Rifle Scopes  Armament Technology Inc SAI 6

Glassaholic

Send it!
PX Member
Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Black Forest, CO
    My wheelhouse is with long range scopes, do not have much experience with LPVO’s but will do my best. ILya has both scopes as well, I would put much more weight on his thoughts. I have a DT MDRx 308 I’m looking to scope, just not sure what direction yet, hopefully this will help me decide.

adamjma

Cold fingers
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 13, 2017
    Canada
    @koshkin has posted his first look video here:

So far I'm really liking what I'm seeing. Hadn't planned to buy a new optic, but this might displace the EXPS + magnified combo I have on my midlength upper.

Reactions: SageRatSafaris

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    Im familiar with how those have worked in the past. It's still compromise. If we are talking minute of man hits, its fine, sometimes. But its still limited because your zero and the associating dope can vary greatly throughout the day. If we are putting in 800 yards shots, as this scope suggests and you are shooting at a 8am, your difference by the hot part of the day could be 2 mils with a 5.56 at that distance...more than 4 feet. No one rezeros their rifles for the new conditions with an LPVO, you just make the appropriate adjustment. Sure you could calculate and figure it out, even with a BDC, but it just adds another layer of complexity to the process. I still like what I see so far, every LPVO has a compromise, this one might not be too bad.

Believe it or not, some people understand the design limitations of their equipment and don't buy scopes that max out at 6X (or even 8X) to use as precision rifle sights. For that they buy scopes that top out at 14X and higher with reticles and turrets that lend themselves to the job.

Reactions: TacticalPlinker

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    @koshkin has posted his first look video here:

So far I'm really liking what I'm seeing. Hadn't planned to buy a new optic, but this might displace the EXPS + magnified combo I have on my midlength upper.
    Reticle is a hard pass

Center Mass

Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jan 12, 2008
    Pa
    Mine arrived yesterday and I'm really liking it. Think I will do a bit of a write up on it today or tomorrow.

CM

Reactions: adamjma

TacticalPlinker

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Mar 24, 2012
    Believe it or not, some people understand the design limitations of their equipment and don't buy scopes that max out at 6X (or even 8X) to use as precision rifle sights. For that they buy scopes that top out at 14X and higher with reticles and turrets that lend themselves to the job.

Yessssir. Running a 1-4x Accupoint even on a KAC upper because it's fast , easy and good enough 😁.
    ...and LRHSi for maxing out the 77 TMK ;)

Attachments

• MVIMG_20210327_153809.jpg
      MVIMG_20210327_153809.jpg
      818.6 KB · Views: 12
    • IMG_20210401_214006~2.jpg
      IMG_20210401_214006~2.jpg
      562.7 KB · Views: 10
    Last edited:

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    FFP. No thanks.
    I'm not necessarily opposed to that as long as the reticle is useful throughout the entire magnification range.

But your point is well taken. There are very few LPVOs that manage to do FFP well.

For the majority of uses an LPVO is intended for, SFP works perfectly and makes the job of designing a reticle much easier.

Glassaholic

Send it!
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Black Forest, CO
    Got my SAI 6 yesterday. I have to admit, I am really digging this scope and for not being a BDC fan, the reticle is my favorite BDC reticle that I've seen, I've mostly steered clear of LPVO's because none of the reticles really excite me, but this one kind of excites me. I waited months for my Razor Gen III, I need a little more time but I may be keeping this SAI 6 and offloading the Gen III sadly... I should mention I foolishly ordered the Gen III with the BDC reticle, I should have grabbed the mrad version instead (for my preference).

Burdy

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 10, 2013
    Bring your heavy 14 power scope on your heavy gun to a 10K Run and Gun competition where you have to make hits at 600-800 yards and then run around with it for over an hour through the woods, hills and water and "believe it or not" you will see some people have use cases for equipment that maybe you don't.

