• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Backup knife for the field

Cookieman8

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
May 15, 2018
West Virginia
Looking at adding another cheap backup knife to my kill kit. I've been using a havalon piranta for years with the 60A and 70A blades and I absolutely love it but want to have backup for just in case. Majority of my gutting, skinning, etc is deer, beer, and hog.

Been looking at the Mora knives and see tons of people use them but what model would you all suggest? Companion, 5.11, etc. Trying to keep it inexpensive and relatively all purpose.

I forget what model it is but there is one right under 40 bucks that is awesome.
16700411269408216386565871600212.jpg

Mora companion would certainly work. I’ve got a Kershaw Antelope Hunter with an orange handle that I always carry with me to go with my gerber vital. The full flat ground blade makes it easy to sharpen. I’ve probably dressed, skinned, quartered or deboned 10+ animals with it now

If you decide to go expensive then the ESSE 4 is also superb.
I have one and the blade is way too thick for normal field dressing and cutting up animal usage. At least in my experience with it. Works great for bushcraft tasks like it was designed though

Reactions: Cookieman8
I've used a Mora companion for years, for hunting, fishing, camping etc.

The Companion handles well and the steel sharpens well.

The plastic sheat is designed to hold the knife in such a way that the blade does not touch the inner parts of the sheat, this helps with hygiene.

Both the plastic sheat and the knife can be cleaned using hot water and detergent, like any other dishwashing.

Keep in mind the Companion is the cheapest offering from Mora, some of their other models are even better.

I have 2 inexpensive knives that have gutted and / or skinned dozens of deer.

1. Utility knife - I use the folding type like the older Husky / Sheffield designs, not a fan of the newer style with the roller to change blades. These work great, blades are cheapish (get the Bi-Metal; you're welcome:) compact and extremely handy for many other tasks. I've yet to try the hook blades for gutting..... The standard sheetrockers utility knife gets the job done, too, and has 3-4 extra blades inside the handle, might be the best $5 you'll ever spend?

2. Fillet knife - Awesome for cutting meat and getting into tight areas, can do pretty much anything not involving bone. Sharp, lightweight, available in many lengths and blade thicknesses, available at almost every tackle shop or sporting goods store across the country.

Best of luck!

Edit to add: Old Hickory has a few knives that would make a good backup as well. I have a few and have processed many deer with them over the years. Not the greatest steel, but the price is right, they are full tang and can split a rib cage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cookieman8
I use a cheap Rapala filet knife along with my knives of alaska main knife (Elk Hunter)

No issues.

I do 100% of my own processing and has worked on many critters.

Havent tried the Mora and will given the chance.
Tough to mess with a tried and true set up though.

One thing to consider since you use disposable blades currently.
Good quality steel blades take longer to sharpen BUT hold their edge much longer.
Frequent touch ups on a ceramic keeps them working very well for a long time.
I go easy when working around joints to not beat my well tuned skinning blade.

I really like D2 steel for these blades.
Have tried others, that just works well for me.

I appreciate that input fellas! Sounds like the mora companion will be on the list. At the price these knives are sold, I may even buy one of the more expensive ones as well. How does the stainless steel mora compare for more money?

I keep a good Victorinox boning with my havalon in the kill kit, incase of having to bone an animal in the field (did that last week). I ran out of blades on the ol havalon and the boning knife was all I had left.

We have cheap Henkel paring knives in our bags. Use Havalon knives typically though. My nephews outdoor research knife was really nice to use though, and I have one on the Christmas wish list.

If you decide to go expensive then the ESSE 4 is also superb.
Used the ESEE3 this year and worked great from gutting to skinning. To deboning meat.

Reactions: Rerun7
I have 2 inexpensive knives that have gutted and / or skinned dozens of deer.

1. Utility knife - I use the folding type like the older Husky / Sheffield designs, not a fan of the newer style with the roller to change blades. These work great, blades are cheapish (get the Bi-Metal; you're welcome:) compact and extremely handy for many other tasks. I've yet to try the hook blades for gutting..... The standard sheetrockers utility knife gets the job done, too, and has 3-4 extra blades inside the handle, might be the best $5 you'll ever spend?

2. Fillet knife - Awesome for cutting meat and getting into tight areas, can do pretty much anything not involving bone. Sharp, lightweight, available in many lengths and blade thicknesses, available at almost every tackle shop or sporting goods store across the country.

Best of luck!

