• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

As 2014 Approaches does this need to be addressed ?

Right now you just need:

Your score, basically the number of shooters and your final placement, along with your BCVf

17th out of 62 shooters
BCVf

I still think after ranking and looking at it, we can use a simple Average Range number to fairly give weight to your score. So if the average range of the match was 645 you'd get 6.4 points. I doesn't alter the overall number in a big way but balances the differences in matches on a small scale. We ran the numbers down to the detail and the results were the same, the number was different that was all. It's easy and creates a weight.

We will be adding the match ranking which will be optional. This will rank a COF for the competition for informational purposes.
-Range
-Target Size
-Position
-Time

The overall scoring will be based on 200 points per match. This will allow larger matches to not run into a problem as several are talking about allowing 100 or more shooters.

Winning any match will get you 200 points. From there we'll have a 2 points drop to 50th place. After 50th place we'll have a 1 point drop down to 200.

1st gets 200pts, 2nd gets 198 points, 3rd gets 196 points, to 50th. Then it goes down from there, 51 gets 99 points etc.

I think this is a bit more future proof over the 50, 75 or 100 points per match that was discussed earlier.

On top of this, I see us using the Average Range Shot offset. So your ARS Score will be added to the overall points. ARS /100 = ARS score.

If the average range shot is 550 yards, you add in 5.5 points to your overall score.

So a 10 place finish would be 185.5 points

Why go with that model over the %winner model?

This model with a finite difference between places doesn't allow for a runaway winner of a match to get any benefit for such a performance. Nor does it bunch up the scores really tight if there's a group of guys that are all shooting on the same level and only a shot here or there is discerning the difference in a match?

If you're concerned about future proofing the concept, the %winner scoring model is permanently future-proof. Nobody can get more than 100 points and nobody can get less, you could have 1000 shooters in there and other than organic ties there's no issue assigning places for every single one of them.

Additionally, on the finite-points model proposed there's no incentive to a winner blowing doors off, additionally there's a disincentive for guys that are close to keep close, as the scoring model artificially pushes them apart.

I've seen a bunch of matches where 1 shot decides the top 2 guys and in a 1500pt potential match, a 757 won with a 747 being second place. Those two shooters were ~!150 points ahead of the field

Such a model with discrete point values would do a disservice to the top 2 guys who were only ~1.3% apart but were ~20% ahead of 3rd place.

The difference in TRL score for that situation was along these lines: (I'm working from memory of the 2011 Reade Range Summer match)

1 - 757
2 - 747
3 - 610
4 - 585
5 - 530

It was a 1000yd match and the average shot was about 640yd, so that would be a 6.4 ARS award.

%winner model:
1 - 100+6.4 = 106.40
2 - 98.67 + 6.4 = 105.07
3 - 80.58 + 6.4 = 86.98
4 - 77.27 + 6.4 = 83.67
5 - 70.01 + 6.4 = 76.41

Discrete Place Model
1 - 200 + 6.4 = 206.4
2 - 204.4
3 - 202.4
4 - 200.4
5 - 198.4 --> 96.12%

To me, that looks like a disproportionately large incentive for 5th place when by all there, the first two guys whooped up on the entire field. I've been on both sides of the fence on that. Putting up a large win margin is cool, it doesn't really make the win bigger or smaller IMO, but if I was running in a series and had an event like that I'd be pissed that there was no recognition or buffer that I could build up in the event that I suffer an equipment failure or have a bad day at a match.

Will all events count toward a shooters overall TRL score or will it be limited to the best 3 finishes (or something like that)? I know a lot of guys who are able to attend a lot more events than me. I will be disappointed if I finish lower in an overall points race by a guy that I've beaten at 3 matches, but he earned more points by participating in more events even though he finished near the bottom each time. Make sense?

I did my own case study on this based on our 2013 series just to see what would be involved for me as an MD.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AtSr2kaqAtDtdFJybUpXcnRZZXVqZTIyeWlocDNvTUE&output=html

It wasn't oppressive at all.

I computed the average shot distance by taking the total distance of a stage with each shot fired, so 10 shots at 500Y was 5000. A CBS at 300Y was 300. I came up with 399.51, so 400Y avg. shot.

I estimated the shooters BCVF based on my recollection of what they were shooting. This is just a swag so don't nobody email me and say "I wasn't shooting THAT..." I classed them up.

I then ran a TRL based formula starting at 200 and trickling down two points at a time. Added the shot average to that.

Is this all that needs to be done?

This particular sheet has three different scoring systems in play on one sheet.

1 - % of the CoF (650 max points)

2 - Curve scoring (showing bohem's post above)

3 - The TRL 200 point model

Let me know if I am on the right track. I need to have hands-on with things like this to fully understand them.

--Fargo007

Nicely Presented, Fargo. That looks like my understanding as well and re-illustrates the point that I was making where someone that puts a hurt on the field loses the majority of their advantage with the 200point discrete system as opposed to an adaptation of the %win system.

I like the idea of the ARS factor and the BCVF lays out a pretty even split in classes.

In the TRL 200 point model, if I'm understanding it correctly, it doesn't take into account that finishing high in a large match is weighted any different than a small match. If you finish 5th out of 5 total shooters (ok, as really small match) you still earn 192 points. Is that correct?

In the TRL 200 point model, if I'm understanding it correctly, it doesn't take into account that finishing high in a large match is weighted any different than a small match. If you finish 5th out of 5 total shooters (ok, as really small match) you still earn 192 points. Is that correct?

