• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are the FN SPR enthusiasts extinct?

Just got back from the range with the new scope.
Love the way these rifles shoot.
C93FAC92-8252-4334-8335-5C441105D42F.jpeg

I picked up a used FN SPR barreled action last year. The round count on the action is around 6500. SAC reworked the action and installed a new barrel after about 5000 rounds.

I know absolutely nothing about FN SPR / WIN 70 actions and I am contemplating having a new 6.5 CM barrel spun up for it. Question for those on this thread...are there things I need to watch for or be concerned about with a FN action with this high of a round count?

I picked up a used FN SPR barreled action last year. The round count on the action is around 6500. SAC reworked the action and installed a new barrel after about 5000 rounds.

I know absolutely nothing about FN SPR / WIN 70 actions and I am contemplating having a new 6.5 CM barrel spun up for it. Question for those on this thread...are there things I need to watch for or be concerned about with a FN action with this high of a round count?
nope

@Bigfatcock American Rifle Company's Archimedes is the fastest action I've ever handled. I haven't held an Enfield in many years, but the Archimedes makes my Rem 700's, Bighorn TL3/SR3, Defiance, and FN actions feel down right sluggish.

I use the same (or very similar) bolt manipulation technique as you have described and I can say that with my Archimedes I have extra time to re-establish NPA in rapid fire strings when shooting NRA HighPower Comps. Here's a couple videos of a one of my practice sessions last year - late summer or fall.

The Area 419 bolt knob that I threaded on looks/feels similar to my Archimedes, so I'm thinking it may speed that up as well.

Regards,
Ross

FN seems to not care about civilian rifle sales. I’d like one personally as well. I still regret selling mine.

last night did a little research on the CDI kit. You have a choice of magazines. Those who have please answer a couple of questions.

1. AICS mags or Magpul magazines on SPR?
2. Is it a SPR diy home project or for a gunsmith?
3. If it needs a professional install- CDI will install kit at no charge, just have to send the stock or entire gun- local Smith or CDI?
4. Depending on 3- entire rifle or stock?

Thanks in advance for your help!!!
Have CDI do the install and stay with the aics. The magpul mags work but, you are tied to them and I have had feed issues with certain cartridges.

I have 3 rifles. One switch barrel set up. If need a barrel done up I recommend ALD. Rthur on here. He has done numerous for me and others. Fast turn around. I’ve been running one for 1o plus years. Love the action. Personally I really like the factory trigger. I have one with a timney in it and like it as well but not as much as the factory. The factory is pretty much bomb proof. One of my favorite rifles. Two of the guys I shoot with still run them for comps also.

I have all the components to have a 6.5 built (SPR action, Bartlein blank, A3 stock, TBM). Just gotta get it sent out. With how things are right now, it’s a holding pattern.

FN seems to not care about civilian rifle sales. I’d like one personally as well. I still regret selling mine.
We just have to accept that FN hates us. The PBR was a SPR poors version in a hogue stock with a non-chrome lined barrel. Might be a cheaper alternative and then find a take off stock, or have McMillan make you a new one.

I’ve been considering getting a woodland camo HTG made for a SPR.

Last edited:
Also, for those who love the original DBM, magazines have been discontinued.

I have a cdi on mine in a manners eh2. I also have cdi on three other rifles. What an outstanding bottom metal. I actually dealt face to face with him on all four as I only lived an hour away back when he was still alive. Great guy for sure just so willing to help. It’s a real shame no one was able to carry on his awesome product.

Reactions: M8541Reaper
We just have to accept that FN hates us. The PBR was a SPR poors version in a hogue stock with a non-chrome lined barrel. Might be a cheaper alternative and then find a take off stock, or have McMillan make you a new one.

move been considering getting a woodland camo HTG made for a SPR.
Woodland camo is my favorite camo pattern from Mcmillan. I have an spr action, factory trigger and Williams bottom metal. Was thinking a McMillan classic hunter stock and #3 barrel. But after reading the vintage sniper rifle thread on these actions I may go in that direction with a htg stock.

I'm looking for one. I had one a few years ago and sold it like a dumb a$$.
I’ve considered selling one several times over the years, but I always put it back in the safe. It would cost double to build out a same rifle with the same capabilities.

I’ve been considering getting a woodland camo HTG made for a SPR.
Woodland Camo would make a great looking rifle!

I have had issues with the tbm 10 round mag. I finally got it to feed decent by bending the feed lips. Now I can get any more 10 round mags.

The mag feeds good now. But before the mag was causing the nose of the bullet to kick up and slam into the top of the action.

Reactions: Deej
No problems with the feed lips on my FN 10 rnd mags but I did stretch the spring and the work great!
I’ve had to do that and have replaced springs in some also but they get a lot of wear so expect that.

Nice group, I also use ARC rings , how do you like them?
What barrel length does your SPR have ?
Mine is a 20" 1n12 fluted and likes 178 ELD-X , 175 SMK , 168 Berger Hybrids and 155 Sierra Palmas so far!
How do you like the NX8?. I'm using a GEN II Razor on mine!

Nice group, I also use ARC rings , how do you like them?
What barrel length does your SPR have ?
Mine is a 20" 1n12 fluted and likes 178 ELD-X , 175 SMK , 168 Berger Hybrids and 155 Sierra Palmas so far!
How do you like the NX8?. I'm using a GEN II Razor on mine!

It’s a 20” XP model.

I like the ARC rings, easy set up and mounting. Don’t have the grabbing/canting tendencies of the typical split rings while mounting. Run them on my 6.5 as well.

The NX8 is good but not on the same level as my 7-35 ATACR, no surprise right. Focus is touchy and I did buy it with the intent of using it as a 4-25x.

I wanted to keep the weight lower, lower price but similar controls and reticle to the ATACR, honestly though I’d prefer if the ocular turned like the ATACR, in Alaska with cold hands being able to palm the thing is easier and it doesn’t bother me at all if the ocular turns.

Shot a Kraft Challenge the other day for the first time, very slow and methodical.
ACAC6F7C-D69D-4FBA-A74E-924407C23E3C.jpeg

C1BD5928-B759-45F6-83B2-8DAB4CA4850A.jpeg

Last edited:
Well fellas, some very expensive dental work has put me out of the game
I hope this helps someone. They could send it to Mark like I was going to.

In 2011 I had one of the A3G models. It’s was awesome until I put my thumb into the stock while holding it due to an air bubble under the surface. Took it back to to the LGS in Margate, QLD (any Aussies reading this know which one), and it sat there for over a year before they finally refunded me. I was pretty pissed about what happened with respect to that, but that set aside, I loved the rifle and would buy one again if I ever came across one at the right price. My brother has a A5M, and it’s lights out also (sucks you need to buy the 10 rounder seperate)

Ran across this on another forum. Not affiliated but I know people are looking for these rifles in this thread.

Doggone it! I really wish I could get one of these for a build. Or a TSR.

Kinda jealous, but haply for all you guys that have 'em.