Last edited:

Burdy

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 10, 2013
    Got my SAI 6 yesterday. I have to admit, I am really digging this scope and for not being a BDC fan, the reticle is my favorite BDC reticle that I've seen, I've mostly steered clear of LPVO's because none of the reticles really excite me, but this one kind of excites me. I waited months for my Razor Gen III, I need a little more time but I may be keeping this SAI 6 and offloading the Gen III sadly... I should mention I foolishly ordered the Gen III with the BDC reticle, I should have grabbed the mrad version instead (for my preference).
    Well thats good news. The reticle certainly does seem to pop in images. Does the tube disappear like say a Razor Gen II SFP or a Kahles or is there some tunneling?

Choid

Apparently, the town retard.
    Supporter
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Feb 13, 2017
    How "weird" is the center reticle? It is so different from the bright red dot we are all used to.

Glassaholic

Send it!
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Black Forest, CO
    How "weird" is the center reticle? It is so different from the bright red dot we are all used to.
    It is definitely different from the bright red dot as you put it. Again, I have very little experience with LPVO’s so my point of reference is very limited. The illuminated cross is brighter than I thought it’d be and is definitely daylight bright as I’m able to pick it up even against a white backdrop at midday sun. However, the Vortex Gen III is nuclear bright, in fact even in midday I prefer to turn it down as it’s almost too bright. With the four bullets pointing to center, it is very easy for me to discern center and oddly enough I think I prefer those to the horseshoe and I am a fan of the horseshoe design. I will try to get some through the scope images with my DSLR set to manual to get a reference for the brightness of the different reticles.

Glassaholic

Send it!
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Black Forest, CO
    Well thats good news. The reticle certainly does seem to pop in images. Does the tube disappear like say a Razor Gen II SFP or a Kahles or is there some tunneling?
    Unfortunately I haven’t seen either of those scopes Burdy, maybe ILya can better address that? The SAI 6 came with the Tenebraex covers attached so I will try to look through next time without those on. I noticed this on my ZCO which had a very thin outer ring but when I put the aadland caps on it did take away so I wonder if the same will occur with the SAI.

Last edited:

koshkin

Dark Lord Of Optics
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Feb 22, 2006
    New Mexico
    www.opticsthoughts.com
    Unfortunately I haven’t seen either of those scopes Burdy, maybe ILya can better address that? The SAI 6 came with the Tenebraex covers attached so I will try to look through next time with those on. I noticed this on my ZCO which had a very thin outer ring but when I put the aadland caps on it did take away so I wonder if the same will occur with the SAI.

The cap on the eyepiece does add to the black ring around the image on pretty much any scope, but it is less invasive than if it is caused by the scope internals.

The SAI6 has a slightly thicker black ring around the image than the Razor Gen2 or Delta Stryker, but not by much. It is a very nice eyepiece and very easy to get behind.

This scope is really growing on me, especially since it is the lightest FFP LPVO I can think of off hand.

The reticle, while different, clearly works well for me and it is exceedingly easy to line up behind it. It's a really user friendly design.

ILya

Reactions: Glassaholic

308pirate

Gunny Sergeant
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Apr 25, 2017
    Bring your heavy 14 power scope on your heavy gun to a 10K Run and Gun competition where you have to make hits at 600-800 yards and then run around with it for over an hour through the woods, hills and water and "believe it or not" you will see some people have use cases for equipment that maybe you don't.

Your .0001% scenario is fine for you, most people don't care because they don't use their rifles like that.

Burdy

Private
    PX Member
    Minuteman
    Jul 10, 2013
    Your .0001% scenario is fine for you, most people don't care because they don't use their rifles like that.
    Fair enough. I think. I've come to realize that my RnG setup however would be the exact system I would grab if the .0001% scenario happened and S did HTF. I can't think of a platform setup that would give a higher survival rate, at least not with my skill set.

Reactions: Glassaholic

Glassaholic

Send it!
    PX Member
    Minuteman
  • Nov 30, 2012
    Black Forest, CO
    Fair enough. I think. I've come to realize that my RnG setup however would be the exact system I would grab if the .0001% scenario happened and S did HTF. I can't think of a platform setup that would give a higher survival rate, at least not with my skill set.
    That's exactly my thoughts, and I believe also the thoughts of many in our country right now.

1617980160190.png

Reactions: Burdy