• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Armada vs Sequoia (2017-2020)

BytorJr

Two Star General
Minuteman
Nov 28, 2018
I presently have a Gen I Sequoia; but it's getting a bit long in tooth and it's going to have to have the timing belts done soon. I just sunk money into brakes this summer (did it myself, so i'll chalk that up as an 800 dollar learning session of NEVER to buy parts from the local parts store or Summit).

So, I'm toying with possibly getting a used Armada. This won't be a daily but a 6-8x year tow vehicle for the track car and out of state vacations to beach, mountains, etc.

I guess what scares me about the Armada are:
1) Nissan quality
2) Don't hold value...is that due to quality or just because it's Nissan? However, it means nice (< 75k miles) can be had for a decent price.

Toyota quality is known; however, the Gen II Sequoia seems a super ancient design as it came 'round in 2007 vs 2017. That said, the Sequoia Gen I brakes SUCK!!!!!!!! And the transmission is a bit questionable (granted, mine was used and is now getting close to 200k).

Thoughts on the Armada appreciated.

Sequoia all day. The Gen 1 is bulletproof though timing belts suck (4.7) Gen 2 has the 5.7 and a timing chain and is also bulletproof. Love my Tundra 5.7.

Reactions: Jackalope
Buddy recently had a 2022 Armada. They only kept it 6 months. Lots of electrical gremlins and could not pass a gas station with it.

Reactions: nikonNUT
Imo the Expedition, full size GM line equipped with th 6.2, and full size Land Rover products with the 5.0L or I6 are significantly ahead of either. The sequoia is a 2007 truck. It's pretty basic and really inefficient. It should be reliable. The Armada is an off road oriented platform, but with the key off road bits stripped off for the us market. It drives pretty well though. The packaging is odd and the interior space is cramped for more than 4 people.

I'll never buy another Nissan. I had a Pathfinder and within 300 miles they (Carmax) ended up having to replace the transmission and one of the computers. Probably well over $5k worth of work and parts.

Bought my wife a Highlander for our 20th anniversary several years back and it has run flawlessly.

If I'm buying an SUV it'll be Toyota or Honda

Imo the Expedition, full size GM line equipped with th 6.2, and full size Land Rover products with the 5.0L or I6 are significantly ahead of either. The sequoia is a 2007 truck. It's pretty basic and really inefficient. It should be reliable. The Armada is an off road oriented platform, but with the key off road bits stripped off for the us market. It drives pretty well though. The packaging is odd and the interior space is cramped for more than 4 people.
Interesting. Never heard anybody defend Land Rover’s reliability. Has something changed? I do realize they have a cult following like the Land Cruiser. Keep in mind I’m looking for a longer wheelbase because of the towing.

Interesting. Never heard anybody defend Land Rover’s reliability. Has something changed? I do realize they have a cult following like the Land Cruiser. Keep in mind I’m looking for a longer wheelbase because of the towing.
Land cruiser is a Toyota product

• Haha
Reactions: Huskydriver
Sequoia with their newer LED headlights is still a relevant look, albeit older design. The interior is definitely behind other companies but the longevity and power of the drivetrain is legit. With the new redesign you should be able to get a great deal too, if you’re willing to shop nationwide. Cars.com

This. Avoid anything made by Rover. Reliability is in the toilet. Only rich suburban housewives drive them to the grocery store and back.

I've never met or known a Land Rover owner that didn't regret buying it.

I know lots of happy Sequoia owners.

I'm not a fan of Nissan having owned one (expensive parts) and my friend that has an Armada doesn't like it.

Anecdotal. There.

I enjoy these discussions.... Thanks
A big factor in "vehicles" is how they were operated and maintained.
The other factor to consider is the information being pushed by the "Cult" groups. Two come to mind... 1) Subaru Cult group and 2) Ford PSD 7.3 Cult group.
Carry on.....

Reactions: BytorJr
I really can't think of any situation where going from a Toyota to a Nissan would be a great idea.

The Sequoia being an older architecture doesn't bother me. It's a SUV, not a computer.

2nd Gen Sequoia doesn’t have a lot of the extras. Mine is a SR5 premium which gets me leather, heated seats and 18” wheels. It doesn’t have Apple CarPlay or any fancy stuff.

Mileage isn’t that bad at 18-19 on the highway for the power it has. Can comfortably hold as many people as it has seatbelts for.

I drive all manner of F150, expeditions, and suburbans at work. The thing I enjoy the most about the Sequoia is that it has almost the exact same turning radius as the 4runner which I previously had. It parks so much easier than any other vehicle of the same size.

Add in the storied high mileage ability and reliability and it’s a great vehicle.

Reactions: Hobo Hilton
Land cruiser is a Toyota product
YES, I know that. A Land Rover is not. Hence my comment that I cannot believe Land Rover is anywhere near a Toyota quality product. Every Land ROVER seems to have head gasket issues.

