• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are the FN SPR enthusiasts extinct?

When I ordered, I had the option for either if I remember correctly. Or, they had both for sale in the A1 rifle.

They had both, but the DBM sold out quickly with the A1/A2. They also had a smith at the time that would do any add ons you could think of (flutting, bolt knob, threading) but he retired and that went away.

These were great deals at the time. Sold mine to my Uncle. I guess Taccord folded up shop?

Yes that is my question. It looks like maybe a a1a with a3g bottom metal. This raises my question might a collector want it as it seems to be fired very little if any. Maybe some got out as a in be tween.

Hoping action guy would chime in. He seems to know more than anybody.

A1A’s came with the barrel flutted.

4F0B640C-2A84-4F33-A409-6832A1223AF9.jpeg

If there is nothing special about it the I am going to use it. Just didn’t want to mess up a nice specimen to make a shooter out of.

I recently picked up a PBR in the PX. It is the XP with a 20" fluted barrel, but the Hogue overmolded stock.

It's on its way to my FFL now.

Other than the stock not being a McMillan, can someone tell me what the other differences are between the PBR and the SPR?

I think the PBR doesn't have a chrome lined barrel, is that correct?

Thats it. Different markings, same action.

Some non SPR action are not true CRF actions, though the PBRs should be CRF assuming a .473” or magnum bolt face.

Since we been talking about the spr I picked up the other day I thought I would post some pictures of one in progress.

A1 from 2002 or 2003. Had 24” barrel.
Now has 22” proof, 6.5 creed sitting in Manners mcs t with original 4 round mag and bottom metal.
Once I got pillars cut and barreled action with bottom metal positioned in stock there was about 3/16 gap between tang and stock. I filled with devcon and shaped.

Still got to go to paint. Base color will match scope with subdued second and third colors. All metal will be grayish black or so.

Was shooting for 10 lbs. came out 10.7 without bipod.
I am pretty happy. Shooting 1/2-3/4” with not much load development.

Here are pics

Attachments

• 90EF6305-0D4A-4837-9F61-DAD4C3842B73.jpeg
    90EF6305-0D4A-4837-9F61-DAD4C3842B73.jpeg
    791.3 KB · Views: 158
  • 5CE3E6CB-28FC-4D9C-B18E-601D1DFF9BD5.jpeg
    5CE3E6CB-28FC-4D9C-B18E-601D1DFF9BD5.jpeg
    561.2 KB · Views: 150
  • E7752425-09AB-40DA-9562-F9277DF5B31A.jpeg
    E7752425-09AB-40DA-9562-F9277DF5B31A.jpeg
    318.3 KB · Views: 132
  • 9158E469-2596-4A36-9F29-3F3E3D3D46BF.jpeg
    9158E469-2596-4A36-9F29-3F3E3D3D46BF.jpeg
    366.1 KB · Views: 129
  • 3ABFE0F5-B3E2-4A52-BD8D-18260996315A.jpeg
    3ABFE0F5-B3E2-4A52-BD8D-18260996315A.jpeg
    306.8 KB · Views: 129
  • E6A94D6A-B1E9-40D5-BA24-74821BB113CC.jpeg
    E6A94D6A-B1E9-40D5-BA24-74821BB113CC.jpeg
    847.2 KB · Views: 129
I have two FN rifles one SPR and one PBR, I believe I have every iteration of factory bottom metal manufactured, TBM with FN mags, floor plate with clip/mag,( never used) and standard floor plate with spacer( removed for my 7SAW II build). The SPR is 308 with 20" barrel and FN TBM& Mags, the PBR is Floor Plate with spacer removed and bolt bushed for small primer cartridges ie... 7SAW from WTO 26" Bartlein barrel. I may have purchased everything MWGW ever offered on clearance over the past four years, including McMillan A4 for the 308 and A2 for the SAW along with the Houge metal chassis/rubber stock. I have had exactly ZERO problems with either rifle for their intended use. I do not compete in PRS but enjoy LR shooting and hunt with all my weapons from a long bow to a SAKO 300WM. I believe for factory rifles not many compare to FN& SAKO!
I have some spare parts for FN I could part with if someone needs them!

