• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

As 2014 Approaches does this need to be addressed ?

Nobody said there was gonna be an individual classification. It was suggested but like I said already support wasn't really strong for it.

Show me where we said it was a done deal, which is probably why you're choosing to focus on it. Takes away from the meat of the conversation.

One thing I dont like about "tactical" matches is that its not very real world. You dont have classes in the real world for whatever caliber you choose. You either get the job done or you don't. I would go for across the board scoring. I really liked the Terry Cross/Jim Clark match as the different shoots in it as your choice made some parts easier and some were harder depending on your choice. Some were 5 dots that had x amount of time to shoot where light recoiling rifles could help you and then there were 1000 yd shots were bigger rounds might help you. I got first round hits with my 260 but everyine one the firing line called no call.
I think it makes it easier if there is no advantage point wise for whatever you do. It dont matter to me either way because I probably wont shoot in them. Matches are cool and I did enjoy the ones I shot in and yes, some stuff can and does apply to the real world but I dont see myself really goint that way. I would love to see some matches go to real world type stuff not making you shoot certain ways, just here is a target, do what it takes to hit it. EX: the shots where you lay the gun on the side to shoot. Why, not just go low and make the shot hawkins. I know that some shots need to be shot from cover/concealment but others dont. Real world stuff that you need a pack has stuff you need in it. In matches it is just what they need there for shooting.

Nobody said there was gonna be an individual classification. It was suggested but like I said already support wasn't really strong for it.

Show me where we said it was a done deal, which is probably why you're choosing to focus on it. Takes away from the meat of the conversation.

I guess I'm confused again, so it's not a discussion about classifying shooters, it's a discussion of creating equipment divisions only?
If that's the case and the theory revolves around new shooters, why not get a dozen match directors to start a 308 division and scrap all the ideas about calculating bc and mv. Now you have a platform for new shooters to compete, on a level playing field, what bullet they desire to shoot in the 308 should have no bearing on the outcome of the match, as some projectiles will shine in different applications and all should wash out in the end.

If there are available ranges with people willing to run matches it should be a non issue to have matches in every state, via the SH wide band of support and notoriety. Match score could be directly reported.

End result, more matches, better availability, leveled playing field, less traveling, simplified the equipment divisions to; limited and open.

Because, if you started paying any attention at all [MENTION=23245]Jim See[/MENTION] you'd realize many people are not recommending 308s to people and there are local matches taking place with NO 308s in them at all.

If you just wanted us to personally get you up to speed while you repeat the same shit from 6 pages back, why not just use PM instead of making us repeat ourselves over and over with the same stupid stuff.

You don't care about what we are doing, you're firmly implanted in the PRS system, so go to their FB and you can talk shit about my idea all you want. Clearly all we are doing is correcting your inaccuracies about this so why should we continue to do that.

I re-read your previous post;

The idea is not be "fair" but to compare similar ballistics and not be comparing a 6mm @ 3150fps to a 175gr @ 2650fps... that is all we are looking for. You already know if you show up to any event with a 175gr 308 you are gonna be fighting an uphill battle by a field dominated by 6.5s and 6mms.

THE MATCHES DO NOT CHANGE ... we are not putting any rules or restrictions on the match, only looking at data after the fact to give a comparison that is more in line with what the shooter was using. You are shooting on equal ground against everyone else.

There is already a gear race on, if you look at the difference between last year, with the 6.5s you see the turn towards the 6mms... this is a gear race. The fact Vu's local matches at NorCal have no 308 shooting in them, that is a gear race.

When I get a chance I will move this to an easier thread to follow because clearly some people are confused by what is being proposed. Nobody is trying to create a fair playing field, only looking to compare data, and then rank that comparison.

So when I re-read the above I understand that to mean you will only be collecting data, no divisions, or clasifications, and no rules will change for a match. May-be you could take your data from the 2013 SH cup and use that as an example of how the information will be analyzed and processed for your intended purpose.

I welcome a 308 division and that may be a discussion I will have with Rich at the finale, for inclusion in the 2015 PRS. Rifles Only has a 308 only match slated for 2014, so I guess we can use that to gauge the current interest level. I haven't seen anything on the PRS facebook page about this thread, and I am not sure why you are getting so defensive about it, I am trying to understand what the end goal of this is but like you said this thread is confusing.

