• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are the FN SPR enthusiasts extinct?

See if yours is a badger base or near, then contact them. They will make it right.
It very well could be the rail is cut correct but the mount interface on the rifle side is wide forcing the tooth of the rail to cotton out before the clamp engages. That make sence?
Width should be 0.617 +0.000 -.010

Last edited:
Took the rail completely off my rifle and there are no marks anywhere. Top bottom or sides. I found on the badger ordinance website a spec sheet for the rail and mine matches all the dimensions on the sheet. While I was at it I tried a set of leupold prw2 34mm medium rings to see if they fit and they fit perfectly.

This is the rail.

Attachments

• A7A25F54-B71E-43B8-8FB3-41A697757ED5.jpeg
    A7A25F54-B71E-43B8-8FB3-41A697757ED5.jpeg
    456.5 KB · Views: 72
  • 3703AB9D-7CA4-49FB-86ED-A36FDE4BEF35.jpeg
    3703AB9D-7CA4-49FB-86ED-A36FDE4BEF35.jpeg
    445.6 KB · Views: 73
Yes, that looks exactly like the unmarked rails on my more recent vintage XP versions, it certainly appears that that’s an original FN supplied base.

@MTS308

That is not a Badger rail.
If it was the part number and Badger Ordnance would be on top.
Also the lugs on top of the rail do not cross the rail L-R continuous.
The center is milled out forward all the way aft, where the mounting screws go and where the other information is.
P/N 306-06SPR
I hope this helps.
Best regards,
Chet

Reactions: MTS308
@MTS308

That is not a Badger rail.
If it was the part number and Badger Ordnance would be on top.
Also the lugs on top of the rail do not cross the rail L-R continuous.
The center is milled out forward all the way aft, where the mounting screws go and where the other information is.
P/N 306-06SPR
I hope this helps.
Best regards,
Chet
I had noticed on their website how the rail was milled out in the center and said badger ordinance. I may just have to try to get my hands on a badger rail and try it.

Reactions: moosemeat
4E305281-F803-4DEE-B1FA-DCA9FCA6F140.jpeg
Of course it’s not a Badger rail….. here’s a picture of one of my FN supplied XP rails, unmarked/no numbering. It appears to be identical to the OP’s rail.

Been looking around all night for a badger rail. All out of stock or discontinued. May give badger ordinance a call later and see if they still make them

The Model 70 short action rail may fit.

When you call Badger, it would be worth asking if it’s true the SPR rail has been discontinued.

The manual in the box says a standard model 70 base will not fit the spr. Not sure why. I may compare my spr to my featherweight when I get home and see why.

19C62A75-7201-4A30-970D-432C206C9B2E.jpeg
There’s a NEAR base on Gun Broker, see pic. (As far as standard M70 bases, remember the SPR has larger screws)

I talked to someone at badger today and they said they will have a batch of rails ready to go in 3-4 weeks. Out for parkerizing right now. Also said the Winchester 70 bases will not work on the spr because of base height difference between the spr and the model 70s.

Reactions: CO00Z
I've been running the ptg bottom metal with aics mags and it's been 100% even in matches. It's not my favorite design but we don't really have many choices since cdi is no more.

Quick question if you don't mind:

I have an A3G and am looking to finally upgrade it to a DBM.
Is this the correct Bottom Metal from PT&G?
Winchester Model 70 and Older FN Police SPR (SA) Stealth DBM and 4267W Mag

I've noticed that the "nose" of the bottom metal on my A3G isn't quite exactly the same shape as the one from PT&G.
Will the PT&G bottom metal require removing a bit of stock material?
How does one typically go about this? A chisel/file and some patience?

spr-bottom.jpeg

I talked to someone at badger today and they said they will have a batch of rails ready to go in 3-4 weeks. Out for parkerizing right now. Also said the Winchester 70 bases will not work on the spr because of base height difference between the spr and the model 70s.
If that doesn't work, this is the rail that's currently on my SPR

Reactions: MTS308
I found and ordered a .264 Brux barrel, 8 twist, 27", M24 contour at Southern Precision Rifles today. Have an A1 that just won't shoot consistently, so I'm going to turn it into another 6.5x47 (long story).

Going to have Matt Stewart of Stewart Rifles chamber and screw it on for me. The last 6.5x47 he did for me on my FN SPR A2 runs a Krieger barrel and is hammering with virgin brass (albeit Lapua) and I couldn't be happier.

