• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Back surgery today!!!

jwp6114

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 8, 2008
Newnan, GA
Laid up in the recovery room. Had a double laminectomy and a discectomy... Kinda feel like someone stomp'd on my tail bone at the moment... Be back up to full speed soon I hope.

Any surgery sucks. Back surgery has to be one of the worst. Feel better soon and speedy recovery.

Thanks man, I have been an active member of the hide for quite some time. The support from folks around here is awesome, regardless if its gun/ammo/reloading advice or a discussion on well anything...

When they tell you to take it easy for however long. Do it.
I felt better started back to normal life too soon, and now 5 years later have massive scar tissue and hurt constantly.

Feel better soon

When they tell you to take it easy for however long. Do it.
I felt better started back to normal life too soon, and now 5 years later have massive scar tissue and hurt constantly.

Feel better soon

Pay close attention to what this man said. I speak from personal experience. Take our time and heal completely.

They rotor rooted my L5 S1 the day after my 23rd birthday. The greatest relief of pain I've ever felt. I was starting to drag my right leg. Luckily, I was out patient. The one piece of advice I would give is heed the weight limits. Good luck on a speedy recovery. Hopefully, you'll never know they were in there.

Had the same surgery as you. I was home the next day, standing straight, could lie down flat with no pain. I still cannot lie down to shoot though, never will be able to again due to RA. Good luck on your recovery.

Had the same surgery as you. I was home the next day, standing straight, could lie down flat with no pain. I still cannot lie down to shoot though, never will be able to again due to RA. Good luck on your recovery.

How old are you sir? I don't have any RA... I'm 28, hope to be able to shoot probe after full recovery...

I'm heading for that surgery too. I was hit by a drunk 14 yrs ago and at the time they wanted to fuse four of my vertebra (mid back area), I said fuck that, I'll deal with the occasional pain. I'm glad I did because now 14yrs later I can just go in and get the three bulging disks trimmed ground down. I'm still trying to put it off (because I'm terrified of the surgery) but your story helps. Any tips for somebody looking at the same kind of surgery?

Shop around doc's for one you comfortable and confident with. Dr. Boden the lead surgeon at the Emory spine center in Atlanta did mine... Ask as many questions as u can come up with... Other than that, increasing pain will coax you into it.

I'm headed for this same surgery. I'm 34 and deal with every day pain. I was diagnosed with early onset Degenerative Disc Disease (something everyone will experience if they live long enough) ten years ago. I have bulging discs in my L spine that is causing me daily issues.

How old are you sir? I don't have any RA... I'm 28, hope to be able to shoot probe after full recovery...

I just turned 60 on December 24th. I have a strong feeling that most of the members here are under the age of 40. My neck is fused due to a type of RA, Ankylosing Spondylitis, so I can't arch my back or lift my neck much more than a few degrees. Doesn't mean I still can't pull the trigger though.

All I can say, is enjoy your youth to the fullest, cause some day it will be gone and it ain't coming back!

Down time 3months for my first surgery, 2003
4 months for my second surgery, 2005

first surgery was no good, scar tissue grew back into my spinal column crushing nerve to my left leg
Uncle shit brick sat on his ass for 2yrs complaining about cost etc
Yep i kid you not
A full bird Doc told me "well we can you fix you, or we can fix ten other guys"
only time i didnt reel the wife in, she pert much told him to go fuk himself, thats how you repay guys injured in combat etc etc etc
So my doc on base is like we fix that BS, i will refer you downtown and then the MIl will have no say.
So surgery number 2 done @ UC davis by real surgeons vs the mickey mouse crew
Today i survive on various opioid pain killers, have constant pain and weakness in my left leg, pins n needles pert much 24/7 and CRPS in my left leg below the knee into my foot.

Healing is a long slow process, the first time walking is unbelievably painful ... well for me
Anyway best of luck

JWP,

I hope you get better soon, but like everyone says, don't push it. Follow the directions and we'll see you at HR soon.

Take care,
DocB

Good Luck and speedy recovery.
Do the PT and don't push recovery.

T7 mass ..... whops wrong level
T8 mass .... Dr. said it was gone
C4 fussion...
L4.L5 Lam/Disc
L4.L5 Lam Redo
C6 fussion
L4 Redo
L5 Redo
L4.L5 Redo
T8 Whops... Mass not gone ....Fire Dr.
T7.T8.T9 Mass removel with new Dr.
L1...L5 unstable....fuse L1..L5 with new Dr.
S1 and T12 failing due to fusion stress.
Dr.1 came highly recommended and very nice guy ... Just sucked as a Surgeon
Chose you surgeon with care and a lot of research.