Yes I just might be sold on the PRS, but with it being the only thing out there they kind of have the market cornered right now. But that doesn't mean I would not consider or vet out other ideas, I'm just trying to wrap my head around the end purpose of your idea, at best it has been confusion and that's why I am asking questions, which seem to go unanswered. I feel I have a pretty open mind about it, but there is a ton of conflicting ideas in this thread. I'm sure there are others reading this just as confused as I am, so by giving up on me are you giving up on them?

A simple mission statement, a list of parameters, and a set of first year goals, defining your idea in one post may do a lot to overcome the confusion.

Without classification/divisions, it's only another PRS series that allows every match to be a "league" match. The only proposed difference would be that someone would be collecting and comprising data and you wouldn't have to pay membership dues. That could be done within the PRS series too if someone wanted to.

I had the impression that the TRL was going to be more than that. That there was a goal to break the elitist feeling for some about the PRS and some features that would promote long range shooting on a bigger scale. Something to attract new guys so they aren't so overwhelmed by the ability of the top guys. Like I said, there are organizations that have figured out how to achieve those goals.

[MENTION=23245]Jim See[/MENTION]

There have been several update posts, and unfortunately I am in the middle of other projects that I am trying to fit in before the weather turns to shit. But the mission statement in the beginning is a good start, and really I don't have to time to point you to each post where I repeated it.

Fargo has posted a link to a Google Document that has demonstrated the proposal using an actual match. He has been really helpful doing this. It was repeated at least 3x in the last several pages.

A 308 ONLY class will not work, they don't work in F Class and won't work here. As noted, 308 only matches are a novelty, we did at the SHC several years ago, where we handed out ammo so everyone shot the same thing. Also what happens when guys show up with a 155gr Scenar going 3150fps ? That is 260 ballistics. What about a 185gr or 208 going over 2650fps... There is no point making a 308 only class or division when many people are not recommending them nor are a majority of people using them anymore. Been there done that, got the T Shirt.. if you want a point of reference look at the F/TR Division Split Thread. Also as Vu has noted, in the local match at Nor Cal, nobody uses one at all. It's the shape of things to come. As a competition round the 308 is on it's last leg. Especially in bigger matches.

You can say they are the only game in town, well okay, i guess it depends on your definition of "game".

When my time opens back up, probably when I am stuck back inside with 0 Degree weather and snow (this week) I will create the appropriate forum sections and get the ball rolling that way. There will be a private match director thread so they can talk shop, there will a complete breakdown stating everything. Since nothing is rolling and most of this is just theory, there is no sense in talking to you because you're just all over the map and clearly missing the most basic points. Even the updates. Once it gets going you can decide what you want to do, but I suspect you'll be happier paying your money to the PRS and shooting with them. Cause I really don't see you moving this forward, or should I have say I have yet to see you add anything productive at all. Nothing, not a word. I suppose you can say you're trying to understand, but clearly you continue to miss the biggest points and instead are picking up the fringes, then we have to again, suffer the Tom Hanks Impersonation with repeated, calls of "I don't get it" well that is because I truly believe you don't want to, get it.

Bobby, just slow down, you're getting ahead of yourself...

We have already noted the divisions, we haven;t decided on the individual classifications. We can have it, I get it the handgun crowd does it, but you're putting the cart in front of the horse.

Frank, I reread a whole bunch since my last post, I got it, I had to separate out what you were saying from others, that might have been adding some confusion. I think your ideas have merit and will wait till you get all the details worked out before passing judgement.

I apologize for my previous ignorance.
Jim

308's Still going to be out there but it will play in the gas gun class for the most part. And that's covered. There's nothing much else to say about .308 anymore that hasn't been said ten times.

I wonder what will be the average distance of a TRL-participating match? For instance if we're talking about shorter distance matches like 200-300Y, the classes won't really matter. If you get out past 6-700Y, then they do.

The important part to remember is that this is made out of clay. It can be changed.

The white elephant in the room that keeps getting ignored is that It has a framework built right into it expressly designed to create MORE matches. New MD's will be able to take counsel with guys who have been running highly successful matches for years and stake a claim at a new venue.

Who can't think of a couple ranges within striking distance of them that they wish there was a regular match at?

"wish in one hand..."

--Fargo007

My thinking behind a mil/le class lies in the way most training is conducted. You want that person leaving feeling built up and not busted. I know most will have thick skin, but I'd hate to see a LE DM/Sniper leave a match coming in at the bottom of the pile using his issue equipment and feel below par then go straight to a call out with that on his mind. He/She may be stuck with rifle/scope/gear that while perfectly capable to accomplish his professional task, may be lacking in the competitive world. I'd also hate to see that same person shy away from shooting and gaining experience and learning from the others there because he feels he lost any equipment race right out of the gate. Said person would have to compete with a duty grade weapon firing common duty grade loads or equal, (168 gr FGMM, 175 gr FGMM, 168 Gr TAP, 155 gr TAP.....). If they shoot handloads it would need to be around the velocity of the factory product.