I've noticed that the "nose" of the bottom metal on my A3G isn't quite exactly the same shape as the one from PT&G.

View attachment 7897767
That looks like the one but try giving them a call. You may accidentally get someone who knows what they are talking about. My FN has the square ish bottom metal that takes the wide mouth.

Reactions: Keystones
Yeah I told myself the time to buy an SPR has past unless I found a “perfect” one.

Was going to just do a Tikka build. But as some of us do, I was casually scrolling the PX and came across an A1a, factory trigger, A3 stock, CDI metal, a few AICS mags, and a Steiner T5Xi as a packaged unit. All I will need to do is a few stock modifications to make it functional for me. Hope to get it Monday and will post pics of it then.

Twin Perfection :)

Maybe it's time to take them out for their first rodeo!

A20I0544.JPG

Yeah I told myself the time to buy an SPR has past unless I found a “perfect” one.

Was going to just do a Tikka build. But as some of us do, I was casually scrolling the PX and came across an A1a, factory trigger, A3 stock, CDI metal, a few AICS mags, and a Steiner T5Xi as a packaged unit. All I will need to do is a few stock modifications to make it functional for me. Hope to get it Monday and will post pics of it then.

Had my SPR out a couple weekends ago Shot her at 100, 200, 368, and 500 yards. She didn't disapoint. 5 shots at 100 were in one hole (orange target). Had the same thing going on at 200 but I blew it. 368 and 500 weren't bad, under MOA anyway.

Attachments

• 20220610_114137.jpg
    20220610_114137.jpg
    245.5 KB · Views: 52
  • 20220610_114011.jpg
    20220610_114011.jpg
    281 KB · Views: 49
Monday can’t get here fast enough… feel like a kid waiting for Christmas.

View attachment 7897767
From what I recall when I ordered my DBM from PT&G last year, there were two different choices, square or round. Mine is like yours so I ordered the round. Fit perfectly so I didn't have to do any inletting at all. Feeds good, so I am a happy customer. Ordered an extra mag that took several months to get here. Just looked at their site and only see the round now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Keystones
Here are pics from when I bought it a year ago. It was NOS (I way overpaid) and I put 40 rounds through it. I just don't shoot this enough. I have three other 308s. I also bought two additional 5 round mags for it.

pix168895101.jpg
pix425803155.jpg
pix473995861.jpg
pix876579764.jpg
pix925096193.jpg
LjTdey7.jpg
pix168895101.jpgpix425803155.jpgpix473995861.jpgpix876579764.jpgpix925096193.jpg

View attachment 7897767
The one you linked doesn't accept AICS mags, only a 5 shot single stack style mag that no one really uses. It may fit with minimal material removal. The square nose metal is what takes AICS mags and requires CNC inletting from a gunsmith.

485A3618-C3BE-48D4-B8BD-831412DD60C9.jpeg

I think I have already dry fired this about 200 times in the past hour. Extremely pleased with it. Now I just need to add two left side flush cups, a bipod pic rail, and a RRS tripod rail. Thought the LOP would be an issue, but after playing with a few positions, I think it’ll be ok.

@future_sniper sold me this package with 3 10 round metal mags (1 AI + 2 Accurate Mags) and 2 5 round PMAGs, definitely appreciative.

Any tips on inserting a mag? I’m used to AW, AR, and pistol mags easily thrown in the mag well, and this seems to take a bit more effort.

The one you linked doesn't accept AICS mags, only a 5 shot single stack style mag that no one really uses. It may fit with minimal material removal. The square nose metal is what takes AICS mags and requires CNC inletting from a gunsmith.
My PT&G DBM fit the factory inlet and takes AICS.

Has anyone had the TBM metal NOT drop into a DBM gun? Mind you, it was built by GAP and I think they rebedded it so the bedding may be more expansive, I don't know what a factory FN mcmillan bedding job looks like.

I think I've determined that somewhere my TBM metal (that's been sitting here for years) is hanging up, the cartridges and magazine just sit too low to be picked up by the bolt. But, I'm can't tell what the specific cause is, the mags also rattle around quite a bit and I suspect that's related.

Well some dude walked into the shop that I part time at and wanted to sell this thing. Only paid $1100. He had the original FN data book with it that showed a .338 group from the factory and he had only put 373 rounds through it. Obviously the scope has to go. And I'm hoping the muzzle threads are compatible with a TBAC brake.

Attachments

• SPR.jpg
    SPR.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 99