It is. You make a good point but simply put the sport is more/less popular in different geographic regions. Also the ranges availability. Not as much wide open land on the east coast as in the south. Don't know how they would factor that out.

Yes, another good point and another reason why I'm advocating against that model in favor of one that curves from the top finisher's score.

It is. You make a good point but simply put the sport is more/less popular in different geographic regions. Also the ranges availability. Not as much wide open land on the east coast as in the south. Don't know how they would factor that out.

While that's true I've seen some matches in PA and OH that are usually heavy with attendance but for odd circumstances they were under attended or outright canceled. I shot a match this summer that had 26 registered and only 13 showed up due to family emergencies and illness and last minute job accomodations.

Should that match be counted the same as if the #13 shooter was up against 25 other people? I would say no.

Since it seems this is headed to set up a classification system (something I don't really like or recommend), maybe looking at how other shooting organizations run them will help

I'm posting this just to give you ideas. Maybe it will help. This can be tweaked to fit Precision Rifle as well I would think.

Classification System

NSCA members are assigned to one of seven (7) classes in which they will compete. To maintain the integrity of the classification system, all NSCA members shooting on the course where an NSCA Registered Event is taking place must register their targets. All registered events using the NSCA classification system will offer all classes. A classification card will be provided to all shooters, and the card must be shown at registration every time a shooter registers for an event.

A shooter’s classification carries over from one shooting year to the next. All new shooters will be assigned a class. During the current year, a shooter is subject to reclassify UPWARDS ONLY (with the exception of appeals).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Changes in Classification System

Effective January 1, 2013, the following changes will take effect:

A shooter who has never shot any registered clay targets will be assigned Class E.

The new punch count required for moving up in class will be as follows:
•E Class to D Class – 4 punches
•D Class to C Class – 6 punches
•C Class to B Class – 8 punches
•B Class to A Class – 12 punches
•A Class to AA Class – 14 punches
•AA Class to Master Class – 20 punches

Other provisions will remain as described below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Determining Class

There are seven (7) classes a shooter can classify into: Master-AA-A-B-C-D-E.

A shooter who has never shot any registered clay targets will be assigned Class “D”. A first-time NSCA member who has shot registered targets with any clay target organization other than a Sporting Clays association (i.e., NSSA, ATA, NRA, International skeet or trap) and has been classified in “A”, “AA” or “AAA” class will be assigned an NSCA class that is one class lower than his/her highest class attained in that clay target association. If the first-time member has not shot a sufficient number of targets in any other clay target association to be assigned a class, or if their class is “B” or below, they will be placed in NSCA “D” class.

A shooter from another Sporting Clays organization, (i.e., USSCA/SCA, CPSA, F.I.T.A.S.C., Non-Registered Sporting Clay Events) will shoot their earned class or higher.

A person who purchases an International Shooting membership or a regular foreign membership will be placed one class higher than the highest registered class in sporting or parcours de chasse, whichever is higher in their country’s association. If a new International Shooter or regular foreign member does not belong to CPSA, another recognized Sporting Clays organization, or if there is no Sporting Clays organization in that country, the new member will be placed in the following classes:
•AA Class or higher, if known ability applies, for those who qualify for NSCA concurrents
•Master Class for all others

A shooter may be classified based on his/her “known ability.”

Moving Up in Class

Shooters earn their way out of class by shooting the high score(s) or tying for the high score (s) in class.

In NSCA Nationals and US Open (main event only)
The top five (5) scores and all ties in each class receive four (4) punches; the sixth and seventh highest
scores and all ties in each class receive three (3) punches; the eighth and ninth highest scores and all ties in each class receive two (2) punches; the tenth highest score and all ties in each class receive one (1) punch.

In all events using the NSCA classification system, except the NSCA Nationals and US Open main events
Shooters will earn punches based on the number of entries in their respective class. Punches are awarded as follows:
•HOA – The shooter with the highest score and all ties in an event, where there is a minimum of ten (10) total shooters, shall receive a minimum of one (1) punch no matter what class the shooter is in.
•0–2 shooters in class – No punch is awarded
•3-9 shooters in class – One (1) punch for high score and all ties
•10-14 shooters in class – Two (2) punches for high score and all ties; one (1) punch for the second highest score and all ties
•15-29 shooters in class – Four (4) punches for high score and all ties; two (2) punches for second highest score and all ties; one (1) punch for third highest score and all ties
•30-44 shooters in class – Four (4) punches for high score and all ties; four (4) punches for second highest score and ties; two (2) punches for third highest score and ties; one (1) punch for fourth highest score and all ties
•45+ shooters in class – Four (4) punches to first, second, and third highest scores and all ties; three (3) punches for fourth highest score and all ties; two (2) punches for fifth highest score and all ties; one (1) punch for sixth highest score and all ties.

It is the shooter’s responsibility to determine these punches and move up one class after reaching the following number of punches:
•E Class to D Class – 4 punches
•D Class to C Class – 4 punches
•C Class to B Class – 6 punches
•B Class to A Class – 8 punches
•A Class to AA Class – 10 punches
•AA Class to Master Class – 16 punches

Note: Punches must be earned in the shooter’s current class for them to be used in moving up in class. A
person earning more than the necessary punches to move up in class enters the new class with no punches.

In events of 100+ entries, it is the responsibility of shoot management to notify all shooters of their move up in class or punches received. The shooter is also equally responsible to shoot in his/her proper class and to inquire and inform shoot management of any move up at the next tournament entered.