Edit to add: Old Hickory has a few knives that would make a good backup as well. I have a few and have processed many deer with them over the years. Not the greatest steel, but the price is right, they are full tang and can split a rib cage.
This post and another nailed it. A fillet knife is awesome because you can bend the blade into a bone and get all the meat. A stiff blade not so much. A fillet knife is on the table no matter the size of animal I’m working on and it always gets used, at a minimum on the backstrap and tenderloin. Believe it or not, I use a 6” or so blade - thin, bendable and easily resharpened.

I also use the hell out of Old Hickory. I have found that while they require frequent sharpening they do work very well and fit the hand better than most knives that have whatever the company views as an “ergonomic grip”. Chickens, pigs, deer and cows all have been dissected with an Old Hickory in the mix. I’m not a buckskin wearing reenactment type, but those blades are capable, very functional and leave money in the bank.

All that being said, Mora is the shit. Inexpensive and damned effective.

No matter what you choose you need a quality steel. Do not skimp here.

Last edited:
Dexter Russell for me when processing game at home or at camp.

In the field, I dont care about the ounces; it's a Dozier of some variety in my kit.

Couple Old hickory and a couple Rapala filet knives will disassemble many deer very quickly and easily. Two very underrated knife brands.

Mike

Reactions: Modoc
I've used a Mora companion for years, for hunting, fishing, camping etc.

The Companion handles well and the steel sharpens well.

The plastic sheat is designed to hold the knife in such a way that the blade does not touch the inner parts of the sheat, this helps with hygiene.

Both the plastic sheat and the knife can be cleaned using hot water and detergent, like any other dishwashing.

Keep in mind the Companion is the cheapest offering from Mora, some of their other models are even better.
This. I bought 4 of the cheapest orange Moras for my sons and myself about 4 years ago. I can split the ribcage on the biggest Kansas white tails with them. Very easy to touch up. Been tempted to buy one of their full tang options.

This. I bought 4 of the cheapest orange Moras for my sons and myself about 4 years ago. I can split the ribcage on the biggest Kansas white tails with them. Very easy to touch up. Been tempted to buy one of their full tang options.

Do you know which model this is?

May look at them for an orange handled filet blade for boning work.
Like that orange.
Tough to lose in the woods.

Do you know which model this is?

May look at them for an orange handled filet blade for boning work.
Like that orange.
Tough to lose in the woods.
It's the Morakniv Companion Fixed Blade Outdoor Knife with Sandvik Stainless Steel Blade, 4.1-Inch. Bought them on Amazon. $17.85 right now.

Reactions: powdahound76
I’ve been using an esee 3 for years for field dressing, it works great for gutting then I move to my outdoor edge for skinning. Filet knife for deboning/processing.

I have a mora too that I use for general tasks. Haven’t tried field dressing with it. It’s a little more expensive but they have a model with a sharpener built into the sheath. It’s great to touch it up as you are working on things.

I can put an edge on any piece of flat metal. That means exactly zilch.

Powda, I will happily send you a real knife if you need one; one that you can process ten deer with before it needs sharpening.

Powda, I will happily send you a real knife if you need one; one that you can process ten deer with before it needs sharpening.

I have several.
Just the idea of a spare doesnt suck.
Thats all.

Curious on 10 deer claim.

My favorite is D2 steel and 2 elk and 3 deer has it in need of a serious love session with some stones.

Even needed a decent edge tune on stones after 1 elk and 2 deer.

I have several.
Just the idea of a spare doesnt suck.
Thats all.

Curious on 10 deer claim.

My favorite is D2 steel and 2 elk and 3 deer has it in need of a serious love session with some stones.

Even needed a decent edge tune on stones after 1 elk and 2 deer.

Same. D2 only lasts me about two deer and I have to sharpen after each for my others. I’ve wondered if I should be using a different angle on the blade.

I’m not a fan of cheap knives usually but it’s hard to beat a buck 110 slim for a cheap knife. They’re $30-$35 online and if you have a rural king near you they’re $20 or $25 last time I bought some. I keep them as an extra in my vehicles, backpacks, and it’s what we use on our fishing kayaks in salt water and they hold up great for that as well. I’ve only ever had to replace them from losing them. They work great for processing game as well. They’re stainless and hold an edge well if you’re cutting stuff like game. If you start using it for cutting up boxes you’ll sharpen it a good bit but the blade sharpens very easily. A few passes on the fine side of a field sharpener and it’s razor sharp again.

With that said my favorite game processing knife is a 6”ish custom knife I got several years ago that’s VG10 and Micarta and for skinning something for the hide the CRKT Folts minimalist Bowie is my go to because I like a small knife for detail stuff like that and it sharpens easily to a scalpel. Buck 110 slim is my backup.

