• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Are these threads OK?

mzvarner

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2013
Spokane, WA
Wilson Combat barrel in 308 win. Had threaded by a local shop in anticipation of suppressors. Had a Dead Air Key micro brake with a touch of Rocksett for the Sandman S while I waited for the Nomad Ti. The sandman s set up shot great.

Boiled the MB to release the Rocksett. Brake came off easy. No die to clean threads so used a dental pick to scrape the gunk off.

Since I was so close with the pick, I noticed they look wonky to my untrained eye.

Looking at tap and clearance drill sizes 5/8 x 24 major diameter is 0.625 and minor diameter is 0.5739

Mine are tapered so:
Major diameter at muzzle are 0.591- 0.630 at the shoulder

Minor diameter 0.573 at muzzle to 0.594 at shoulder.

20230706_165112.jpg
20230706_165140.jpg

Not sure about the threads, however I’d say the threads should leave a 3/16 gap and not be threaded up the the “step” back to full diameter (or whatever the correct term iso_O

...Those are terrible. Whoever cut them shouldn't be let near a lathe (assuming they used a lathe) until they've learned how to properly cut a thread. They also didn't cut a relief at the shoulder against the barrel. The inconsistency in the root of the threads is almost comical.

Some of the worst I've seen. I'd demand for your money back and take it somewhere else to get it fixed right. Check out Adco Firearms for barrel threading.

Reactions: FredHammer
Happy to help.

A while back I inherited a small lathe, watched a few youtube videos, and cut my first thread. It looked similar to that.
When I measured it I laughed and said pipe thread.

No way should anyone that charges people for cutting threads deliver that.

This reminds me that I need a new watering wand for my garden.

By the way, Wipe Out does wonders in getting that stubborn carbon off the crown/face of the barrel.

Huh, well fool me once! Glad it was all ok with the sandman. I dont have pictures of it after threading, but i do remember thinking the shoulder seemed off.

Forgot i have this Bartlein thats waiting to replace my 6.5 cm barrel that @LongRifles Inc. did.

20230707_070718.jpg

Ill be sending you a barrel next week. Thanks for the services! The trued Rem 700 in 6.5cm you did for me is an absolute hammer!

Contacted Eric at Mountain Shadow Arms, in Spokane. He was shocked the original threads left his shop. He asked for 5 days to make it right. Id say he did a great job with excellent customer service. i offered to pay him partially for the quick repair and he turned it down. See how it shoots later this week.

20230720_171433.jpg

20230720_171438.jpg