Upon entering a shoot with multiple events, a person will remain in the class he/she started in for all events held, and any punches he/she earns will be awarded at the conclusion of all of the events at that shoot. A shooter cannot be moved up more than one class at the conclusion of the registered events based on punches; however, a shooter can be moved up more than one class based on KNOWN ABILITY.

For more details on the Classification System, moving up in class, appealing a classification, being classified based on known ability, and more, see the NSCA Rule Book, whose definitions and rules regarding classification are the final authority.

Yes, another good point and another reason why I'm advocating against that model in favor of one that curves from the top finisher's score.

While that's true I've seen some matches in PA and OH that are usually heavy with attendance but for odd circumstances they were under attended or outright canceled. I shot a match this summer that had 26 registered and only 13 showed up due to family emergencies and illness and last minute job accomodations.

Should that match be counted the same as if the #13 shooter was up against 25 other people? I would say no.

Both models share the distance curve (+4 in my example), which I think worked out to a fantastic idea. That's an objective, easily computed, and universally fair factor.

Neither the TRL nor the leader-curve model account for the fact that serious points can be earned by showing up at a five person match, kicking four kittens, and walking away with a wheel-barrah full of points.

There is no credible way to attempt to equalize the matches by difficulty, but it's totally possible to consider the quantity of competition. .....

So how about scaling the max TRS points or leader-curve points directly based on the number of attendees, and having the drop down from the max steepen accordingly as the pot goes up?

1-25 competitors: 100 point match. 100, 95, 90, 85, 80.. down to 50, then 49, 48, 47

26-50 competitors: 150 point match. 150, 140, 130, 120.. down to 50, then 49, 48, 47

51-75 competitors: 300 point match. 300, 285, 260, 245, 230... down to 50, then 49, 48, 47

75-100 competitors: 400 point match. 400, 280, 260, 240, 220... down to 50, then 49, 48, 47

100+ = 500 point match. 500, 475, 450, 425, 400..... down to 50, then 49, 48, 47

I don't know if I have the numbers right here, but you get the idea.

Seems this would still reward a good shooter who attended a big match and did well, and also the guy who can hit a lot of smaller local matches as well.

--Fargo007

I am good with the % of the Winners' score... if that seems to balance it out and reward a high finisher, then that is the direction it should go.

But I am find with dumping the 200 points and going to percentage of winner..

Missed this part,

Why not add in an offset for size...

1-25 shooters 5 points
26 to 50 10 points
51 to 75 15 points
76 to 100 20 points
100+ 25 points

to use a competition curve ... Shooter Attendance Value SAV score.

Missed this part,

Why not add in an offset for size...

1-25 shooters 5 points
26 to 50 10 points
51 to 75 15 points
76 to 100 20 points
100+ 25 points

to use a competition curve ... Shooter Attendance Value SAV score.

Makes sense to me. I would recommend to shape it a little differently considering most local matches I attend in two states are usually 20 shooters max, with the larger ones being the 24's and 25's.

So start that off at 1-20, 21-50, etc.

It makes the local match that manages to grow a little become more important, and that's what we are after here I think. It also rewards the match director who succeeds at taking his match to the next level.

So it's the SAV, plus the ADF (avg. distance factor) plus the shooter curve (%100 score). And shooters are classed by BCVF.

--Fargo007

Think that looks pretty good, Fargo great breakdown on the Google doc.
The % breakdown on score will definitely help separate out the field much better than the sliding 2 points per position and add more value to shooting well at the match.
The SAV is also pretty straight forward and is good to have in the calcs too.

I updated the spreadsheet to include the SAV and to compute the final TRL# off the curve score.

Thanks guys, I just needed to go through this exercise to fully understand it see how it will look, and to measure how much work it would be for an MD.

How much work? NOT MUCH. A few extra columns and a block-drag formula.

I don't know what's being contemplated at the head end, but at the very least we will have to record first/last names. Nicknames and "Jocko G" won't be unique enough. Just an admin consideration.

--Fargo007

It's obviously going to be a challenge to figure out how people shooting totally different types and sizes of matches will be fairly and realistically ranked against each other since they never actually have to compete against each other.
For example,
Bob and the same 10 local guys meet once a month for a "match in a box" 200 yard match at the local gun range on paper targets and Bob wins every time and submits his twelve 1st place scores for the year to the TRL. Also, Bob shoots a .308 with 175 SMK's at 2550 fps because its a short range paper match.
Fred shoots only three matches this year and gets 1st at the Sniper's Hide Cup, 3rd at Steel Safari, and 1st at the GAP Grind. He submits his results to the TRL. Fred shoots a .260 with 142 SMK's at 2820fps and he also used a 9mm pistol on several stages at the GAP Grind.
Joe is in a private shooting club in Nebraska that puts on six "invitation only" matches a year. All shots are taken from the prone on 3 MOA or larger steel targets. The longest shots are 1500 yards. Joe won four of the matches, got third in one, and 15th in the other. He also submits his results to the TRL. All six matches filled with 40 shooters. Joe shoots a 6.5 RSAUM sending 140 hybrids at 3200fps.

Which one would be ranked highest in the TRL?
Is that fair?
Is he really the best shooter?

Who would you pick?
Come on, Bob won 12 straight matches using a .308...
However, Fred won the biggest match in the country and never got worse than third all year....
Lets not forget that Joe won larger matches at further distances than Bob and had more first place finishes than Fred...

Now take those situations and scenarios and multiply them by 1000+ shooters instead of three!
It's a huge challenge with no simple answers. I applaud y'alls efforts and will be really interested to see what develops.