Reactions: LMTMWS
Ford Excursion with a 7.3PSD diesel, 3/4 ton, 19' long, great tow vehicle. Member of the Cult for 24 years.
Ford Excursion with a 7.3PSD diesel, >>>>My DREAM SUV, Camper, Family Truckster, haul a boat to the lake with 8 friends inside..
Add in the DUAL Alt @ 350 amps a piece, and you have a truck that can comfortably run damn near anything. 4K watt stereo, Dual Amp Excursion laughs. Add in a few batteries, and a portable freezer/fridge..... Dual Amp Excursion laughs.

I chuckle at that myself...

When I use the term "properly maintained", it's not just changing oil and topping off the fluids. When I hear an owner (of any vehicle) crying about spending $4k+ to replace a transmission on a vehicle with 150k miles.... That is just proper maintenance.

I chuckle at that myself...

When I use the term "properly maintained", it's not just changing oil and topping off the fluids. When I hear an owner (of any vehicle) crying about spending $4k+ to replace a transmission on a vehicle with 150k miles.... That is just proper maintenance.
300k on a Sequioa - original tranny
350K on a highlander - original tranny
secret... change the fluids
as for the fords and chevy's I owned,, changing tranny's at 150K is considered normal. I love my Toyotas

Toyota all the way. I have a 15' Landcruiser with 98k on it. I will never sell this vehicle. Sequoia's are great vehicle also, will go 300k all day long with just regular service.

YES, I know that. A Land Rover is not. Hence my comment that I cannot believe Land Rover is anywhere near a Toyota quality product. Every Land ROVER seems to have head gasket issues.
The problem is that the 5.0 sc motor has a weak link in the cooling system (plastic crossover pipe) that is difficult to inspect for cracks and splits. Loss of coolant fries head gasket. There is no warning until it is too late.

There is also a problem with tensioners on the timing chain. They break down easily. If you change the oil every 4-5k (instead of the recommended 15k) you’ll be fine.

My GM 6.2 motor ia bulletproof by comparison.

I just picked up my 5th Toyota, with 241K miles on the clock, still going strong with the typical routine maintenance. I do need to replace a U-joint that's causing some slight vibration.

IMG_20230106_121957604_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230106_121943715_HDR~2.jpg

Last edited:
I had a QX56 (which was perfect) and then moved to an Armada Platinum. That POS not only was the worst car I have ever owned but it had so many issues. To top that off the dealer wouldn't warranty any of them. I will never own another Nissan again.

I’ve driven two Tundras and one Sequoia combined for over a million miles since 2002. Replaced an alternator in the ‘02 at 240,000 miles. Other than that it was oil changes at 5000 miles and tires when they wore out, as well as Toyota’s recommended 100,000 maintenance (approximately $2000). As long as they keep building them like this, I’ll never buy anything else.

The japan or usa built toyotas/lexus are better than the mexican ones.

4runner, gx460 are still japan made iirc.

My 16 tacoma is mexican and it's been more like a ford than a toyota.
when it says.
German engineered
Japanese engineered....
Honcho de Mexico :censored:

Reactions: BCP
I just picked up my 5th Toyota, with 241K miles on the clock, still going strong with the typical routine maintenance. I do need to replace a U-joint that's causing some slight vibration.

View attachment 8041763

View attachment 8041766
Only one issue with a Land Cruiser. Short wheelbase and towing a 2800lb car with steel trailer. I know they weigh a shit-ton; but that short wheelbase still concerns me.

However, I've awaked to my delerium and if I dump my 2005 sequoia, it'll be for a Gen II Sequoia (or maybe..just maybe a LC).

Thanks folks for responding. I had to see if Nissan improved their game...never been a fan; but even the Toyota dealer told me that Nissan has really upped their game...of course...they had nowhere else to go IMO. Sounds like they may have upped the game; but have just finished the first inning.

Maybe Nissan has? But the evidence proves that Nissan as not been reliable in the past. When was the last time you saw a pre Y2K Nissan, other than a 240Z taking up space in someone's garage?

I see Toyota's on the road daily, even some 60's vintage.

Maybe Nissan has? But the evidence proves that Nissan as not been reliable in the past. When was the last time you saw a pre Y2K Nissan, other than a 240Z taking up space in someone's garage?

Pre Y2K? HAHAHAHHAHA....the only Pre 2010's I see are pimped out/tricked out 350's and a few older Titans and every once in a while an Armada of that vintage. Though, apparently THE last gen I Armada's are the only ones worth having. I'll pass...I did the "replace all" on a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

The ONLY thing that's a bummer on the 4.7L (in particular) and even 5.7 Toyota is the air-induction pump failure...which mine has. The Hewitt fix works, but every once in a while the magic code appears and you go into limp mode which is impossible to go up even slight upgrades with. Better limp home with no hills. Mega issue though as the dealer fix is/was close to $4K!!!!

I had a Nissan with over 450k miles by the time I sold it in the 90's. And it's still on the road.
1967 Nissan Patrol.

Anyway, no way in hell I would get a Nissan humongo.