Yup, get to look forward to a c4-c5 and maybe a c5-c6 fusion as well. Had pain for 3 years, finally go it diagnosed a year ago. Tried the epidural cortizone injections, got 3 weeks of relief. PT has no effect. Sick of pain killers and NSAIDs, cronic heartburn now from them. Waking up with a splitting tension headache and shoulder pain has finally pushed me over the edge. Doc said I am looking at 4-6 weeks before I go back to full duty. I just want the pain to stop. Hope yo get better fast. I hear the lower back ones are not as bad as upper, but upper ones are more successful. Hope there is truth to that.

I had horrible hip and leg pain, and nearly no back pain. the pain ended me up in the ER where they told me my back was VERY messed up. I had bone spurs and impingement at L4-5 done, now zero leg or hip pain, and back is fine.

follow docs orders, especially when you feel a bit better and get bored. following doc's directions pays HUGE dividends later. I am extremely glad I stuck with the instructions.

Hope you are healing up well. If anyone has any questions about back surgery please feel free to PM me and I can probably answer some of them. Had surgery myself when I was 20 (college wrestling injury) and have been involved in several thousand surgeries since then ( I can explain if you PM me).

Good luck and speedy recovery

I too will chime in here. Back in '04 my pelvis got busted in 4 places, as well as a number of other injuries and breaks. Including a fair bit of back trauma. NSAID's are what gets me through the day, though I hate those bastards. First chance I got, I weaned myself off the Oxy. I've adjusted myself to 'taking lesser meds and dealing with more pain' than to be on those things.

I won't deny that they (oxy) are great for taking away the pain, and giving one more 'abilities'.... but when you come down from them (not to mention the side-effects) that is a world I just don't want to live in again.

I can't do near what I used to, physically. Problem is, my brain still thinks I can. So yeah, I "get myself into mischief" according to my Lady. Then pay for it for the next few days.

No, I ain't a Combat Vet. I don't presume to be one, nor do I imply that things are the same. ALL I AM SAYING is that these injuries suck, and that if you have a good doc, follow the regimen that they prescribe. It truly is your best chance at recovery. Or at least 'partial recovery'. I continuously tried to push through things in my process, and am still paying the price for it/them.

Don't make my mistakes.

mtorment, I'll say that your post intrigues me a bit, so I'll send that pm to you. Maybe you know something about how I can get my pelvis put back together. THAT would be great. In a utopian fantasy world so far, up here.

The best advice anyone can give you is to do lower back and stomach exercises religiously once you recover. Do not get lazy about it unless you want to end up right back on the operating table. Also get a good stretching routine. You would be amazed how keeping your legs especially your hamstrings flexible can relieve back pain. I had the surgery ten years ago and got total relief, now after being lazy the past couple years and not keeping up with my exercise routine I have the pain creeping back.

Speedy recovery and rest rest rest, I had L4 and L5 done back in 2002 and still have issues since I didn't listen to my Doc's.

I'm heading for that surgery too. I was hit by a drunk 14 yrs ago and at the time they wanted to fuse four of my vertebra (mid back area), I said fuck that, I'll deal with the occasional pain. I'm glad I did because now 14yrs later I can just go in and get the three bulging disks trimmed ground down. I'm still trying to put it off (because I'm terrified of the surgery) but your story helps. Any tips for somebody looking at the same kind of surgery?

They want to fuse four of the seven bones in my cervical spine thanks to some arse who hit me. I've been holding out for artificial cervical disks. Not only are the nerve roots to both arms and hands pinched off, but my spinal cord is pinched in two places -- makes the stingers and hands going to sleep or feeling numb feel like nothing. The FDA should be approving a cervical disk for two level surgeries some time this year.

Artificial disks for the lower back have *I believe* been used for much longer. I would look into those and speak to multiple doctors if you have to.

Moved a safe by myself a few weeks ago and something popped in my lower back. No doubt I'll have surgery there to look forward to in the future as well. Oh joy.

Shit, just went back and read some of the other posts. Lots of broken people out there. Damn.