Hootie that's been gone through. As I point out the classes really won't show an across the board difference with the average shot of most matches anyway.

And let's suppose that most of the matches that report scores to TRL are not going to be 1000Y type max distance matches anyhow. If they are, the limited class will be there to even the long game out. A few guys in these many pages who know what they are doing ran the numbers and proved it out.

It's not all slide rule and calculator either. 308 Shooters by us here in MD/PA bested a lot of 'better' calibers in a 7 match, 0-637Y series we just finished up.

--Fargo007

Frank,
I like the idea, I like the direction it is going and I like the "match in a box" concept.

Having shot several postal matches in ICORE, I understand the concept and like the idea and here's why.

I appreciate that this will allow anyone to get involved with a "budget rifle" and be able to compete against both themselves and others with similar equipment.
I live in SE Texas, about an hour and 15 minutes from Rifles Only. As you know, there is a dearth of longrange shooting facilities available in the area.
In order to compete at most matches, I would have to travel a great distance (read gas or air fare), pay a healthy match fee, pay for food and lodging for three days, let alone the ammunition. Even reloading that many rounds is cost prohibitive to me.
Couple all that with the fact that I would not be competitive as I shoot a .308 and lack the training/experience makes the whole idea of shelling out a weeks worth of salary for a match a tough pill to swallow.
So, some of us have the desire, but we are in a viscous circle. We can't afford most matches in order to gain experience/improve skills, some of us are saddled with the .308 for various reasons, some due to cost, some have no choice and most folks don't want to go to a match just to come in dead last or near to it, all the while shelling out a big chunk of your salary.

I hope this gets off the ground, I hope to find some folks close by that put on a few matches and I really hope that we don't end up with another "clique" that, for some reason, seems to plague the shooting sports.

10 shots @ 100Y = 1000

10 shots @ 400Y = 4000

5 shots @ 600Y = 3000

10 shots @ 500Y = 5000

Total distance: 13000

divided by 35 shots total = 371Y average.

--Fargo007

Question for Fargo007 and LowLight as a Match Director. This is a sucky question and I hate to even bring it up. We hold F Class "style" matches also (Actually more so than tactical matches). Not being tactical in anyway, could their participation and scores still be entered into the TRL? In your algorithm 20 shots X 1000 yards = well 1000 yard average. As you know they are good wind reading practice, with some training value, but not tactical in anyway.

CW
Marksmanship Training Center

Last edited:
Question for Fargo007 and LowLight as a Match Director. This is a sucky question and I hate to even bring it up. We hold F Class "style" matches also (Actually more so than tactical matches). Not being tactical in anyway, could their participation and scores still be entered into the TRL? In your algorithm 20 shots X 1000 yards = well 1000 yard average. As you know they are good wind reading practice, with some training value, but not tactical in anyway.

CW

I can't answer for Fargo007 or LowLight but one of the fundamental differences between F/Class style shooting and Tactical shooting is the stressor whether physical(barricade, movement, awkward posistions, etc) or mental(Unknown Distance, Time, movers, etc). If you took those 20 shots in 2 minutes off a bipod (no front rest) with no spotters. I would surely count that as a stage. The stressor in this case being time. But that wouldn't make up a match IMHO either.

Not my decision at all but my view is that these two things don't belong together for score comparison purposes. F-Class is its own separate sport with its own separate place to record results and classify shooters. It's true it's good training, and I tried my hand at 3x600's as well. But training and competition aren't the same and shouldn't be co-mingled as if they were.

That doesn't mean you couldn't use the F-Class match as a springboard to get more shooters into the tactical style game. Point out that it's the perfect place to bring out some of the lighter rifles they've got (yeah, they consider our rifles ultra light) that they hesitate to shoot F-Class with. Not to mention the long range experience they've got behind them in F-Class sets them up for a chance at a good finish right off the bat. Most that come to this sport are ground-up and aren't cross-overs from something else. It's been my experience that cross-overs from XTC and smallbore do extremely well once they get their gear sorted out. They are already disciplined and know how to compete. I haven't had a hardcore F-Class shooter yet but I have to imagine that would go the same way.

