• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Barrel Length vs. range on 338 Lapua

m1a convert

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2003
Idaho Falls
I am getting ready to build and was thinking of a 27-29 inch tube since that seems to be the standard length for this caliber.

I am looking at one right now that has a 25" barrel. How much range am I giving up with a 25" barrel?

Thanks

Re: Barrel Length vs. range on 338 Lapua

I believe that there is approximately 50 fps per inch difference. I feel that there is a lot of controversy over barrel length. On the one hand shorter barrels are stiffer, lighter, etc. However, longer barrels offer that increased velocity for that extra edge at ELR. My Lapua has a 27 inch barrel and I have not personally experienced different lengths on it.

Something also to consider, as if there already wasn't enough, is what action do you plan on using. Since there aren't alot of factory/stock actions with the LM bolt face aftermarket recievers are often used. This, depending on the barrel length and contour, is a good thing. I think this is something you should discuss with your smith. You start getting a long heavy pipe hanging off the end of the reciever and depending on the one you use you can compromise the integrity/strength of the action. A good aftermarket reciever will likely make this a non issue but a lesser quality action and you could get into a flexing issue. Food for thought and something I would discuss with your smith before you start.

A 25" barrel is not going to destroy a lapua. You may loose 100 fps or so but it depends alot on the powder your burning and how many fps you could get out of that barrel. Barrels will vary a bit depending on how tight of a bore they have. If your not worried about shooting 1500 yards then it will work fine. I usually dont suggest anything less then 26" for a lapua. But if your not worried about streching it way out there it will work just fine for you.