For those of you holding out, for example, for artificial disks, and living with pain management -- please be careful. I suspect we all know someone who's been hooked on Vicodin. Guys get deep into these prescription painkillers and some lose their wives, their jobs, everything. Lord knows with serious back trouble you're liable to have things much stronger than Vicodin so be strong.

Last edited:
Shit, just went back and read some of the other threads. Lots of broken people out there. Damn.

For those of you holding out, for example, for artificial disks, and living with pain management -- please be careful. I suspect we all know someone who's been hooked on Vicodin. Guys get deep into these prescription painkillers and some lose their wives, their jobs, everything. Lord knows with serious back trouble you're liable to have things much stronger than Vicodin so be strong.

You're so right, on that note. As I stated previous, I got off the Oxy's as soon as I could. As it is though, I'm now taking a number of T-4's a day. Never heard of them, until he gave me a script for them. I only ever heard of T-3's until then. So many of them, and Indomethacin as well. I call them my 'meth' pills. HA.

Now, considering how they're working for me, he's talking about the Fentanyl patch. I'm very VERY leery about it, as I've no knowledge of those things at all. Anyone out there have experience with them?

Back problems ain't fun. No sir. Not in the least.

They want to fuse four of the seven bones in my cervical spine thanks to some arse who hit me. I've been holding out for artificial cervical disks. Not only are the nerve roots to both arms and hands pinched off, but my spinal cord is pinched in two places -- makes the stingers and hands going to sleep or feeling numb feel like nothing. The FDA should be approving a cervical disk for two level surgeries some time this year.

Artificial disks for the lower back have *I believe* been used for much longer. I would look into those and speak to multiple doctors if you have to.

Cervical artificial disks have worked much better. I am speaking about the units with an articulating plastic ball. I do not believe sucessful lumbar discs have been proven yet, probably there is just too much load in that area.

German doctors pionered the articulating disc, some people go all the way to Germany because they have been using them for 20 years.

Herniated disk myself and 7 other surgeries not to mention 3 procedures. When they took me in for back surgery last thing I remember in the operating room was that big floodlight and what looked like a crash cart junk yard. Get her done dude.

Cervical artificial disks have worked much better. I am speaking about the units with an articulating plastic ball. I do not believe sucessful lumbar discs have been proven yet, probably there is just too much load in that area.

German doctors pionered the articulating disc, some people go all the way to Germany because they have been using them for 20 years.

I've never heard of one with a ball in it. I'm pretty sure the FDA approved the first lumbar disc in 2004. The first cervical disc in 2007. There are no cervical discs currently approved for two level surgeries. It may very well be that the cervical discs work better -- though I was told the opposite and I thought the approval dates meshed with that view. But I may certainly be wrong. I know they've been doing them in Europe for quite some time. I'm not yet ready to go overseas for this, however.

Best wishes to all you out there with back problems. Mine has been been hurting for a year so I go in next week to check my options. In the mean time I am lucky enough that one position that doesn't hurt in prone behind my rifle.

Please follow those "No bend lift or twist" limitations to a "t" ; I was sent back to work and into a too aggressive PT too soon and ended up with a second fusion 2 years later.

best wishes to the OP on a speady recovery.

To High Binder: there is a good sticky on the Spine-Health.com website specifically on preparing for back surgery - including a list of questions to ask potential surgeons as well as the preparation/must have advice.

Anyone seeking patient-patient advice on back surgery please feel free to email me, BTDT x 2 lumbar fusions and every possible injection/procedure available before surgery including rhizotomies. There are some back docs on this board too ;) .

Last edited:
You're so right, on that note. As I stated previous, I got off the Oxy's as soon as I could. As it is though, I'm now taking a number of T-4's a day. Never heard of them, until he gave me a script for them. I only ever heard of T-3's until then. So many of them, and Indomethacin as well. I call them my 'meth' pills. HA.

Now, considering how they're working for me, he's talking about the Fentanyl patch. I'm very VERY leery about it, as I've no knowledge of those things at all. Anyone out there have experience with them?

Back problems ain't fun. No sir. Not in the least.

Fentanyl patches are stronger than OXY, stronger than heroine. I would rather take the oxy myself. I have been on both, but im much more functional on oxy. The patches fucked me up. Yeah I was feelin good, no pain, but I would rather have a little pain and be able to drive or operate equipment on oxy. Oxy is a wonder drug if used as directed. It's the people that use it to get high that gives it a bad name. Keep in mind that the patch can kill you if your not careful. Just a little drop of it gets in your mouth and you will fall asleep and never wake up. Suffocation from respiratory depression...