Last edited:
FWIW...I think this is a great idea. I am new to this and have been lurking here for the past year or two. I have really been wanting to join some competitions and as was mentioned early on, its pretty intimidating. (1) I am somewhat new to LR/tactical shooting and didnt want to sign up and be completely embarrased by most of the other shooters (2) most matches, that were close enough, had a limited no. of shooters and I dont really want to take a spot that someone "more serious" might really want. (3) other matches that sound interesting are so far away that it would take 6 months at least to schedule around work for travel time, the event, etc.

I will definitely sign up. I like a ranking system. I have shot IPSC and IDPA matches for years - well at least until I moved out to the sticks - so I am not new to competitions. Having even some informal matches, more often, in more places, would be outstanding. I will be very interested to see where this goes and will be involved in it, for sure.

It's a challenge to figure out how people shooting totally different types and sizes of matches will be fairly and realistically ranked against each other if they never actually have to compete against each other.
For example,
Bob and the same 10 local guys meet once a month for a "match in a box" 200 yard match at the local gun range on paper targets and Bob wins every time and submits his twelve 1st place scores for the year to the TRL. Also, Bob shoots a .308 with 175 SMK's at 2550 fps because its a short range paper match.
Fred shoots only three matches this year and gets 1st at the Sniper's Hide Cup, 3rd at Steel Safari, and 1st at the GAP Grind. He submits his results to the TRL. Fred shoots a .260 with 142 SMK's at 2820fps and he also used a 9mm pistol on several stages at the GAP Grind.
Joe is in a private shooting club in Nebraska that puts on six "invitation only" matches a year. All shots are taken from the prone on 3 MOA or larger steel targets. The longest shots are 1500 yards. Joe won four of the matches, got third in one, and 15th in the other. He also submits his results to the TRL. All six matches filled with 40 shooters. Joe shoots a 6.5 RSAUM sending 140 hybrids at 3200fps.

Which one would be ranked highest in the TRL?
Is that fair?
Is he really the best shooter?

Who would you pick?
Come on, Bob won 12 straight matches using a .308...
However, Fred won the biggest match in the country and never got worse than third all year....
Lets not forget that Joe won larger matches at further distances than Bob and had more first place finishes than Fred...

Now take those situations and scenarios and multiply them by 1000+ shooters instead of three!
It's obviously a huge challenge with no simple answers. I will be really interested to see what y'all come up with.

I roughed your scenario a couple different ways and added them to my spreadsheet. Actually this is a new sheet called Bob-Fred-Joe. These are just hamhock swag numbers.

The second comparison list them with the distance factor as a 10x instead of a 1x. I like the influence this has on the results a lot better because distance is the only equal difficulty element we can enumerate.

It depends if we are going to count by limited frequency (e.g. your best three), the average of all, or some other equalizer. Because one could simply not report or avoid reporting any shitty score they want. The fix for this is that the match is announced as a "TRS reporting match." No opt out possible even if you screw the pooch. Anyway, I ran them this way so a comparison would be visible.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/pub?key=0AtSr2kaqAtDtdFJybUpXcnRZZXVqZTIyeWlocDNvTUE&output=html

I point out that Bob wouldn't compete against Fred/Joe by class.

--Fargo007

@Lucks

You're mixing matches, local matches and larger national or regional matches are two different thing.

Your score in that case allows you to move up to a national level and doesn't imply your on equal ground with someone already on that stage. Plus you can clearly see by the range offset someone who shot 200 yards vs a guy who shot a match with an average range or 600 yards or more.

Bob can come to the Cup, but his 200 yard skill set might not translate the same. Same as the club match allows winners to qualify for a PRS event.

What Bob can see is how he compares to similar events. Plus we are adding in the optional match rank.

I like where this is going, since we've moved past the discrete scoring model I'll skip the demonstration why the %winner match still works better for a 5 person event.

It's less complicated too, which everyone's aware of being a big + to me.

The SAV is an interesting bit of information, well done Freddy.

Thanks bohem. Someday you gotta tell me WTF that name means.

Plus you can clearly see by the range offset someone who shot 200 yards vs a guy who shot a match with an average range or 600 yards or more.

For the ADF: Are you going with the Avg. shot/10 or the Avg. shot/100? I would strongly recommend the 10, otherwise the most objective match-to-match comparator we have becomes statistically meaningless.

Plus we are adding in the optional match rank.

Still needs to be finalized (unless I missed it).

Also TBD: How many match scores are going to be counted toward a persons final TRL score? Best 3? Worst 3? Average of all? Or cumulative/simple sum? (more you shoot, better you do).

-------------------------------------
ETA: I think the average of all with a minimum of five scores to play is the best approach. The best (n) doesn't work. You will have lots of local "Kings of a smaller hill" who could produce five wins a season and be all statistically tied. This approach also normalizes the King of a Smaller Hill who always won his 200Y match but came to a longer distance match and got crushed.

The AoA lets the traveling rifle ninja shoot upwards of 20 matches of all different kinds if he wants, and the local match only shooter still play.

It's a batting average. Everybody understands that.
-------------------------------------

--Fargo007

Last edited:
I have read all of this and maybe I missed something. There seems to be an idea of ranking a stage or a match based on the averaged distance shot? This would only be applicable if all matches were required to use the same size targets which may be exactly what you are proposing. (match in a box maybe, alot of info here so I may have missed that). I find the 300yd and closer stages to be some of the most difficult at many PRS matches.