I have a bunch of Buck 110's (slim) stashed about. In each fly bag, predator calling bag, my car/truck in the garage,,, you get it. Another under rated knife for the money. I have given them and 112 slims to first timers (kids), if they ruin or loose it not a huge investment lost.

Mike

Reactions: 260284

Please enlighten me on said knife that can last that long, I'm not trying to be argumentative, I want to buy one.

To hold an edge the steel has to be hard. When you harden steel you make it brittle. There are ways to mitigate this with both compounding and tempering.
Between a super steel and an advanced temper you can make very hard steel. Is it “hard” to sharpen, yes. It doesn’t sharpen up with a few strokes, and to get even more edge retention often very good field knifes have a convex grind for edge retention, making them even “harder” to sharpen. Any steel that’s easy to sharpen is soft.
Nothing is free.

For a budget (<$100) skinning knife worth a shit I’d go with:
Reprofile the edge to a convex grind, and I guarantee it will go through ten deer (as long as you aren’t chopping bone (see saw and hatchet) before it needs sharpening.

It aint $18, but it’s pretty cheap for actual composite steel.

Looking at adding another cheap backup knife to my kill kit. I've been using a havalon piranta for years with the 60A and 70A blades and I absolutely love it but want to have backup for just in case. Majority of my gutting, skinning, etc is deer, beer, and hog.

Been looking at the Mora knives and see tons of people use them but what model would you all suggest? Companion, 5.11, etc. Trying to keep it inexpensive and relatively all purpose.
just get another havalon..

you love it
its not expensive
blades are interchangeable
small and lightweight

side note...i never understand why people want a different "lesser" backup
different training
unfamiliarity as its not your primary

if you are down to the back up...it better work, quality is not a option

wanting something different to play with, thats a different question...and knives are cool lol

Surgeons throw away scalpels after surgery. I’ve never used them, but it makes sense to me.

I will say this, there are at least five knives in my field bag (they are tools, and there is a correct one for every job) and I will have hatchet and saw at deer camp.

When I’m elk hunting in the back country for two weeks I pay attention to every ounce (I don’t even bring a tent). I carry one knife.
In a Hedgehog.
Edit: looks like they don’t make one for the S1 anymore…
Is it perfect for everything? No. Will it do anything and stay sharp? Yes.
I have a lot more expensive knives, but this is the one that will go with me when it counts.
There are plenty of other really good ones, but to me this is the AI, off the rack, one and done solution.

Last edited:
The Condor Terrasaur are a solid and inexpensive option for a back up knife. I have a handful for loaners and the like and they can be found +/- $40. Full tang, 1095 blade but a Scandi grind like the Mora’s.

I also just got my mom and I some CRKT Biwa’s for small bird/ trout knives for about $30.00 each with sandvik steel blades. One of my most used knives for everything has been an Esee Izula so I’m hoping the Biwa is a good contender for general purpose tasks at half the price.

The Condor Terrasaur are a solid and inexpensive option for a back up knife. I have a handful for loaners and the like and they can be found +/- $40. Full tang, 1095 blade but a Scandi grind like the Mora’s.

I also just got my mom and I some CRKT Biwa’s for small bird/ trout knives for about $30.00 each with sandvik steel blades. One of my most used knives for everything has been an Esee Izula so I’m hoping the Biwa is a good contender for general purpose tasks at half the price.
Just want to say since I have my Biwa in (far left) that for the price , I think it’s a solid option for a back up field knife imo. The scales are a little slick for me but the jimping is intense with plenty of bite. The sheath is also pretty nice for being rather inexpensive.

The pic is of some other smaller knives I have
for comparison.

Attachments

• 776525FA-75B5-4099-9D56-BBFB5D9B0588.jpeg
    776525FA-75B5-4099-9D56-BBFB5D9B0588.jpeg
    564.5 KB · Views: 56
These are great knives for dressing/butcher work. Inexpensive but good steel that holds an edge well and sharpens easy. I use the 5 or 6 inch. They used to be $12 🤣

Reactions: strow
I have a mess of different Mora models and prefer the 711 carbon steel with the "crinkle" type grip. It gets less slippery when wet or covered in blood. I have butchered and field dressed a pile of game animals and fur with the 711's. I put several chunks of bicycle inner tube on the sheath and jam a small ferro rod between the sheath and innertube...just in case.

The Esee Izula is another option if you want to keep weight and size down.

I recently picked up a couple of the new Buck paklite knives. Great for what you’re looking for in my opinion.
IMG_3482.jpeg
IMG_3482.jpeg

Reactions: Modoc