Been there done that

Walk Walk Walk
Don't do anything stupid..like lift stuff until U R cleared...

Best wishes for a good recovery

I'm 9 days post knife, I started weening off the Percocet at about day 5 and quit taking it. The docs didn't say I had to take until empty, but recently been feeling some negative nerve response, called the nurse and she said most people stay on the pain meds for at least the first 2 weeks so if your still having pain its normal. Was having tightness and pain in left glute and hammy last couple days so I decided to get back on the drugs. She also prescribed a mild nerve pain drug.

Oh and I'm just back from a 7 day ban ;) spare time laying around can cause trouble.

So be nice to the SH vendors even if they keep feeding you lines of crap.

Who knew that we had so many invalids here on the hide. :) I had a fusion on my L5 when I was 17 (I was born without the L5 vertebrae). Take it easy, dont abuse the pain killers and get your rest. Best of luck with your recovery, if all goes well you will be better than before your surgery, I know I am now.

I would say if you don't feel you need the pain killers, don't take them; if you can get by with Tylenol awesome.Also - although anxiolytics (benzodiazepines) often do help with muscle spasms too, if you are not of anxious nature ask to be changed to an actual muscle relaxer. With the exception of Soma, none of the pure relaxers are addicting or controlled substances (I take tizanidine aka Xanaflex =- not be to confused with Xanax like the idiot doc at Univ of Michigan); or cyclobenzaprine (Flexeril). My pain doc was VERY anti-benzo's and took me off them as soon as discharged from hospital/surgeon's care. I was on skelaxin too but it didn't do a thing for my muscle spasms.

13 days post knife, I can go the majority of the day with no pain meds but, I usually take 1 Percocet and 2 nerve pain pills (can't remember the name off hand) and still end up waking up half way through the night with mid back muscular feeling pain (my surgery was low back)
Really think my mattress is to soft.

Other than that I am walking almost 100% normal and am in minimal pain throughout the day. Slight pain in the tail bone (doc said that was odd) but I think it's just upset from sitting on a hard surface now and then.

Your tail bone hurts because you keep trying to wag your tail for the wife there Devil Dog...

Ha...

Can't wait to get back behind the rifle Bill, just about prep'd and loaded all the brass in the house...

13 days post knife, I can go the majority of the day with no pain meds but, I usually take 1 Percocet and 2 nerve pain pills (can't remember the name off hand) and still end up waking up half way through the night with mid back muscular feeling pain (my surgery was low back)
Really think my mattress is to soft.

Other than that I am walking almost 100% normal and am in minimal pain throughout the day. Slight pain in the tail bone (doc said that was odd) but I think it's just upset from sitting on a hard surface now and then.

Check out the Sleep Number Bed. My wife and I have one, and it is the best. You can adjust your side for your own personal comfort, and so can she...

How much that fancy mattress set u back?

Well, that's a good question. I bought one for my truck, about the third level of pricey-ness, and thought i'd get one for the house too. Of course, I was going to get a queen version of what I had, but, in deference to my dear wife, we got the one that cost twice as much, and was expanded queen size, and two or three steps up in quality.
It was worth it, though. $3500 with new pillows, waterproof cover, pillow-top, sheet set, etc.

That's a pretty penny... How long is warrantee and how long did they tell you it should last...

Might be a good purchase around tax time...

Ten year unlimited warranty. And, it really is ten years, not like most seally, etc, when they start to give way after a couple years. Internal spring mattresses create pressure points, and the springs tend to get weaker in areas. So, the Seally really isn't a ten year mattress while the Sleep Number is that and then some. It uses an air chamber within a foam and canvas-like cover. You can get pieces of this to replace ones that may wear out, although in six years I have not had any problems with mine in my truck, other than batteries for the controller.

As one wise older gentleman told me once, "Never skimp when it comes to beds or shoes, as you will be in one or the other all of your life..."

Back surgery survivor here, 10 years ago, it was like being born again, bed important, so are chairs, if you have to sell a gun and get a good chair to sit in. My back is acting up again so trying to releive the main through diet, but I know another op is in my future. Do all the PT, will say a prayer for you , I know the pain.

Sleep'd on a firmer bed last night... Slept all night, didn't wake up for extra pain meds. First good nights sleep in 2 weeks... My little girl liked our mattress so I se a swap happening.