I have read all of this and maybe I missed something. There seems to be an idea of ranking a stage or a match based on the averaged distance shot? This would only be applicable if all matches were required to use the same size targets which may be exactly what you are proposing. (match in a box maybe, alot of info here so I may have missed that). I find the 300yd and closer stages to be some of the most difficult at many PRS matches.

Let's agree that match directors generally apply target sizes and distances reasonably and consistently. Or shooters don't come back. I'm not aware of any match using targets the size of barn doors at distance.

Basically, your observation might be true, but it can't be compared objectively. Distance can. Maybe those were more difficult for you than for others? And the PRS matches you shot likely also had a fair helping of distance shots in them, no?

Distance means difficulty. It:

1 - Causes a range estimation to potentially be made. (HUGE difficulty contributor)
2 - Increases the effect of any wind(s).
3 - Increases the likelihood/presence/effects of mirage.
4 - Increases the effect of parallax.
5 - Increases the chance of error in manipulating one's equipment to make the shot (dialing correct dope), or ranging a target on the correct magnification level.

The factor is there to call attention to the fact that winning a match that has an average shot distance of 650Y is generally harder than winning a match that has an average shot distance of 150Y.

Not speaking for anyone, but those are my impressions as to why distance matters, and needs to be considered. It's also the only factor we can look at from 10,000 feet.

--Fargo007

Velocity X BC = BCVF

2900 X .61 = 1769

BCs will be held to 2 places as in .58, .47. etc.

The Limited Division will be BCVFs under 1575 with the Open Division over BCVFs over 1580.

Just to give people some ideas on Limited vs Open with Popular Bullets:

155 Scenar - 3150 FPS - Cut off for Limited
140 Berger Hybrid - 2581 FPS - Cut off for Limited
140 Amax - (rounded down to .58) - 2715 FPS - Cut off for Limited
140 Amax - (Rounded up to .59) - 2669 FPS - Cut off for Limited
105 Berger Hybrid - 2863 FPS - Cut off for Limited

Looks like Limited division will favor short barrel 6mm 6.5mm Catridges.

I like the idea of a 16.25" 6mm/6.5mm. Has to be super handy.

OK, so what BC do we use?

If a 3rd party test BC from someone like what we did for the 33's in Vegas or the work that Bryan Litz has painstakingly published puts a BC out there and it's more than 0.01 different than the manufacturer BC which should we use?

Case in point:

The Hornady 105 Amax 6mm pill is listed by Hornady at 0.510
Bryan publishes the test value at 0.493

That means for a limited class gun the speed limit is

1575/.51 = 3089 fps
1575/0.49 = 3215fps

There's a big disparity there, most of the bullet maker BC's tend about 5-7% higher than the test values seen annecdotally by shooters and the tested values from folks with access to acoustic test platforms or Radar ranges like Barnes now has. There's enough difference there that it would be something to iron out now instead of at a match event where someone's risking a DQ for being in the wrong class.

The 7mm 162 Amax is another good case at 0.625 published and 0.599 tested from Applied Ballistics Ed 1

2520fps x 0.625 vs. 2630fps x 0.60

If we use the Manufacturer claims I think it's more in line with the intent of the Limited and Open classes as the BC's are higher and it will push velocities down for staying in Limited. I can't think of any bullets that are listed with lower BC's than what Bryan or I have experimentally determined, as a whole the industry tends to over-estimate the BC.

Last edited:
If your desire is to build consistency you need objective standards.

USPSA/IPSC did this with a standard target (the IPSC cardboard and steel target, and Pepper and Mini-Poppers calibrated to 9mm), power factors (Major/Minor, guns and ammo chrono-ed on-site), a rules book, and Range Officers trained to a generally-standardized set of procedures out of the rule book.

The bigger the game or gaming population (and area) the more important it is to maintain consistency. Too burdensome and you start getting outlyers and "Bootleg" matches and clubs.

Even the National Match Course has two sets of rule books (CMP and NRA).

Your rules may change as your game evolves. My experience with IPSC showed they moved the Major/Minor goal posts a couple of times, and IPSC has different targets than USPSA. There are also a whole lot more categories, or categories have evolved as gun laws and game performance have changed.

Last edited:
OK, so what BC do we use?

I based my numbers off of and am suggesting manufacturers advertised as its the only one truly guaranteed to exist for every bullet.

You are right about the disparity though. Even looking at rounding a 140 amax(.585 to .58 or .59) you see a difference of 46 FPS. Which one could reasonably say is anywhere from 1-2" of barrel length.

Edit***

To add if you use Litzs numbers for the 105 Amax of .493 (.49) you can push it 3214 FPS(or the limit of 3150 FPS) and still be in limited! WOW!!!

Last edited:
I based my numbers off of and am suggesting manufacturers advertised as its the only one truly guaranteed to exist for every bullet.

You are right about the disparity though. Even looking at rounding a 140 amax(.585 to .58 or .59) you see a difference of 46 FPS. Which one could reasonably say is anywhere from 1-2" of barrel length.

Edit***

To add if you use Litzs numbers for the 105 Amax of .493 (.49) you can push it 3214 FPS(or the limit of 3150 FPS) and still be in limited! WOW!!!

Yeah, that's why I made the comparison that I did in particular. If you're not shooting a Berger 105 Hybrid but rather a Berger 105 VLD, 108 LRBT, 107 or 105 SMK, etc you can get some screaming speeds from them, the disparity in published BC makes it even more difficult.

I added this above:

If we use the Manufacturer claims I think it's more in line with the intent of the Limited and Open classes as the BC's are higher and it will push velocities down for staying in Limited. I can't think of any bullets that are listed with lower BC's than what Bryan or I have experimentally determined, as a whole the industry tends to over-estimate the BC.