Pre Y2K? HAHAHAHHAHA....the only Pre 2010's I see are pimped out/tricked out 350's and a few older Titans and every once in a while an Armada of that vintage. Though, apparently THE last gen I Armada's are the only ones worth having. I'll pass...I did the "replace all" on a Jeep Grand Cherokee.

The ONLY thing that's a bummer on the 4.7L (in particular) and even 5.7 Toyota is the air-induction pump failure...which mine has. The Hewitt fix works, but every once in a while the magic code appears and you go into limp mode which is impossible to go up even slight upgrades with. Better limp home with no hills. Mega issue though as the dealer fix is/was close to $4K!!!!
True...5.7 also has the cam tower leak on some. Not the end of the world RTV breakdown or not enough was put on. Most times if there is a problem, its just a small seepage of oil that isn't even noticeable. Mine has 90k and no problems at all. Might add a SC soon.

On my second 4Runner TRD Pro. Put over 200K on the first one and only required routine maintenance. Current one has 158K+ on it and only routine maintenance although I just installed new shocks and struts on it just because I felt it was time. The thing I like best about Toyota is they keep things simple and it just works. All that electrical jazz they are putting in alot of vehicles today is just a problem waiting to happen. I drive in the backcountry of CO and NM and need a reliable vehicle.

On my second 4Runner TRD Pro. Put over 200K on the first one and only required routine maintenance. Current one has 158K+ on it and only routine maintenance although I just installed new shocks and struts on it just because I felt it was time. The thing I like best about Toyota is they keep things simple and it just works. All that electrical jazz they are putting in alot of vehicles today is just a problem waiting to happen. I drive in the backcountry of CO and NM and need a reliable vehicle.
so you want a HiLux workmate? :)

don't know if I would buy another Sequoia. Mine has over 310K mi. (2004 model). Can't open the rear hatch window since the last 150K mi. Have to replace the rear latch every two years for $400. One of the rear doors will not lock electronically. The automatic traction control is gone. My next SUV may be a used LC which I know is made in Japan.

don't know if I would buy another Sequoia. Mine has over 310K mi. (2004 model). Can't open the rear hatch window since the last 150K mi. Have to replace the rear latch every two years for $400. One of the rear doors will not lock electronically. The automatic traction control is gone. My next SUV may be a used LC which I know is made in Japan.
Ahhh yes, the rear hatch and the broken rear latch. The rear latch is solveable becasue somebody makes a metal part. The Rear hatch window...I seem to get mine working by banging on the motor, then it dies again. It's a controller issue not the motor. It's tied into the wiper blade as well. And I think my ATC is also dead. Granted I bought pre-owned (YES, USED) at 137.5K. Had to put new coils and plugs (Never been changed...no electrode...how it ran is anybody's guess...except destroyed the coils. I won't blame Toyota on that; but the things I will blame are the AIP bypass and these two items.

And yes, there is a half-a-world of quality difference in a LC vs Sequoia.

Super happy with my 2004 LC, for sure. Even my wife loves it- and THAT is a real recommendation, as she doesn't give a shit about vehicles, but appreciates the memories made, lack of maintenance and comfort of the LC.
Had a Sequia before the LC, so can absolutely say the LC is a better vehicle, especially concerning the drivetrain/4wd system, interior design/comfort, and we love the tailgate!
Pm me for any specific questions!
Jordan

I drive in the backcountry of CO and NM and need a reliable vehicle.

In all fairness people take jeep wranglers out in the desert and mountains all the time and those things are pieces of shit.

I hope my tacoma is that reliable.

Super happy with my 2004 LC, for sure. Even my wife loves it- and THAT is a real recommendation, as she doesn't give a shit about vehicles, but appreciates the memories made, lack of maintenance and comfort of the LC.
Had a Sequia before the LC, so can absolutely say the LC is a better vehicle, especially concerning the drivetrain/4wd system, interior design/comfort, and we love the tailgate!
Pm me for any specific questions!
Jordan

The GX 460 is a made in japan landcruiser with lexus doodads which is why I have been looking at them.

Reactions: CE1371 and Bart
In all fairness people take jeep wranglers out in the desert and mountains all the time and those things are pieces of shit.

I hope my tacoma is that reliable.

The GX 460 is a made in japan landcruiser with lexus doodads which is why I have been looking at them.
True but haven't had to be towed or recovered like a Jeep. Tacos are great little trucks.

I always love these "toyota vs _____"

Dude, nothing compares to a toyota. Keep toyota parts in them(not your local parts store), keep up with fluid changes and deal with the mediocre fuel mileage.

If you need bells and whistles like the Ford guys love(distracts them from their terrible choice in vehicle) then look at Lexus. All those little electronic gizmos eventually fail and are not always inexpensively replaced, but toyota usually lasts.

In my driveway I have a 80 series on 37's that is near 300k
V8 4runner with 275k
T100 m/t 4x4 that has 279k
Tacoma with 369k
And they all run. They all have flaws, but minor dumb shit you'll have with a high mileage vehicle. I am not alone or special, there are millions of people on this planet with similar results. You see all those middle east guys with machine guns on top their ride? Ain't a single fucking Ford.