I have two FN rifles one SPR and one PBR, I believe I have every iteration of factory bottom metal manufactured, TBM with FN mags, floor plate with clip/mag,( never used) and standard floor plate with spacer( removed for my 7SAW II build). The SPR is 308 with 20" barrel and FN TBM& Mags, the PBR is Floor Plate with spacer removed and bolt bushed for small primer cartridges ie... 7SAW from WTO 26" Bartlein barrel. I may have purchased everything MWGW ever offered on clearance over the past four years, including McMillan A4 for the 308 and A2 for the SAW along with the Houge metal chassis/rubber stock. I have had exactly ZERO problems with either rifle for their intended use. I do not compete in PRS but enjoy LR shooting and hunt with all my weapons from a long bow to a SAKO 300WM. I believe for factory rifles not many compare to FN& SAKO!
I have some spare parts for FN I could part with if someone needs them!
If you have a McMillan stock, I am probably interested. Especially if it has bottoms metal. Can you send me pics?

Unfortunately for those of us that love the SPR they never really entered the FBI's inventory. That does not mean there "never" was one that was used by the FBI. The first rule of collectables is "never say never". Here is a thread from the Vintage Sniper Rifle forum that really illuminates the rifles used by HRT and the various local field office SWAT Teams. There are very few rifles in the inventory of the HRT and apparently they are changing and modified with regularity. Apparently this is not so with the SWAT team rifles of which the thread suggests there are over four hundred. A number of posters to the posters on the thread are former FBI shooters.

If you love the M70 there is interesting info. here. hope you enjoy it. https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/threads/fbi-sniper-rifles.7009896/

The only parts I have that I do not need are the Hogue stock ( I bought it for the FN TBM) and the floor plate/trigger guard with detachable magazine, I plan on keeping the FN TBM/Mags for a 25x47L build in the future!

I recently picked up a PBR in the PX. It is the XP with a 20" fluted barrel, but the Hogue overmolded stock.

It's on its way to my FFL now.

Other than the stock not being a McMillan, can someone tell me what the other differences are between the PBR and the SPR?

I think the PBR doesn't have a chrome lined barrel, is that correct?

FN PBRs do not have chrome lined barrels. Hammer forged, but not chrome lined. The actions were not trued like they were on SPRs, either. Barrels were lighter in contour.

There were two different series of PBRs.

The original PBR with black Hogue stock was made in the US Repeating Arms Company plant (Winchester) in New Haven, Connecticut along side the Model 70 and FN SPR. The only came in .308 and only had a 4 round DBM magzine. The actions were the hybrid controlled round / push feed style. They did have the Winchester two lever trigger, though. Came with a one-piece base, but very early ones may have had a two-piece rail. Stocks were not bedded.

When operations moved to FN in Columbia, SC, the PBR became the PBR-XP. These have the green Hogue stocks. PBR-XPs use the CRF action of the SPR and classic Model 70 but were not trued. SPRs are always trued. PBR-XPs kept the hammer forged but non-chrome lined barrels, fluted now on XPs. Most were .308 with 4 round DBM, but a few were in .300 WSM and had a hinged floorplate magazine. Even fewer of the PBR-XP USA in .223 with an "Ultra Short Action" (USA). Smaller Hogue stock, 20" barrel, 6 round hinged floorplate magazine and a hybrid CR/PF action. Neat little guns but unremarkable in the market place. PBR-XPs also used the new Winchester three lever or "MOA" trigger found on all M-70s after the move to Columbia. PBRs were all meant to deliver at least 1.5 MOA, but most flirted easily with 1 MOA. Actions were not trued like on SPR and barrels were lighter and not chrome lined. All meant to compete price-wise with the $800 Remington M700 popular in the market at the time but with better features.

