DPMS pattern charging handles. Large frame charging handles are all the same.

There are few out there that have some strange proprietary designs but as far as your GAP-10 is concerned 1st or 2nd Gen, you are good to go with any large frame charging handle LR308/AR10/SR25 all good.

here's a little something that goes into detail about the different large frame platforms it's a good read and should help you in the future.

Last edited:
Thank you all for the help and the clarification on the compatibility.

I really appreciate all the great and very quick help with my question!

I'll do a little shopping for these suggestions and order one this week.

Steve

Thank you all for the help and the clarification on the compatibility.

I really appreciate all the great and very quick help with my question!

I'll do a little shopping for these suggestions and order one this week.

Steve

Well if you decide to go with the Raptor Ambi this is the best price I've seen on them in a long time. $65

Big Jake,

Thanks for even sending the link!

I opened the link and I already had one in the basket from reading some reviews earlier today and then shopping for price. I was already to pay when I thought I should ask people who have actually used them first and posted the question here.

Thank you

Steve

Reactions: bigjake83
other quality LR-308 CH's not mentioned are the Badger Ordnance 76260 (ambi), and the Rainier Avalanche (ambi). I also have the Raptor and the Geissele SCH 7.62 ambi CH's, but prefer the Badger and the Avalanche, especially under a scope.

Thank you all.

Was outta town the last several days. Hope to have a look at all the suggestions and get one headed this way tomorrow.

Steve

Geissele makes a decent one
Raptor is the standard
My POF tomahawk is meh.
Griffin arms makes one
Check out Raineir Avelanche it looks badass.

All time favorite is Blackhawk ambi
latchless but i think its only for AR15.

After trying a few brands.. I keep coming back to the Raptor.

It just flat out works how I want a charging handle to work.

I use the Falkor Mach 10 because the scope was obstructing the KAC charging handle. It's wide and ambidextrous.

P1010012.JPG

PRI Gasbusters, FTW!

Seriously, I use them on almost all my rifles. The exception is a factory Noveske and a KAC that came with their own, nice charging handles. But the Gasbuster is the only way to go if you use suppressors. Every little bit helps! With the "combat latch" they have a large, easy to grab and operate pull with good purchase and they work fine one handed. They ain't cheap, but they're worth it.

You've gotta go with a raptor charging handle. It's ambidextrous and is extremely easy to maintain a grip when charging. I have one on my AR10 and it makes life a hell of a lot easier.

Geissele SCH 7.62 is on both my Mega Maten uppers. Works as well as my PRI gas buster on my Mk12 and is ambidextrous. Clears my objective bells just fine. Very smooth operating, well made piece of gear.