• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

barrel maker quiry

arnie19

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 11, 2011
Ca.
Has any one had experience with ARD barrels .They are from ar15 depot. Im looking for a 24 inch bull in 308 . I have been getting a run around for about 9 months now from Lothar Walther and am about to cancel the order .Arnie

Getting the run around from LW is far better than getting a barrel from them in my experience.
:)

I am not a fan of experimenting with no name, known bad or other inexpensive barrels. When you calculate the time you spend putting in on, money you spend having it put on, driving to range, buying or loading ammo, shipping charges on barrels and ammo, the money you save is quickly eaten up, and you still have a no name barrel. You know who makes the good ones, just bite the bullet if you can and get one.

What you are buying is not only known quality barrel, but piece of mind that you have a good one. What is the difference in price? Top barrel is what 550? How much is a cheap one? 250? How much is shipping, ammo, fuel, build time or expense? Do the math.

Last edited:
I threw a DPMS on mine and the thing shoots sub-moa. Since then I haven't been able to bring myself to spend the big bucks on something else.

.308 is too expensive per round to shoot it from a cheap barrel. Rainier makes barrels they guarantee to be sub moa for a very reasonable cost.

No experience with ARD, but I will give a +1 on DPMS barrels. I've got two of them and both are sub MOA and one will get 1/4-1/2MOA on one of my good days. I've also used McGowen barrels with great results.

Has any one had experience with ARD barrels .They are from ar15 depot. Im looking for a 24 inch bull in 308 . I have been getting a run around for about 9 months now from Lothar Walther and am about to cancel the order .Arnie

Brux? I wouldn't get over a 20" and more than a medium profile either.

if you have to have a 24" bull 99% of the time DPMS ones shoot well and aren't expensive.

Im not worried about price but I have put this project on hold for almost a year now and was looking for something available that the ore for the barrel steel doesn't have to be mined and smelted before they can make it . I would like to have a Krieger or Bartlien or maybe a Lilja if I could find any of these . I recently got a Bartlien in 6.5 Grendel from Precision firearms so just sent him an email to see what he has .

Unfortunately DPMS are back logged a year also .I wish that Krieger was longer and heavier . The reason I ask about the ARD is I haven't heard of them either so was curious about quality.

Just ordered a 16" rifle gas 308 barrel from Lothar Wather. they are running a trial of the rifle gas ones and should be done in 3 weeks. not sure why you want such a long barrel. most of the data now suggests that all the powder is burned around 17" or so.

1000 yard shooters would laugh at 16 inch barrel on the line .

who said he is shooting on the "1000 yards on the line". they guys out here shooting where I am on the two way range would laugh at the guys toting 30" heavy barrels up the mountains.

an AR10 is not the best platform for super precise long range shooting. so, for me and what i want to use it for anything longer than a 16" in not worth it.

however, the orig post talked specifically about ordering a lother wather barrel, which is what i just ordered and why i replyed

Last edited:
1000 yard shooters would laugh at 16 inch barrel on the line .

You don't need more than 22" on a 308 semi though. If I had more time to search the threads here there was one a while back where it was determined beyond 22" there was really no benefit. a 20-22" barrel would put you on the 1K just as well as the 24".

who said he is shooting on the "1000 yards on the line". they guys out here shooting where I am on the two way range would laugh at the guys toting 30" heavy barrels up the mountains.

an AR10 is not the best platform for super precise long range shooting. so, for me and what i want to use it for anything longer than a 16" in not worth it.

however, the orig post talked specifically about ordering a lother wather barrel, which is what i just ordered and why i replyed

If you payed attention the person making the comment is the OP. And if you think a semi auto can't be "super precise for long range shooting" then maybe you should get off the bench and get out to a few real matches with shooters who actually know how to use a semi auto...