Anyone looking for a CRF build, the PBR-XP action is very good and probably very affordable. The only draw back is the trigger does not have lots of aftermarket options like the original two-lever trigger found on older M70s and FN SPR. Trued up and rebarreled with a good tube and it'll shoot with the best of them. Left in stock form, its an accurate for its light weight, all-purpose bolt gun. If you want .308 Win or .300 WSM.

Hope this helps. Enjoy your rifle when you get it.

AG

Does anyone think there would be interest for the stock on my SPR. I really want to go with a T6 instead and sell this stock.
Thoughts???

IMG_20200603_205117_994.jpgIMG_20200602_213742_876.jpgIMG_20200602_213510_134.jpg

Picking up an FN SPR A5 XP 20” 308

What are you guys running for action screw torque to achieve best accuracy. Looking for a baseline for load testing

I’ve run stocks with blocks, chassis, full bedded stocks and my AIAT. To my understanding this is spot bedded by recoil lug and tang.

Had both a SPR and XP. Great actions with features that are hard to find. Due to a crummy experience and needing to find a replacement part for the safety that was lost by the gunsmith and the complete lack of support from FN I sold them both and will not ever spend another dime on any FN products. I can't risk having that much money tied up on a rifle that if needed I cannot get replacement parts for. It may have changed now, but I am not willing to take the risk to find out.

PS: Was so put out by the whole ordeal, sold them both without ever shooting.
The gunsmith was the worst of it. The barrel channel was way off center for the inlet, returned the guns covered in rust, etc... When called out, the gunsmith and his friend both smeared me online.

You dealt with the wrong person at FN then... My experience with Ben couldn't possibly be different.

Sucks that you had a bad experience though, man.

If a search for SPR parts comes up short, search for the same part in a Winchester M-70 Classic. Two-lever triggers, extractors, ejectors, bolt and striker parts are identical on the Win Model 70 Classic short action with two-lever trigger. .308 bolt face. If a matte black M-70 part is not available, a gloss blued part might be. It just a refinish step then.

This may not hold true as time goes on and Model 70s come from Portugal now. Shop for M-70 USRAC era parts.

AG

You dealt with the wrong person at FN then... My experience with Ben couldn't possibly be different.

Sucks that you had a bad experience though, man.

Yep, it was some time ago that's why I said that I didn't know if it is still the case. When I asked if I could buy the part, they said they could not sell it to me for liability reasons, and because I had the action trued the warranty was void...

I as almost left with over $3k in a gun with zero resale value. Luckily I was able to source the missing piece and promptly sold both of them.

Everyone has their own experiences, but that left such a bad taste in my mouth I've sworn off anything FN.

Damn, Rockfish Dave is banned? Did he post something about what happened in another thread?

Shows “banned” banner next to his name. But he’s still commenting and actively on here. Assuming it’s a mistake as he just voiced his experience with fn again after being banned. Clearly if he is banned it didn’t work very well.... didn’t see any reason he’d have got the ban hammer just from his last couple posts but who knows

@Rockfish Dave

New to this site but I just picked up an SPR A3G and I’m looking for optics. Any recommendations? I was thinking about a Strike Eagle 5-25x56

I got away from shooting 308 and was using a GAP Tempest in 6.5 Lapua, but kept having trouble with it. One day, I took the Tempest and my FN SPR out. Shot the Tempest a bit, swore at it, thought about throwing it down range because it's such a piece of crap. I pulled out the SPR, loaded a mag, put a round into the chamber smooth as hell. Fired it, cycled smooth as hell again. Got home, bought two more SPRs off gunbroker. Bye bye Tempest!

New to this site but I just picked up an SPR A3G and I’m looking for optics. Any recommendations? I was thinking about a Strike Eagle 5-25x56
Not really a scope thread but in order to help you we are going to need a lot more detail.
What are your intensions? Hunting? PRS? Just banging steel?
Shooting after dark? Budget? Weight?

Rings showed up today so I mounted the SHV. I'll finally get to put some rounds down range next week.

LGS had three boxes of Hornady TAP loaded with 168g AMAX's on the shelf so I grabbed them.

