• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Attaching an Atlas to a Hogue Stock...

Kalman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 17, 2011
Dallas, TX
I've got a Hogue overmold stock for my Remington 700 SPS-T AAC:SD 308 Win. It's got a single swivel up front. I've been looking at getting an atlas for it, but not really sure what to do on the sling rail. I see that you can get one from seekins precision, but that would require me to add another hole to the stock. Are there any options that wouldn't require me adding another hole to the stock?

Re: Attaching an Atlas to a Hogue Stock...

No you need 2 stud holes. you can use the Seekins SRS get the short 2" hole spacing one that way you can still fun your sling of the rear off it we do a lot of them and i have one on my model7 in a manners ultralight stock. the other advantage is you can run a weopons light at night on the same rail while walking around making it very versitile. Kasey at Accu Shot also has short rails and the kits for the screws in the stocks so you can do the job right the first time.

Ok, thanks for the news, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear. I'll have to figure out what I want to do with it. I'm thinking I might pick up a 5R take off and trade it off. I dunno, need to do some thinking.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Kalman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, thanks for the news, even if it wasn't what I wanted to hear. I'll have to figure out what I want to do with it. I'm thinking I might pick up a 5R take off and trade it off. I dunno, need to do some thinking. </div></div>

Personally...I wouldn't waste my time installing a forward rail on the Hogue stock. You are going to end up further weakening an already weak stock that is prone to flexing at the forend when you use a bipod anyway. If you get the HS Precision stock, all you'll need to do to install the Seekins rail is unscrew the 2 swivel studs, place the rail on the forend and bolt it on using the 2 swivel stud points with the bolts that are provided with the rail...in and done in a matter of minutes with minimal effort. The HS stock will not suffer from the same weaknesses as the Hogue stock and won't flex like the Hogue will when you load up your bipod.

You might need to be careful loading it up to much due to the flex in the stock. You will want to leave your swivel and pan loose or you will torque your stock and get into the barrel

Personally...I wouldn't waste my time installing a forward rail on the Hogue stock. You are going to end up further weakening an already weak stock that is prone to flexing at the forend when you use a bipod anyway. If you get the HS Precision stock, all you'll need to do to install the Seekins rail is unscrew the 2 swivel studs, place the rail on the forend and bolt it on using the 2 swivel stud points with the bolts that are provided with the rail...in and done in a matter of minutes with minimal effort. The HS stock will not suffer from the same weaknesses as the Hogue stock and won't flex like the Hogue will when you load up your bipod. [/quote]

Hey, it only took three posts before the OP was told to get rid of the Hogue stock!

Yeah, I've been considering ditching the stock. I've been going back and forth on it a little bit. Might just have to bite the bullet and do it. Cost me a net of 400$ between the stock, rail, and bipod. /sigh... I'll figure it out.