--Fargo007

Without classification/divisions, it's only another PRS series that allows every match to be a "league" match. The only proposed difference would be that someone would be collecting and comprising data and you wouldn't have to pay membership dues. That could be done within the PRS series too if someone wanted to.

I had the impression that the TRL was going to be more than that. That there was a goal to break the elitist feeling for some about the PRS and some features that would promote long range shooting on a bigger scale. Something to attract new guys so they aren't so overwhelmed by the ability of the top guys. Like I said, there are organizations that have figured out how to achieve those goals.

The biggest difference is that on a local level someone who's new to competitive shooting can show up to a monthly match pay his $20, have a fun day of shooting, meeting new people who share their same interests and learn some things each time they show up on how to improve without investing heavily in time and travel expenses or even committing to joining any sort of league.
But each month their scores are posted and if their interested in seeing how their progressing they can check the site and it gives them a gauge each month of how their doing.

Now someone who is fairly proficient at local level competition but has never wanted to fly to a match or drive more than 4 hours may suddenly find at the end of the series that their qualified to go to the regional finale that's 8 hours away and their buddy's from the local club are going also, so they all car pool and hit the match, have a great time and two of them finished high enough to get into the National finale at the SHC.

Its an easy avenue for someone to stair step their way into a bigger competition even if they never had plans in the beginning of ever attending one.

CW

Frank this is one of the biggest reasons I suggested the "Unique targets" to equal the playing field a bit more for matches that shoot at multiple targets at shorter distances. 10 shots prone at 800 or 1000 is easier than 9 separate targets at 8 distances from two barricades in 90 seconds.

My original thought to was to use other disciplines to bring people along.

The target for the match in the box is pretty much designed to be used like F Class but with a different course of fire shot in the same place. So it's more square range friendly and mixes things up a bit more.

I really don't want to avoid the F Class matches at local ranges, but I think there may have to be some limit on them numbers wise. Which if you can mix it up with a few match in box type events, same ranges, just adding in some positions and stuff, you can then double your expose and services to your members.

I am getting close to being caught up, and with the weather coming in, I should be able to sort a lot of this out and create the new sections to clear up some of the suggestions

ok, as this thread went in so many directions, let me ask a few things in regards to a meager little mid range steel fun match i do during the summer and for similar ones out there that may be interested in TRL:

my match has no affiliation or sanctioning to any other competition as many others are in the same boat; many / most of my target's MOA sizes at distance fall within the proposed sizes for their distance along with the positional shooting, barricades, etc. - in fact my already established match in it's sophmore season incorporates 11 out of the 15 point values proposed - so could this "fun match" be able to meet the criteria for a qualifying match for shooters for TRL and be used by TRL for standings / rankings in bigger comps?

i only get 12-15 shooters per match with maybe only 3-5 of them shooting the separate "tactical" styled side COF and the rest wanting to plink off the bench, but i believe that if it qualifies as a TRL match, more shooters will come out of the woodwork, and whatever the match in a box targets would be, would lead to more consistency across different types of matches held across the board, and that this TRL is a great idea.

i understand the MV BC thing, IMO it's a good for more or less putting in a handicap system that takes into account elevation and wind vs. shooter skill within the MV BC, leaving all those nasty equipment rules that leave alot of shooters in the cold out of the mix. shoot what you bring, either falls in one or another category with similar similar shooter's choices to use, just switch up ammo type if you want to do better. it may take a little homework on the MD's part to find both for joe blow shooter that shows up with factory non gucci ammo and no clue what BC means, but that's ok, google makes it easier. don't know why that was so hard to understand that concept. i do believe in bolt heavy barrel / sporter barrel and semi heavy barrel / sporter barrel divisions, don't know if the MV BC thing can filter out those rifle differences though.

i like the concept that a MD doesn't have to adapt their existing matches to meet TRL, just apply the TRL standards to what they are already doing, +1 on that! don't know why LL had to repeat that over and over and over again.

at first i missed the reasoning behind the number of shooters per match, but then found the reasoning a few posts back. just to confirm, it's to rank how good or how much a particular event sucks vs. other matches so a shooter can figure on which ones to attend? if so, a somewhat good idea to rate or value a match, but on the flip side contrary to some of the objectives on page 1:

1. may not promote smaller struggling "fun matches" to be attended by TRL shooters as a lower attendance brings down the match rating / value.