I also picked up a few hundred LC LR brass a while back so worst case scenario, I'll load up a few.

I've got almost eight pounds of Varget and plenty of primers to play with. Just need to decide on a bullet but I'm leaning towards a 175g something or other.

I'm definitely looking forward to stocking the freezer this winter!
IMG_20200904_152007.jpg
IMG_20200904_152056.jpg

This threads been great. I have to take some pics soon of my a3g and post them on here.

I have all the parts except action to build another a3g. Stock, original take off barrel off my current a3g, bottom metal and international box. If anyone has a a3g action they would be willing to part with I'd be very interested in buying it.

Last edited:

I'm putting a NF nxs 3-15 F1 on mine. Its more for nostalgia for me. Older rifle with older scope that was held in high regard at the time. Much better scopes to chose from now but I think it fits well together.

If my budget was $1k or less for the scope I'd probably try and get a steiner military 4-16 which I have seen go for less then the $1k. The p4xi is really nice for the price.

Not mine but I did grab one for the TBM. $100+ w/ ship/tax You'll be stuck w/ a useless stock though. I've got an A3 somewhere.

Just bought the same one. I'll have the mags and the bottom metal early next week, and the rifle next Friday!!

Last edited:
Just posted my A3G up if anyone is interested in a tack driver.

Deano

Fn SPR A1, winny M70 FW 300 wsm, and a real pre-64 270 my uncle is in possession of on permanent loan.
If FN/Winny mad basically a A3G with a better DBM that took ai mags, in any good 6.5(x47, creed, hell 260) with threaded barrels I'd be in.
I also search for a spr action. I'm almost to the point of buying a Featherweight just to cannibalize the action for a 6.5 build.
Thats EXACTLY my plan for the winter. I have a MDT chassis sitting here waiting for the build. Going to have the smith open the bottom to make sure it works right with the AI mags. Only decision is, 6 creed or 6.5 Creed?

Took the fn spr a1 our today just to check zero. I absolutely love this rifle. It is probably on of the more accurate rifles I own. I would definitely have a hard time getting rid of it.
5 shot group at 100, 175 Berger, with 43 grains of Varget .
E32763F4-258A-4A80-A3B1-FFE16749D3F6.jpeg

I've been eyeing these long enough I've decided I want one. If anyone wants to sell one I'm open to seeing what you have. Particularly an A5M XP with the 1:10 twist barrel.

1st and 2nd pictures are my Gen 1 SPR. Built on the old Long Action Winchester in 308 chambering, rollmarked with the FN info on the barrel. Blind mag, HS precision stock no bottom metal of any type. I added the pic rail on the stock for use with my Accu-Tac bipods. Third pic is the new member of the family - FN SPR A5M, with the FN Tac magazines. I LOVE these guns!!

Attachments

• 20200921_113707.jpg
    20200921_113707.jpg
    292.9 KB · Views: 92
  • 20200921_113621.jpg
    20200921_113621.jpg
    371.1 KB · Views: 98
  • 20200918_183624.jpg
    20200918_183624.jpg
    440.3 KB · Views: 103
Thanks to this thread I got my hands on an SPR action. Cant thank Quarter Horse enough for giving me the opportunity to buy it.

I do have a question and hoping you guys can give me your input. Can I take the 260 barrel that was put on my a3g rifle and put it on this FN spr action. Since they were both trued by FN, shouldn't they be so close the barrel would fit properly on either action?

Also attached pucture of my a3g in 260 rem.

Attachments

• 20200929_145843.jpg
    20200929_145843.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 20200929_171621.jpg
    20200929_171621.jpg
    866.5 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
I'm glad the action is what you are looking for. The reason
I sold it is simply that I had been sitting on it for years along with three A-4s and FN TBMs. As regards your .260 barrel, here are some shops that may be able to answer you question. Moon Roberts at Crescent Crescent Customs, LRI and SAC are all knowledgeable as regards M-70s.

Another guy that might be able to assist is "Action Guy".