• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Barrel overheating

NJRaised

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2021
Port Murray NJ
Running a proof 223 barrel (bolt action). Heading to a shooting class which states a high volume of fire (relatively speaking) for a precision rifle course.

Do I have to be concerned about overheating a 223 match rifle (heavy Palma)? What’s about my limit before I need to be concerned?

I’ve done about 35 rounds before in 25 minutes, and the barrel was getting hot to the touch.

Running a proof 223 barrel (bolt action). Heading to a shooting class which states a high volume of fire (relatively speaking) for a precision rifle course.

Do I have to be concerned about overheating a 223 match rifle (heavy Palma)? What’s about my limit before I need to be concerned?

I’ve done about 35 rounds before in 25 minutes, and the barrel was getting hot to the touch.
Get a barrel cooler…and get this one that doesn’t go “eeeeee” and make the other students in the class want to kill you (ask me how o know. lol )

IME, you will def get your barrel hot in a clinic… hotter than you want, certainly.

I have the USB one and just hooked a small power bank to it. Works great. And I suggest not spending the extra money for their “pro” models. Not worth it in my experience.

Cheers and have fun in your class.

Reactions: lash and spife7980
the fact that some classes advertise high volume of fire as a perk baffles me
We are solidly in the camp of more brass on the ground does not automatically equate to good training.
Especially in a precision rifle class.

If you are putting more than 2 or 3 rounds downrange without breaking position, you are not efficiently using your ammo and not learning near as much.

A huge part of the equation is consistently and quickly building a solid and sustainable position with correct form around the gun. Ditto for for reading the conditions and interpreting that into a workable dope solution.

Once you get in that position and continue to just bang away, you are diluting your training and not putting time into skills that will have high reward.

You need to be getting information back from every round fired and comprehending what the result was.
You also need neutral off the gun time between iterations so you can digest what you just did before repeating.

Last edited:
We are solidly in the camp of more brass on the ground does not automatically equate to good training.
Especially in a precision rifle class.

If you are putting more than 2 or 3 rounds downrange without breaking position, you are not efficiently using your ammo and not learning near as much.

A huge part of the equation is consistently and quickly building a solid and sustainable position with correct form around the gun. Ditto for for reading the conditions and interpreting that into a workable dope solution.

Once you get in that position and continue to just bang away, you are diluting your training and not putting time into skills that will have high reward.

You need to be getting information back from every round fired and comprehending what the result was.
You also need neutral of the gun time between iterations so you can digest what you just did before repeating.
Totally understand that. Work is paying for the course, and I’ve heard from some our our sniper team that it was good training. Even if it’s not the best, it’s free, and it’s trigger time. I just don’t want to burn up my barrel in the process. I think they call for somewhere in the ball park of 175-200 rounds a day with a few extended strings of fire. It’s just 223 , so not a barrel burner by any means , but if I shoot 3-4 mags in short succession, I don’t want to be out $500 worth of barrel, or have to sit some shooting out.

LE courses can be spotty that way. You never know what to expect .

Just trying to make it through prs season before I turn this barrel off. Got about 3k through it now

Almost halfway through so you should be fine for the class and rest of the year’s matches.

35 rounds in 25 minutes is not a lot or fast. We used to shoot .308s at matches for 20-30 rounds in less than 2 minutes and the barrels were fine. Get a cooler as mentioned if you wanted to try and keep it as cool as possible at the class.

Almost halfway through so you should be fine for the class and rest of the year’s matches.

35 rounds in 25 minutes is not a lot or fast. We used to shoot .308s at matches for 20-30 rounds in less than 2 minutes and the barrels were fine. Get a cooler as mentioned if you wanted to try and keep it as cool as possible at the class.
I can’t even imagine one string of 35 rounds of 223 would hurt a precision barrel, right?

I can’t even imagine one string of 35 rounds of 223 would hurt a precision barrel, right?
I doubt there will be any 35 round strings of fire in any legitimate precision rifle class. 200 rounds in an 8 hour training day is 25 rounds an hour. Plenty of time for barrel to cool off. I personally don't put much faith in barrels coolers, just leave the bolt open, it'll cool off just fine.

Reactions: King_beardsly
I’ve read varminteers on a hot colony town will simply pour water down the barrel. Make it ice water if you want.

I’d hesitate to do this on a non-stainless barrel. Thinking of one of mine that rusts if you sneeze in its vicinity lol. Funny that some carbon barrels rust easier than others, even from the same brand.

Should be no problem for stainless barrels I would think. Heat from the barrel would probably evaporate any trace water left in the barrel. Or use a Patchworm or rod and mop out any water if you’d like.

Or just rub ice on the exterior. Or use ice packs.

These ideas (and more) are in the link below:

Last edited:
I’ve ripped a bunch of very spicy 6cheatmoor through a barrel in rapid succession without ill effects both during match setting and letting a few buddies burn up ammo that’s been collecting dust.