Peace/Bohem,

Good catch....

I think you guys have revealed a hole in the screen door. Launch a real rat turd of a bullet (low BC) real fast to still get the velocity.

3089fps 105 amax in the same class as a 77 SMK/2770 isn't what anyone intended.

That could be addressed with a flat speed limit for the class in addition to meeting the BCVF. Both must be met or you are bumped into open. Perhaps Limited being >=2850?

I really see three bands in actual practice, not two. The 308's, 223's and slower 6.5s, the faster 6.5x's, and the fast 6mm's, magnums and faux-magnums like 6.5x284.

--Fargo007

Peace/Bohem,

Good catch....

I think you guys have revealed a hole in the screen door. Launch a real rat turd of a bullet (low BC) real fast to still get the velocity.

3089fps 105 amax in the same class as a 77 SMK/2770 isn't what anyone intended.

That could be addressed with a flat speed limit for the class in addition to meeting the BCVF. Both must be met or you are bumped into open. Perhaps Limited being >=2850?

I really see three bands in actual practice, not two. The 308's, 223's and slower 6.5s, the faster 6.5x's, and the fast 6mm's, magnums and faux-magnums like 6.5x284.

--Fargo007

In terms of performance I think a 3000fps limit is probably more realistic for the following reasons:

140 and 130 class 6.5's are sometimes impossible to find (IE look at the past year) and people have to change bullets. You can take a 123 Amax or 123 Sierra to 2950fps safely with a 260 sized case and have less performance than the 140's at 2800 but a 2850fps limit or a 2900 limit would push that person into Open just for the sake that they couldn't get components.

If you downrate the 6's to 3000fps you're back to Frank's intent of having the 6.5 shooter's skill being able to out the 6mm skill much more easily without artificially putting someone into a new class over component availability. Also, 3k gives up a lot of that wind and drop advantage when the bullet's BC is 100 points lower than the one going 2800fps.

Peace/Bohem,
Good catch....
--Fargo007

Personally I'm against the breakdown for BC/MV as not many shooters are running .223 Bolt Guns(okay some are running .223AI) but the majority or so of the .223 guys would all be in Gas gun division.

So what we are really proposing is a place for the .308 and variant (7mm/08, etc) and short barrel 6.5 bolt guns to play.

Why bother?

Even under Fargo's proposed speed limit and BCVF I would still take a 105 Hornady Amax at the Speed limit over a 175 SMK everyday. The lighter recoil and better BC would win out. Even a moving 175 SMK at 2850 is still inferior to a 105 Amax @ 2850. Its close in BC at that point but the 105 turd still wins out. In addition, I never envision myself in limited anyway but my point is that even in limited you are going to have guys that push rules right to the line and back off a hair. The idea of a short barrel bolt gun shooting 6mm at 2850 is very enticing. You can keep running the speed limit down too and the only thing that says to me is make the barrel shorter giving me a more maneuverable and lighter rifle.

If barrel burning 6mm are the enemy. Then say no 6mm.

*Edit* Now that I scratch my head a little bit, wouldn't the 6mm/6.5mm dominate the gas gun division too?

Last edited:
Running the numbers I was surprised and started running the data. I'm running a 185 juggernaut at 2680 from a 20" .308 and have been competing hard with it and not having much of an issue running against the 6.5's. I have the similar wind hold of a 6.5 with heavies. Now say a 6mm running 105 amax's at 3150 is now in the same power class! 8" less wind and 90" less drop at 1k!

I've now transitioned to 6.5 creedmoor for next year but you can see a 140 hybrid would have to be running a max of about 2550 to stay in that same class!

I've seen a lot of newer shooters running .308's and they typically are running 175 smk's or amax's and they would get SMOKED by the 6mm ballistics at those allowed speeds.

Personally I'm against the breakdown for BC/MV as not many shooters are running .223 Bolt Guns(okay some are running .223AI) but the majority or so of the .223 guys would all be in Gas gun division.

I don't think we want to drop as low as 2850 because of what I posted above, however someone that's regularly competing with a 223 bolt action is already aware of their handicap. So there's 2 ways to remedy it for them without complicating everything else for the majority of shooters (since even the guys running 223 gas guns know they're at a disadvantage already):

1) Faster twist barrel with 90gr Bergers using a 0.55 BC --> 2750 * 0.55 = 1513, it's not such a big handicap anymore and I have an 18" bolt running 90's that fast so it can be done
2) Get a bigger straw and understand that your platform is uncompetitive even with the least capable 308's out there, so as harsh as it sounds either step up or deal with it.

Let's ask this next question: Would we be making excuses for guys that have 12tw 223's and can only shoot M193 55gr ball? No, so let's keep the inclusion and fairness pandering in check a little bit. Those that seek to compete with a 77SMK from an AR15 are running in a DMR class and it's a known loser to a bolt gun at long range due to the ballistic disadvantage, the only guys I know doing that regularly are doing it on purpose.

A third class specifically set for 5.56x45 type rounds in an AR15 platform and listed as "DMR" would be the quickest way to solve the issue and give the guys with a 9tw AR15 a way to compete in their own class. That setup is so rare in matches over 400yd anyway that I really think it's another case of playing the IF GAME too much and being to exclusionary to regular match rifles so that the AR15 guy can play. There's a darn good chance that the guy with a gun competitive in DMR also has a bolt gun or large-pattern AR that's competitive ballistically in the Limited Class

Remember the focus is to try and grow the sport. Having a limited class that's so utterly limited that all it winds up containing is a .223 and 105 amax's at nearly 3100fps is insane.