2. a limited amount of firing positions available or shooters that can shoot during match times may hinder it's growth for TRL based on attendance. good matches that have good COFs may get "penalized" just because they are held on smaller facilities with generally lower attendees.

i think that the shooter attendance "metric" may give a false value to the quality or lack thereof of the match's COF. in other words, a match with a good setup and the potential to be a great match to shoot by an individual may have a low shooter attendance and therefore making it appear less attractive to be attended by other shooters. IMO whether it's 3 or 300 shooters, a match value and a shooter's performance should reflect the quality of the match and COF fired, not how many folks attend it - it doesn't make sense to do so. of course by changing up the targets from match to match will indeed change the match value enough.

obviously a match's "value" will change by default if the targets are changed up a little, but IMO the attendance circumvents that value. sort of like having a 57 chevy convertable, you can fill it with blonde and red headed models for a few hours, when the chicks leave, the value of the car is the same.

i like the round count for different sized targets at several distances and positions (avg. distance factor) as the way of ranking the match value, but using the estimated round count as a stand alone metric is redundant as it's already being factored in on the "avg. distance factor". at that point a round count should be used as a guide for how much ammo to bring...the 15 ways of scoring gives a shooter a feel for what a match's value is based on shooting a perfect score & max round count anyway.

perhaps, and just a suggestion, that the shooter attendance "metric" be relooked to be omitted and maybe the number of targets / stages / distances / that are already incorporated are a more stable platform to be the "metric" for a match's "value"?

for shooter classification - as discussed before a 1 time classifier at a set range (suggested 100yards) will complicate and add another stage to an alreay busy MD's schedule. we all have an off or on day at the range, if the classifier as suggested is on either one of those days, it's not reflecting the shooter's true performance grouping a not so good shooter shooting with better shooters, or the other way around. if you already have a match value (or difficulty level) and a shooter's score, maybe a simple ratio between the two equals the shooter's temporary classification. maybe 3 scores in a row equals the classification, and you move up to the next higher classification when you shoot 3 scores in the next higher classification range, as in silhouette.

score alone can't be used as classification as the cross section of different matches shot will vary greatly and scores are depenant on the type of match shot. as many distances of matches a cross the nation can range from 400 to 1000 or more yards with various targets, some type of ratio of shooter score vs. course difficulty could make it a more level playing field too. a ratio (whether it's match value divided by shooter score, visca versa, or multplied by each other or something else) will be easier on everyone without adding small local matches to add yet something else, and can be performed on the existing COF of the match itself----just a thought.

i apologize for my ramblings and again i don't know my match or similar local matches qualifies, or that i may be missing something from the beginning, but i'm taking it as that the objective on page 1 is a shout out to start it's own entity / sanctioning type body (TRL) without all the BS most sanctioning bodies put into place that hinders growth in it's own sport.

if my humble little match does qualify, i would definitely....proudly like to include it in your TRL program.

Last edited:
There is no reason why you're match would not qualify as there is nothing to qualify. In fact it's the opposite, your small established match would benefit from the exposure and hopefully this would help increase attendance.

One of the things we talked about was preventing guys (5 or 10 ) local friends from holding their "own" little match, sure it can be challenging but you can quickly get used it to and excel. This would warp the score for these guys. If they shot the same local match with 10 guys over and over and someone travels to different matches, it would give the impression the guy stretching his skill and legs is not fairing as well as the guys who stick to home. That is why we have included some determining factors. However this has no bearing on the match itself. It's free to do whatever it wants.

Understand, if you, as the match director decides 15 is our limit, that is your choice. So you have to realize that will offset the consideration. It can be the most difficult ELR type match available, but if only 10 guys can shoot it. That factor has to be taken into account. However we would rather you use this site and it's resources to find out you can potentially shoot 40 people, and because of the efforts put forth, you get 40 shooters each and every month. That is what we want to see.

But you match rates, there is no discrimination, only the objective offsets we put forth so your 10 shooters don't appear to be the world's best. Unless of course they attend a regional and win, then attend a National and win... at which point I would think people would look to you see what you're doing so they can replicate it.

ok thanks for taking the time to read that and reply. i may have been reading too much into the match rating and shooter classification thing.

i know that due to my range times for the event and shooting line restrictions / space at my club, i'd be hard pressed to get 20 shooters through a TRL course, but do believe that participation in this will bring out a few more Hiders in my area that go to the bigger events.

Just out of curiosity what is the average size of steel in MOA used for prone off the bipod in tactical matches and also am asking the same question for positional shooting on barricades or similar?