"Go get a bigger/faster gun" sounds too much like "no place for you here."

Telling people they are in the game by simply snapping a different upper on their AR is a huge growth potential for this sport that has remained almost completely untapped. A DMR or gas gun class accomplishes that, sure.

Military/LE lines should at least be given some thought when drawing up the classes. At least in terms of making sure such platforms are included somehow in a range where they are not completely dwarfed. The .308 is in huge play there, like it or not. In gas and bolt guns. So is the .223. I'm not saying carve a bubble out, but that's the connection to reality, like it or not because that's what's being used.

I know it's competition, but to me it has to have at least one tentacle reaching into the real world or it no longer remains relevant.

--Fargo007

I know it's competition, but to me it has to have at least one tentacle reaching into the real world or it no longer remains relevant.

--Fargo007

This is why I say

LEO/Mil Category - You don't have to be a LEO/MIL to shoot in this class it just means you are using .223 or .308
Open

Sort of makes it like F/TR and F/Open. Ironic huh?

That's one way to go after it, and it would work although I would prefer the problem were solved from a higher altitude for a few reasons. Namely it's by nomenclature, and not by performance, which is what matters and how the line should be drawn. As your sample numbers pointed out, if it's only by caliber, fast 155's in a .308 can alter that playing field a LOT.

It may take a couple seasons to really shake this issue out. None of this is a barrier to launch.

--Fargo007

So what we are really proposing is a place for the .308 and variant (7mm/08, etc) and short barrel 6.5 bolt guns to play.

Why bother?

Even under Fargo's proposed speed limit and BCVF I would still take a 105 Hornady Amax at the Speed limit over a 175 SMK everyday. The lighter recoil and better BC would win out. Even a moving 175 SMK at 2850 is still inferior to a 105 Amax @ 2850. Its close in BC at that point but the 105 turd still wins out. In addition, I never envision myself in limited anyway but my point is that even in limited you are going to have guys that push rules right to the line and back off a hair. The idea of a short barrel bolt gun shooting 6mm at 2850 is very enticing. You can keep running the speed limit down too and the only thing that says to me is make the barrel shorter giving me a more maneuverable and lighter rifle.

If barrel burning 6mm are the enemy. Then say no 6mm.

*Edit* Now that I scratch my head a little bit, wouldn't the 6mm/6.5mm dominate the gas gun division too?

Or lower the BCVF to even the playing field again for the 308 shooters, which was my intent to begin with.

Peaceatwar... If barrel burning 6mm are the enemy. Then say no 6mm.

Haha, I'd rather see the old dinosaur cartridge experience a extinction event myself.

Okay, I am not caught up as I have been away ? But what is the issue ?

I say, manufacturers BC, the higher number rules...

If the 15XX is too high, we lower it a tick... I would have to go back and look at it, but like someone pointed out. If you step up using an AR/223 you already know you are at a disadvantage. If you are using a 308 you have options to level the playing field against the short 6.5s... you have the heavier bullets going slower or you have a 155 going fast. I 155g at 3000fps is a 260 in its own right, you have options and the ability to run down the 6.5s going slow.

If someone wants to have an 18" 6.5 and compete in the limited field, okay that is on them. (see options for 308)

But what we don't want is a strictly 308 only class so lowering the number to do that is against the intent.

Remember the focus is to try and grow the sport. Having a limited class that's so utterly limited that all it winds up containing is a .223 and 105 amax's at nearly 3100fps is insane.

"Go get a bigger/faster gun" sounds too much like "no place for you here."

Telling people they are in the game by simply snapping a different upper on their AR is a huge growth potential for this sport that has remained almost completely untapped. A DMR or gas gun class accomplishes that, sure.

Military/LE lines should at least be given some thought when drawing up the classes. At least in terms of making sure such platforms are included somehow in a range where they are not completely dwarfed. The .308 is in huge play there, like it or not. In gas and bolt guns. So is the .223. I'm not saying carve a bubble out, but that's the connection to reality, like it or not because that's what's being used.

--Fargo007

This rationalizing really doesn't work on hard numbers, it works on emotions or a bias for a specific platform. The excuses in the name of being inclusive for newbies however it's really just a way to fight for a DMR gun to be competitive in Limited when it really isn't and we all know it. The disparity in capability between a DMR 223 running 77's is so far out of bed with even a 308 with M118LR ammo in it the argument is a total red herring when we look at numbers.

Also, the current state of the industry completely contradicts that we will have a 223 and a speedy 105Amax only. It currently doesn't happen whatsoever and it's an outright open class. There are 2 people I know running DMR guns in these matches, 1 of them is Fargo and he does it with an open admission that he's taking the hit in performance knowingly adn doing it as a training tool. So creating a class biased to run for 950-1250 BCVF's "for new shooters" because of these 2 red herrings is biased completely, I was going to leave it alone, but this is too much to just let sit since the rules now will affect so many shooters down the line.

The example of a 5.56 running 77's @ 2770fps is a 1025 BCVF
Comparably a 175SMK @ 2650 is 1259 and that's supposed to be a limited class (albeit lower level, limited class) caliber
The 185 Jugg @ 2700fps is 1501! almost 50% higher value than the 223.
Or, as was popular about 2 years ago the 208 Amax over RL17 in a 26" 308... at 2576-2600fps --> 1640... Blatantly an Open Class load, all with a 308

"Get a bigger/faster gun" because I said we need to curb the fairness train somewhere? Exactly, the application is unrealistic for the problem statement at hand. Let's look at the 1025 factor by addressing my question above with the 55gr bullets in a M193 spec, which is a 500m application.

Since M193's aren't a "match bullet" let's look at an equivalent weight 22c bullet at an equivalent speed, for sake of argument this is a very popular varmint load, the 55 Blitzking and it runs 3350fps from my old 20" upper, 3375 from the 21" upper I have now, and 3300 from the 18" upper that my friend owns.

The 55 Blitzking is a 0.295, so 0.3 and 3300fps

That is a 990 BCVF, only 35 points behind the 77SMK load, approximately 3.2%

Is the 55 Blitz a reasonable application here? What if someone has a 12tw upper and doesn't have a 9tw upper to shoot the 77's? "Get a faster barrel twist"

sounds too much like "no place for you here."

The solution there for "Being Fair and Including New Shooters" would be DMR class, which Fargo has pushed before. Dumbing down "Limited" to the point that a 308 with 185 Berger bullets (1500+) or 155 Scenars (1400+) in there doesn't fit into "Limited" because we're including 223's in an AR15 is foolishness for growth of the sport. I have no issue with the DMR class provided it is 223's only and 10x or less scopes to limit the arms race. An 18" 308 with heavy bullets in an AR10 is far more capable than the 223 as I showed above via BCVF, it doesn't belong in the DMR class whatsoever.

If the argument is to be inclusionary and we're not going to have the equipment race, then make DMR what it really is, a <600yd class with lower tech. Then you have no powers over 10x, basic mil-dot reticles only.

An upper limit BVCF at 1575 includes very reasonable level between the 6.5's and the 7's and the 308's using the newest and heaviest bullets in here.

"A 3000fps 105 Amax it is 8" less wind at 1000yd"

So look at that 8" as a matter of subtension instead of 8" It's a touch over 0.2mil out there. Always bring it back to the numbers as the shooters see them, it's not 8" it's 3/4 MOA or a little more than 0.2mil on 2+ mil wind call

That 105 Amax at 3100fps has a 0.2 mil benefit on a 2.2 mil wind hold. 10% on wind with a 308 adn with a 140 Amax at 2800fps the benefit is a complete push.

So, base the comparison on actual ballistics instead of emotional reactions to "it's a fast value and it's a 6mm, therefore it must be bad" the perceived "massive benefit" washes away or becomes a disadvantage in wind call when the "right bullet" is chosen for a 308, 7mm or 6.5mm with another Limited class caliber.

Numbers rule here and we all have access to JBM's tools, so let's use them and be smart about it. I think Frank's initial level-set of 1575 and 1580 being the line in the sand works very well and I ran a lot of numbers through JBM at 600 and 1000yd to look at it.

Last edited:
"Get a bigger/faster gun" because I said we need to curb the fairness train somewhere? Exactly, the application is unrealistic for the problem statement at hand.

Growing the sport means stopping the arms race SOMEWHERE.

Gas gun, DMR, or making the classes work, I think there needs to be room to cultivate that. I wouldn't get into the weeds with which reticle, scope, etc.

Numbers rule here ...

No disagreement. I'm concerned only that the lines are set right. The "numbers" from real life instead of a calculator also show that a .223 AR can be competitive in 600Y matches. Remember, we're talking about LOCAL matches for the most part here. I'd venture to say the bulk of the TRS reporting matches will be 600Y or LESS.

I am one of the two people. But I wasn't completely honest when I said I shot it all year as a training tool. Laziness also played a role in that I cranked out my inexpensive match ammo quickly and effortlessly on a 1050. But I learned so much from forcing myself into that year-long exercise. The platform is in my opinion the most underrated rifle you will see on the line. Take the handicap and shoot one for a year and you'll see. Yes, I evangelize and I get caught. But I do so because I shot one for a full year so far, and have seen the potential.

I think Frank's initial level-set of 1575 and 1580 being the line in the sand works very well and I ran a lot of numbers through JBM at 600 and 1000yd to look at it.

I'm fine with that. Classes exist to form even comparisons. I want a place at the table for everyone that is reasonable so nobody has to sit on the ottoman at Thanksgiving. Nobody should ever be told to "go get a different gun." However that works, cool.

--Fargo007

So here is the laziness question, do you just split the gas gun section and drop the numbers down ? ( which without having run them I suspect will hurt better 223 bullets) because the issues isn't a bolt gun here but opening the door to the much easier to find, get, get started with AR15.

If we already have the class, is splitting it a big issue ?

I would say to make that decision among other changes in year 2 and start it off simple with a simple Gas gun class for now and that's that.

There really aren't that many running gas guns in the local matches I ran for the past four years. As much as I want it, not enough to justify the split off the bat.

If gas gun attendance picks up because that class exists, we'll know it's popular and attracting attention. It can be addressed then.

--Fargo007

Growing the sport means stopping the arms race SOMEWHERE.

--Fargo007

I think the arms race is one of the things that will help grow the sport by attracting interest...but recognize that a new shooter needs to be competitive and have a chance at a recognition and possibly rewards....that's why I suggest breaking down the matches by actual shooter performance and not equipment used.....I like the idea of ranking matches by difficulty and the formulas suggest minus wind adjustments look reasonable. Give the division concept some thought, everyone shoots what they want and comes up an overall score.....these scores are broken down after the match into three or more divisions. These could be equal thirds like my earlier example or something based off % of match winner.